• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 993 Views, 39 Comments

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Forms - Alphadude007



For light to exist, darkness must exist as well. Strange dreams, disturbing visions, and vague prophecies... what could they all mean? With questions in the present that can only be answered by the past, an old shadow prepares for its return.

  • ...
4
 39
 993

PreviousChapters Next
A Changeling's Kind Words and Friends' Concerns

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Forms

Chapter 17-A Changeling's Kind Words and Friends' Concerns

-Changeling Hive-

The moon shone brightly through the cave entrance to the hive, casting a soft silver light into the opening. All was quiet in the hive. Most of the drones were sleeping after a long day of trying to scrounge up any love sources they could find and those that weren't sleeping were the guards that silently kept watch over the hive.

Chrysalis took a deep breath of the cool night air and let out a sigh. How my mother would be ashamed of me if she were still here. She thought.

Chrysalis's mother was the queen of the hive before her death, upon which Chrysalis took the throne. But before she died, Chrysalis's mother made sure that her daughter was as prepared as she could be for when she would be ruler of the hive. She was taught directly from her mother on how to rule with an iron hoof, making sure that nothing opposed her reign. Chrysalis felt her heart sink at how far she had disappointed her mother.

"Is everything alright, Your Majesty?" A voice from behind Chrysalis asked. She turned her head to see Raspian standing behind her, a concerned look on his face.

Chrysalis turned her head to look outside again and closed her eyes. "Everything is fine, Raspian. Just thinking is all." The changeling queen replied.

Raspian nodded his head. "Ah. Well I have come to report that all the worker drones are in their quarters and are fast asleep." Raspian said.

Chrysalis smiled at this news. "Good. Hopefully my subjects will have solace from daily dangers in their dreams."

Raspian looked at the cave floor with a grimace on his face. He knew what dangers changelings faced on a day-to-day basis. Maybe the queen was right. Dreams would prove to be a nice getaway from their daily lives.

"I've always stood by your side, Your Majesty. I hope you realize that." Raspian said earnestly. Chrysalis turned around to face her captain, giving him a confused look.

"What makes you say that, Captain?" Chrysalis asked, not understanding why he said what he did.

"I've overheard some of the drones talking of dissent and desertion." Raspian said, lowering his head.

Chrysalis nodded. "In times like these, I shouldn't be surprised about such things. Considering the hive's current state, I'm surprised that my subjects are still here." She said, shaking her head. "I have let them down."

Raspian's head shot up and gave the queen a stern look. "Don't say that." He said in an angry tone.

"But it's true." Chrysalis said, hanging her head.

"No. Don't say that." Raspian said louder this time.

"I could be so much better as a ruler. My subjects deserve-"

"Chrysalis!" Raspian shouted, snapping his queen out of her pitiful state. Chrysalis gave Raspian a surprised look. He'd never snapped at her like that before, let alone spoke her name in such an informal manner.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty, but I needed to get your attention." Raspian said nervously.

"You have it, Captain." Chrysalis said, regaining her composure.

"My queen, you shouldn't be beating yourself up like this. Were it not for you, we wouldn't have become what we are today." Raspian said, earning a snort from the changeling queen.

"Thank you, Raspian. That says a lot." She said, sarcasm lacing her words.

"No no no. I don't mean like that." Raspian said, quick to try to recover. "What I mean was that without you, we'd still be having power struggles and we wouldn't have learned how to harvest love in the most efficient way possible."

Chrysalis smirked. "Thank you for the kind words, Raspian. But that doesn't mean I've been a good ruler. A peaceful transition of power and a new method of love-gathering do not make a good ruler." Chrysalis said as a rebuttal.

Raspian put a hoof to his chin, thinking of ways to cheer her up. "Well all the same, my queen, you have been a great leader. A great leader that was just dealt some bad cards to play."

"Well it's nice to know that I'm merely a victim of circumstance." Chrysalis said coldly.

Now Raspian was out of ideas. Is there anything I can say to make her stop beating herself up?

"I appreciate what you are trying to do, Raspian. However, there is only one thing that can restore happiness to my soul." Chrysalis said, catching Raspian's attention.

"And what is that?" He asked.

"That my people prosper once again." She said.

