• Published 7th Mar 2012
  • 2,681 Views, 154 Comments

Is this how it ends? - Slick Dash



The third and final instalment of my Rainbow/Tom series...

  • ...
6
 154
 2,681

was it a drunken fantasy?

My hand, the one which bore the symbol of my talent and passion, was blank. No rainbow mark spread across the back, and no wheel followed by a trail of fire gleamed at me. All there was, was blank cream skin. If it wasn’t for the coat that I still clung to, you could have said it had all been a dream. Equestria, Celestia...Dash, all of it! My mind raced at a million miles an hour and all I could do was watch as small glimpses of the last year of my life were all cast into doubt.

Sweet Apple Acres, the library, Sugar Cube Corner... Mine and Dash’s house. Who was to say that it hadn’t all just been some drunken fantasy! No. Even without my precious coat I would know it had all been true, my imagination wasn’t grand enough to create that beautiful world filled with wonder! The world where my friends now waited for me. But as I thought of the group of ponies, a slight nagging sensation passed through the back of my mind.

Were they waiting for me? My head explodes with pain, I fall back to the ground drenching my knees in even more mud! My eyes are squeezed shut, but something is forcing them open! Something is trying to make me see! I give in, and my lids snap open. Rainbow Dash looks down on me miserably, tears not far from her eyes the wall behind her is white, sterile and cold. The pain subsided, and as it did, so did the vision of my love.

I finally remembered where I had been before I fell asleep. I had been in hospital, in Equestria. There had been an accident in the car and I had been banged up pretty badly. I remembered being scared. The fear of imminent death had made me lunge forward and kiss my darling Rainbow Dash one last time before I passed away. On that night... I had died. So how was I breathing? I could even swear I heard the sound of a heart monitor flat lining in the back of my mind.

I checked my watch, ten in the morning. The accident had happened around midnight, and then something like two or three hours in the hospital, or at least that’s how it had felt. So I’d been ‘dead’ for just over six hours. Was this heaven? NO! More like hell for me! Heaven would be with Rainbow and all my friends, after the brightness and happiness of Equestria this world looked cold, grey and heartless.

I slowly brought myself back to my feet. My head swam terribly from the pain I’d suffered only moments ago. I steadied myself and began to walk across the field before me, away from the roads and the city. I headed towards the wilderness, I could see lines of tree’s in the distance. If I walked towards the harmony of nature maybe I could find my way back to Equestria.

What was it Celestia had said all those months ago?
“You went there, and heard the sounds of your home. You could have gone then, if your heart had truly wished it. But you still stand here in Equestria, which means your heart didn’t wish to leave.” I was amazed with how vivid the memory was in my dazed and tired state of mind. Heart... If being in Equestria or earth was a matter of what the heart wanted, than surely I could just walk straight into Equestria. Earth held no ties for me anymore, not while I knew the pony I loved was so far away from me.

My walk broke out into a jog, I clenched my eyes shut and thought only of Rainbow Dash. My jog became a sprint, and I whispered her name, more out of instinct than conscious choice. “Rainbow!” I opened my eyes, and saw a tree headed straight for my face. I turned sharply, barely missing its barbed branches.

I skidded to a halt, I was in a forest! I let out a triumphant yell! I was back in Equestria! It was THAT simple, just run and wish it with all your heart! I smiled and twirled on the spot absorbing the sights, then I saw daylight from the direction I had come from. I ten noticed the absence of birds chirping and little creatures darting around the forest, I saw my own muddy footprints headed out across a field. In the distance I could see a boggy patch of mud. I hadn’t gotten to Equestria, I had only reached the tree line at the end of the field.

I sighed, my chest was tight with so much work from so little food in my stomach. Tiredness and fear set in. What if I couldn’t get back? How had I EXACTLY gotten there the first time? Did I need a car to get there like before? Hopelessness set in slowly, but I didn’t let it take me completely yet! What was that city? It looked as though it was the middle of the day, so it would be busy. I could find some food, get some rest in a dark corner of a back alley. Then I could figure out my next move. Or I could stay out in the wild and hope for some sort of miracle.

I hated the idea of returning to human civilisation, but I had to. I needed to eat, or I would starve! And so with a heavy heart, I headed back to the world of my old life. The life I had left behind over a year ago when I had first set eyes on that beautiful Pegasus, and realised I was in love.

It took a few hours to reach the centre of the city, it was horribly loud and noisy! Each car blasted its horn every five minutes, the people shouted and talked far too loudly and people all looked angry. Had earth changed since I had been gone? Or was it just that my perception had changed? Equestria was a beautifully quite and tranquil place even in the cities, and after seeing that life and comparing it to this one. Well, I knew which one I preferred.