• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 993 Views, 39 Comments

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Forms - Alphadude007



For light to exist, darkness must exist as well. Strange dreams, disturbing visions, and vague prophecies... what could they all mean? With questions in the present that can only be answered by the past, an old shadow prepares for its return.

  • ...
4
 39
 993

PreviousChapters Next
Precautionary Measures

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Forms

Chapter 22-Precautionary Measures

-Canterlot Castle: 1,000 years before Nightmare Moon's return-

"Have a good rest, Luna?" Celestia asked as the pair of sisters walked down the castle hallway.

"Indeed I did." Luna responded with a small smile. "It was certainly better than my previous attempt at getting some slumber." Should I tell her about my dream? Or would she be concerned if I did? Luna thought.

"I am glad to hear it." Celestia said. "But, there are pressing matters that need to be attended to."

Luna gave Celestia an understanding look. "The Crystal Empire?" All this jealousy I've been feeling. I can't keep feeling this way towards my own sister.

Celestia nodded. "Yes. As we speak, the Elements of Harmony are being brought to the throne room for us."

I have to tell her something at least. I can't hold it in anymore. Luna thought, turning to Celestia.

"Sister…" Luna said. The tone in which Luna spoke caused Celestia to look her sister in the eyes as if to say 'Whatever it is, you can tell me'. "I have not been myself as of late. I have been jealous, jealous of thee and the power that thou hold. Parts of my mind keep telling me to be on the lookout for any schemes that thee may be planning to undermine my part in our ruling together."

Celestia gave Luna a surprised look.

Luna continued, giving Celestia a pleading look. "Please do not be upset with me. I know that it's my own insecurities and doubts should be to blame, but it's my fault for heeding their words to begin with. I have been jealous of thee, sister. And I apologize for it."

For a few moments, Celestia said nothing in reply, only looking into her sister's blue eyes. Then, to Luna's surprise, a smile broke onto her face.

"I am proud of thee, Luna. It took both courage and humility to admit to me that thou were jealous of me. Do not doubt thyself, for thou art stronger and more powerful than thou realize. I love thee with all my heart, Luna. Nothing can change that." Celestia said, putting a hoof on Luna's shoulder.

Luna smiled in reply. "I promise that I won't let my insecurity get the better of my conscience again, sister."

Celestia shook her head. "No need to promise anything, Luna. The only assurance I need is thy love." Luna's smile widened as Celestia pulled her close and embraced her. "After we take care of King Sombra, things will be different between the two of us." Celestia said reassuringly.

Behind them, a stallion cleared his throat. "Princesses." He said. Both princesses turned around to see Commander Storm standing before them.

"Commander. What news do thee bring?" Celestia asked.

"The Elements have arrived in the throne room, thy Majesties. Shall I escort thee there?" Commander Storm asked.

Celestia shook her head. "There is no need for that, Commander. Luna and I shall be there momentarily."

Commander Storm bowed as he responded. "As thou wish, Princess." With that, Storm turned around and began the walk back to the throne room.

Celestia turned to Luna. "Come, Luna. Let us go and retrieve the Elements."

Luna nodded in reply and followed Celestia as they began the trek to the throne room. For the first time in what felt like months, Luna felt content.


Celestia and Luna sat on their thrones, overlooking the throne room. To their left was Commander Storm and before them was a fuchsia colored pony with a neatly combed goldenrod mane and tail.

"Here they are, your Majesties. May I present the Elements of Harmony." Commander Storm said, gesturing to the servant holding a golden and jewel-adorned case. The servant lifted her hoof and gently opened the case, revealing two of the most powerful magical charms in the world. Two necklaces sat on top of the velvet cover on the bottom of the case, one gold and the other silver. In the middle of the each necklace were three circular gems placed in a line across the center of the necklace. The golden necklace was Celestia's, with the gems in the middle being colored purple, orange, and green, the Elements of Magic, Honesty, and Kindness. On Luna's silver necklace was a red gem, Loyalty, a pink gem, Laughter, and a blue gem, Generosity.

"I thank thee for delivering these to us. Now leave us that we may prepare ourselves to wield them." Luna said, gesturing for the servant to leave the throne room. The servant bowed and walked out the room.

"Well, Princesses, shall I bestow these upon thee?" Commander Storm asked, gesturing to the two Elements necklaces.

"If thou could, Commander, that would be appreciated." Celestia said with a determined look.

