• Published 27th Feb 2014
  • 535 Views, 12 Comments

In Total, He's not that Bad. - Grey Faerie



Princess Celestia gets a letter from a citizen of Ponyville.

  • ...
4
 12
 535

A Favor

Dear Princess Celestia,

I write to you in hopes that your judgement of my father could be swayed. I will be omitting his name until the end to deter any prior opinion from getting in the way. I'm hoping you will read this and come to an understanding of who he is. There is a favor I wish to impart upon you.

My father's never been perfect. Even from the beginning. I remember the beginning. I remember the very moment I was brought into being. It's not hard when you're a Temporary Existence. A TE is born from another's own magic. A living embodiment of their magic or power. They are created to serve the creator for what ever reason for which they were brought into being. I was to serve a purpose. My father need to a safe place to hide his power. He need to make himself less powerful so he created me to hold his excess power.

The reason for this was because he wanted to go to another dimension to play and vacation. He also felt it was too unfair to be so powerful. It would be more fun to be a more even ground with the opposition. Especially if there was a chance to lose. I had felt for a time that he was always vacationing. Where was the work? What did he do? I questioned that as he would carried me around every place he went. I was young for so long. Young in age and in innocence.

I watched what he did. I did as he did. I played with the locals as he did. I learned how to pull the best pranks and gamble against the house. I did so many things that were...questionable. But I learned. My father had a strange way of teaching others morals. His games always seemed to be such fun. They seemed to be a form of entertainment. But, there were times I tried to emulate him only to anger him. I wasn't doing as he intended. The object of the game, though sometimes cruel, was to teach a lesson. They had to play his game. They had to succumb to their own weaknesses or had to think beyond their level of existence. But, did the end justify the means? Yes, I believe it did.

He had taught me his own form of right and wrong. He had told me about the other places he had been before my creation. I learned that in truth, he wants peace. He wants justice. But too often peace and justice is aligned with a bland order. the one thing he had ever wanted most was to live. To truly live as one could only do by being surrounded by friends and family.

He taught me that there is no meaning in a black and white world. That there must always be order and disorder just as there is good and bad. He told me of his long-lost family friend who was the Embodiment of Order. Of how they were such good friends at one time. Order helped to raise the new Disorder. They have no reason to fight as so many believe. They know that they could not exist without the other and that life would be unlivable without the other.

He left me at times. Sometimes, it was because he couldn't take me with him. Sometimes, he needed to be alone. Others, because he didn't want me to see the darker parts of him. I would not lie about it. His darkness is stained with blood. Yet, he is not evil. And he never would be. It is not apart of who he is. One cannot have fun when all the guest are dead. Just as there is not meaning in killing the guests.

He carried me around and left me as he saw fit. All to show he cared. He never wished for me to feel abandoned or forced into a life I never wanted. When we came here, this world was so much different. There was so much turmoil. I believe he relished it. But he also saw a need. It was a hard time for him, to choose helping in his way or taking advantage. At first, he filled the needed spot as much as he could. Life was hard and...inconvenient. But was any blood shed? Wasn't there a sense of peace among his form of turmoil?

I believe, in truth, that your arrival was what moved him from ruler to tyrant. He couldn't help himself. Finally, the needed rulers had come. It was now to test them in that annoying way of his. His annoying but so needed, helpful way. It is my belief at times, that even he can't control what he does. That is the consequence of being a Universal Concept. What he tests, is not just a being, but a concept. Challenging the main theme of a world. This world's theme is of love, tolerance and friendship. I had learned over time what work he was always trying to vacation from. In a way, his only work was to simply exist. As is my work is. It is a damning existence.

One thing I've always wanted for my father was friends. His work and his very nature has lead him to being excluded from many relationships. Others simply find it easier to put up with his annoying ways. But, does that make them friends? No, it doesn't. We have suffered from the affliction of loneliness too long. I am young and spirited. I've survived. He is not so lucky.

I live in a nice place now. A town you know much about. I work in my own notions shops. I hope to get married. I have OCD as well. He has never bothered me about it. In part because it is a common condition TE's have. I know that when I do find Mr. Right, my father will be there to inspect him. He'll be there to see that my happiness is first. He'll be making my wedding dress and cry at the ceremony. I am all the proof one would need to see that he has love in him. That he has good. There are parts about him that could be changed. Some that can not. Parts that are from years of being by himself. But in total, he's not that bad. So, I ask now that favor. Wouldn't you give him a second chance?


Sincerely,

Screwball aka Button Stitch, Daughter of Discord

Author's Note:

Button Stitch is the main character from The Turning of the Screwball - The Strange Case of Button Stitch. I loved the character so much I adopted the headcannon and changed a few things to fit into my universe.

Comments ( 12 )

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

they know that they could not exist without the other and that live would be unlivable without the other.

Capitalize the beginning of the sentence, and change 'live' to 'life', and you're golden. Also, A.K.A. is usually capitalized, with periods in-between the letters.

I didn't catch any other errors, and I found the letter quite touching. Good job!

4012073
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I see you love to use this face.

4012106
Duh, who doesn't like to ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

4012147
Praise the face.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also nice fic it just needs some fine editing.

Short, sweet, awesome. :pinkiesmile:

Just skim through this a few times for errors that I'm too lazy to point out and you should be all set. :twilightblush:

4012075
I got it fixed. Thanks. :pinkiehappy:

4012152
What kind of fine editing? I think the grammar and spelling is okay. Do you see any places I can expand on or do I need to put in more information about something?

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I hope Warren Hutch knows you're using his character's name. >.>

4039312
I think he does. He should! I always refer back to his story so I'm not trying to steal it. I just love the character so much!:heart:

4039312
I didn't realize I forgot to put in a note about the character! I have it in all my other stories.

Login or register to comment