• Published 1st Dec 2013
  • 925 Views, 13 Comments

Goodbye - heartbrokenpariah



After an unfortunate accident, Dinky must say goodbye.

  • ...
3
 13
 925

Saying Goodbye

It was a sunny day in Ponyville, with hardly a cloud in the sky. The kind of day where everyone is out enjoying the day. Unfortunately not everyone was enjoying the day. In the graveyard Dinky sat on her haunches near a grave stone quietly sobbing. It had been a year since her mom had passed away and yet she remembered the day so clearly.

It was a typical morning around the house, Derpy had gotten up brushed her mane and went downstairs. She had gotten up a bit earlier that morning so she could bake some chocolate chip muffins for her special muffin. She was extra careful so as not to make a mess, seeing as she had a tendency to be a bit clumsy. After the muffins were baked Derpy went upstairs to wake up Dinky.

When she entered the room all she could see was Dinky's head just above the blanket. Derpy just stood there for a few moments, not wanting to disturb Dinky's peaceful slumber but knew that school time was fast approaching. Derpy quietly walked over and gently called Dinky's name. The filly stirred and slowly started to open her eyes and she saw her mom's beautiful blonde hair and golden eyes. Even though her eyes were walleyed they were still a very nice sight to see.

" Good morning mom," Dinky said as she stretched. "Good morning my little muffin I have a surprise for you," Derpy said as she gave her daughter a nuzzle. Dinky shot out from under the blanket with joy and asked " what is it what is mom?" Dinky asked. " Come downstairs and you will see" Derpy replied. Dinky quickly got out of bed and raced down the stairs with Derpy following after her.

When they were both downstairs Derpy took the cloth off of the muffins. Dinky's eyes lit up with glee, usually they had oatmeal for breakfast and muffins were reserved for special occasions. When Dinky was served a muffin she devoured it. "You always make the best muffins mom," Dinky stated. "That's because I make them with love." Derpy said.

After Dinky was finished her breakfast she went upstairs to get ready for school. She brushed her hair and teeth and made sure she had her homework. When she got back down her mom had already packed her lunch and they were ready to go. So they set out onto the beautiful morning in which the sun was shining, the temperature was warm with a light breeze and there was seldom a cloud in the sky.

As they walked to the school house Derpy accidentally bumped into a fruit stand knocking some of the wares off of the cart. After a couple seconds of apologies they continued on their way and a few minutes later arrived at the school house. Derpy gave the paper bag with Dinky's lunch in it to her, gave her a brief nuzzle and told her to have a good day.

After that Dinky wandered onto the playground and found a couple of friends to play with. After a few minutes of play the school bell rang meaning it was time to head inside and start learning. Dinky entered the building and headed to Ms.Cheerilee's class. That morning they learned about basic math and spelling. When lunch rolled around Dinky was rather hungry and excitedly open up her lunch bag. She was overjoyed when she saw a muffin an apple and apple juice. But at the very bottom of the bag there was a small slip of paper and inscribed on it was ' have a good day my muffin I love you very much', love mom. This made Dinky smile as she started eating her lunch.

After lunch recess was over and they were halfway through some reading there was a knock at the door. Cheerilee but the book down and answered as the class started to talk amongst themselves. After a few moments Cheerilee poked her head back in the door and called for Dinky. Most of the class started to ooooh and a few made some silly remarks while Dinky started to make her way to the hallway. When she got there she saw Cheerilee and a pale pink Pegasus, with a cutie mark of hoof cuffs.

Cheerilee shut the class room door and then spoke in a somber tone " Dinky I'm afraid I have some bad news, your mother was in an accident today and is now in the hospital." The whole world seemed to stop for a few moments as Dinky digested this information. The pink Pegasus proceeded to say " Your mother was on her usual delivery rounds when she was hit by a reckless carriage driver. The stallion however has been caught and is now in jail." That didn't matter in the least to Dinky as she started to sob and she said in between sobs " I want to see my mommy."

