• Published 28th Nov 2013
  • 399 Views, 12 Comments

"O brave new world, That has such people in't". - Initiate Brony



This is the tale of a young college student being transported to Equestria for no reason at all. (Or is there? Nah probably not) Where he will at last find true happiness.

  • ...
7
 12
 399

3

I awoke in a cold sweat and out of breath. Outside I could see the the bright colors of a new dawn on the horizon, with the earliest of the day's birds already chirping. Steadying my uneasy breathing I pulled my blanket robe close and decided to get up, trying to go back to sleep after a nightmare was always a fruitless endeavor for me. After a few minutes of looking I found a cupboard with a candlestick, lighting it with the embers in the fireplace I brought it up to the nearest bookshelf. I sought out the L section, feverishly searching for a tome about my dream-time visitor. L... Lucky Pony, no, no, Law and Order in Equestria, no, no, who organized these books in such a way?... aha! I pulled a thick volume from one row, blowing off some dust and turning it over to see the title: Tales of Princess Luna.

I carried the book to the couch, setting it and the candle down on a reading table. Flipping the rather heavy cover open, I started reading. Skimming over some of the longer winded and dry stuff, I was able to discern that Luna was Celestia's younger sister who she ruled Equestria with and they were responsible for discovering the Elements of Harmony. Whatever those are.
As she stated Princess of the Night, et cetera et cetera--oooh! Looks like someone got greedy!--who at one point challenged Celestia in an attempt to create everlasting night, becoming Nightmare Moon.
Clever name might I add.
Using the Elements Celestia banished her to... the moon? I gazed out at the moon as it descended opposite the sun, I hadn't been imagining that face on the moon then. Where she remained for a thousand years before escaping again, luckily the Elements of Harmony were reunited by a group of young mares led by TWILIGHT SPARKLE!? I stopped reading and turned to look up the stairwell, I knew a pony with Jedi mind powers and was the savior of Equestria!

I picked the right library to break into.

Reading the little remainder of the book I found a piece of paper tucked into the back. Unfolding it, I found a picture of Twilight and her band of friends. At this point trying to stifle my involuntary "Awwww," was pointless, there was Twilight in the middle, with a calm pink maned yellow pegasus laying down in front of her, an orange perhaps tan colored earth pony with blonde hair and a stetson to her left (I could almost hear the southern drawl), another unicorn with white fur and an extravagant (not quite purple or blue) mane, behind her was a exuberant looking pink earth pony whose hair I could swear was cotton candy, and next to her was a cyan pegasus with a confident expression and posture as well as a rainbow colored mane.

They seem like a pleasant bunch to meet, I thought as I tucked the photo back in its place and closed the book.

"Sleep well?" a familiar voice called from the stairs, making me jump despite its soft tone.
Composing myself I turned to see Twilight blush a little as she walked down the steps to join me. I shifted over offering her a seat on the couch. She sat, "Sorry for scaring you, I didn't expect you to be up yet," she smiled, "you usually get up this early?" she asked having noted my slightly grizzled expression.

I rubbed my eyes, "To be honest I only get up this early on school days, I just didn't sleep too good last night is all," I replied stretching my arms and quickly recoiling them to avoid Twilight seeing my shameful armpit hair. She bore a worried look, "I have a feeling that it was more than sleeping down here that's got you out of sorts Jim."

Man she is perceptive, or I really just look like crap.

Not really knowing how to begin I gestured to the Tales of Princess Luna copy still sitting on the table. She raised an eyebrow at me, and retrieved the book with her magic reading the title aloud; "Tales of Princess Luna? Why were you curious about her...?", she trailed off for a moment and set the book down. "Were you visited by her in your dreams?" she queried. I nodded back, still sincerely perturbed by it myself, but I didn't want her to know that, "Yeah, she just stopped in to say 'hi' it seemed," I bluffed in a carefree tone,"probably just wondering what I was or something."

Twilight eyed me suspiciously, "If you say so, but Luna has a tendency to only visit those in great need." She trotted over to the "L" section with the book and slid it back into place. "I think today you should go out and explore Ponyville, and meet my friends," Twilight proposed in a more cheerful voice.

Seeing my apparent skepticism, she rolled her eyes, "Don't worry, ponyfolk aren't as hostile to new people as they are where you're from," when my doubt still lingered she was quick to add, "I'll be with you the whole time showing you the sights."

With this I perked right up, and standing had to make fast grab for my dignity blanket tragedy averted. Experiencing such a close call, my face went bright red and I almost frantically asked, "Any chance I can wear my normal clothes when we go out?"

