• Published 20th Jan 2014
  • 359 Views, 1 Comments

Memories of Flight - Treble Tech



A pegasus remembers his years of flying.

  • ...
 1
 359

Memories of Flight

He remembered the freedom. Soaring through the skies, away from the problems and trials of real life. Racing with the birds and seeing the ground flash by below. Pushing himself to the limits of the world; climbing higher than most ponies would ever be in their lives. That moment when he looked at the world below him and saw everything. He saw farther than he'd ever been before. Strange, faraway lands just waiting to be explored. He saw the buildings and ponies below him, just specks on the ground. They didn't matter. None of them. In the air, he was alone, not bound by anything. He could find true freedom.

He remembered the joy. Doing tricks, looping through the air. Feeling the sun on his feathers and the wind rushing past. The warmth of the open sky. Seeing the adulation of the crowds below, the poor ponies who couldn't leave the ground. Performing for them, so that somehow, they might be able to share in a little bit of that joy. This incredible joy that, for the moment, only he could bring them. The world centered around him. He was the main event, the brightest star in the sky. For that one moment, not even the other pegasi could hope to match him. His joy made him shine brighter than the sun.

He remembered the thrill. Knowing that with one wrong move, he could fall to the hard ground below. Taking to the air despite any fear, despite the fact that one midair injury could end his life. The adrenaline rush as he gained speed, going faster and faster until he had reached his limit. Then going faster still, refusing to give in to that limit. Strengthening himself, so that he could grow tougher and faster than before. He was never satisfied. He kept pushing himself, performing feats that he originally had no hope of pulling off. Pushing himself farther every time, so that the next flight would be that much more thrilling.

He remembered the mystery. Going for a flight in the middle of the night. Staying one step ahead of the shadows. Being nothing more than a shadow on the moon to the wondering creatures below. Seeing the stars glitter, casting a dim light on the strange world around him. Seeing dark shapes moving on the ground and imagining what they could be. Knowing that even if they would try to hurt him, they'd never catch him. Dodging dark clouds and wondering what he would see next. Trying to solve the mystery of how a sky he knew so well could change so much simply with the coming of the moon.

He remembered the power. Working with other pegasi to control the weather. Stirring up violent winds or even a tornado if needed. Controlling where the clouds will be and where rain will fall. He brought water to the ponies on the ground, to make sure they could grow food or do other tasks. He knew that they depended on what he could bring them to keep their clockwork lives running smoothly. He felt like the ruler of the sky, deciding on weather patterns, bending nature to his will. Feeling like you have as much power as Celestia herself.

He remembered the fun. First learning to fly as a small colt. Those first few moments that introduced him to the rest of his life. Playing hide-and-seek in the clouds with the other foals. Racing and playing tag with them to see who was the fastest. Seeing the world from a different perspective for the very first time. Learning what his wings could do. Flying with his parents. Going on trips to places he'd never been able to reach before. Developing new tricks so that he could have fun doing what he loved to do.

Most importantly, he remembered the love. The air was where he met her. It's usually difficult for two pegasi to collide in midair. Somehow, they managed to do it. Maybe it was fate, but it didn't matter. They had met. He remembered her soft red fur and her silky mane. She loved to fly, just like he did. They would dance in the sky together, showing the world how they felt. Spiraling and looping through the air and around one another, but never losing track of each other. Anyone who saw them would feel their heart lift at the sight of two ponies so in love.


The pegasus remembered all this, sitting by the fire in his creaking house. As he looked at his old, weak wings, he remembered those days of long ago, that he would never be able to relive. She was gone now. It wasn't very long ago. She had been happy, and had lived a long life. He still missed her. He missed flying through the sky, free from life.

He walked over to the window and saw his young great-granddaughter, practicing in the yard. She had only learned to fly recently, but she absolutely loved it. He could tell that she would be an incredible flyer. She had his enthusiasm, always wanting to learn more and to try new tricks. He always loved to watch her flying. Sometimes, when she flew through the air, or finally perfected a new trick, he could feel the wind beneath his wings again and smell the sweet air. She would finish flying and come inside. He would hug her and congratulate her as he remembered his own time in the air. Then he would look into her eyes. Sometimes he teared up. She had her great-grandmother's eyes.

He knew that everything had a time, and he probably didn't have much left. However, he wasn't dreading it. He didn't fear the reaper. He would be sad, of course, sad that he would have to leave this wonderful world. He knew that his family would miss him. But it had to happen eventually. He was sad, but not scared. He accepted it. The time would come, and she would be waiting for him. They would reunite, and then they would fly. They would fly for the rest of time.

Comments ( 1 )

Nice story (or, rather, scene, as EQD suggested doing).

I would have gone for smaller paragraphs, but that is me.

I would also have attempted to include a bit more detail on the depicted pegasi; apart from knowing that the narrator's love had red fur, there's close to nothing there to create a mental image of the pegasi. When using show characters, specially the mane 6 and main supporting characters, describing the physical characteristics is not that important because the reader can be expected to know how they look, but when using characters you created for your fic a better description greatly helps the reader in being able to create a corresponding mental image.

Login or register to comment