• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 781 Views, 34 Comments

From the Ruins - Doctor Derpin



Love has a funny way of popping up just about anywhere.

  • ...
2
 34
 781

Second impressions

Chapter 9
Second impressions
--Twilight--

As the first rays of dawn broke through the window over her bed, Twilight Sparkle scowled. I'm to bucking tired for this. she thought to herself, The others can wait, I'm sleeping in... PERIOD. The universe, it seemed, had other ideas. Not ten minutes after the town's mayor had made her decision, there was a loud banging on her door accompanied by a countrified shout that could come from only one pony she knew.

What did Rarity do this time, Applejack? Twilight bitterly wondered to herself. The conflict between her two friends had always been visibly present, they were just too different for it not to be, but the ruin that had come with the destroyers intensified it from mere disagreement to outright loathing. It didn't help that Applejack had buried herself in her work after Big Mac and Applebloom died. At this point, Twilight wasn't sure she'd seen her cowpony friend away from the farm for anything but business for months. It was like the bitterness she felt from the loss was shaping her into a new pony and that worried Twilight. The unicorn missed her friend dearly, but when they were around Applejack was quiet and irritable. Whenever she did talk, it was almost always to argue with Rarity. How ironic, the pony you talk to the most is your sworn enemy.

Twilight's train of thought was interrupted by another loud knock on the door. "I'm comming, just hold on." She called as she forced herself out of the warm comfort of her bed.

Twilight heard Sweetie Belles's voice coming from behind the front door as she walked down stairs. She couldn't make out what was said, but Applejack immidiately snapped back, "Then why were y'all there in ta first place?!"

At this point, Twilight became conserned. Sweetie Belle hasn't been anything but a model citizen. What happened? she asked herself as she opened the door. What stood before her was the "new Applejack." The most noticeable change was the jagged scar that clawed from the left side of her snout all the way across her face, covering her eyelid, to the point just below her ear. Twilight, however, noticede the more subtle changes. Her once smiling face was almost constantly replaced with a scowl, the tangled mess of mane that hid beneath her old hat replaced the once beautiful flowing mane, and on and on the list of changes went; each item making Twilight's heart retreat deeper and deeper.

"Ah found these two asleep in mah orchard this mornin'." She said, gesturing to the two ponies standing next to her. Sweetie tried to protest but was cut off but a nod from that grey unicorn.

"How many apples are missing?" Twilight asked

"Well... uh... none." Applejack conseaded "But ah still think it's a mite suspiscuous ta find em asleep there."

The unicorn looked over at Twilight, thought for a moment, then spoke in an educated tone, "Sweetie Belle and I have commited no crime. All we did was fall asleep. I apologise for the fact that I was on your property, however your actions are a bit extreme for this situation."

Twilight looked and saw that Applejack had them both tied together, she sighed "Applejack there was no harm done, just calm down and let's work this out." she said in her nicest and most calm tone.

Applejack grunted, clearly displeased, "Ya mind tellin me what y'all were doin in mah fields then?"

"Sweetie and I were taking a walk." the unicorn said. What was his name? He did introduce himself right? Twilight racked her mind for the answer.

"Spark!" She shouted in triumph.

Spark just looked at her, causing her cheeks to become more of a rosey pink than lavender. "That's your name, right?" she asked

He chuckled, "Yeah, that's me." then he made a face of regret and his eyes went to the ground, "I'm sorry I was a prick the other day."

Twilight had completely forgotten about that, there had been so much happening that day. She looked up to respond and saw that he was blushing slightly, Is he really that embarrased about the other day? Or mabye he... no... not possible. she thought to herself. "That's alright." Twilight said.

Applejack rolled her eyes and sighed, "Y'all can go flirtin' with eachother after we find out what they were up to last night!"

Spark's eyes shot open in a classic "deer in the headlights" look. Twilight was just as surprised, "Applejack, we were just talking. Calm down."

"Ah just wanna know what they were up to!"

"Rarity was with a colt and I couldn't be there!" Sweetie Belle suddenly shouted, "I'm afraid to be alone at night, so I went to see Scootaloo and she was still sick, so I went to see if Spark would walk with me! We went to the fields because that's where I always go when Rarity's doing her 'favors' I just don't like it!" She went on.

There was a stunned silence. After a few seconds Applejack untied the rope that was restricting the two and walked away without saying another word. Sweetie Belle's eyes were tearing up as she turned and ran home, leaving the two unicorns alone. I wasn't really flirting with him... was I? she silently wondered. He is pretty smart, but I just met the guy... no... I was just makeing conversation, we were jsut talking. The distant ruble of thunder shook some sense into them. The rain quickly followed, "Would you like to come in? I'd hate to leave you out in the rain alone." Twilight said.

Spark nodded in ascent, "Thank you," he said, "That is very kind of you."

"You're very welcome." She said, ushering him in, "It's only supposed to storm for about an hour or so."

"Are you sure your small group of pegasai can handle it?" Spark asked.

Twilight looked up at the brewing storm, and said "Not in the slightest."

That got a laugh out of both of them. They waited for a moment, then walked in... still laughing together.