"Hmm?" Twilight (fortunately for me) had not witnessed the near catastrophe and had been stoking the fire. She turned around with smile, waiting for me to speak. I repeated the question, "Oh that's right, I had Spike wash them last night, let me go get them." and with that she hurried upstairs. I followed after her, not wanting to get dressed in a room with a front door and lots of windows. Twilight gave me the third floor to myself, forcing a grumpy Spike to get started on his morning chores. I thanked him for taking care of my laundry and got a half-hearted snarl in response.
I know that feel bro.

Glad to be back in clothes again, I headed downstairs towards the smell of something cooking.

___________________________________________________________________

Breakfast was brief but well-made, consisting of eggs and haycakes, both of which I found odd but filling, Spike knew how to cook pretty well for someone his age. Our bellies full, we prepared to leave. I snugged down my sweatshirt as Twilight grabbed a saddlebag emblazoned with her... cutie mark? I think that's what she called it.

"Oh now where did I put that scarf?" she asked herself, opening a few drawers and rearranging the couch pillows. I spotted it atop a shelf near the door, and plucked it off. "Here, Twilight I found it," I said waving it about to catch her attention. She smiled and trotted over to me, holding out a hoof. "Allow me," I offered wrapping it carefully about her neck.

That's when I really took note of how very different Twilight looked from the ponies back home. Her hooves looked far cleaner and the same color as the rest of her fur, which seemed to lack any imperfections. Her face was not that of a 'normal' pony either, she had an almost human-like face if that made any sense and her eyes still got me even then.

I had finished putting her scarf on, and was just standing there oblivious that I was staring at Twilight. I couldn't tell if she was staring back but she was the first to break the silence, clearing her throat and shifting her eyes to the floor.
I blinked a couple of times returning from dreamland, and we silently left the residence.

The air was brisk and refreshing as I walked alongside Twilight with my hands stuffed in my pockets heading down the street. Smoke rose from the chimneys of the neighborhood and the relatively quiet bustle of the town filled the background. A few ponies pasted us, at first taken aback at the odd creature that had appeared in their quiet town, but seemed to calm somewhat when they saw Twilight with me.

Twilight must have a bit of a reputation if the people are calmer when they see an alien with her and don't start a riot.

We eventually came to a house that I could swear was made of desserts, with a sign reading: "Sugarcube Corner". I followed her in, reflexively ducking underneath the short door, but luckily the inside was more accommodating for my size. Behind the counter festooned with treats of all shapes and sizes stood a lanky orange pony in a cook's hat and apron. We approached the counter. "Morning Mr. Cake," Twilight greeted pleasantly, "is my order of muffins ready?"

Mr. Cake gaped at me for a few seconds longer and snapped out of it, "Oh oh oh, right! Sorry Twilight I'll go get them from the back," and he disappeared through a set of doors to the kitchen.

"I'm guessing that won't be the last time I am regarded like that?" I awkwardly asked, a little flustered at being stared at with such shock. "Well how did you react when you first saw a pony from Ponyville?" She shot back, not looking back at me. Surprised at her somewhat harsh tone, I stuck my hands in my pockets again and rocked back on my heels--"SOMEPONY NEW!"

A pink blur shot out of the blue, landing square in my chest and sending me sprawling on my back. "Who are you? What are you? Where you from? >gasp!< Do you know Twilight? How old are you?" followed by a bunch of other questions from the ordinary to the utterly random while the pink pony I recognized from the photo bounced up and down on my chest making squee sounds the entire time while I tried to respond. "MY >squee< NAME >squee< IS >squee< Jim! >squee<"

That's about as much as I could utter before Twilight cut in, lifting my assailant off of me with her magic, still chattering away. "Pinkie Pie! Why do you always have to assault anypony new?" Twilight berated.

Pinkie stopped her gabbering for a moment, "Sorry Twilight, but you know I can't help myself!" and Twilight's magic aura dropped her back on the floor. After the proper introductions were done, Pinkie invited me to take a seat at a nearby table before challenging me to a muffin eating contest--that she easily won since she seemed to be able to defy the laws of physics at will. We were busy enjoying ourselves when we heard a cry from Twilight, "YOU TWO JUST ATE MY ENTIRE ORDER OF MUFFINS! THOSE WHERE MEANT TO LAST A WHOLE WEEK!"

I looked down at the empty box, "Oopsie, sorry Twilight, she issued a challenge--it was a matter of HONOR!" I declared, chest held out in a mock heroic manner. Pinkie chortled, "I like this guy, finally somepony who appreciates a food contest!"

