• Published 7th Mar 2012
  • 2,681 Views, 154 Comments

Is this how it ends? - Slick Dash



The third and final instalment of my Rainbow/Tom series...

  • ...
6
 154
 2,681

Jeez you got big!

“Yoh Twilight ‘sup? Look I’ve got a date with Rarity tonight so I was wonderi- Oh...” The deep voice came from the main entrance to the library followed by the sound of a shutting door, it was familiar. I pulled myself away from Twilight and turned to see him.
“Hey Spike...” the dragon was taller, he wasn’t becoming wider like most of the dragons in Twilights books. He obviously wasn’t hording anything, so that meant he simply grew taller. He resembled a snake with limbs except he was perfectly level with my height, wow dragons grow fast once out of being a baby! In fact, his body shape reminded me terribly of...Discord.

The gangly lizard stared at me for a moment, and then looked down to Twilight sat on the floor in tears. Of course he feared the worst! With speed unbelievably similar to a snake, he dropped to the floor, skimmed across the ground and jumped straight into me. Though thin, he was strong and he had me pinned to the floor in a manner of seconds.

“I KNEW IT! DISC”-
“SPIKE STOP!” Twilight yelled, the dragon froze. His clawed hand was halfway in the air about to strike. He looked up to his sister, and frowned.
“B-but it’s Discord... why would you?...” he looked back down at me. I smiled up at him nervously, and tried to laugh off the awkwardness.
“Sorry bud, just me. Jeez you got big quick!” he frowned at me.
“...But...” His gaze shot back up to the magenta unicorn standing over us. She smiled serenely and nodded, silently telling him it was really me.

He looked at me one last time, and I let loose with another joke. Realising I was fast becoming my old Equestrian self the longer I stayed with people who believed me. “Look, I know you used to jump on my back and ride around, but its kinda hard now with you being this big...” I glanced down at the three limbs still pinning me to the ground and then looked back at the dragon.

With a startled “Oh my gosh!” He jumped off of me and helped me to my feet. “IT REALLY IS YOU!” He boomed happily, he pulled me into a hug which was terrifying for me because I hadn’t hugged someone my own height for over a... two... years.

Spike laughed giddily, sounding momentarily like his younger self. “I can’t believe this! I’d heard about something weird going on in the town centre, and then something involving Big Macintosh just outside, but I’d never have guessed... HAHAHAAAA!” He grabbed my arms and physically lifted me up into the air and spun on the spot. I let out a loud laugh as I was taken completely by surprise, I could hear Twilights happy giggling over Spike’s incessant rambling. “You look exactly the same! Wait is that Rarity’s coat? Oh my gosh it looks just the same! She’ll be so happy to see you! We’ve gotta go now!” he let me down and rushed to the door.

Before the dragon could grab the handle however I shouted him back forcefully. “NO! SPIKE GET BACK HERE!” The dragon showed genuine shock at my sudden anger. Out of surprise than actual fear he came back to stand before me. I looked directly into his green eyes, staring him down. “Now...” I began furiously, “...What’s this I hear about a date with Rarity?” I burst out laughing at the sudden mixed look of relief and blushing on the dragon’s face.

.............................

It was like old times, the three of us together again. Reunited after what had been a year for them, I didn’t bother telling them it had only been a day for me. What was the point in upsetting them? Spike ran me through the details quickly: Around six months ago he had reached the end of his adolescent stage, for dragons it only lasted a long time if they horded a large amount of treasure. But due to Spikes kind and generous nature, he had gone through puberty mostly unscathed.

“Because of that, I’m basically an adult now!” He had said with much enthusiasm. It kind of hurt to know I hadn’t been here to see him become the ‘adult’ that sat before me now. I had always been fond of the little guy, and now it felt as though I’d missed out on a huge part of his life. Twilight finished the story, by explaining how about two months ago Spike had finally plucked up the courage to ask Rarity on a date, and she had said yes. The two had been steadily going on a date at least once every week over the last two months. So to everyone in Ponyville they were basically together.

