• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 993 Views, 39 Comments

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Forms - Alphadude007



For light to exist, darkness must exist as well. Strange dreams, disturbing visions, and vague prophecies... what could they all mean? With questions in the present that can only be answered by the past, an old shadow prepares for its return.

  • ...
4
 39
 993

PreviousChapters Next
A New Day with New Problems

Guardians of Light: A Shadow Forms

Chapter 18-A New Day with New Problems

-12 Hoofington Road, Ponyville-

The morning sun shone brightly as it rose in the east, painting the sky a bright orange. The birds in the trees chirped and sang, signaling the new day as the residents of Ponyville began to awaken. While most enjoyed the morning's greeting, one upset changeling did not.

"Stupid birds. Why can't they just shut up?" Chassis growled from under the covers of his bed. Chassis gripped his sheets and pulled them tighter over himself, trying to muffle the annoying sound. The birds kept singing regardless of the changeling's attempts. This is probably the one thing that the hive had that this place doesn't. A quiet morning so that I can take my time getting up. Chassis thought with a groan as he rolled in his bed, trying to get more comfortable.

"Chassis! You're not sleeping in, are you?" A female voice shouted from outside Chassis's room.

Chassis lifted the sheets off of himself and looked at the wooden door. "No, mother!" Chassis hollered back sarcastically, dragging the covers back over him.

The clopping of hoofsteps was heard outside the door, getting louder as they approached the sleepy changeling's room. The door swung open revealing a rather peeved Cipha.

"Chassis! We have work to do here and you're just sleeping?" Cipha asked in disbelief.

"I cannot recall a morning where I got out of bed before midday back at the hive. I don't intend to break that tradition here." Chassis growled.

Cipha shook her head at the lazy changeling and strolled to his bedside. Grabbing the covers with her teeth, she yanked the sheets right off the slothful changeling.

"Gah!" Chassis shouted in surprise as a sudden chill ran over his body. "What they hay, Cipha? I was going to get up eventually."

"Your definition of 'eventually' would be after lunchtime." Cipha said, giving Chassis a disapproving look.

"Oh well." Chassis admitted defeat, sliding off the bed's mattress and landing on his hooves. "So now that you have me out of bed, what now?"

"Breakfast. Fang and I made some food with the supplies that were already in the kitchen." Cipha responded.

Chassis lifted his muzzle and smelled the morning air. Sure enough, he could detect the distinct smells of oiled grasses cooking in a skillet. "Hmm. Well I suppose I can get up for that." He said, trudging towards the doorway that led to the house's atrium.

"That's more like it." Cipha said cheerfully, mentally patting herself on the back as she followed her disgruntled counterpart out of the room.

Upon entering the atrium of the house, Chassis and Cipha noticed to the left to see Fang laboring over the cooking meal in the kitchen. Whiffs of smoke billowed from the pan, rising up until dispersing as it hit the ceiling. Fang's twisted horn glowed neon green as he levitated a spatula, spreading the grass to cook it evenly on the pan's surface. Around his neck was a pink cloth tie holding something up.

"Fang? What's that you got on?" Chassis asked.

Fang looked up from the pan and looked behind him. "Well look who's finally up." He said, earning a frown from Chassis.

Chassis rolled his eyes at the snide remark. "Yeah, yeah, so I was late getting up. Could we please move on?" Chassis said, ready to change the subject of the conversation.

"Just teasing, dude. And as to the question you asked, here's the answer." Fang replied, turning around to face Chassis and Cipha.

What the two changelings saw made them start snickering at the changeling cook. Around Fang's neck was a bright pink apron with the words Mr. Good-lookin' is cookin' in bold blue letters.

Chassis was trying his best to contain his laughter at how ridiculous the apron looked on Fang, but ended up busting out laughing anyways. It was only a few seconds later when Cipha began laughing at Fang's appearance as well.

"Yeah, sure. Laugh it up, guys." Fang said with a slight smile, rolling his eyes and going back to cooking.

"Where in the world did you get that thing?" Chassis asked, taking a break from laughing to catch his breath.

"Found it in one of the cupboards and figured I'd use it. Plus I think it looks good on me." Fang said, putting on a confident look.

"You do realize that we're never going to let this go, right?" Cipha asked with a smile.

