• Published 23rd Oct 2013
  • 34,990 Views, 1,983 Comments

Diary of a Store Clerk - GnollReader



Living in Equestria under a false name and racial identity is one thing. Finding out you're not the only one of your kind stranded here is another... especially when that someone and the element bearers are looking for you.

  • ...
68
 1,983
 34,990

Chapter 12: Simple necessities

"Luna," I spoke evenly and quietly as I continued to furiously rub my temples while Luna fidgeted next to me. "What is this?"

"It's... a bathroom?" Luna answered with a weak smile.

"It's a big bathroom!" Silver Blossom commented next to me with a big grin.

"Bathrooms don't have pools in them," I replied with a groan. "And royal seals for that matter..." I turned to Luna. "Where's my bathroom?"

"Your old bathroom," Luna spoke with obvious nervousness. "It was a bit..." she seemed to have trouble finding the correct word.

"Small?" Silver Blossom offered with a weak smile.

"My old bathroom wasn't small, it was functional." I replied with a sigh and noticed something for the first time. "How does all of this even fit inside my house? The whole place is bigger than my entire upper floor!"

Fun fact number twenty three; my original bathroom has an area of six square meters. It has a shower, a toilet, a sink and a mirror. I like to think about it as being 'normal', or probably adequate, or something along those lines. Whatever one would call it, I- I'm going to stop writing about this now. Probably shouldn't even be a fun fact for that matter. Instead, fun fact number twenty three; never let an alicorn princess remodel your personal space. The amount of pink is unbearable.

"Well," Luna shifted slightly before putting on what could only be a proud smile. "It's magic. It's a special spell that reshapes the space inside the room so that-"

"Alright, alright," I held up a hand to interrupt her. "I get it. Alicorn magic... So why did you change it again? I was perfectly fine with the old one."

"Yes. But," that awful combination of two simple words still makes me shiver. "How do I put this?" Luna seemed to think for a moment. "Aside from the fact that I could hardly fit inside the shower-"

"She got stuck in there for minutes!" Silver Blossom whispered to me with a giggle and made Luna's face sag.

"Aside from that," Luna continued slightly less enthusiastic. "There wasn't a bathtub..." she saw my frown. "And I really enjoy baths?"

At this point I was back to rubbing my temples. "So you're really going to stay here, aren't you?"

Princess Luna seemed surprised at this question. "Well yes, of course. How else would I keep a watch over your safety?"

"Mhm Mhm..." I mumbled with eyes clenched shut and still rubbing my temples, doing my best not to remind her that all of what had happened had been caused by her and her sister's presence alone. I imagined that it was probably already too late to do anything about it at this point. It was most likely that I was lost the moment I first met them anyway.

I finally broke out of my attempt at a stress-relief meditation. "So where is my bathroom?"

"It's still there," Luna replied with a confused face. "But why would you want it? This bath is much nicer and everything you could ask for," she gave me a small smile. "There is even enough space for all of us to take a bath together. Isn't that much nicer?"

I'm pretty sure that some would have jumped at an opportunity to have a private bath with an alicorn princess. Me? I just felt really, really weird at the prospect. "One; this bath does not have everything I need. All of my hygiene products an accessories are custom made and I need them to look appropriate..."

Fun fact number eleven; try to get a decent razor in Equestria. I dare you. Custom imports from the griffon kingdom are expensive, take massive time and you still have to explain to customs that it isn't a weapon. I shaved with a kitchen knife and a pair of scissors for the first year.

"And two; remember what I told you about the nudity thing?"

Luna gave me a slightly befuddled look. "That counts for baths as well?"

"It does," I replied with a dead-serious face. "Aside from the fact that it would feel incredibly weird to get in a bath with two people I've only known for a day."

"I wouldn't mind," Silver Blossom spoke up with a big blush while looking down to inspect her own two feet. "I promise I wouldn't peek."

I only shook my head with a quiet sigh before turning back to Luna. "So please, can I now enter my bathroom?"

Princess Luna seemed slightly disappointed at my lacking enthusiasm, but she nodded nonetheless. "Close the door," I pulled it shut. "Now, stand back a bit," I took a big step backwards and watched her horn flare up with magic, the noise accompanying her channeling echoing through the corridor.

"There," she nodded and stepped back from the door. "You can now enter your old bathroom again... though you are still welcome to use the other one whenever you wish to."

"I'll keep it in mind," I replied and opened the door, a happy sigh escaping me as my little safe place of normality greeted me. It almost felt like meeting an old friend.


Five minutes. Even after five minutes they were still staring at me with absolute confusion. From the moment I started to prepare the shaving foam to when I started applying it to my face they continued to stare at me in silence. Had I been smart I would have just closed the door, but living alone you tend to neglect such simple things.

"What is he doing?" Silver Blossom whispered before giggling. "He looks funny!"

"I'm not sure," Luna replied with fascination. "Maybe this is some sort of human ritual to-" she saw me pull out the razor and fascination went to obvious concern. "What is that?"

"It's a razor," I replied with an air of casualty and gave the blade a testing look. "I use it to shave off my beard."

"It looks sharp!" Silver Blossom noted with awe.

"Hold it right there," Luna finally seemed to understand what I was going to do, and she seemed very concerned at this point. "You're going to use that to cut the hair on your face?!"

"I am," I replied simply and flung the towel I was going to use over my shoulder.

"What if you cut yourself?" Next to Luna, I could see Silver Blossom grow pale at the idea.

"I only did that the first two times," I inspected my face in the mirror from all sides, deciding where to set the razor. "I never cut myself these days."

"Are you sure?" Luna asked, obviously not believing me. "What about just using magic? I'm sure I could help."

"Nope," I shook my head. "There are things a man needs to do himself. Now quiet, I need to concentrate."

Shaving in front of the two was the strangest thing I had ever done up to that point, ever. The moment I brought the razor up to my face I could actually hear them take a sharp inward breath, hold it, and finally release it again when I finished the first downward motion. This kept up during the entire phase of shaving my throat, each stroke accompanied by them holding their breath; especially when I reached the part under my adam's apple. Even the parts where I stroked off excess foam were followed with suspense.

At some point though, seeing as I was obviously not going to cut myself the tension seemed to leave them and I could finally fully concentrate on the task at hand. And just as I was busy shaving the last stubble off my cheek, the universe once again proved that it did not like me. Not in the slightest.

Fully captivated by my task, neither my two little voyeurs nor myself had noticed the door to the shop being opened. Neither had we heard the hoofsteps coming up the stairs; until a high-pitched voice broke through the silence.

"Good morning, everypony!"

Even back then I remembered that Rarity always had a flair for slightly dramatic entries. But it still came as a shock when she walked up to the door and greeted all of us with her sing-song voice at its best volume. I don't know if it startled the other two, but it certainly had an effect on me.

Startled by the sudden intrusion, I momentarily forgot about the razor on my face; and turned my head sharp to the side to see who had just entered my house.

Big mistake on my part.

Anyone who ever used a razor can pretty much tell you what happens when you do sideways motions while shaving.

Fun fact number six; unicorns, as well as alicorns and children raised by alicorns have a slight issue with seeing blood. The screaming panic that ensued lasted minutes. Not to mention that my shirt was ruined. As were my pants, my towel, and part of the rug in the corridor.

Author's Note:

Feeling slightly better today, so here's an update for all of you :)