"Easier said than done." Raspian said with a slight chuckle.

"Too true, Captain." Chrysalis said, a small grin gracing her visage.

Raspian walked up to Chrysalis and touched her hoof with his. Chrysalis looked to her captain and gave him a confused look. "Well no matter what happens, I will be by your side as you try to find a way out of this mess."

Chrysalis was touched by the loyalty of her captain. "Thank you, Raspian. It helps me to have a comforting voice in this tumultuous time."

"I am here to serve, your Majesty." Raspian said, bowing his head to her.

The grin on Chrysalis's face grew into a smile. "Well off with you, Captain. I believe the lower caves need to be patrolled." She said, gesturing back towards the depths of the cave.

"As you wish, my queen." Raspian said, turning around and trotting down the throat of the tunnel, back into the cave. Chrysalis watched as his figure until it disappeared into the darkness of the cave.

Chrysalis took in a deep breath and sighed. How lucky am I to have such a loyal servant? She thought, turning back to the cave entrance and looked up at the starry night sky. With changelings like Raspian, maybe there is still hope for this hive.

For the first time what felt like an eternity, Chrysalis felt a sense of comfort.

-Sugarcube Corner-

"Is it the right time to be doing this?" Spike asked as the group made their way towards Sugarcube Corner. The sun had just gone down and the moon had just begun to emerge from beyond the eastern horizon, casting a silver glow on the town below.

"Of course it is, Spike. Sugarcube Corner just closed, so Pinkie will be available to talk to us with no customers interrupting us." Twilight responded as they neared the confections shop.

"I just hope she's alright. If she had a dream like the ones that we had, I can only imagine what hers was like." Said a concerned Fluttershy.

Twilight turned her head to face her yellow pegasus friend. "I'm sure she'll be fine, Fluttershy. You remember in the forest when all those scary trees were around us and she just laughed at them?" She asked, earning a nod from Fluttershy. "Then I'm sure she's okay."

The group approached the door of the bakery, ready to help their pink friend. Twilight raised her hoof and knocked on the door several times.

"Just a minute!" A voice from inside the bakery said. Moments later, the door swung open, revealing Mrs. Cake. Her apron had random splotches of icing all over it, in addition to pieces of cake that had stuck to the apron using the icing as an adhesive. Her mane hadn't fared the day much better. Specks of white flour and sugar could be seen in her swirly cotton candy pink mane.

"Is this a bad time?" Fluttershy asked, hiding her face behind her long mane.

"No, dearie. Just had a busy day is all." Mrs. Cake said, putting on a smile for the group at her doorstep. "Want to come in?" She asked, pushing the door all the way open for the three of them.

"Actually we would. Any idea where Pinkie is?" Twilight asked, stepping inside the confections shop.

"Pinkie? Oh yeah. She's been up in her room all day. Ever since she saw a new pony in the store today, she's been holed up there all afternoon." Mrs. Cake said, looking towards the stairs that lead up to the attic.

"A new pony is in town?" Twilight asked, catching a glance of Spike trying to sneak in a bite of cake that was sitting on the counter.

Spike was within an arm's length of a slice of moist chocolate cake that was laying on the cashier's counter, clearly not being eaten by anyone. May as well since no one else will have it. He thought, reaching for the delectable treat in front of him. Suddenly, Spike felt a familiar tug on his ear. Oh rats. Spike tried a last swipe at the cake, but was pulled back before he could grab it. He looked at where he was being pulled and saw Twilight's horn glowing a purple aura. Using her magic, Twilight had grabbed the young dragon by the ear and was pulling him back towards them. As he landed at her side, Spike gave Twilight a venomous look as Mrs. Cake responded.

"Yes, Twilight. And from what I heard Pinkie saying upstairs, it seems that there are more new ponies in town as well." Mrs. Cake said. "Knowing Pinkie, you all have an idea as to what she is doing right now." She said, gesturing upstairs.

The other ponies nodded. "Thanks, Mrs. Cake. But can we go see her?"

Mrs. Cake nodded. "Of course you're welcome to go see her."

"Thanks, Mrs. Cake. We won't be long." Twilight said, giving Mrs. Cake a smile as the group began climbing the stairs.

