• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,836 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,836

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49 - Really


Applejack rolled her eyes. “Look, why don’t ya just skip over it then if ya ain’t gonna say it without derailing?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “Fine, so Fluttershy is tasked with actually talking to the dragon. Because you know, she already does so well talking with everypony else that talking with a huge dragon is totally gonna work out.”

“Trixie thought Fluttershy had spoken to a manticore before. It cannot be that different?”

“I know right! That’s what we thought! But nope, turns out she’s scared to death of dragons. Err I mean like more so than usual I guess, but she was also scared of telling anypony about this before we got her up there.” Rainbow Dash struck her face with her hoof and dragged it down.

“Wait, you mean to tell Trixie nopony asked her? And come to think of it, wasn’t it really obvious she did not want to be there?” Trixie found it hard to believe they had literally dragged Fluttershy up the mountain without noticing.

“Well it ain’t like we didn’t notice, Trixie, but Fluttershy was our best chance fer dealing with that dragon without ending up like one of yer twelve saga’s. Sure she was a mite scared in getting there, but all of us were there to help her through it.”

Rainbow Dash brushed it off. “Yeah yeah just lemme get to the good part.” The thought of it seemed to have reignited her excitement and her impatience as she had trouble to sit still, even more than before anyway.

Applejack paused briefly to glare up at Rainbow Dash, then looked back to Trixie. “Almost all of us,” she muttered.

Trixie blinked in confusion and stared up at Rainbow Dash. Just what is all this?

“Alright so since Fluttershy was too scared, Each of us took turns going into the dragon’s cave. Twilight tried persuasion, Rarity charm, Pinkie Pie… well she was Pinkie Pie.”

Trixie tilted her head, this was the second time she’d heard something about the pink one that felt a bit off. “Trixie assumes none of those worked, then what happened?” If she was not looking right at the ponies she would have been sure they all got eaten as they went into the cave.

Rainbow Dash grinned. “I kicked its jaw!”

“…Trixie must be worse than she thought. She hallucinated for a moment that you said you kicked an actual dragon in the face and lived to tell about it.”

“Totally did that! And it worked too, he came right out of that cave!” Rainbow Dash pumped her hoof.

“You are trying to tell Trixie that you chased out a huge dragon with physical force? YOU chased that dragon off the mountain? There is nothing that you could say that Trixie would find harder to believe than that!” Trixie stared at Rainbow Dash incredulously.

“Oh don’t ya worry Trixie, that there dragon was in no hurry ta go anywhere. Why it roared at Rainbow so hard she fled straight outa that cave without even stopping ta look where she went. Crashed right into all of us, except Fluttershy who’d been hiding already, good idea in hindsight.”

“Hey! I did NOT flee! He just blew me away with his breath, which was horrible by the way. It smelled like some of that stuff Rarity keeps in jars to put on her hooves. Just, eww.” Rainbow Dash shivered, apparently somehow more disturbed by the idea of the jars than she was by the actual dragon.

Trixie noticed Fluttershy had retreated behind her mane, as though she expected something scary to happen in the next few moments. Is she scared of them fighting? Trixie will put a stop to that then She cleared her throat. “Whatever, just tell The Great and Powerful Trixie what happened next. Now!”

Rainbow Dash looked up from impeding argument with Applejack. “Huh what? Oh right yeah! So there we were, bravely fighting this massive adult dragon, and totally NOT running around like chickens. When he unleashed his most deadly weapon, his breath!”

Trixie gasped. “He tried to burn all of you? How did you survive?” She noticed Fluttershy had not improved either, and assumed this must have been the part she dreaded then. So that didn’t help at all…

“No no weren’t you listening? He just breaths out horrible smelling smoke, it’s just that he does it like a hurricane! He hit all of us and smacked us right into the rocks. We were totally out of the fight, or they were, I was almost back on my hooves when suddenly—”

Trixie eye’s widened. “Have you taken complete leave of your senses? Who’s ever heard of a dragon that can only breath smoke? Where did you think that smoke was coming from? On second thought don’t answer that! If anything he was still groggy and warming up his fire breath, since you did say he was sleeping when you got there. If he had been just a little more awake you’d all be pony barbeque!” Trixie could not believe what complete foals they had been. The thought that they were all just a literal breath away from death was insane.

Rainbow Dash actually dropped out of her cocky attitude for a moment, and looked concerned. “Hey Trixie, relax it’s okay. We got lucky I get it, don’t get so worked up or…”

Trixie blinked as she noticed the sudden change in Rainbow Dash, and found the same kind look in the eyes of Fluttershy and Applejack. It was only when her attention was not solely on the story that she realized what made them so upset. Trixie found she was hyperventilating badly and there was a tight feeling in her chest, her hooves were shaking. “I-I… y-yes of course. Trixie is not sure what happened. It’s only a story.” For just a moment, she pictured three empty spots in the grass were the trio were seated, then quickly shook her head.

“Ah reckon it is getting mighty late, what say we put off this story till another day?” Applejack offered.

“Wait, no. Trixie does not want to ruin it for everyone. Please continue, Trixie will be cool.” She stared at Rainbow Dash and gave a small smirk.

Rainbow Dash gave a groan. “Oh come on, I should refuse to tell you just for that you know.” She turned her attention towards Fluttershy. “I don’t know. Fluttershy, do you think this is a good idea?”