Storm nodded and descended the stairs that led from the two thrones. He reached the case and levitated Celestia's necklace first with his magic. Turning back to face her, Commander Storm walked back up the stairs and held the necklace by the golden clasps.

Commander Storm cleared his throat as he began the bestowment vows. "Art thou ready, Princess Celestia, to receive these Elements and to wield them?"

Celestia nodded. "I am."

"And dost thou promise to keep safe these magical tools and to use them in hopes that evil may be transformed into harmony?" the commander asked.

"I do." Princess Celestia replied.

"Very well. By the power invested in me by the Princesses and the state of Equestria, I bestow the Elements of Magic, Honesy, and Kindness onto thee, Princess Celestia." Storm said, using his magic to snap the necklace behind Celestia's neck. "Use them well and rescue this world from present darkness." Storm said, concluding the vows for Celestia's necklace.

He turned to Princess Luna and levitated her necklace over to her. "Princess Luna, art thou willing to wield these Elements against Equestria's foes? To carry out the causes of good and to do what is right for the good of all?"

Luna nodded. "I am."

"And will thee, Princess Luna, assist Celestia in the mission as she will do for thee in this upcoming mission?"

Stealing a quick glance at her sister, Luna nodded. "I will."

Storm levitated the necklace clasps behind her neck as he spoke. "Then by the Princesses and the state of Equestria, I bestow the Elemtns of Loyalty, Generosity, and Laughter onto thee, that thou may safeguard Equestria and its citizens from harm." He said, snapping then necklace on.

As soon as the necklace was connected behind her neck, Luna felt a jolt of electricity run up her spine. It felt like two sides of herself collided inside of her mind as Luna clenched her eyes shut from the feeling. After a brief moment, the feeling wore off and Luna opened her eyes again. She looked to Celestia to see a worried look on her face.

"Is everything alright, Luna?" Celestia asked concernedly.

Luna nodded. "Just fine, sister. Just got a case of the shivers is all." She lied.

Celestia's eyes narrowed at Luna. What is she hiding?

"Well, thy Majesties, thou art ready to use the Elements. Shall I prepare the chariot for thy departure?" Commander Storm asked.

Celestia turned to the commander. "Nay, Commander. Luna and I will be flying ourselves upon the morrow."

Storm seemed a bit puzzled by this answer, but nodded in compliance. "Yes, Princess. I suppose I'll go make preparations for tomorrow for when thou depart." He said, turning around and walking out of the throne room.

Celestia turned back to her sister. "Art thou sure that's all that was? Just some shivers?"

Luna turned to Celestia and gave a stern look. "I just got cold, Tia. What is there to worry about?" She said defensively.

Celestia was taken aback at her tone. Something seemed… off about Luna's behavior, especially in the last few days.

"Very well, then." Celestia said, terminating the conversation. She looked outside the stained glass windows of the throne room and saw that the sun was hovering just above the horizon, the sunset casting an orange glow on the land. "Ah. 'Tis time to set the sun. Luna, care to raise the moon while I lower the sun?"

"Sure thing, Tia." Luna said as they both rose from their thrones and

-Southern outskirts of Crystal Empire: 1,000 years before Nightmare Moon's return-

"There is a new player in our little game." The Shadow said, his glowing yellow eyes narrowing at the orange-coated pegasus with a fiery yellow mane that was zipping through the canyon towards the Crystal Empire. The Shadow looked at her features and began deducing the purpose for the pegasus being here in the first place. A pegasus never travels this far north of Equestria. The way her wings flap and the way she maneuvers… her skills are honed, practiced. The Shadow rubbed his chin with a steel gray hoof. He sighed as his mind came to the logical conclusion. She is here on a scouting mission. Sent by Celestia no doubt.

The Shadow's ears perked up at the sounds of faint whispers coming from the bottom of his hooves. She could prove troublesome should she discover us. Let's kill her now!

The Shadow brought up his black veiled edge to his face. "Patience, Siphon. Your desire for blood will be quenched soon enough. For now, we must stick to the plan."

The center of the hoof blade glowed a faint red as Siphon voice his concern. Well that pegasus's presence would certainly throw a a few complications into our scheme, Master.

The Shadow chuckled. "Quite the contrary. Everything is fulfilling itself beautifully."

I don't see how her discovery of the Crystal Empire's state will help us. Siphon said.