Twilight, Spike and Fluttershy all climbed the stairs, reaching the door to Pinkie's room. From the outside, Twilight could hear Pinkie mumbling to herself in a nervous tone. Casting a worried glance at her friends, Twilight knocked on the door.

"Pinkie? It's Twilight. Is everything alright?" Twilight asked tentatively.

Pinkie's talking stopped at the sound of the alicorn's voice. Hoofsteps were heard as Pinkie walked toward the door. Slowly, the door opened, revealing a blue eye looking through the crack.

"Twilight? Is anyone else with you?" Pinkie asked through the door crack.

Twilight put on a confused look. "Um… yeah. Just me, Fluttershy and Spike." She said, trying to sound assuring.

"Just you and nopony else?" Pinkie asked.

"Nope. Just us." Fluttershy responded.

As soon as the words left her mouth, Pinkie reached out of the door, grabbed Twilight and pulled her into her room. Letting out a cry of protest, Pinkie shoved a hoof in Twilight's mouth.

"Twilight! I don't want him to hear you." Pinkie said in a hurried voice.

Shoving Pinkie's hoof out of her mouth, Twilight spoke up. "Who to hear what? It's just us." She said, pointing at Fluttershy and Spike.

"Just taking precautions, Twilight." Pinkie said warily, gesturing for the others to come in. Fluttershy and Spike exchanged looks and walked into the party pony's bedroom.

"What's this all about, Pinks?" Spike asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm throwing a surprise party for some newcomers to Ponyville tomorrow. Based on the plans I've made, it's going to be one of the most super funnerific parties I've ever thrown!" Pinkie said ecstatically.

Well that explains the strange behavior. Twilight thought, giving Pinkie a smile. "While that does sound like fun, Pinkie, we have something to talk to you about."

Pinkie turned to her friends and smiled. "What's up?"

"Well… did you happen to have some sort of dream last night?" Fluttershy asked.

The smile vanished from Pinkie's face. "How did you know about that? Did Gummy tell you about it?" She asked, turning her head to see her toothless pet alligator gumming a yellow balloon in the corner. "I'm watching you, mister!" She said, glaring at the reptile.

"No, Pinkie. We all had one." Twilight said, putting a hoof on her friend's shoulder.

Pinkie gave her friends a confused look. "But what could that mean? Wouldn't it be something about the Elements if it was all of us?" She asked, rubbing her chin with a hoof.

Spike stepped forward. "I had one too. So I guess it doesn't mean it was about the Elements."

"Hmm." Pinkie hummed. "This calls for an investigation!" She said, pulling out a deerstalker hat and a bubble pipe. Placing the hat on her head and the pipe in her mouth, she assumed the appearance of Sherlock Holmes.

"Umm, Pinkie. We actually need to ask what your dream was like." Twilight said. Pinkie's happy demeanor deflated as she took off the hat and pipe.

"Okay. But it was pretty creepy. You sure you want to hear it?" She asked, giving her friends a nervous look.

"Positive." Twilight responded.

Pinkie let out a sigh and began retelling her dream. How she was all alone in a blank plane of existence. She said that after a while, she heard a voice and turned around to find a sadder version of herself. The sadder version of her tried to dissuade Pinkie from liking her friends, but Pinkie resisted and defended her friends from her sadder version's accusations. She then told of how her sadder version's eyes turned yellow and how Pinkie was attacked. Pinkie didn't hold back the details as she said how she was cut and killed by her sadder self. At hearing this, all her friends exchanged shocked looks.

"So you said that your sadder self's eyes turned yellow?" Twilight asked. Pinkie nodded, her usually happy demeanor now replaced by a sad one. "That seems to be a regularity between these dreams. How did you cope with it after you woke up?"

Pinkie's expression lightened up at the question. "I was reminded that laughter makes all your worries go away. I started to chuckle at the bad memories. Soon I was as happy as a buzzing bee in a flower patch." Pinkie said, the smile returning to her visage.

Spike put a clawed hand on Pinkie's shoulder. "It's good to know you're fine, Pinkie." He said earnestly.

Pinkie smiled back at him and nuzzled him. "Thanks, Spikey." She said gratefully.

