• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 993 Views, 39 Comments

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Forms - Alphadude007



For light to exist, darkness must exist as well. Strange dreams, disturbing visions, and vague prophecies... what could they all mean? With questions in the present that can only be answered by the past, an old shadow prepares for its return.

  • ...
4
 39
 993

PreviousChapters Next
The Roads Ahead

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Forms

Chapter 45-The Roads Ahead

-Passenger car, Railroad between Ponyville and Canterlot-

Twilight watched the hills go by as the train chugged along the tracks. The sun was shining with nary a cloud in the sky as a pair of cardinals flew alongside the train car's window. Everything seemed so serene.

With a sigh, Twilight rested her chin on the windowsill.

"So how'd ya think the princesses would help us out?" Twilight heard Rainbow Dash ask.

"Maybe there's some thousand-years-old secret behind this whole thing." Pinkie responded, a few eyebrows shooting up at the suggestion. "And the princesses came up with some sort of solution to it then and are gonna use it again!"

"We can only hope so." Rarity added. "Given everything we've experienced so far, I wouldn't say that the problem is outside the princesses' capabilities."

"What do you think about it, Twilight?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight turned from the rolling countryside to look at her friends. Each one waited for an answer she couldn't find. Too many questions, too few hints to the answers. We'll just have to wait until the princesses can explain the situation. Twilight figured.

"Whatever is going on, the princesses will know what it is and how to take care of it." She said, her friends smiling confidently at her reply. Cop-out.

"I just can't wait to see the princesses again!" Pinkie exclaimed. The uneasy tensions in the train car were somewhat alleviated by the enthusiastic pony. "Maybe we'll have some parties while at Canterlot. And a royal party is always better than just a normal one!"

Rainbow Dash nodded. "Yeah! And I bet I could visit the Wonderbolts training grounds while we're there."

"As much fun as those things would be," Applejack interjected, "I doubt we'll have much room for fun. This being a serious matter and all."

Rarity's eyebrows furrowed at her friend. "Oh come now, Applejack. We've all been through quite an ordeal this past week. Let's try to have some fun while we have the chance."

Six pairs of eyes focused on Applejack as she looked back at each one. After a few moments, the farm pony gave a conceding sigh. "I guess y'all are right. I s'pose there ain't any harm in a little relaxation time."

"Yippee!" Pinkie shouted gleefully as she leapt for joy. "Canterlot party 'till we drop!"

Twilight cast Applejack an understanding look across the aisle, Applejack nodding in gratitude.

She's just trying to do what she thinks is right. Twilight thought. She watched her friends split into different conversations, smiles on all their faces. Even amidst everything that's happened recently, they're still looking for ways to have fun.

A smile crept onto her face. You know what? Why not have some fun while we're in Canterlot? Standing from her seat, Twilight walked to the front of the train car.

"Where ya heading, Twilight?" Spike asked, the others' eyes turning towards her.

"Well I figured I'd go get something from the snack car. Anypony else wanna come along?" Twilight asked, nodding towards the car door.

"I'd love something to eat." Fluttershy spoke up. "I haven't had anything since breakfast."

"Yeah, me too! I'm starved!" Rainbow Dash got up from her seat and advanced towards the front of the car.

Sounds of agreement were heard as each of Twilight's friends got up to go with her to the snack car.

I hope they have some hay fries. I sure could use some right about now. Twilight thought as she opened the train car door.

-Canterlot Castle-

Celestia sat on her throne, her chin resting on her hoof. She thought about what had been heard in Starswirl's tomb. The fact that she hadn't known about Starswirl's prophecy had surprised her. Starswirl told her everything when he was alive.

When the Mare in the Moon is no more, shall begin the end of an ancient war. The first two lines of the prophecy rang in her mind. What ancient war? There hadn't been a full-on war in Equestria since the days of the three pony tribes.

In the desert the Guardians wait. As the Eight determine this world's fate. So whatever the 'Guardians' were, Celestia had a feeling that they were the tools needed to defeat the Shadow. But in the desert? That's a pretty broad hint as to where they might be. Could they be in the desert surrounding Appleloosa? Or in the sands of Saddle Arabia? Maybe in a desert that had yet to be discovered. And the specific number of Guardians aroused the solar princess's curiosity. Eight Guardians. If the Guardians were tools to be used, then they would require eight keepers in the same way Twilight and her friends were keepers of the Elements of Harmony. But who were these eight?

