• Published 15th Apr 2018
  • 332 Views, 2 Comments

Ghosts of War - Naryyn



Scootaloo's journal about her time in the Military.

  • ...
 2
 332

Chapter 1: Training Begins

Wow, the last few days have been crazy. So, I ended up arriving at the training base at around ten in the evening. A few other ponies and myself were herded into a small conference room to have our squadrons assigned to us. After that they took us to another small room to fill out paperwork for what seemed like hours. They gave us a small snack before ushering us off into yet another room where we got yelled at. We were then issued our rain gear then sent down a small hallway to split off according to the squadron we were assigned.

I didn’t think that many of us were in the same squadron, but I think about eighty others got on that bus with me. When we arrived at our squadron dorm we were split up again, this time by gender. A gruff, war-hardened stallion approached my group and in a gravelly voice said, “Good evening ladies, I am Sergeant Ruger and I will be your instructor for the next few weeks. Well, now that introductions are out of the way, I want you to know that I am not your friend. My job is to make you all war-ready and able to fulfill your duties as protectors of Equestria.”

He spoke like that for a long time and he didn’t seem like he was that bad of a guy. That was, until, one of the younger mares in our group started to giggle.His attitude changed drastically and he bolted towards her stopping only when his muzzle was less than an inch away from hers. He started to yell at her and she looked so scared that she may have been close to wetting herself. That went on for a while longer before he yelled at the rest of us to grab our stuff and go upstairs.

The dorm, if you can call it that, is basically just a large room split by a wall and filled with beds. the bathroom is pretty much the same and is set in the small hallway that runs from the exit door to the day room. I’m not sure why it’s called a day room, it’s just a small room with no chairs save the one that is behind the only desk. We were rushed in there and it got cramped very quickly as we stored our civilian stuff in a small closet.

Sergeant Ruger yelled at us to sit down and when we didn’t do it quickly enough he had us stand back up. He repeated this until he was satisfied that we were doing it fast enough. Then he went off on another rant before sending us to bed. When the lights went out after we found the beds we were assigned, it got eerily quiet. Sleep came easily as I was exhausted but I was woken up some time later to the sound of muffled sobs. I tried to ignore it and eventually I fell back to sleep. This didn’t last either because about an hour later Sergeant Ruger came in. He started banging on beds with a stick and yelling at all of us to wake up and fall into a line in the hallway. We were getting our uniforms and it would also be the first time we marched in formation.

For a while, as we marched towards clothing issue, everything was fine until one of the girls fell out of step. We were immediately ordered to halt and drop down to do wing push-ups. We did this while Sergeant Ruger ran forward and started yelling at the girl who messed up. We pushed for what had to be twenty minutes before we continued on. No one liked that girl for what happened but she never fell out of step again. She had probably heard about sock parties and was afraid we might throw one for her if she did screw up.

Comments ( 2 )

Uh.. ok? you just uploaded this, suddenly its canceled.

8865490
There is an author's note explaining.

Login or register to comment