"I wouldn't expect anything else." Fang responded, levitating the pan off the stove with his magic. "Well, breakfast is ready." He announced, carrying it over to the table where three plates were set. Using the spatula, Fang scraped some cooked grass from the pan and put it on each of the plates. The three sat down and began enjoying their food.

After taking a few bites, Cipha spoke up. "Well thanks for breakfast, Fang. This grass is pretty good. Where'd you learn to cook? I never saw you do anything like this at the hive." She said, taking another bite.

"Well it was during a hunt I did a while back. I couldn't do anything while they were awake so I had to wait until they were asleep before I could feed. But during the time I waited, I saw how they prepared their food and took the process to memory." Fang said, proud that his first cooking experience had gone so well.

"Well I'll give it to ya, this is good stuff." Chassis said, chomping on some grass still in his mouth.

"Thanks, guys. So either of you know what the plan is today?" Fang said, changing the topic.

"Well we need to find that 'Pinkie Pie' and I think this party tonight will be our only real chance of getting to her." Cipha suggested.

"Absolutely. But how can we do this in a covert manner?" Fang asked, rubbing his chin with a hoof.

The three changelings pondered the dilemma until Chassis spoke up. "It's going to be a party, and lots of ponies go to parties. I say that we take her in the middle of the party pandemonium and question her later."

"I don't think that ponynapping will be the best answer." Cipha said with a sigh.

"Why not?" Chassis asked the skeptical changeling.

Cipha gave Chassis a stern look. "For one, this 'Pinkie' won't respond to our questions if we hold her against her will. Second, what if somepony were to see us or find her? It would jeopardize our whole operation. And lastly, what do we do with her even if she answers our questions? She'd blab to somepony about it and then we'd be busted." She said, shooting down Chassis's suggestion.

"What if we just ask her when we get there?" Fang suggested. "It won't seem out of the ordinary, seeing as we're new here, and she'll answer us. Plus, we could use the party to another advantage."

"What advantage might that be?" Chassis asked, folding his hooves.

"Remember our main objective. We need to find a powerful unicorn that can help us out. If we scout out the party, we just might find sompony that will meet those standards." Fang said with a smile as he rubbed his hooves together.

Cipha nodded in agreement. "Good idea, Fang. So until the party starts, what do we do until then?"

"We get ready to go to the festivities." Chassis responded, getting up from the table and going to the main door of the house.

"Where are you going?" Cipha asked.

"To check out the town a little more. Today is our last full day here. May as well get a last look around and try to find out more about this place." Chassis said, a green glow beginning to emanate from his horn. A green energy wave washed over his body, transforming his features. Within seconds, Chassis had changed from a changeling into the Ponyville newcomer, Silver Star.

Silver Star pushed open the door and walked outside into the morning sunlight, ready to find any last morsels of information before they had to go.

-Ponyville Library-

Twilight's eyes fluttered open, her vision instantly flooded by the sunlight that poured through her bedside window. Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, she peered over the edge of her bed to see Spike sleeping soundly in his basket bed. Twilight smiled as she heard the soft snores that came from the young dragon.

No dreams last night. And it looks like Spike had a good night's sleep as well. Twilight thought, reflecting on her peaceful rest the previous night. I suppose that's a good thing. She figured as she slid out of bed, careful not to make too much noise.

Her hooves made slight creaking sounds as Twilight descended the wooden staircase.

Twilight halted on the stairs as something caught her ear. "Hoot." She looked around, recognizing the sound.

"Owlowiscius? Where are you?" Twilight asked in a quiet tone, trying to let Spike continue sleeping. A flapping of wings above her caused Twilight to look up. She smiled as she saw her pet owl, Owlowiscius, hovering above the staircase.

"Good morning to you too." Twilight greeted the light amber brown owl.

"Hoo-hoot." Owlowiscius responded happily, flapping his brown wings slower as he descended to Twilight's eye level.

"So everything went well last night?" Twilight asked, her nocturnal assistant nodding in reply. "Well that's good to hear." She said with a smile. Twilight looked out the window and saw the sun brightening the morning sky. "Well seeing as the nighttime is over, you are relieved until further notice, Owlowiscius."

Owlowiscius landed on his wooden stand and lifted his wing in a salute, earning a chuckle from his purple owner.