"It's simple. Once she discovers Sombra's corruption, she'll report back to Celestia and Luna, if they haven't figured out what's going on by now. They will come with the Elements of Harmony and defeat Sombra. Simple as that."

Okay. But how will this help us?

"Remember that dream I connected us, Sombra, and Luna with? How would Luna react if Celestia condemns a unicorn she knows based on a positive first impression to banishment?"

The Shadow could hear faint laughter from Siphon. One more reason for Luna to distrust her sister. It didn't help that the Keeper got to her, though.

The Shadow nodded grimly. "Yes, our adversary has his ways of trying to mess up my plans. But no matter. This plan has been predestined to work." He said with a smile.

Predestined, Master? Siphon asked.

"Of course. Celestia's day has lasted long enough. It is only fitting that the night begins when the sun has set." The Shadow said, his smile cracking into a grin.


"Here it is, my King." A trembling Shining Star said, bringing the large blue crystal that sat upon his shoulders to King Sombra's attention.

Sombra looked down from his black crystal throne, a fanged grin spreading on his features. "Excellent. Leave it here with me, my advisor. I'll take it from here." He said.

"But, sire, this is the Crystal Heart." Shining said, his light blue eyes darting towards the magical crystal before him. "What art thou going to do with it?"

Sombra's grin was replaced by a snarl at the sound of a pony questioning his plan. "That is of no concern to thee, Shining. Report back to the advisors chambers and await my instructions." Sombra said menacingly.

Shining sighed and mustered what courage he could get. "With all due respect, sire. Taking away the Crystal Heart will not change anything here."

"What's wrong with what is happening right now?" Sombra asked passively.

"Sire, crystal ponies are dragging loads too heavy for them and are being worked to the point of exhaustion. They are not slaves, my King. They are your subjects." Shining said boldly.

Sombra's red eyes narrowed at Shining, who then gulped and began wishing to retract his words.

"Let me understand thy reasoning, Shining." He said, rising from his throne and began slowly descending down the stairs towards the shivering crystal stallion. "I give thee a position that many would kill to have. I give thee one simple task. When thou come back, thou question my authority and presume that I do not know the conditions of my own subjects!" Sombra shouted, his voice rising with rage. "What if I said that the way it is out there, I am perfectly fine with it! What if I said that if thee question my authority again, thou won't have a tongue to question with again!"

Shining shrank as Sombra's eyes were no more than a few inches in front of his. The red eyes glared into Shining's soul, making Shining wish he could disappear. Finding his voice, Shining spoke up. "If that is thou wish, then it is my command." He squeaked.

Sombra backed off at hearing these words. "Good. Now go back to the advisors' chambers. Wait until I call upon thee again." Sombra said, turning his back to the quaking Shining behind him.

Nodding quickly, Shining answered. "Yes sire." With that, Shining spun around and darted towards the throne room door, not wanting to spend another second in his king's presense.

Sombra heard the door slam behind him and grinned. He turned to the blue heart-shaped crystal beside him. His horn glowed a deep purple as he levitated the crystal to his eye level.

One simple spell and these crystal ponies will never be able to challenge me. Total rule will be mine. Sombra thought, a chuckle sounding from his throat.

"Not as total as thou might think." A voice behind Sombra spoke up. He turned his head to see a familiar steel gray alicorn with yellow eyes that wore golden armor and a black gauntlet on his right hoof.

Sombra smiled at the visitor. "Ah, Crystal Glory." He said, addressing the pony that gave Sombra his power in the first place. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Crystal Glory's expression turned grim. "My visit is not for pleasure reasons. There has been… a development."

Sombra's amiable pretense dropped at his words. "What does thou mean?"

"My sources have led me to believe that a scout sent by the Princesses of Equestria is coming to thy kingdom to see what has happened here. Apparently the news of thy power as seen by clusters of black crystals springing up all over the country has caused quite the disturbance." Crystal said.

"So they sent a scout to investigate?" Sombra asked, his mouth twisting into a smile. "With my power, this scout could be a new possible convert. I could easily sway the pony to our cause."

In an instant, Crystal was in Sombra's face. "Don't be so sure of thy power, Sombra. Yes, I have granted thee immense power, but it won't be enough to match the power the Princesses will be bringing." He said sternly.

Sombra's expression turned from cocky to concerned. "What power might that be?"

Crystal stepped back and looked Sombra in the eye. "The Elements of Harmony."

