• Published 17th Oct 2013
  • 485 Views, 11 Comments

A Night on the Moon - Nights Moon



a short story of a pony who spends his fair share of time on the moon.

  • ...
0
 11
 485

Night on the Moon

So this is what Princess Luna saw every day for 1000 years? I thought to myself as I gazed upon the spinning blue and green ball. "It's beautiful. "

My name is Underscore and I am a unicorn. My special talent is writing, you could have probably guessed by my name, and I am on the moon. The reason, because it was always a dream of mine to see what the Princess of the Night saw for a thousand years. The moment I figured out how to get here, I jumped on the opportunity.

It was worth it.

But let's get away from all this, I would rather not waste time telling of how I was able to come into my situation. Because the view of our small world is not the only site to see here.

As I turned around to face the endless, white home of our younger ruler, I was able to find out what she spent her time on all of the years of her imprisonment. The floor of her domain was covered with drawings of a thousand years.

You immediately recognized the older ones, as they portrayed the hatred of her sister for what she had done. Pictures of revenge, or on how it was not her fault. Punishments that she would in turn give to Princess Celestia. These were less realistic then the rest. Probably due to the fact that she was constantly drawing.

After about 500 meters of this, the drawings changed into ones of forgiveness, also a slight improvement in the detail was noted. They portrayed Luna doing tasks for her sister, or ways of other punishment. These were also larger than the ones by the nightmare. And they had less words and more ponies than the other.

Continuing my walk, I soon found myself wandering around, there was nothing to look at. No drawings, or signs of anything past actions of my favorite princess. But until I stopped and looked down at the direct floor under me, did I see the hoof prints. Upon further inspection, did I see that they were everywhere.

"She just simply walked around. " I spoke out loud.

And indeed it was true. She had simply walked, for who knows how long. I continued my lunar walk, I do not know how long I walked, but I only followed the prints. Some were more faded then others. And I had to stop and find a new path to walk along. Here and there were places where she had slept or taken a moment to rest. But there was no longer any creativity in the area. Only hoof steps.

I lost another path to a print that had been blown away, and when I looked up to find my next path, I was able to see a wonderful sight. It was a town, but not just any town. This was made completely out of the moon rocks. And it was amazing.

The detail that was put into it. Not only were there stores and houses, but she had also made pony models. Probably because by the time she started the process she was messed up from being alone for so long.

I remember passing by the faceless ponies. Wondering how much would change if she had one friend before everything went bad. She probably would have had all the anger and hatred go away. Maybe we would all appreciate the night a little more after some time.

I then realized that the town she had built was in fact the old Canterlot. The one she grew up in. And I knew that I was walking down her very own childhood. Every was in so much detail.

I decided to go into some of the shops, inside I found a few items that were not familiar with me. So I decided to let them be. But some I did know of. Things like pots, plates, food, and furniture. The most amazing thing that I saw was a flower. It's look was beautiful. And was the most detailed piece that I had seen so far. I went to touch it, but quickly withdrew my hoof, as I would have probably broken the delicately made beauty.

I left the shops and continued to trot down the streets, and in the distance I noticed a bigger building, which once I looked around, turned out to be the biggest. As soon as I noticed the mere size of it I knew that it was indeed the castle. My curiosity got the best of me, and I soon found myself wandering up to the front door.

Inside I found the great halls of a castle from over a thousand years in the past. All of the old tapestries and paintings were perfectly new. There was lwas artwork then the present canter lot castle. But the sight was amazing.

As I slowly went down the hallway, stopping myself whenever I came across something that stood out from the rest, I found my hooves hitting a grand staircase. I had never been up these stairs in the real castle, but had always wondered where they led. This would probably be the only chance that I would have to see what they would lead to, so I took the opetrinity at hoof and went up.

Once I was at the top, I was greeted with a smaller hallway. Thia one had doors open on each side. I trotted to the nearest one and peeked in. I swear that I heard my jaw hit the floor. Inside was a model of the princesses; they were much younger, fillies in fact, and depicted a scene of too sisters playing.