Once on the ground floor, Twilight made her way to the kitchen. She didn't get far before hearing some laughter coming from outside. Curious as to where the laughter came from, Twilight looked out the window and looked across the street. In the house across from the library, she saw the silhouettes of two ponies laughing hysterically at a third pony that appeared to be doing something over a stove. Sheesh. Keep it down a bit, will ya? Twilight thought. Anyways, time for some breakfast. She thought happily as she trotted towards the kitchen.

As Twilight entered her kitchen, something white against the brown wood caught her eye. Something about the strange object drew her to it as Twilight approached it. Twilight looked down it and her breath hitched at what she saw.

"How is it here?" Twilight asked in disbelief. Before her sat the white book. It was the same white book that brought her into that terrible dream the other night. However, there was something different about it this time. Instead of a pearl in the center, there was a diamond-shaped amethyst.

Twilight's eyebrow rose slightly at noticing the different stone that was embedded in the cover. Should I look at it? What if that awful dream happens again?

"No terror will you see in this book." A low voice said.

Twilight's ears perked up as she looked around for the source of the voice. "Hello? Where are you?" She asked nervously.

"In front of you." The voice said. Twilight turned her head forward and only found the book in front of her.

"You don't sound like the voices I heard the first time." Twilight said, lifting a hoof tentatively.

"That's because I'm not the same being as the one that inhabited this book previously." The book's voice responded.

Twilight's eyes narrowed at the book. "How can I be sure I can trust you?"

The book's voice was quiet for a few moments. After a while, it spoke up. "After your first encounter with this book, I understand your skepticism. However, there are much larger things at work than simple talking books or strange dreams. They are but the beginning of the events that have yet to come."

Twilight began to process what this book might be saying. "And what might these events entail?" She questioned.

"Open this book and all your questions will be answered." The voice responded.

Twilight's hoof slowly began to go to the book's cover, both scared and anxious to see what was inside. Mustering up what courage, she had, Twilight pulled the book's cover open.


Spike woke with a yawn. Man, that was a much better night of sleep than I expected. He thought, looking up to Twilight's bed. Seeing that she wasn't there, Spike shrugged. Meh. She's probably just reading or making breakfast. Sliding out from under his blanket, he hopped out of the basket and began to walk downstairs.

"Twilight? You down here somewhere?" Spike called, wondering where his guardian had gone. Not hearing an answer, Spike became concerned. Where could she be?

"Hoot."

Spike's ears perked at the sound. He turned his head to see Owlowiscius sitting on his stand, waving a wing in greeting.

A smile spread on Spike's face at the sight of the owl. "Oh. Good morning, Owlowiscius. Have you seen Twilight anywhere?" Spike asked. Owlowiscius pointed a wing past Spike, causing him to turn to see where the bird was pointing. He looked and saw the hallway leading to the kitchen.

Well that answers that question. Spike thought. "Thanks, Owlowiscius." The young dragon said, earning a happy expression from the owl as he descended the rest of the staircase.

"Hey, Twilight, whatcha cooking in there?" Spike asked as he approached the kitchen entrance. Still not hearing a response, Spike's concern returned. Another thing he noticed was that he couldn't smell anything. He should have been able to smell the hay pancakes or toasted daisy sandwiches on his way to the kitchen, but the lack of sensory stimulation only added to his suspicion. "Twilight? What are you doing in-?" Spike began to ask, but was cut short by the sight of his guardian. Twilight was lying on the ground with her back turned to the entrance of the kitchen.

Terror gripped his heart as the young dragon ran to the purple alicorn's side. "Twilight! What happened?" Spike asked, turning her over to face him. What he saw confirmed his worst fears. "Not again!"

-Canterlot Castle-

Luna had lost track of the time. Ever since she woke up in the early morning, she paced the throne room anxiously as worried thoughts bounced around in her mind. The Shadow is coming back. I won't let him trick me so easily should he attempt to again. But what damage could he do to Equestria? She thought as she paced back and forth in the throne room. A clopping sound to her right drew her attention from her thoughts. She turned to see Celestia walking down the hall towards her.

"Have all the guards been alerted?" Luna asked her sister nervously.

"The squad commanders gave the news early this morning. Overtime shifts around the clock are being ordered to all the guardsponies." Celestia said reassuringly.

Luna sighed with relief. "Good. Hopefully the guards are up to the task."

