• Published 30th Mar 2014
  • 422 Views, 7 Comments

Untitled II. Alpha: The Feeling Of Being A Father - TimeRarity64



Rainbow Boltz is a widow raising Rainbow Dash the best he can. He begins to explain to his wife at her grave about the outcomes of being a father raising a child by himself, but from bad to worse, he is still proud in being there for Dash.

  • ...
4
 7
 422

Just Being Her Father...Means More Than Anything In This World

Author's Note:

Errors will be fixed eventually when I get around it The credits song is also not owned by me but from Final Fantasy VII On The Way To A Smile series. Enjoy the story, and love you all...especially you Moderator. -winks-

Untitled II.α: The Feeling of Being A Father


Rainbow Dash has grown up pretty quick since you were gone; already walking by the age of two like a healthy little girl. To be honest, I have never been so proud in my life to see our daughter so lively and stubborn. I guess when push comes to shove; she carries most of your traits, while the rest of mine comes from her natural color hair. She’s also learning how to speak clearly, though usually stumbles upon words in her sentences. I guess Dash is like any other foal, always willing to learn no matter what errors they cause.

Her bold nature and lack of awareness to the danger really makes me sweat nervously when we’re walking down the street to the store or to her school. A father would literally stress out all of the time if his daughter is dating some colt older than her, but this was a little girl we’re talking about. This little girl had energy, enthusiasm, and a fearless nature that nothing was going to stand in her way if she wanted to do something. Literally nothing. Rainbow Dash just never seems to let up…I think that is what makes her special honestly.

Heh, look at me, talking about how amazing our daughter is and ignoring the fact that me struggling in the Factory just to have food on the table and clothes for her is something to toss out of the window. It is hard raising her, honestly. Never had I imagined me, one single man, perhaps nine out of ten capable of surviving for this long but still feel stressed out to the last fiber in him. It is not easy, and it is not hard. It is just in the middle as if the marker to whatever borderline I am leaning on.

Sometimes, I feel like I am walking on a thin line, carrying our daughter over my shoulders without a pole to balance us and as I am crossing that line, I am sweating all the time. Most of the time I am clinging onto the last speck of hope out there, praying to Celestia something alleviate this painful ailing that has brought itself upon me with a powerful anvil like force. I have to complain to myself privately, most of the time in my head whenever I encounter some type of fault that gets in the way of our life.

I cry myself to sleep quietly whenever we are sleeping in the living room, thinking about how we’re going to manage ourselves tomorrow or if we ever are going to if we don’t get evicted. Those times when Rainbow Dash questions me quote: ‘Daddy, why are we not living like the other ponies in Ponyville and Canterlot.’ Unquote: I give her a fake smile and talk to her in a genuine tone that changes the subject all the time, explaining to her that they have a life different from ours and that we are almost there to becoming one of them. Becoming one of them? You have no idea how many times I said that to her that I am sure it is stuck in her head!

I cry on the inside when she comes home after being bullied countless of times from school about her wearing the same outfit for a year, every day, or comes to school with the same lunch I prepare for her. But what’s the hardball here…something that hurts me the most about it…she does not care. She walks with her chin held high and books against her chest and happily comes to me so we could go back to our apartment. She is proud in whom she is and yet I am not. I find myself the worse father in the world for not being able to provide the greatest things in the world for her. Especially on her birthdays in which all I could afford our special cupcakes, three exactly from my friend Cake at Ponyville. It is the best I can provide to her since I don’t have enough money to buy her a present.

Life never could be this hard, huh? Just slowly attacking one man with one little girl is by far torturous as well as struggling to maintain a job. Pain, stress, less fatigue, and the feeling that your life sucks is by far one of the greatest gifts life can give to you in its everyday basis if you are one man with one daughter living in a small apartment luckily able to have a television with one channel and other necessities to survive, exclude a large bed, we have a couch.

I’m sorry. I thought I could do this. I thought I could just simply make it through life like a normal dad and ensure she does well, but I was wrong. I was weak. I was pathetic. I had no reason in actually living like a man of his word. I contemplated on putting her up for adoption, you know? At least give her to a family that would raise her better than me as I struggle to end this terrible climate of sullen despair. That would have made her life easier to be separated from a coward. A COWARD who CAN’T [do] ANYTHING right!

But I was wrong.