Hooves to the West, claws to the East. Both will fear the Shadow released. Hooves and claws. Could it be referring to ponies and griffons? It would make sense, given that ponies occupied most of the land in the western part of the continent while the Griffon Kingdoms were in the east. But whatever the line meant, Celestia's heart sunk at the realization that the Shadow wouldn't just be coming for revenge against Equestria. The world would be at stake when the Shadow was free.

A pair of knocks on the throne room doors snapped Celestia out of her thoughts. "Come in." She replied.

The doors swung open to reveal Shining Armor, his body covered from head to hoof in battle dress. "The order to mobilize all of the Royal Guard has been carried out, Princess. And the call for the Equestrian Reserves has just been sent out as well. We should expect all our armed forces in Canterlot within the next week."

"Excellent, Captain." Celestia said, her face stoic at the news. "Report back to me when all troops have arrived."

Shining Armor replied with a salute and started to turn back around to leave, but stopped. "Princess, may I speak freely with you about something?"

Celestia nodded. "You may."

With a sigh, Shining reached up and took off his golden helmet. "I know I should not question my orders, but exactly why are we calling every military-able pony to Canterlot? Are we expecting another attack?"

Celestia closed her eyes. The time for confidentiality had passed. Now was the time to ensure her citizens' safety. "To be frank with you, Captain, yes. We are expecting an attack."

"But from who?" Shining asked, his expression suddenly etched with concern.

Celestia looked to the stained glass, the major events of the past few years displayed in carefully crafted painted glass. Her eyes eventually settled on the display of Twilight and her friends defeating Nightmare Moon.

"You recall the legend of how my sister was banished to the moon, do you?" Celestia asked, the unicorn captain responding with a nod. "The darkness that consumed her is not gone. It was imprisoned."

"And this darkness is going to break free some time soon." Shining assumed.

"Unfortunately, I fear you are correct. My guess is that it will come straight for Canterlot when it is free and enact its vengeance on the citizens of Equestria."

Shining Armor's head dipped in somber thought. Celestia knew it was a lot for the young captain to swallow. His head rose again, this time a look of determination on his face.

"I will order the reserves to arrive in half the originally ordered time." Shining announced.

A light smile graced Celestia's mouth. "Thank you, Shining Armor. You may resume your duties."

With a salute, Shining Armor snapped around and began to walk out of the throne room.

"One more thing, Captain!" Celestia called.

Shining turned his head around to face her. "Yes, Princess?"

Celestia took a deep breath before she gave the order. "Give word to the other guards that the Citadel Initiative is to be executed by the time all the reserves arrive."

Shining's eyes widened. "Are you sure, Princess? The Citadel Initiative is meant to-"

"I know what it means, Captain. See that it is done as soon as possible." Celestia commanded.

Shining Armor's face hardened at her tone as he raised a hoof in salute. Putting his helmet back on his head, he marched out of the throne room to carry out his new orders.

Princess Celestia slowly got off her throne and walked down the steps to one of the stained glass windows. She looked up to see the same stained glass portrait as before. The day her sister was freed by the Elements was one of the best of her life. She wouldn't have thought in a million years that the repercussions of that day would spell doom for her subjects.

Raising a hoof, she gently placed it on the glass. All she could do was wait for the Shadow's arrival. But one thought lingered in her mind. What if it wasn't enough?

All we can do is hope. She reminded herself, taking her hoof from the window.

-North Equestrian mountains-

"J-jeez it's fr-reezing up here." Speedy Delivery shivered. While Fang had the appearance of a pony, his changeling body was still vulnerable to the chilly winds.

"No k-kidding." Palm Spring agreed. She didn't know how Chrysalis and Raspian lasted for so long in the cold when they found the creature.

"So how much farther until we reach the testing location?" Trixie asked, standing on her hind legs as she looked out over the balloon's basket. Mountains rose up all around her, the cold wind biting through her fur and into her skin. It was cold, but not as cold as she'd ever been.