"Well I've got some thinking to do. Thanks for letting us talk with you, Pinkie." Twilight said as the others turned back towards the door.

"No problem, Twilight. I'll see y'all tomorrow!" She called to her departing friends.

"Bye, Pinkie." Fluttershy and Spike said as they climbed back down the stairs.

As Twilight descended the staircase, thoughts buzzed around in her mind. She had a dream too. Not only that, her dream had those yellow eyes in it too. What could that mean? She thought as she got off the stairs.

"Leaving, girls?" Mrs. Cake asked from behind the counter.

"Yeah. We gotta get some sleep." Spike said.

"Okie-dokie then. See y'all later." Mrs. Cake said as she waved goodbye to the departing group.

As they left the bakery, Fluttershy turned to Twilight. "Well I guess I'll turn in for the night. I'll see you tomorrow, Twilight." She said, turning and going off back towards her cottage.

"See ya, Fluttershy." Twilight called, picking up Spike with her magic and placing him on her back. She began walking back towards the library to get ready for bed. Neither of them spoke a word until they got back to the library. Twilight opened the door to her home and walked in, not turning on any of the lights. Spike dismounted off her back as she stepped in.

As they climbed the stairs, Spike spoke up. "So you think you're gonna be able to sleep tonight?" He asked in a concerned tone.

"I don't know if I'll be able to." Twilight said, shaking her head. "The last thing I need is another dream."

"Me too." Spike said as they reached the top of the stairs.

"Well… let me know if you need anything." Twilight said, sliding under the covers of her bed.

"Sure thing." Spike said, crawling into his basket bed and pulling the blue blanket over himself.

"Goodnight, Spike." Twilight said sleepily. Receiving no reply, she assumed he was already asleep. It had been a busy day for all of them. I just hope that whatever caused those dreams doesn't strike again tonight. I don't think I can handle two nights of barely any sleep.

Twilight soon felt sleep begin to wash over her. She heaved a sigh and with that, her mind was in the dreamscape.


Outside the tree library, a floating draconequus watched the pony and dragon fall asleep. He folded his arms as he began to think. The Keeper's prophecy was pretty specific, perhaps too specific. He recounted the exchange he observed between them and Pinkie and began planning. Pinkie's throwing a party tomorrow, eh? After that is over, I'll make sure to tell them. He thought, disappearing into the night with a white flash.

-Sky above Aeolus-

Hawkeye flew over the vast lakes beneath him, the moonlight glistening off the waves below. The lakeside flora and fauna flourished alongside the lake, providing food and shelter for the little critters below. Hawkeye had never fancied himself a lover of nature, yet there was not denying its beauty.

Strange how even in these troublesome times, the most calming and beauteous of things stand out the most. He thought as he grazed a nearby cloud with his wing, sending wispy cloud vapor into the night air.

He looked down again and saw something very different from what he'd seen mere moments ago. Down below was a large collection of torches that brightened up a griffon training camp. Hawkeye shook his head.

Why must our nations quarrel like they do? We are all the griffons. We all eat the same food, have the same blood, and have the same feathers and beaks. But how is it that we remain divided? He thought as a sour look found itself on his face. Frankly, he'd been as sick as any other griffon of the fact that the East and West just could not get along. To Hawkeye, it would take a miracle for the two nations to unite. I just hope that father's meeting went successfully. He thought as optimism soon found its way into his head. Then the realistic side of his brain slapped him back into reality. And maybe the council members will finally agree on something and a beautiful rainbow will grace the sky as griffons all over the land rejoice and eat pudding in celebration.

Shaking the thoughts out of his mind, Hawkeye neared his home. It was a simple house. It was a one-story cubic structure erected from clouds. The clouds looked like bricks stacked on top of one another from the design that was carved into them. A simple wooden double door was the main entryway in the front of the cloud house. Next to the door was the crest of the family that Hawkeye came from. It was a symbol of a shield, on which a golden eagle clutched a sword in its claws. Circular windows lined the walls, all of which had no light shining through them. Maybe they've already gone to bed. Hawkeye thought, a grin spreading across his face.