Twilight let out a annoyed groan before ordering another batch. Fortunately Mr. Cake took pity on her and didn't charge her for the replacements.
"Come on Jim, hopefully we can do the rest of today's errands without any more interruptions" as she scribbled out part of the list, and moved to leave. "Ah come on Twilight, lighten up! Its not like you have to buy more," I chuckled stumbling to my feet and catching up with my peeved guide. I waved bye to Pinkie, who returned it tenfold in a joyful flail of her front leg and a grin that was almost disproportional to her face.

Twilight was put out with me and didn't respond to my excuse, just taking out her list, "Now we need to stop by Sweet Apple Acres," she fixed a glare on me, "and no eating the item we came for mister."

Sweet Apple Acres laid on the outskirts of Ponyville, and stretched for what looked like miles of picturesque bountiful apple trees, easily putting my old farm at home to shame. "Wow, man the land must be fertile for that many trees," I remarked, admiring the expanse. Twilight glanced at the orchard, but said nothing, the barnyard was just ahead.

"Heya Twilight!" Dat accent The Stetson wearing pony I recognized immediately as she tromped up with a warm expression. "And who's this?" she asked, her mood surprisingly going on undaunted. Happy with another friendly face, I held out a hand for a hoofshake, "Jim, good to meet you Miss...?"
"Its Applejack, and this here's Big Mac," she pointed to a large red stallion who walked up with a cart with a few buckets and a barrel who responded with a simple "Eyup." "That's Applebloom," a simply adorable little filly ran up with a red mane and large pink bow wearing a grin Pinkie would be proud of with a glint in her eye I couldn't quite place until she spoke in an accent just as thick as Applejack's: "You don't have a cutie mark either! You wouldn't want to join the Cutie Mark Crusaders would you? Would you would you would you?" she chittered racing around my legs in great excitement. I glanced down at my side, stifling a laugh, "Ahh sure, why not." With this response the filly sprang up in great joy before running off towards town, "I can't wait to tell Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo!"

Turning back to everpony else it has begun! I saw Applejack shake her head with a knowing smile, "Oh now you gone dun it, expect to be wrangled into more than a few shenanigans," "Eyup" Big Mac agreed.
"Getting back on track," Twilight huffed "since our last stop took up precious time," she again gave me a look, "Is the cider I asked you about ready yet?"
"Oh, right, course it is Twilight. Macintosh's got it right here," Applejack replied pointing at the barrel in the cart. Before Mac could volunteer to carry it for us, I grabbed it and tucked it under my right arm. "Nice arm there Jimbo, now if y'all got whatchya came for we got more work to do, maybe we can get to know ya better later?", Applejack suggested turning with Big Mac towards the apple orchards. We said our goodbyes and sauntered back to town.

Twilight's mood seemed to have lightened since she had me to carry the be a man, don't show the discomfort of carrying this heavy damn barrel. "Next on the list is some suitable clothing for you, since you seem the type to wear them out soon," she declared circling one item on her list and tucking it in her saddlebag again. We approached a very ornate looking house that looked almost like a covered carousel in design, in a word--fabulous. Ringing the doorbell, a lavish almost British accent called, "Be right there!" in a sing-songy way.

"Oh hello Twilight!" a white unicorn with a perfect mane addressed her friend before turning to me, "And who is this tall fellow? A visiting dignitary?" She examined my clothes, letting out a gasp of horror, "Oh darling dearest I cannot allow you to parade around town in such drab attire!" dragging me into the boutique, my head hitting the sign outside.
The yellow pegasus with the pink mane was standing in the front room with a half finished dress on, she tensed up and cowered back as I was nearly flung into the room. Within seconds the fashionista was upon me with a tape measure and fashionable glasses sitting on her nose.

"At least take a man out to dinner before you have your way with him," I joked whilst my personal space was blatantly intruded upon. The designer froze in mid-measurement, biting her lip in embarrassment, "Sorry dear, but the need to rectify such a crime against fabulousity overtook me."
"Well at least Rarity got started on her measurements." Twilight giggled, setting her bag down and taking a seat near the yellow and pink mare standing quietly in the corner, "Hey Fluttershy, how's your day been?"

The mare mumbled and whispered at the same time, "I'm okay Twilight..." avoiding all possible eye contact with me. With as much composure as I could I introduced myself to Rarity, she was most civil but distracted as she put all her energy towards measurements and clothing materials. While she gathered materials for my opinion I attempted to make small talk with Fluttershy, I got a few words out of her but not much of a real conversation, she made me look like an extrovert when it came to new people.

