• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,840 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,840

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 57 - Remit


With a long stretching yawn, Rainbow Dash woke up, and discovered her back and the base of her wings felt terrible. She groaned as she rolled onto her side, taking her weight off her wings. Ugh, fantastic. You were supposed to stay for a little while, not actually fall asleep, genius.

A soft grumble sounded from beside Rainbow Dash when she moved.

Keeping her eyes closed, not yet ready to wake up, Rainbow Dash tried to fall back asleep. It was not as if there was any point in getting up now, or at least that was her excuse beyond simply not feeling like it. With the most pressing sensation taken care of however, she took notice of another. Unlike most of her body, which was exposed to the cool air, her chest and neck felt surprisingly warm and restricted. It felt comfortable enough for Rainbow Dash to ignore it for the time being.

It must have been morning, as the birds outside were already chirping and singing merrily. While Rainbow Dash did her best to tune out the noise, a series of wooden creaks drew her attention, soon followed by hoofsteps coming into the room.

The sound suddenly came to a complete stop, allowing for Rainbow Dash to try drifting off again.

“O-oh, my,” Fluttershy stuttered.

Rainbow Dash lazily opened up one eye half way, looking up at Fluttershy as she stood in the doorway. She gave a smile to her friend and raised up one wing to wave at her. Yawning as she spoke, “Morning Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy stood still with one hoof over her mouth, which puzzled Rainbow Dash greatly. She followed Fluttershy’s gaze back to the bed and blinked. Trixie had wrapped her forelegs around Rainbow’s chest and snuggled up against her in her sleep. The undisturbable unicorn’s lips were curled up in a blissful smile.

Even if they were both on opposite sides of the blanket, Rainbow Dash’s cheeks burned while she looked back at Fluttershy and quickly shook her head. “T-this is not what it looks like,” she hissed urgently.

“Y-you shouldn’t sleep in somepony else’s bed without permission.” Fluttershy turned without another word, then trotted back out the bedroom.

Rainbow Dash could swear she saw something glisten under her eyes, and struggled to untangle herself from Trixie. Once free she spread her wings and flew after Fluttershy quickly, catching up to her downstairs.

Fluttershy had her back turned to Rainbow Dash, and kept it that way while she walked to the fireplace. She prodded at the long dead charcoal, and only succeeded in kicking up a cloud of ashes. Fluttershy winced, then she turned back around and rubbed her eyes clean, leaving some black traces on her muzzle and slightly teary eyes. “O-oh, hey, Rainbow. I-I just thought I should get breakfast ready for you.”

Did she get ashes in her eyes, Or? Rainbow Dash shook her head. “Never mind, never mind just uh…h-hold on a second. Uhm, sorry for falling asleep in your bed, but I can explain. I didn’t just fall asleep on the job I swear. Trixie woke up and asked me to stay with her, for nightmares.”

Fluttershy blinked. “Trixie woke up? She asked you to uh… O-okay. Th-that’s great news.” She smiled warmly at Rainbow Dash, but to Rainbow Dash’s disappointment the expression soon changed to one of worry. “Oh no, she must have been so hungry then, did you find everything okay? Do I need to make more? Ah breakfast!” Fluttershy rambled.

“Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash tried.

“I need to make for three now, I better set another plate too! And and—“

“Fluttershy! Hey, relax. I got this. Trixie ate plenty, and I took her outside for a while until she was tired out, so she probably won’t wake up for a while anyway. That was one of her requests by the way, not my idea so don’t blame me.” She grinned at Fluttershy.

Breathing a sigh of relief with the rapid explanation, Fluttershy’s expression soon changed from worry to back to a smile. “Oh, good.”

Rainbow Dash looked Fluttershy over, and reached up one wing to brush the ashes out of Fluttershy’s fur, clearing her adorable face of the minor blemish. “That’s better. Oh, that’s right. I have something important I need to talk to you about.”

Fluttershy cooed softly as the wing brushed over her cheek, then blushed furiously. “O-oh? Uhm, what is it?” She gasped as Rainbow Dash stepped in closer to her quickly, and slid both hooves around her neck, pulling into a tight hug. “R-Rainbow Dash?”

“I’m sorry! I was so lame while you were doing your best to be brave the whole time! I-I never should have said those awful things, you’re cool, and brave, and, and. I’m proud of you for everything, not just the dragon, though that was totally awesome.”

Throwing her hooves around Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy returned the hug, pulling close as she shook. Rainbow Dash could only see Fluttershy’s wings tremble on her back while she held her. “Oh, Rainbow Dash…” Fluttershy barely choked out.

They held their embrace for several minutes. For once, Rainbow Dash did not pull away and reveled in the soft feeling of Fluttershy’s embrace. She stroked over Fluttershy’s back comfortingly with one hoof, and nuzzled against her mane. “I’m sorry…” She repeated again.

“I-it’s okay, I forgive you. I just…. I really wanted to hear you say that.” Fluttershy hugged a little tighter. For such a gentle creature, Rainbow Dash was sure Fluttershy could strangle bears if she truly felt like it.