I gallope to the next room, and found a similar scene of the princesses playing. It was noticeable how they were both of different times, as size of the princesses was different. I continued on to the next rooms; all of which showed me scenes of their childhood. Some showed them asleep, or of times when Luna hurt herself and Celestia had helped her with motherly support, but all of which were filled with the love of two sisters. Each room holding the same two sisters who would soon fall into blind hatred for each other.

I then found myself at another staircase, this one smaller and spiraling. I followed it and it led to yet another hallway.
I went to the closest doorway to see what other family bond would be shown,the door was shut, so I opened it, but instead was greeted by a single princess. It was Luna, and she was crying. I quickly opened the next door, only to find two sisters who were yelling at each other. It was scary to see these two motionless statues. Luna was on her back legs. Celstia was still taller, and was looking down at her.

I left the room and ran down the hallway, trying to find a nicer scene. All that I could find was rooms filled with hatred. I ran to the last door and found Nightmare Moon and Celestia. I found the elder princess weilding the elements of harmony. This was when she was banished. I went over and sat down in the middle of it, almost as if I could stop the coming attack.
In the eyes of the corrupted princess I saw sadness and pain of many years, lacking the love that was shown in the hallway of her younger life. I turned to look at Celestia; her face showed pain, almost like she was killing her sister. It was a sad scene, both ponies were desperate for the love of each other, and both’s pain was caused by mistakes.

I walked to the balcony and looked out. I saw Equis, I could see Equestria. I was mesmerized by the sight. The blue and green ball was my home, and Luna had to see it everyday for a thousand years. It was saddening, but also amazing.

A bright flash behind me told me it was time to go. ‘Can’t stay here forever’ I thought to my self. As the princess of this land came to my side.

“So this is what you saw for a thousand years?” I said to her, looking over I saw that she too was looking at the ball of rock.

“Yes.” She said without looking away.

I looked back to my home.

“It’s beautiful.” I said to nopony but myself.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Prane for telling me about some of the mistakes I have made, and for the hint on the ending.

Thanks to Minimoog Voyager for the name.

Hope you enjoy this. And I plan on writing another story (which will be longer) with underscore as the main character.

Thanks for reading, bye.

Comments ( 11 )

My name is ___________ and I am a unicorn. My special talent is writing, you could have probably guessed by my name,

Wat:pinkiecrazy:

So what's his name. Or do we get to make it up.

it should be quick note:twilightsheepish:

Other than that, it's pretty good.

3361170 His name is Underscore, obviously :pinkiecrazy:

3361170 :facehoof::facehoof:
Sorry:twilightblush: I couldn't make up a good name for him at the time, must have forgotten to put one in.

I don't know what the name should be, so if anyone can post a good idea for it, I be very happy. Also I will put credit where credit is due.

3361175 :rainbowlaugh: omg my stomach hurts so much. Thanks for the laugh.

This is an interesting take and rather ironic about the sadness of Luna's banishment. Already its funny your name and the title are similar!
The story's pacing was good, abrupt end though to the chapter, not a bad thing of course. It will be interesting to see your journey, welcome to tartarus- i mean fim!:raritycry:

3361266 thank you very much for that. I also meant for the title to be the same.

Also, thanks for the follow/watch.

3361272
Looking onward to seeing your journey on the site! My it be a great one ha ha.

3361175 well that's his name now.

3361669 :rainbowlaugh: Right on! Glad I could both make you laugh and give your character a name!

I ran to the last door and found nightmare moon and celestial

Last time I checked their names were capitalized, and the elder one's was spelled Celestia, not celestial. :raritywink:

Also, although I liked the story as a whole, I'm finding the ending a bit anti-climactic. You're building a very nice and deep vision throughout the story, but when it comes to the last few lines Luna simply says "yep". I may be a bit nit-picky on this one, but for me it sounds like "yep, whatever" rather than a strong "Yes." filled with sadness. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

3382504 thanks for the insight. Will change. The celestial thing is because of my auto-correct as I am writing this on my phone. Also the yep will be changed.

Login or register to comment