It took me a while to pick a color scheme, which Rarity simply insisted upon and Twilight became impatient after the fourth set, so I made a quick decision. Saying goodbye to Fluttershy and Rarity--and that demonspawn cat of hers--we headed for Twilight's house as the sun dropped behind the mountains. At this time I actually got a good look at that structure I had seen upon the slopes of the solitary mountain to the north. It was a giant castle, with a number of surrounding structures on large supports that propped it against the steep slopes it rested on. "What's that place?" I asked Twilight pointing across the great distance to the mountain. "Canterlot? Its the capital of Equestria, where Princess Celestia and Luna live. Its also where me and Spike are from." She seemed to have some good memories there judging from how her demeanor improved. At about this time we arrived at the library, I opened the door for her, "Thanks Jim."

_____________________________________________________________

"Spike? Spike!" Twilight shouted, setting her scarf down on a pedestal. When the little dragon didn't waddle his way down the stairs she sighed, "He's probably already asleep." Shifting the cider barrel in my grip, "This thing got a place?" I asked. "Right," Twilight answered emptying her saddlebag onto the reading table in an orderly manner, "it goes in the kitchen pantry," she pointed to a nearby door. I maneuvered my way in, careful not to rearrange the kitchen, finding a suitable spot on a big shelf in the pantry alongside bags of oats. Back in the living room Twilight had started a fire and was busy writing what looked like a report to the Princess She reports everything doesn't she?, and I decided to find a book to read. After a moment of perusal I found a suitable title, "Canterlot Social Life".

Sitting down on the couch, I cracked open the book. Twilight finished her report and set it aside, sitting next to me on the couch, "Canterlot Social Life? What made you grab that one?" she asked with a weird sound to her voice--like the mention of 'social life' caught her off guard. "What do you mean? You don't seem like much of a socialite Twilight--" She found fault at this, quickly stammering: "W-what's that s-supposed to mean Jim?" before quickly adding with a smirk, "Not like you're one to talk." At this remark I cried "En Garde!" playfully poking her in the exposed side to which she reacted with a fan girl-like squeal and wriggled away. "Aha!" I did not relent so easily, Continuously tickling her sides until she was sputtering for air and screeching "Enough Jim, enough for pony's sake!" as she escaped my grasp a deep lavender blush on her face.

She yawned, seeing the time on the clock, "Alright, that's enough rough-housing for one night Jim." and she walked up the stairs. I placed the book back where I got it from, and followed Twilight up to the third floor to retrieve my blankets. I found them near the stairs and said goodnight. "Hold on a minute Jim, you don't have to stay on the floor downstairs," Twilight shouted down to me. Interested in what she meant I walked up the stairs to her landing to find a much larger bed in place of her old one. Skepticism and nervousness descended on me, "Uh Twi... why is the bed bigger?"

She looked it over, a nervous smile on her features, "Yeah there was a mix-up with the bed store and they replaced my bed with a larger mattress instead of delivering a large bed for you. They left a note," she pawed the ground with her right hoof. "Okay," I breathed, getting rid of the awkward silence (with the exception of Spike's snoring), "this will work for tonight I think."
I sat on the edge of the bed taking off my shoes and undoing my belt, hands shaking the entire time, I glanced over at Twilight on the opposite side. She was neatly folding the covers over and slipping into them, politely looking away as to give me some privacy. I stripped out of my pants and set them off the side, keeping my shirt on (a mixture of nervousness around a female--species aside--and having never been the most athletic of men). I slid into bed as slick as possible calm steady breaths, steady, that's the key.

Twilight blew out the candle at the bed stand and pulled up the covers while I laid there as frigid as a frozen sardine.
Just don't move. At. All. Don't invade her space and the night will go smoothly.

Of course, Twilight had other plans. I felt a warm leg nudge my side, "What are you doing Twi?" I whispered, startled at the contact. "Shhh, I just want someone to snuggle with," that's what I always said and it never worked and with that she pulled herself up to my right side and tucked her head under my arm. I moved it into position to support her head and sighed, enjoying the closeness. I listened to her breathing as sleep took her, and I steadily followed suit.

Never guessed that I liked the bookish type.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay on this chapter but I had to go out of town to visit relatives for Thanksgiving. I hope I did a sufficient job with this one, I want things to progress relatively slow in the relationship since it always bugged me when they go from acquaintance to friend to special somepony in no time flat.
Constructive criticism is always welcome, leave a comment--it helps a lot.

P.S. that mix up of the CMC names has been fixed, I punched myself for messing their names up--I have dishonored my clan :(