“Twiliiiiiggghht! You need to quit saying that!” The dragon whimpered, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. I smiled at the young lover and thought to myself, was I like that when I had first been with Dash? I’d make a point to ask the ‘not so’ little dragon how he kept that feeling of butterfly’s whenever his loved one was mentioned. That was one of things that had made falling for Dash so wonderful.

I wanted to see her, but judging by the mixed results my return had brought me at the moment I decided it was best to see at least one other friend before Rainbow. If they believed it was me, like Twilight and Spike, then I think I’d be confident to face the pony I love again.

“SO!” I sprung out of the sofa’s many folds that I had spent so much time exploring in my life at the library. My sudden movement made both my friends jump. “What say you about going to meet this new ‘Spike loving’ Rarity?” I smiled at the groan the dragon made at my little jibe, and the three of us set out for the boutique

The market place outside had calmed down finally. The stall had seemed to have been moved, and Big Macintosh was nowhere to be seen. I was both glad and worried at the same time. He was no longer perusing me, but was he still marauding around Ponyville, or had he gone back to the farm? I kept a watchful eye out every street corner and opening, preparing to run if need be. But the walk was pleasant, and the three of us didn’t even encounter any ponies.

Though happy, the three of us were silent. A sudden memory popped into my head from what I had seen back on earth, I turned around so I was walking backwards and facing my two friends. “So Spike, were any of the crusader’s talents dragon riding?” I winked at him as he frowned at me for a moment,
“Dragon ridi- OH JEEZ! That? Wow, that was like last week or something. Nah they never got anywhere near me with those ropes!” He laughed for a moment then stopped in his tracks. “How did you know about that?” I smiled, and beckoned him to keep walking. I explained my visions to him, Twilight listened in and nodded understandably as I reached the point of my vision about her.

“I saw him.” She said to her assistant, Spike looked shocked at his big sister.
“When? You would have told me if you had!” Twilight smiled,
“True, but you only just got back from Rarity’s about an hour ago after your ‘Dinner date’ so I wasn’t able to tell you what I saw this morning.” I raised an eyebrow at the dragon. He blushed a deeper shade of purple and muttered something like:
“Not the way she’s making it sound.” He then scratched his head in thought. “But, that vision of me sounded like it was about an hour before your vision of Twi, so why where you seeing something from last week in one hour, then something from the present in the next?”

Twilight answered, I was glad because I had no idea what to say. “Time, probably runs slower in his world.” Spike let out an understanding “Ooooh.” But Twilight then focused on me. “You haven’t told us something, I’m not mad but we deserve to hear it.” Wow, she was still as sharp as ever! Spike also stared at me as I took a breath and spoke.
“It...hasn’t been a year away for me.” Spike’s eyebrows were now the ones to rise. “More like a day and a bit...” Twilight let out a thoughtful
“Hmmmm, judging by that description and the time between your visions, I’d estimate that we experience around ten days in this world for every hour in your world.”

Casting my mind back I thought. She was probably right. I’d spent an hour rushing around that field when I first woke up, probably more. A few hours to get to the city, another hour wandering about, being attacked, being rescued. Passing out. That was where all the time had gone! I had no clue how long I had been out for! A few more hours wandering about. Then the vision had struck about the crusaders and Spike, then just under an hour passed and then I saw Twi... Wow, a ratio of ten days to every hour, that was soul crushing!

The dragon saw my sad expression, and gave a disappointed look at his –now much shorter than he- sister. He then threw on a big smile, and said cheerfully. “Well you came back as soon as you possibly could! That’s gonna mean the world to everypony!” I smiled, and finally turned back to walk normally again. I didn’t want them to see my face, what if they asked about how I had gotten back? Would they believe I simply willed myself back home? I’d stopped the story before Discord arrived. The still unknown events that had taken place had obviously left their marks on my friends judging by how much they hated me when they thought I was him.

Would they forgive me for keeping such a secret from them? Would they even ask amidst their joy of having me home? I didn’t know. We rounded a corner, and there stood the little boutique, as cute as always. I smiled at the site of a dazzlingly white pony in the window, her back was turned and she was concentrating on something at her desk. Spike bolted in front of us, he smiled to us both and bent in close to us.

“I have an Idea” he whispered deviously.