Hawkeye landed on the cloud in front of the door, ready to sneak in. Holding up a claw, he inserted it into the door's key lock. Hawkeye knew his way around locks and how to pick them. Hawkeye had imagined that if he were a pony, he'd have a cutie mark in lock picking. He began to feel for the tumblers, gingerly testing each one. It wasn't the first time he'd picked that particular lock, so within seconds, he'd picked his way past the lock. Quietly opening the door, Hawkeye peeked his head inside to check if anyone was there. Seeing no one, the griffon crept inside, closing the door behind him and locking it as quietly as he could.

Hawkeye entered the house's atrium, taking note that his mother had cleaned up while he was gone. A large circular rug was placed in the center of the room. On the rug was a stitched design of the same coat of arms that was outside the doorway. On opposite sides of each other were tables that displayed family portraits through the years. Walking past these, Hawkeye made his way down a hall that was on the far side of the room.

Okay. Here's the tricky part. The sneaking griffon thought. Getting past his parent's room unnoticed was often the most difficult part of breaking back into his family's house. He then began to discreetly tiptoe his way down the hallway, not making a sound. Hawkeye held his breath as he passed his parents' wooden bedroom door. His room was right down the hall, just mere yards from his current position. Hawkeye gingerly walked to the door and exhaled a silent sigh of relief. Yes! Hawkeye thought as his claw grasped the door handle.

"Have a nice evening?" A gruff voice from behind Hawkeye asked. Hawkeye's body tensed as he realized that he'd been caught. He slowly turned around and was greeted by the sight of his father.

Hawkeye nervously smiled and waved his shaking claws. "Hello." He strained to say, trying not to put too much pressure on his vocal cords.

Hawkeye's father pinched his beak with his claws and closed his eyes. "How many times have I told you about the rules we have around here?"

"I'm… sorry. Visited… Gilda." Hawkeye said, earning a scathing look from his father.

"No notes letting us know where you were? No notifications? I came back from that council expecting my whole family to be there, only to find out my son was off with some crush while our country screams for war." Hawkeye's father rebuked in a low whisper. "Hawkeye, I love you and support you in what you do, but please return the favor by showing a little more support when I try to talk our country off the bridge it's currently on."

Hawkeye hung his head. He knew he shouldn't have been out with Gilda so late, but time had a habit of flying by when he was with her. "Sorry. Won't… happen again." He said ashamedly.

Hawkeye's father sighed. "To bed with you. We'll discuss this later." He said gesturing towards the Hawkeye's room.

Hawkeye turned back to his bedroom door and opened it. Hawkeye's father watched him trudge into his room and close the door behind him. As soon as the door clicked shut, Hawkeye's father turned back and headed back to his own room.

He opened it to find it in the same condition as it was when he left it minutes ago. The multi-patterned rug sat under the bed, spanning the floor of the room, decorating the floor with coats of arms and various symbols of the Western Kingdom. There was the purple-sheeted king-sized bed against the wall, wooden nightstands flanking it on either side. Opposite the bed was a vanity where his wife's perfumes and beauty accessories were stored. To the right of the bed was a windowsill where various potted plants sat, ready to taking in sunlight in the morning. There was one difference, however. Hawkeye's mother was sitting up in bed, her claws folded over her brown-furred chest.

"What was that all about?" Hawkeye's mother asked, her black-feathered face conveying an expression of concern.

"Just caught Hawkeye coming in late again." He replied, climbing back into the bed next to his wife.

"Oh give the boy a rest, Cloudius." The griffon general's wife snapped.

"He needs to learn responsibility for his actions, Avia. At the very least he should learn to be careful. The way the country is right now, a drafting agent could have spotted him on the way home and dragged him into the reserves." Cloudius responded.

"And you were any less reckless at his age?" Avia said, raising an eyebrow at her husband.

"That's not the point." Cloudius retorted. "Besides, the Sky-Shield name must be upheld and I won't have it tarnished by the gallivanting actions of my son."

"At least try to be less strict with him. With his paresis, he has enough trouble on his own." Avia said, Cloudius flinching at the mention of his son's speech condition.

"I suppose. But I'm still going to talk to him." Cloudius said, lying down on the bed.

"Good. Now let's get some sleep." Avia said, lying down next to her husband.

Soon the Sky-Shield house was sleeping as peacefully as the night around them.

PreviousChapters Next