• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 782 Views, 34 Comments

From the Ruins - Doctor Derpin



Love has a funny way of popping up just about anywhere.

  • ...
2
 34
 782

The Burdens of Office

Chapter 3
The Burdens of Office
--Twilight Sparkle--


When Twilight had been unanimously elected as the new mayor of Ponnyville, she had been honored. The community had looked to her in their hour of need because they believed her to be the right pony for the job. It meant the world to the little unicorn. Now, all she wanted to do was get up and run. This wasn't the first disagreement she'd had to settle between Rarity and Applejack... or the second... or the third... in fact it was somewhere around the twenty-seventh. She barely even listened to their debates anymore, it had become too painful. Their losses during the destruction had made them bitter and they needed an outlet fot that bitterness.

"Isn't that correct Twilight?" Rarity asked, interupting Twilight's inner complaints.

"Huh... What? I'm sorry I didn't hear that." Twilight said, somewhat dazedly

The Designer looked offended "Twilight, I've explained this three times now."

"Well," Applejack said with a smug look, "She probably didn't hear y'all 'cause ya been bringin' up that point too much."

That brought on another round of bickering and whining. Twilight endured this for about two minutes until she bolted up and roared "BUCK IT, I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!" That display silenced both of the ponies immidiately. She turned to the door with tears in her eyes "I just need some space. We'll finish later."

Walking down the ruined streets of her home didn't help much either, the wounds of loss were still easily opened. After a few minutes of abscent minded wandering Twilight found herself at the run down remnants of Sugarcube Corner. No one had seen Pinkie Pie in person since the incident with the raiders that had taught Twilight a harsh lesson about the power of a blade. Hell, nopony was even sure the party pony was alive. Most assumed so, the food that was left for her was eaten and occational giggles could be heard at strange hours. You have the right idea Pinkie. Just isolate yourself and die in peace. Sometimes, I wish I could do that. she thought But there are ponies who depend on me with their lives and I can't let them down. As Twilight looked up to the second floor of the old bakery she felt another round of tears rolling down her face. "I just miss you so much Pinkie." she said to nopony at all.

She thought back to everypony they had lost: Applebloom, Big Mac, Lyra, Derpy, Ms. Cheerily, Spike, Princess Celestia. She broke down and sobbed; she sobbed so loudly that she didn't even notice the strange pony coming up behind her.