"Shouldn't b-be too f-far." Silver Star said, trying his hardest to seem tough against the cold while failing miserably. The disguised changeling was faring no better than his companions.

For a few moments, the screaming winds and clicking of teeth were all that was heard in the balloon.

Trixie squinted her eyes at something in the distance. "Wait… what's that over there?" She asked, pointing her hoof in the direction of what she saw.

The trio of changelings turned to look at where Trixie was pointing. It took a few seconds, but they could barely make the object out against the snowy wind.


Chrysalis stood at the edge of the cave entrance, the wind howling through the tunnel as she considered her actions. Everything was on the line for her today. Her hive's future, her role as queen in the eyes of her subjects, the survival of her changelings... all of it would change depending on what would occur in the next couple hours.

A clomping of hooves behind her caught the queen's attention as she turned her head to see Raspian walking up to her.

"Ready for them to arrive, your Majesty?" Raspian asked.

Chrysalis turned back to face the blizzard. "Yes, I'm ready for them to arrive with the unicorn. But I'm not sure if I'm ready for what is to come."

Raspian's eyebrow rose as her voice trailed off, perhaps in thought. "But you're not ready to face whatever that creature is when it is released?"

Chrysalis gave a nod. "It is not that I do not trust him, because I hardly do. I'm confident he can help us take Equestria for our own. It's just a question of whether or not that's his end purpose for us."

"You predict his betrayal once our end goals are met?" Raspian asked, his tone giving away his lack of surprise.

"I do, Raspian. Once he has helped us take Equestria. What then?" Chrysalis wondered.

Raspian slowly walked to her side and looked up at her. "I do not pretend to be some sort of soothsayer with you, my Queen. But I do know that should he turn against us, we will be strong enough to keep him under control. With our hive reaching what it was before Canterlot, heck, maybe even stronger than then, he would be one against a revived nation. A revival headed by you, Chrysalis."

Chrysalis looked down to meet Raspian's gaze. "I thank you for your kind words, Raspian. But I suppose time will tell." She said, looking back out into the mountains.

A grin tugged at Raspian's mouth. "I guess so."

A brief pause ensued as the two changelings staring out at the mountain range. Each of them nursed thoughts of the future. Hopes of a better, stronger hive. The cautions of a potential traitor. The dreams of Equestria under their hooves and enough love to feed a dozen generations.

Raspian gave the queen a confused look when her horn lit up bright green. "What are you doing?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Giving your scouts a signal so they know which mountain is the one we're meeting at." Chrysalis replied.

Raspian nodded. "I'll leave you to it, then." With that, he turned around and began to walk back down the dark corridor.

"Raspian." Chrysalis called.

"Yes, your Highness?" Raspian asked, rotating his head to see the queen's eyes staring back at his.

Chrysalis gave the captain a fanged smile. "I believe you have more than proven your abilities to lead. Just be ready for a promotion when we get back to the hive."

Raspian replied to Chrysalis's smile with one of his own. Turning around to face her, Raspian gave his queen a deep bow. "Thank you, your Majesty."

"Now off with you." Chrysalis gestured back down the cave tunnel. "I will meet you with our guests when they arrive. Make sure you are disguised when they meet our host."

"As you command, my Queen." Raspian said gratefully, resuming his walk back down the rocky tunnel.

Turning her attention back outside, Chrysalis readied her signal spell. Here goes nothing. She thought, blasting a green beam from her jagged horn.


"Looks like some sort of signal." Trixie said, squinting her eyes to see the green magical beam shooting from the sides of one of the mountains ahead of them.

All three changelings' eyes lit up, Fang and Cipha exchanging elated glances.

"Th-that must be the signal for the r-rendezvous site!" Silver Star exclaimed. "Full steam ahead, ev-verypony! We're a-almost there!"

Speedy Delivery instantly angled the balloon in the direction of the signal spell. The completion of their mission was now literally in sight.

Author's Note:

SO CLOSE TO THE END OF THIS STORY! CAN'T WAIT TO FINISH IT! *ahem* Well with that said, I'll try to find some more time to get chapters out more frequently to y'all. I hope you guys liked the chapter and review/critique!

PreviousChapters Next