• Published 3rd Mar 2014
  • 1,865 Views, 27 Comments

The Great and Powerful Ace Attorney - TundraStanza



A few years have passed since that case in which Trixie failed to get revenge against Twilight and her friends. Now, she's going to try being on the opposite side of the court. How hard can that be?

  • ...
5
 27
 1,865

Ch. 3: Turnabout Epilogue

4:20 PM

New Pony's River House

*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

"Hello?" asked Righty Tidy. "Anypony home?"

"You might want to try knocking harder," suggested Trixie, while levitating a large and smooth rock.

*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

A familiar voice from inside hollered, "Vinyl, if that's you looking for a free room again, I swear I'm going to-" The door opened and the slightly messy pegasus pony was holding the knob. His eyes opened wide at the number of sudden visitors. "Oh, it's you guys. What are you doing here?"

"We were hoping to have a little chat with you." Sonata idly tapped her glasses.

"I... see..." New Pony half-frowned. "Um... would you like to come inside?"

"That shouldn't be necessary." Princess Twilight Sparkle waved a hoof dismissively. She expressed a gentle smile. "We just wanted to ask an important question or two."

The Great and Powerful Trixie harrumphed. "Let's not waste time sugar-coating our words. You know who the mysterious figure that attacked Trixie's cart is. Don't you, New Pony?"

Righty Tidy leaned back and grimaced. Twilight leaned left while holding up a hoof in self-defense. Sonata's hoof against her glasses was less idle and more stationary against the bridge this time. New Pony added a sweat drop to the side of his wide-eyed face.

"Well... I... I might have inklings about whom that pony was, but..." He swallowed a pocket of air rather audibly.

"But what?" Trixie leaned in closer, her eyes not blinking as they focused her determination at him.

"It's just..."

Take that!

Sonata faintly heard a grinding noise. Large chains of metal grew out of nowhere. They blocked her vision of anything aside from the ponies that she was standing near. But in particular, a decoratively red box with a lock on it appeared just in front of New Pony's chest.

"I actually don't know who that was." The shine in New Pony's eyes wobbled a bit.

"Psyche-lock," Sonata whispered.

"What was that?" Trixie turned her head toward the other unicorn in the party.

Sonata nudged her glasses down ever so slightly. "It seems this stallion has a little secret that he deems protecting."

"It... was nice to see you all again," prompted New Pony, moving the door's opening to be a bit narrower.

Trixie used her great and powerful aura to force the door to remain open. "Just a moment, New Pony. We're not finished yet. There's still a potential threat on the loose and my... colleague here senses that you have information that could help us find them."

Trixie just needs to give you a reason to spill the beans, she thought.

He slammed a hoof down. "This doesn't concern you!"

Take that!

Trixie floated up a particular list of names. "Trixie wagers that this concerns at least half of our little group here. You can thank Ms. Sunset Shimmer for bringing this to our attention."

"Wait, let me see that." New Pony grabbed the parchment. His eyes quickly panned the width of the page multiple times. After reading it all, he gasped. "These are... all of the friends I made here in Ponyville over the last two years. You mean to tell me that she's... ah!"

"You still think this is just your problem?" ventured Sonata. "Trixie was but one potential target on that list. If you're willing to help us, you could potentially be saving a lot of other ponies' lives as well."

"I... sweet Celestia..." New Pony lowered the list as well as his gaze to the floor. "All right, you win."

The result of that little presenting was only apparent to Sonata. Like glass, the red box shattered. With nothing to bind them in place, the chains reeled back into nonexistence. She hummed in satisfaction.

"The pony that burned down Trixie's cart that night could only have been..."

---

4:30 PM

????

You don't get it. None of you do!

It's the same thing in every place you run to. You keep shoving me away, trying to wipe me from your life, and replacing me with a bunch of new faces!

But I haven't forgotten you.

In fact, I'm the only one who can say your full name without being interrupted.

You are...

---

"Pro Tack Honest!"

All trains of thought froze for New Pony. It was that voice. That voice was the one that haunted his nightmares... laughing at him, torturing him, screaming in his face in the most poorly-drawn jumpscare pose ever. It was like an evil panda.

...

But as quickly as the moment came, it was engulfed in a huge fire.