On the day of her Elementary graduation, I received a call from my boss about my promotion and the hard work I was putting into the factory, more than any of the workers there. He wanted me to come over so that we could discuss plans. I thought it was amazing honestly, he offered me a better job…something I turned down for greater reasons. If you received a call of some promotion from him, it is best to go straight to his office or you will never get it again. To work in Canterlot’s Metal Manufacturing Factory as a manager. It was something no person could understand but me or some other business expert when it came down to financing and CEO techniques of marketing. But I could not miss my daughter’s graduation. Not for the world.

I turned it down as I said, for our daughter. I told him…I could not do such a thing and miss my baby’s most important day of her life. He told me he understood and hung up, with no anger or disappointment in his tone. Instead, it sounded like he was impressed. So I stood at our daughter’s school, watching her stand and earn her Elementary School graduation certificate. She was so proud of herself as much as I was for her.

When she was ready to leave, I gave her the longest hug I could ever imagine. Our daughter was going to Middle School.

Surprisingly, on our way home, my boss was standing at our doorway, smiling. He had that impressed smirk you used to see a lot on him whenever someone did something spectacular in front of him. Something I would never imagine to see again before me.

“Congratulations, Rainbow Dash and Rainbow Boltz.”

You have no idea how long I paused in shock when the wind began brushing across my skin and Rainbow Dash was tugging my hand to get my attention. When I regained my thoughts and my mind began functioning, my boss gave a light laugh and patted me on the shoulder. He held up a key and a piece of note.

“You impressed me for so long I think you deserve this.”

I did not question him, how could I honestly? He put a house key in my hand along with a note of some address. Rainbow Dash was curious as she peaked at the note, unwrapping it from my hand.

“Daddy, what address is this and why is it in Ponyville?”

Had Celestia answered my prayers? Were you behind this? I had no idea how to answer this to Rainbow Dash properly or even sum up the words. To be honest, I literally answered her for the first time, “I don’t know.”

“Canterlot is a busy place, as well as here. I’m sure you are aware that your daughter’s middle school will be located in Ponyville, so traveling won’t be much of an issue. But…here’s a catch…” I gulped once he had that traditional grin on his face, “You can live in Ponyville and able to manage a well-paying job as a co-manager at my son’s business while also able to live in a house big enough for two people if you agree to this promotion. If you do not wish for the promotion, you can still work for me, but all of those valuable assets such as that key won’t be given to you anymore like the last few who never took the opportunity to see me.”

He basically was telling me to take the promotion in order to save us from this horrible life style. I clutched the key and note and smiled at him, nodding my head that I would take the promotion. Dear, honestly…what I said before…I just never thought it would come to this. Being finally able to ensure our daughter would actually have a great lifestyle, not worrying about skipping a meal for a day or two or wearing the same clothes. Life was not so cruel after all.

Do you want to know something though?

Something I could never be so happy about.

Something that gave me a real reason to cry about instead of cry and complain all the time about.

Rainbow Dash was still proud of me and herself. Throughout the hell we were through she did not once cried or hated the fact we lived through that. She did not care at all about it. All she cared about…was me. I…during her graduation…when I hugged her…the feeling of putting her up for adoption vanished.

I was out of my mind after thinking about that. Irrational mostly. But…I was happy I toss that thought out.

I was happy.

I was happy for us.

I was happy for her.

And she was happy for me.

And you.

-Fin-

CREDITS

Comments ( 7 )

A sequel about their new life in Ponyville?:twistnerd: Pretty pleease

Aww, that was really sweet.
There are a few little mistakes here and there, but it's not much.
You managed to put a lot in such a small story. Very nice. :twilightsmile:

4154867 Do what he says! :flutterrage:
.....please? :fluttercry:

4156127
4154867 Oh don't worry, I already am. It's an Untitled part of this which would be the first Untitled story to be canon. Perhaps getting into Middle School life for RD and new found love for RB is what I'm hoping to do. But I need to make sure this story is a bit recognizable before working on a sequel.

4156398 yeah, the fic itself needs a bit of touching up, but the premise for the story is what really gained my favourite. :pinkiecrazy:
So take your time with the sequel and such things, you can't rush perfection. In fact you can't even achieve perfection, no one can. Being perfect is near impossible. :rainbowwild: but you can get damn close to it.

Login or register to comment