So the pink Pegasus led the way to the hospital where they stopped at the front desk to find out where she was. Dinky saw the pink Pegasus talk with the receptionist and give few nods here and there. After a minute or so the police mare walked over to Dinky and said " Your mother is right down the hall, but you have to be careful around her." Dinky nodded just wanting to see her mom. So they walked down the hallway leading to her Derpy's room when they arrived it was a sad sight to behold. Derpy was hooked up to several machines and looked a mess. "Mom!" Dinky cried as she ran towards the bed.

Derpy cracked open her eyes, she felt really weak from her operation but it made her smile a bit when she saw her muffin run towards her. Dinky had a steady stream of tears coming down her face as she leaned against the side of the bed. "Mommy, are you going to be okay?" Dinky asked. "I'm not sure muffin, but I hope so. Always remember that no matter what I'll always love you." Derpy stated." Derpy then closed her eyes and the machines she was hooked up to started to make noise as dinky looked over to see the police mare push a button on the wall and doctors rushed in the room.

Somepony escorted Dinky out of the room, all the while she was screaming and calling for her mother. They got her back to the lobby and they kept her in place to avoid any further complications. After what seemed like hours a nurse finally strode into the lobby with a saddened expression on her face and in a sober voice told them that she didn't make it. Dinky didn't believe this and before any one could stop her she ran past the nurse and down the hall to her mother's room. When she got there there was still a doctor there putting a sheet over her mom. She bumped him out of her way and ripped the sheet back to find her mother cold and lifeless. Dinky just held her mother and cried, however the doctor and nurse remove her from her mother and dinky put up a large struggle. She thrashed about and kept shouting for her mom.

The police mare took the sobbing Dinky with her to the station where she was given a nice bed and blanket. She cried herself to sleep that night. The next morning when she woke up the grim reality hit her like a brick wall; her mother was gone. She heard talk from the room over that the funeral arrangements were made, which made Dinky start crying again. A police colt came over and tried to calm her down but it was no use.

That evening the funeral took place and a few ponies Dinky recognized as her mothers friend were there. It was a quick and somber event and many ponies came over and offered their condolences to Dinky. She didn't pay much attention to it however it was all just too much for her to handle. She watched along with many others as the casket with her mother in it was slowly lowered into the ground.

Weeks later one of Derpy's friends adopted Dinky and tried her very best to cheer her up. But to Dinky it was a large part of her that had died as well. All of the fond memories, the good times and even the silly moments. It all made up who they were as a mother and daughter. How she was missing her mother's beautiful blonde hair, golden eyes and her amazing personality.

It had been a year since that happened and now Dinky sat by her mother's grave. She placed a bouquet of carnations by her tombstone. "Mom it's been a long year since I've seen you," Dinky started "and not a day goes by when I don't miss you. The way you smiled the way you brightened up my day and your muffins, which are still the best. A few have tried but no one will ever take you place. I hope you are happy where you are maybe one day I'll see you again, but not likely for a very long time."

With that said Dinky placed a note by the grave stone and headed off towards the place she called home. Tears ran down her cheek as she walked out of the graveyard. On the note she put near the grave stone was the simple message of ' I love you mom.'

Comments ( 10 )

It hurts.... Thank you for writing this. :pinkiesad2:

~There was an error: "as her mother's friend were there is was a quick and somber"

~Should be - 'as her mother's friends were there. It was a quick and somber'
Also in the description, male mare should be mail mare.

(If you ever need an editor, feel free to look me up)

You used the wrong mail in the description.

... I'm a bit lost for words right now... How about here's a favorite? Will that do? Now excuse me as I go cry myself to sleep... P.S. Damn that was touching...

That was sad. I did spot some errors in spelling, but only, like, three or so.

Anyway, good story, keep writing! :pinkiesmile:

3730950

Thank you for the comment. I appreciate the feedback. :)

No problem. Seriously, there wasn't really anything wrong with the story line,. You did a great job.

4377602
Thanks, next time I'm feeling motivated enough to write a story I'll make sure to do so. :) have a good day!

4377970
No thanks, it's fine not many people view it anyway.

Hmm, very touching story. I think this is first story I've read of its type. Great job with the story here, it is worth the read. :)

4667447
Thank you, it's the first story I ever wrote and I spent a few hours typing it on my phone and editing. Glad you like it :)

Login or register to comment