• Published 7th Mar 2012
  • 2,681 Views, 154 Comments

Is this how it ends? - Slick Dash



The third and final instalment of my Rainbow/Tom series...

  • ...
6
 154
 2,681

An incident

A few minutes later I leafed the small unkempt house, waving goodbye to the only human to show me kindness since my return to earth. I began to trudge through the slowly building crowds as the morning went on. The noise was still unbearable, but this time I didn’t risk heading into the back streets.

My heart felt light with the knowledge that magic was possible here, the fact that I could most likely make my way back home because of it. I just needed to figure out how. A loud horn shocked me out of my reverie, I looked up to see a taxi stopped to my side. The driver was mad and was shouting insults at me that I couldn’t hear through the thick glass.

I was stood in the middle of the road, in the process of crossing it while all other people watched at the sides in shock. I then felt a small hand take hold of my sleeve and pull me across the rest of the road. I looked down to see a small red headed girl, no more than seven years old, pulling me across the road to safety. As I noticed her, I registered two more sets of hands on my back. I tried to look over my shoulder, but whoever they were, they were too short.

The crowd parted as my little troop pushed me to the side of a building, and released me. The two from behind me let go and came around so I could see them, one had long flowing brown hair that was full and bouncy, set against very pale skin. The other’s hair was close cropped and scruffy, her skin was an olive tone. The red headed one began to speak.

“You ok mister?” I nodded at them and smiled, they reminded me of...something.
“Yeah, I guess I was a bit distracted.” I laughed half heartedly, and the girls all beamed up at me.
“Well I guess we’re glad you’re ok.” Said the olive skinned girl.
“Yeah! Who knows what would have happened if you stayed stood there!” Exclaimed the small bouncy haired girl. Her friends looked at her with dismay.
“He’d have been hit!” They said in unison. I realised who they reminded me of!

A flash of pain shot through my skull, my vision seemed to flash with white for a moment before it settled. I cried out in pain and clutched my head. As I looked at the three girls, their faces swam out of focus and were replaced by the faces of three little filly’s. The cutiemark crusades now stood before me smiling and giggling. I heard a shuffle from behind me, I turned to see Spike backing away slowly.
“Hey! What do you think you’re doing?” I turned back to the filly’s who all held a strip of rope by their forelegs.
“Cutiemark crusader’s DRAGON RIDERS!”

I heard hurried high healed footsteps, “Girls! Get away from that man!” The vision snapped out of existence and so did the pain. I lowered my hands timidly and looked up to see a mother shooing away her three children from what must have seemed like a raving lunatic.

I didn’t care about the eyes that stared at me from every passer by, my mind was a million miles away. What was that? It hadn’t been a memory! I’d never seen that event in my life, so that meant either my mind was unravelling... or I had just fazed back into Equestria for a moment! My right hand began to itch slightly, I looked down at the blank flesh. Was that itch a coincidence? Or was it something else?

My finger tips began to tingle strangely. I looked at them, they seemed to appear normal so why did they feel so...hot? I stretched them out for a moment, relieving some of the tingling sensation momentarily. But when I relaxed them the sensation came back again. I stared as my fingers seemed to act on their own, my right middle finger and my thumb approached each other slowly. They met, and began to push against each other. Suddenly the finger slipped and slammed down into my hand with an almighty SNAP!

Close by there was a multi-storey car park, and through the columns that made up its walls I saw a car. It’s lights bust on, and its alarm began to sound loudly! The car next to it did the same only a second later. And the car after that. The effect rippled across the ground floor of the car park, making a huge racket in the process. My jaw was hanging open now as I stared back at my fingers, who merely hung there on my hand innocently.

Panicking now, I forced my hands into my pockets and rushed away. What the hell just happened? That was magic! But on a scale I’d never used it before! I know my magic had been unique in Equestria, I had the ability to make a car almost drive itself, and to activate any function inside it without hitting a switch. But that was... unbelievable! I had set off the alarm function of well over one hundred cars with a snap of my fingers and without thinking.

I shook my head to clear it from such stupid problems. It didn’t help me get back to Equestria, so it could wait until later. Equestria...Had I actually just nearly made it back? How? I hadn’t been thinking about home, In fact at that moment I was sure my heart hadn’t even “Desired” to go, because it was distracted by the three little girls. I had seen Spike! That little dragon I had grown so fond of. Actually, he wasn’t that LITTLE anymore. He had definitely been around the height of my shoulder, so that wasn’t MY Equestria. Had it been a vision of the future? Celestia was rumoured to be able to see future events, so it wasn’t unheard of at least!

CELESTIA! When I had wanted to return to earth so long ago, I had yelled her name and she had arrived. She had shown all sorts of knowledge between our worlds. She knew the reason I couldn’t return to earth back then, and with her power she could probably pop in and out of dimensions in a blink of an eye! She’d know! I just had to find a quiet place to call her, I was so close now I couldn’t risk being caught by people thinking I’m insane now!

I’m coming Dash! Tom’s coming home!