“Oh, me? Uhm. Yes. It’s probably less stressful to know the whole story? Uhm that’s just what I think so…”

“Well you are the expert, and it is pretty much your story so that’s two for two right there.” With a grin, Rainbow Dash settled back into her story. “So there we were, smashed against the rocks, I was about to get up and get serious of course. But then out of nowhere, Fluttershy appears!”

Trixie raised her brows. “Uhm, Rainbow Dash, you already told Trixie that Fluttershy was there, repeatedly.”

“No that is not what I mean. Get this! Fluttershy flies right up to that dragon and lands on his muzzle, and yells at him! I don’t remember it too well since my ears were ringing, but I know she made that dragon cry! She saved all of us!”

Trixie blinked slowly as she listened to the story of Fluttershy’s heroism, then burst out laughing uncontrollably. “Bhahaha! O-okay you! Hahah Good one! Like Flutter—Pfffhaha.” Unable to keep herself up, Trixie fell down and pounded the ground with her hoof until the worst had past. Trixie had tears her eyes from laughing so much as she looked up, wiping her left eye dry. “Okay come on, seriously now. What really happened?”

It dawned on Trixie that something strange was going on. ”…And why is nopony else laughing?”

As she looked around, Trixie discovered Fluttershy had retreated completely behind her mane, Rainbow Dash wore an cheesy smile, and Applejack was looking away while she tried to clear what sounded like a nasty cough.

“What?”

“I-it’s uhm… true.”

Trixie whirled around and found a furiously blushing Fluttershy peeking out with one eye from behind her mane. “W-wait so…” Words failed Trixie as her jaw hit the floor. “T-Trixie was wrong, THAT is even harder to believe.”

“It’s true, and it was awesome! Who knew she had it in her huh!?” Rainbow Dash was next to Fluttershy, she must have gotten there within the time it took Trixie to blink, both Rainbow Dash’s hooves around Fluttershy’s neck and chest as she held her tightly. “The most amazing thing I have ever seen! This week!”

Fluttershy wordlessly returned the hug.

Trixie looked back towards Applejack, who was simply nodding. “Ah couldn’t believe mah eyes and ears, but it really did happen. Though Ah reckon we ain’t gonna see her do it again, she was back ta normal pretty quick as ya mighta noticed. Ya did get a taste of it back with Rainbow and Redheart, but Ah say ponies don’t count.”

Rainbow’s ears perked up and she let go for Fluttershy to turn back to the Applejack and Trixie. “Woah now, it totally does for Fluttershy! In fact, I am even prouder of her for that! Stand up to a dragon is one thing, but stand up to the Rainbow Dash? You did great, Fluttershy.” She smiled brightly at her.

Fluttershy smiled back and nodded. “Thanks Rainbow Dash.”

The scene before her somehow made Trixie feel nauseous, a terrible feeling settled in her stomach though she was sure she was not actually sick. A question was burned on her mind. Didn’t Fluttershy betray you? Why are you happy? This isn’t right, is it? Still, Trixie had already ruined the mood several times that evening, and though she was forgiven so far she did not want to risk doing so again.

“So uhm… what happened after Fluttershy made a dragon cry?” The very words felt as though they were never meant to be uttered in the same sentence as they crumbled off Trixie’s tongue.

“Well, Ah guess I’ll fill ya in. Fluttershy comforted him, then explained he was a bother and told him to sleep somewhere else, so he did.”

Well that does sound more like something she would do. Crazy mares, all of them.

Applejack yawned and stretched out her legs. “Well, Ah reckon it’s bout time Ah hit the hay. Had a good time with y’all, we oughta do it again sometime.”

“Trixie approves of this idea. Perhaps bring some of the best pie too?”

“Heh, well Ah suppose.”

“W-wait, pie? Trixie can’t have solid food yet… I-I mean, sorry.”

Trixie’s groaned. “Aww, that’s not fair. Trixie already had some and nothing bad happened.”

“Nope no pie, Trixie, but Applejack can bring some for the rest of us. I’m sure Fluttershy can make some nice apple soup or something for you.” Rainbow Dash grinned widely.

“Well Ah reckon that’s fair, Ah will bring some next time.” Applejack adjusted her hat then paused a moment as she looked at Trixie, seeming to realize something was missing about her. After a moment however she continued her way toward the path, passing Trixie she whispered. “Don’t ya worry, Ah can slip ya a piece if they still try ta stop ya.”

Trixie’s ears perked up excited by the news and she quickly nodded.

“Oh yeah, Rainbow, if yer going home too, mind walking together fer a spell?”

“Yeah sure Applejack. I need to get going anyway. Will you two be alright?” Rainbow Dash took flight, but stayed near the ground.

Fluttershy nodded. “We’re fine, we’ll just go straight to bed. Uhm… have a good night girls.”

“Goodnight y’all. Come on Rainbow.”

“Right.”

Though Trixie would have liked the night to go on, in truth she could feel her body scream out for sleep already, of course it tended to do that a lot lately. “Goodbye Applejack, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow Dash swooped back around and flew backwards while she looked at Trixie. “Heh, see you later, Trixie. Friends never say goodbye!”

Really? Trixie rolled her eyes. “See you later then!”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

We may never know if RD is messing or a cheeseball.
Fun fact, nobody in the show seems to ever say goodbye unless they think it is for a really long time.
Except Fluttershy, which freaked Pinkie out pretty bad screaming "I'll never forget you!"
Just something to consider.

PreviousChapters Next