Holding one another for longer than either of them kept track of, it was only when a sudden noise came from upstairs that they let go of one another and backed up enough each give a puzzled look at the other, then turned their attention to the stairs.


Trixie stirred and mumbled softly, her eyes opened halfway. Mercifully, the darkened room was easy on her eyes. She licked her dry lips groggily while she looked beside her. To her surprise, that half of the bed was empty, Rainbow Dash was nowhere to be found.

In an instant, Trixie sat upright in the bed and scanned the room. A-a dream? … Aw. Of course it was... Sighing, she let herself fall back down, turning onto her flank to claim the empty half of the bed back. After all it seemed silly to reserve it now.

Burrowing her head in the pillow, Trixie sighed and took a deep breath to calm down. A familiar scent found its way to her nose, it relaxed her. Mhm, fresh rain… Wait, it’s not raining. Trixie blinked puzzled and a brief investigation revealed it was the pillow.

Trixie let out a delighted cheer and pulled the pillow into a tight hug. The strong rain scent on it proof that she had not been dreaming after all; everything that happened with Rainbow Dash had been real, making Trixie giddy with happiness as a warm feeling spread through her chest.

It is true! T-Trixie really did, did, all that Her cheeks burned hot while she tried to hide herself in the pillow, but that only made her more excited. She replayed the memories of the previous evening back in her mind. Even if Rainbow Dash was a total talentless jerk, she somehow managed to make up for it, and then some.

Finally, Trixie forced herself to her hooves. She felt so refreshed, like she had not slept so well in months. She did not need a mirror to tell she was glowing, as she knew exactly why her night had been so good.

I wonder where she went? It’s not that late is it? Maybe she’s helping Fluttershy with the chores. The trip from the bed to the stairs was a short one, though to Trixie’s annoyance she could already tell it wore on her. At least she could take solace in the idea that Fluttershy’s cottage was much smaller than even the hospital wing.

Leaning against the wall to conserve her strength, Trixie made her way down the stairs, allowing herself a long yawn while she looked towards the fireplace. A smile on her face as she recognized Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash where both there, then nearly lost her footing in surprise as she realized what they were doing and slipped two steps before she recovered.

Trixie tried to scramble backwards up to the room, intending to give the pair some privacy, but it was too late. Both of them were staring directly at her, and the best Trixie could manage was an awkward little grin while she waved one hoof. “Uh… Good morning?”

Trixie laid her ears flat, she could see how uncomfortable they both were. Holding one another, each with tears in their eyes. Trixie assumed it must have been Rainbow Dash making good on her conviction to apologize to Fluttershy at the crack of dawn.

“T-Trixie is sorry, she will uh, just go back to bed. Probably still dreaming, hehe, yeah.” She shuffled about unsteadily on the stairs, trying to turn around.

Rainbow Dash spoke up first, extending a hoof up to Trixie to beckon her closer, keeping the other around Fluttershy. “Trixie, wait. Come down here.” She turned her attention back to Fluttershy while Trixie resumed her climb down stairs, unsure what she was needed for. “Fluttershy, I… I didn’t figure this out on my own. Trixie helped me realize.” There was a hurt tone in Rainbow Dash’s voice as she admitted to it.

Nodding lightly, Fluttershy smiled at Trixie while they exchanged a knowing look. “Trixie, thank you so much.” Moisture beaded in her eyes as she spoke.

As much as Trixie had hated to see Fluttershy cry the day before, these were altogether different in kind, and she could not help but smile satisfied. “What are friends for?” She paused before the pair, and looked towards Rainbow Dash questioningly.

Rainbow Dash chuckled. “You’ve been playing dumb haven’t you? You’ve got a pretty good handle on this whole friend thing already.”

Trixie shrugged and gave a sly grin. “Trixie had a lousy teacher, so she had to pick up some self-study along the way. On the other hoof, the flight lessons were pretty good.”

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash exchanged a look, which Rainbow Dash defused with a cheesy grin and an awkward laugh. “I have no idea what you are talking about, Trixie. Now how about you shut up before I change my mind. This is only fair after all…”

“What do you me—Woah!”

Without waiting for a reply, Rainbow Dash reached forward a hoof and pulled Trixie into the embrace as well. Fluttershy quickly caught on and slipped one hoof around Trixie as well, going along with the impromptu group hug and smiled at the pair.

Trixie’s body moved almost entirely on its own as she was pulled in, her hooves slipping around the pair of pegasi before she even realized what she was doing. A tingling warmth unlike anything before spread through her whole body as she was allowed to share in the moment, then she hugged both of them as closely as she could. Tears finally came to her eyes as well.

“T-thank you both. This is wonderful!”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.


The things you learn while trying to title a chapter.
Today's word "Remit" means to forgive. (Among other things, which are not relevant here.)
Trixie gets included in a moment she helped create. Dawww.
If RD had still been beside Trixie when she woke up this might be her best morning ever, actually it might still be.

PreviousChapters Next