"I know they are." Celestia said, putting a hoof over her sister's shoulders. "But I would be more concerned about you than them right now."

Luna looked up at her sister and gave her a confused look. "Why is that?"

"Think about it. The thing that made you into Nightmare Moon is coming back." Celestia said. Luna hung her head at the memory. "If I were you, I'd be an emotional wreck."

Luna looked back up and gave her sister a grin. "Don't sell yourself short, Tia. If anything, you did more than what I could have done had I been in your shoes."

Celestia gave her sister a thoughtful look. "I appreciate that, Luna. I just hope I don't have to do it again."

"Your Highnesses!" A voice called from the far side of the room. Both princesses looked to see a white-furred guardspony. His golden armor glinted in the sunlight that poured through the multiple stained glass windows. The plume on his helmet was a vibrant red, symbolizing his rank as a sergeant of the Celestial Guard Battalion.

"What is it, Sergeant?" Celestia addressed the guard.

The sergeant did a quick bow to the princesses and resumed his report. "We have sentries all around the perimeter of the castle and we have more en route to the city walls. Within the hour, nothing will get into this city without us knowing about it."

Luna nodded with approval. "Excellent work, Sergeant. Return to your post and report to us should anything develop."

The guard lifted his right hoof and gave the princesses a salute before turning around and walking out of the throne room.

"Well the guards are in position. Should we notify the citizens about this? Surely seeing all these guards patrolling around the city will cause some confusion." Luna pointed out.

Celestia nodded. "I agree. But how gently are we going to put it? We can't just say, 'An ancient evil of unknown power is going to be unleashed within the next few days and will more than likely attack Canterlot as soon as it's out'. It'd start a mass panic."

Luna rubbed her chin with a hoof. "Hmm. We could say that it's a part of an exercise." She suggested.

"An exercise?" Celestia asked in surprise.

Luna nodded. "Yes. We can say that they are practicing more effective ways of patrolling the walls and palace. Everypony will not find it to be unusual and continue with their daily activities."

Celestia pondered this. Slowly, her face softened into an agreeing expression. "You know… that could work. I'll make sure the newspapers and town heralds get that message."

Luna, satisfied that they were further prepared, turned to head out of the throne room when Celestia called to her.

"Luna." She said.

Luna turned her head to her sister. "Yes?"

"Yesterday you mentioned to me that you had some sort of dream the other night." Celestia said in a concerned tone. Luna nodded her head, her mind recalling the dream. "If I may ask, what exactly did it entail?"

Luna swallowed and sighed. "I appeared in Ponyville. I didn't recognize the town at first, but when I got to Twilight's library, that's where it clicked."

Celestia nodded. "Go on."

"I entered the library and was drawn to a book."

Celestia's eyebrow rose. "The same book that Twilight was talking about from her dream?"

"The same. White cover, gold trim, pearl embedded in the center. When I approached the book, it started whispering… things." Luna said.

The sun goddess's eyes narrowed. "What kind of things?"

Luna scoured her memory for what the voices said in the dream. "I can't remember all of them. But I do remember one phrase in particular."

"And that is?" Celestia pushed.

Luna's eyes closed as she solemnly said, "The long night approaches."

The room was silent. Neither sister spoke a word as the phrase sank in. Luna looked for a reaction from her sister, but found none. Celestia stood there with a stone-faced expression, as if contemplating what the words meant.

"Do you know what that means, Tia?" Luna asked, snapping Celestia out of her thoughts.

Celestia heaved a sigh. "If it means what I think it means, then we must be ready to face it." Luna nodded in agreement. "And nopony else knows this?"

Luna shook her head. "Nopony but you and I."

Celestia looked at the stained glass windows that surrounded them. "Good." She said, pausing to think. "Go and alert your guards. They must be as thorough in their patrols in the night as mine are in the day.

Luna nodded and exited the throne room, closing the large golden doors behind her and leaving Celestia in the room by herself.

Celestia sighed and slowly walked back up to her golden throne. She sat down in it and looked at the stained glass around her, each window depicting the major events that occurred in the history of her reign. From Nightmare Moon's banishment to the recovery of the Crystal Empire, she'd been there through it all.

The long night approaches. Her mind repeated the phrase. Celestia bowed her head, closed her eyes and sighed, letting a single tear fall from her eye.

PreviousChapters Next