"What the sparkplug is going on?!" screamed Righty.

Twilight's eyes and magic raced over to the nearby river. "Trixie, help me douse the fire!"

"R-Right!" Trixie shouted with a less than powerful stutter. Her magic glowed with greatness to make up for it.

Two ponies' worth of magenta magic guided the water toward the base of the house and against the roofs.

"New Pony, move!" called Righty. She sprinted forward, bit his mane, and pulled him away from the rising blaze just behind his tail.

Off to the corner of the house, a moving shadow caught the attention of Sonata. While the other two magic wielders focused on taking care of the fire, the gray unicorn made a dash toward the escaping shadow. But the shape was gaining a bit of air. She would never be able to catch up to a flying culprit. At least, she wouldn't be able.

Gotcha!

The shadow lost any sign of darkness as the investigator guard put his disabling training to good use. It was quickly followed by two sets of cuffs, one for the culprit's wings and one for the front hooves.

"You're under arrest for serial arson," declared Zincro while his partner held them down.

"Good work, boys," complimented Sonata.

"Just answering your call, Sonata," insisted Copper.

---

4:33 PM

New Pony's House

The Great and Powerful Trixie was panting great and powerful breaths. "Aren't you... even... a little... tired?"

"A little bit," admitted Twilight.

However, Trixie managed to greatly compose herself as Sonata and the police trotted back with their quarry. Said quarry was keeping her eyes down. New Pony was still trembling a bit, both from the culprit's presence and his most recent save from a house fire. Righty did her best to hold him steady.

"Wild... Fyre..." he murmured in trepidation.

The pegasus mare turned her head and harrumphed at the mention of her name.

"So, we meet at last, Miss Cart Burner!" declared Trixie.

Sonata deadpanned. "He just called her 'Wild Fyre'."

"Right, what did Trixie say?"

Sonata bemusedly adjusted her glasses in response.

Twilight posed the one question that needed an answer. "Why? Why did you go through all that trouble to set fire to somepony else's property?"

"What? Can't figure it out even as a princess?" spat Fyre. "You've set fire to your own property before. Why is my performing of the act suddenly not okay?"

"First of all, it only happened to my mane," corrected Twilight. "Second, using the goal post fallacy doesn't answer my question."

"If...If you have... something against... me," added New Pony with hesitation, "w-why did you target the ponies I interacted with... instead of... striking me... directly?"

"You really don't get it, do you?" Fyre shook her head. "I don't have anything against you. My heart burns brightest because I don't want anything to happen to you."

"What?" Trixie tilted her head.

"What?" Righty's brow rose slightly.

"What?" Sonata turned to look at Fyre.

"What?" Twilight squinted in disbelief.

"What... are you... talking... about?" asked New Pony between trembles.

"I love you, you idiot!" Fyre yanked against her chains, grinding her teeth. "But you kept throwing your life away at those other ponies! I had the perfect wedding planned out and everything. I had to get rid of them all. I had to be discreet. But as soon as you went into court and brought the things I've done into the public's attention, I couldn't do that anymore."

New Pony whispered, "What the heck?" Then, he spoke up with more stability. "I never said I liked you-liked you."

"But that's what you projected to me!" shouted Fyre. "Every day that you exist is proof that you and I were meant to be! If I can't have you, no pony can! That's why... That's why I have to set you on fire so that I can keep your ashes with me forever!"

...

...

...

"You're a loony," said Righty at last.

"That's more than enough of a confession from her," commented Sonata. "Take her away."

"Yes, Ma'am," said Copper with a nod. He and Zincro led the culprit out of sight.

...

...

...

"Are you alright, New Pony?" asked Righty carefully.

The stallion sighed. "You know what? I am feeling a bit better."

"I don't know about the rest of you," said Twilight with an exhale, "but I'm beat."

"Trixie begrudgingly agrees with you, Princess Sparkle," admitted Trixie.

"Perhaps we should all grab some dinner and then hit up the spa," suggested Sonata. "How about it, New Pony? I'd like to get to know you a little better."

"Really? I can come too?" asked New Pony in surprise.

"Of course," insisted Sonata. "Just be sure to thank Trixie in advance."

