• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,836 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,836

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22 - Repeat

Trixie trotted along the dead silent path, trying to escape the horrid odor. It seemed almost amusing to her that the worst the forest had thrown at them was assault their nostrils, especially given how much Rainbow Dash had hyped up the dangers.

She paused when she noticed something amiss. While she had been distracted by the initial smell, she had not noticed when Fluttershy had left her side. Looking over her shoulder, she found Fluttershy stood still a couple steps behind her. “Come on, Fluttershy. Trixie does not wish to spend an—.”

“…!” Fluttershy screamed silently and pointed a hoof at Trixie. Her eyes were as big as plates.

Trixie blinked confused with the reaction, the sheer terror on Fluttershy’s face while she stared at her made Trixie shrink back. She bit her lip, had scared the mare once before but never this badly. She had not even done anything this time. What is this? Why is she scared? Is it the odor? Maybe it effects ponies differently?

Before Trixie had much time to think about it, Fluttershy suddenly kicked off into a full on gallop, charging straight for Trixie.

Startled with the aggression she brought up her forelegs to protect herself. “No! Fluttershy stop!”

“…—n you!” Fluttershy tackled Trixie, tumbling them both over the path. Right after the painful impact with Fluttershy, Trixie could hear wood striking against wood right next to hear head and something tearing. The world spun as they rolled, but she caught a glimpse of what she could only describe as living kindling. The timberwolf stood right where Trixie had barely a second ago, growling menacingly before the sound cut out again.

Trixie stared at the menacing creature shocked, taking a few quick steps back. In its jaws it held part of the collar of Trixie’s cape. She shivered at the thought what might have happened had not been for the quick rescue, looking back at the brave mare only to find the trembling Fluttershy.

She stared at Fluttershy for a brief moment. Then turned her gaze back towards the timberwolf while she stepped in between it and her, doing her absolute best to stop her own shaking. “You foul creature! Do you not know? Trixie is the most powerful unicorn in all of Equestria! She will not stand for this! Begone!”

Her horn sparked up a pink glow while she aimed at it, starting up the spell for her thunder cloud. The attempt at magic only succeeded in making herself collapse, hot painful stars flashing before her eyes. She felt someone pull her up by her cape; Fluttershy was helping her to her hooves. “G-get up, get up quick! Run!”

The timberwolf raised its head to the sky howling, though they could not hear it actually do so. The implication was clear enough however, if it was howling there had to be more. Trixie could spot at least three more oblivious timber wolves casually walking between the trees, unaware of their companion’s call to arms. For now.

The both of them galloped off away from the first timberwolf, who looked over his shoulder towards his companions after getting no howls back. Thundering over the path, only to find one of the unaware wolves crossing it.

Trixie bumped her shoulder into Fluttershy’s, guiding the both of them off the path. They ran through the forest to avoid being spotted by the other wolves, but they could see the first timber wolf had stuck to the path. Its glowing green eyes fixed intensely upon them.

It seemed strange to Trixie the wolf did not pursue them directly, instead it seemed to take such a roundabout way to get to them. Her eyes went wide as she realized more and more green eyes fixing upon them, every wolf whose line of sight got passed by the first followed its gaze straight to the pair of ponies.

The chase was on.

“Trixie does not suppose you could tell them we are not food, Fluttershy?” Trixie asked while she ran besides the animal caretaker, pinning her hopes on the unlikely event Fluttershy simply forgot that option.

“N-no. Sorry!” Fluttershy jumped over a root. "Timberwolves are closer to golems than actual animals."

It was difficult to outrun the wolves in the dense forest, worse still when they had lost sight of the road. The forest was so dense it was hard to find their way through while staying ahead of the timberwolves, zigzagging between trees and ducking under branches. The most unsettling thing was it felt like they were running from nothing. Dead silence behind them, even as branches snapped and bushes were torn in half by the less than agile wolves.

Another glance back revealed they had somehow shook off three of the four timberwolves. Trixie grimaced, there was no way she was going to believe the other three simply gave up. She suspected the other three were going around to cut them off, however that did mean there was only a single wolf behind them now, with no way of signaling his companions.

Trixie called out to Fluttershy, quickly discussing her plan. “Now!”

Both ponies came to an abrupt halt and bit into Trixie’s cloak, pulling away from each other. The timber wolf ran head first into the tightly held line, struck in the throat while its own momentum carried it further forward. Its wooden head came off, the rest of it kept running briefly before collapsing into a pile of kindling.

With a wide grin Trixie brought a hoof down on the inanimate wood, savoring the victory. “Was there ever any doubt!” Swelling with pride for the triumph. She turned back to Fluttershy, surprised to find her not looking any less scared.

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy, the Great and Powerful Trixie does not even need her magic for this!” She proclaimed boldly, doing her best to calm Fluttershy down. The best way she could think of doing that was to appear completely confident. Tactfully ignoring for a moment she’d already be dead if not for Fluttershy’s ‘attack’.

“B-but there’s three more?”

She put on her best smile. “Not a problem, Trixie has got this under control.” Gah that’s right, how did Trixie forget! Taking in deep breaths to try and relax, all she needed to do was think of a plan. She had the time to come up with something to deal with three more timberwolves if she just thought about it.

Fluttershy showed a careful smile. “O-oh good… So you know what to do about them?” She pointed a hoof at Trixie again, or rather, as Trixie had some to realize, behind her.

Trixie felt like she should be feeling terror at this point, but really she was starting to get fed up with everything going wrong.

Of course they were right behind her, of course she could not use her magic, of course she had to insist they go into the giant scary forbidden forest, of course she had to chase off their guardian. Of course they tore into her beloved cloak, of course she’d led the one pony she actually cared about straight into a timberwolf hunting ground.

“T-Trixie? Are you okay?”

Trixie’s face had gone from her regular pale blue to red while she seethed over her luck, her hooves tore the ground little by little. When she finally heard the growling behind her, she turned around to glare the three timberwolves. “That is it! Trixie has had it! All Trixie wanted was one simple walk! And you couldn’t even let Trixie have that?! Do you know what? Fine! Trixie doesn’t care anymore what happens!”

The consequences be damned. Her horn sparked back to life, she could barely even see the wolves anymore between the painful stars and the red haze. She stumbled forwards half blind, her head feeling as if it would explode at any second. “You can all. Go straight. To Tartarus!”

All of her rage, energy and magic reserves channeled into the spell, ignoring the white hot pain that spread from her horn and drilled down her skull. The pink light of her horn shining brightly before it finally released as a barrage of wild beams arcing in the direction of the sound, splintering the remaining timberwolves. Leaving Trixie trembling on her legs, panting heavily for breath while the world twisted into weird shapes before her. “T-Trixie is Great… and pow—”

… Why is Trixie on the ground? … Déjà vu. At least this time she found herself staring at smoldering branches instead of a dull rock. The herd of buffalo seemed to have returned for another traditional stampede through her skull.

There was something else different as well, she felt warm. Someone was holding her. She could see long pink bangs draped over her own face, hanging in her field of view. It felt kind of nice, she could get used to this.

She knew she could look up to find a face to match that mane, but she just felt so tired. Surely it could wait a little while. Meanwhile she just kept staring at the smoldering wood, a soft smile on her face. Wait… did it just move?

It had to be her imagination, all those smoldering pieces were creeping towards each other like twigs in a maelstrom, a green glow connecting them together bit by bit. Her eyes went wide as she watched silently. Bigger, so much bigger.

T-that's... that's not fair...

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

Bit of a bigger chapter today, Hurray ^^
Finally some action.

PreviousChapters Next