Sombra's eyes widened. "What? How can that be? I thought they were just a myth."

Crystal's glowing yellow eyes narrowed at the unicorn king. "Well this is one myth that is about to become reality, King Sombra."

"What would thee have me do to prepare myself to fight such magic?" Sombra asked.

"Against the Elements of Harmony?" Crystal said. "Only with my power can thou hope to defeat them."

Sombra gave Crystal a confused look. "I thought I was already imbued with thy power."

"What I gave thee is but a taste of my true power." Crystal said with a smile. "But for thee to claim victory over the Elements, thou will have to give thyself completely to my power. Art thou willing to accept it?"

Sombra put on a determined face. "I am always willing."

Crystal smiled. "Good." He said, his horn lighting up a bright yellow. As his horn reached its brightest, Crystal shot a beam of yellow magic at Sombra. The magic struck Sombra in the chest as swirls of yellow magic consumed his body.

Sombra felt a mixture of feelings when the magic struck him. Pain. Power. Anger. Joy. Amongst these there was one feeling that had a more dominant presence above the others. It couldn't be put into words exactly, but Sombra felt his old self be completely washed away. He had given himself wholly to Crystal's power. After a few moments, the spell ended and the yellow swirls dissipated from Sombra's body.

"How dost thou feel?" Crystal asked, a satisfied look smeared on his face.

Sombra opened his eyes and took a deep breath. Power. Sombra thought, a smile growing wide on his face. Absolute power.

"I take it that thou art ready to face the Elements." Crystal said, noting the look of reveling on the unicorn king's visage. "Good luck, King Sombra. Although with thy new power, thou may not be needing it." With that, Crystal disappeared in a flash of yellow light.

Once again, Sombra was alone in the throne room. With a low chuckle, Sombra looked out one of the windows facing the south. "Come face me, Princesses of Equestria. Thy Elements of Harmony will be no match for the new powers I have just received."


A bright yellow flash appeared on a mountain cliff overlooking the Crystal Empire. Crystal Glory looked over the kingdom with a smile.

So wait, did we just imbue him with even more power, Master? Siphon asked.

Crystal brought the gauntlet to his face. He gave a light chuckle and spoke. "Have you ever heard of the placebo effect, Siphon?"

Yes, sir. But does that mean that we-

"Yes, Siphon. It does." Crystal said with a fanged grin. Everything was going according to his grand scheme. Within a few days, Equestria would be his. After that, the world would be his for the taking.

-Eastern outskirts of Ponyville: Present Day-

Twilight hurriedly trotted through the streets of Ponyville. She knew that the first pony she'd want to talk to would be one that could get around quickly and spread the word on the meeting she wanted to hold. Twilight knew just who to go to.

Clonk clonk. Twilight knocked twice on the wooden door of Fluttershy's cottage. "Fluttershy? It's me, Twilight!" She called.

The door slowly creaked open, revealing the right side of Fluttershy's face. "Oh it is you, Twilight. Come on in." She said, opening the door wider to let her studious alicorn friend inside.

Twilight walked through the doorway and gave her pegasus friend a smile. "Thanks, Fluttershy. Have you and Angel been doing alright lately?" Twilight asked.

Fluttershy returned Twilight's smile and nodded. "We have. Angel is out in the forest with his friends so it's just me in here for the day."

"Good to hear." Twilight said, ready to say why she was here to begin with. "Well I was wondering… do you have any plans for tonight?"

Fluttershy gave Twilight a puzzled look. "Um… not really. Why do you ask?"

"Well I actually had another dream, well more of a vision really." Twilight said, earning a surprised look from the yellow pegasus before her.

"Another dream? Was this one horrible like the last one ?" Fluttershy asked, instantly concerned for her friend.

Twilight gave Fluttershy a reassuring look. "This one was much different than the first. That's actually why I am asking if you had plans tonight. I'm arranging a get-together tonight in the library to discuss it."

Fluttershy put on a determined face. "I'll be sure to be there tonight."

"That's good to hear." Twilight said with a smile. "Also, would you get Rainbow Dash for me too? I need to spread the word about this to the others and could use some help." Fluttershy nodded in reply. "Excellent! Well I'm going off to get Rarity. I'll see you at the library tonight." She said, turning around and began walking towards the cottage's door.

"Um… Twilight?" Fluttershy spoke up. Twilight turned her head to look at her friend. "If I may ask… what was your dream about?"