"Yes, be sure to thank the Great and Powerful Trixie," boasted the new ace attorney. Though, it took her a great three seconds before it dawned on her what Sonata said. "Wait... 'in advance'?"

"Oh, well then thank you, Trixie," said New Pony with a nod. "You're a really good friend for doing this."

"Doing... what?" Trixie did not like the possibility of what was being implied.

"Thank you, Trixie," said Twilight.

"Many thanks, Miss Trixie," said Righty.

"Wait just a haystacking minute!" demanded Trixie powerfully with a hoof stomp.

"Hmm?" Righty turned her head.

"What's up?" asked New Pony.

"Is something wrong, Trixie?" Twilight tilted her head.

"Yes, Trixie," said Sonata with a smile. "Whatever is the matter?"

If the impromptu party thought for one measly second that The Great and Powerful Trixie was going to cover all the evening's expenses, then there was one last thing she had to say as they were about to gallop for it.

Objection!

---

Special thanks goes to...

PWaaMLPfim for the work that went into the Turnabout Storm video series

---

"Miss Trixie?" Righty echoed the passerby. "Well, I owe a lot to her for proving my innocence. She's really nice when you get to know her."

---

Capcom and Shu Takumi for the original Ace Attorney video game series

---

"What do you want?" grumbled Dr. Digit. "I'm stuck here while I wait for my final sentence." He rubbed his eye that's missing a monocle. "Huh? What do I think of Trixie?" He scoffed. "Well, I can't get in more trouble than celestial banishment, so I might as well get this off my chest." He sighed. "That Trixie pony? She's got her head so far up her rear that she can bite her own intestine."

---

Hasbro, DHX Media, and Lauren Faust for the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic television series

---

"Stay on top of your evidence and your deduction skills, Trixie." Sonata pulled off her glasses and wiped them with a small cloth. "There are prosecutors out there that are even more rigid than Arm-And-Oh and myself." She adjusted her necktie. "And... maybe you can show your empathy with your clients more often."

---

SourceRabbit for the Turnabout Spa video two-parter

---

"I'm glad to see you again after all this time, Trixie," said Twilight with a smile. "It's not just the difference in which side of the court you're on. I really admired your recognition of the need to chase the truth. You may have helped the ponies of the court further cement the idea that Phoenix originally told them." She held up a hoof. "I hope we can come to a day where we can really call each other friends."

---

Filly Gamez for the Welcome to Ponyville visual novel

---

"I don't mind, Trixie," insisted New Pony with a shrug of his wing. "You can stay as long as you need to until you find more suitable housing. It was my offer to you in the first place." He suddenly backed up and opened his eyes in surprise. "Oh... uh... I don't really have the room for a third..." He scratched the back of his neck with a hoof. "Well, okay. But if Righty's staying too, you'll need to decide on somepony to sleep on the floor. I'm sorry. I just don't have the bits available right now for yet another bed."

---

The Hedgehog Dragonoid for letting me borrow an OC for the first judge pony

The Poetic Frost for letting me borrow an OC for the second judge pony

---

"You know, you're a lot different than the Trixie I'm familiar with," admitted Sunset Shimmer. "Maybe the next time I come for a visit, we can just get together and chat a little bit." She chuckled nervously. "I guess that isn't really the first thing that you'd want to do. But, eventually I could give you a few tips on how to utilize that teleport spell without disharmonious jewelry. What do you think?"

---

... and you for reading this all the way through.

---

Thanks for playing.

End.

Author's Note:

Let's break the brown (hiatus) with a little green (complete).

Comments ( 3 )

Wait, seriously?! I- no, WE waited over 2 months for the next chapter, and you give us a measly 2.5k ENDING?! What the actual FUCK?!

Great story! Definitely going in my favorites, but I do still have a few questions. The most important one being who is new pony actually, some other people seem to know, but I have no idea who it is.

8059646 , I based New Pony's identity on the protagonist of an old, no longer available, fan-made, visual novel called "Welcome to Ponyville". I took a few liberties and added extra backstory. The Filly Gamez team never released beyond part 1 of the project before they seemed to disappear from the face of the Earth. I had to improvise to fill in some of the blanks.

Login or register to comment