Twilight's face fell as she recalled her encounter with the visions and the voice she heard in the book. "A warning of some sort." She replied, causing Fluttershy's face to scrunch in thought. "I'm sure the events of what the warning was about won't happen for some time. However, we must get ready." She said with a determined look. "Now I'm gonna head to Rarity's to tell her about the library meeting. When you're ready, go get Rainbow Dash and spread the word." Twilight said, pointing to the door.

Fluttershy put on a brave face and saluted. "You got it, Twilight."

With that, Twilight turned around and walked out the cottage door. As Twilight began to gallop towards Ponyville, her thoughts drifted to what the vision had said. The long night approaches? Why do I keep hearing that? She thought for a moment before shaking her head. We'll discuss it tonight. Right now, I need to find Rarity. She pushed the thought to the back of her mind for later, picking up the pace as she neared the stone and wood buildings of Ponyville that stood in front of her.

-Western Griffon Kingdom, sky above Aegis Province: Present Day-

Gilda tapped the cloud she was sitting on with her claws. Where is he? I've been waiting here for the past hour! She thought impatiently. Hawkeye had said he'd meet with her at this exact spot after they were done chatting yesterday, so why wasn't he here yet?

A flapping of wings behind her caught Gilda's hearing. She turned her head to see a familiar griffon flying towards her. Gilda folded her arms in irritation as Hawkeye landed on the cloud right next to her.

"Sorry." Hawkeye strained his apology, his tone melancholy.

"There you are. Where have you been?" Gilda asked. She had half a mind to chew him out for being so late and making her wait.

"Dad and I… had a… talk." He said, hanging his head.

Gilda's eyebrow rose. Okay, now that was a reason she could sympathize with. "Oh yeah? What for?"

"Came home… late. He didn't… like it."

Gilda nodded her head to convey her understanding. "Yeah, parents are like that."

"Like… yours?" Hawkeye asked. Gilda's wings immediately flared up as she turned to Hawkeye, giving him an evil look.

"I thought we agreed to never discuss that." Gilda said in a low and dangerous tone.

"Didn't… mean it… like that." Hawkeye said, crossing and uncrossing his arms repeatedly. "Sorry if… it came across… that way."

Gilda's wings retracted and the anger in her eyes fizzled out. "No it's okay. I overreacted. You didn't mean any harm in what you said, so it was uncool of me for freaking out like that."

Hawkeye's expression softened as he put an arm around her shoulders. "No… problem."

Gilda smiled as she leaned into Hawkeye and sighed contently. "You know, Hawkeye. I just don't get it."

Hawkeye looked down at the griffon at his side. "Get… what?"

"How I just freak out sometimes." Gilda said, her smile fading. "I flipped out at you for no reason." Before Hawkeye could respond, Gilda continued. "It's not the first time it's been like that. I lost a good friend by freaking out and getting mad at harmless pranks. Sure it was annoying, but they didn't mean anything bad by it."

"Is that… what's… bothering… you? That day in… Ponyville?" Hawkeye asked as Gilda sat back up and looked at him.

"Yeah. It's just that I felt like such a dweeb after that. I've been haunted by the feeling that I'd severed a really good friendship by being such a jerk to Rainbow Dash and her friends." Gilda said as she hung her head a little. "I just don't know if she'd accept me back or not because of how I acted that day."

Hawkeye smiled. "Well why not… go and… find out?" He suggested.

Gilda's expression brightened. "You know what? I think I will. I'll go back to Ponyville, apologize to Dash and her friends, and we'll be back to being best buds again!" She exclaimed. "Hawkeye, what would I do without you?" She asked, giving Hawkeye a bear hug.

Hawkeye grinned. "You'd… be… a mean old… griffon with no… friends." He said sarcastically.

Gilda chuckled, letting go of Hawkeye. "So whatcha say? Ya up for a visit to Ponyville?" She asked, spreading her brown wings.

Hawkeye nodded. "Let's… go!" He exclaimed with a smile, extending his own wings.

With a simultaneous flap of their wings, the two griffons took off from the poofy cloud. Thoughts bounced back and forth in Gilda's head as she flew. What if they don't accept my apology? Well, Dash isn't a dweeb. She'll take me back if none of the others do. She thought with a sigh. With the hour-long flight to Ponyville, she had time to think.

PreviousChapters Next