• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 1,075 Views, 15 Comments

Shadow Flame (The Path of Burning Darkness) - Dranlu



A pony named Shadow Flame tells a story of his uprising against princess celestia

  • ...
2
 15
 1,075

Chapter 8: The Assault Begins

Shadow Flame

(A Path of Burning Darkness)

Chapter 8 - The Assault Begins



It was a pitch black night, the stars were blocked out by smoke and the moon could barely be seen. The brightest thing in the sky tonight was Shadow Flame's fiery wings slowly flapping in a rhythmic beat.

With his hoof pointed at the castle Shadow charged the magic in his horn and released a beam. The red beam shot towards the castle. At first it seemed to do nothing, but then a red haze formed around the castle. All was silent until a pop broke through the air. Then a ring of magical fire surrounded every inch of the castle, making escape impossible.

"The time is here," said Shadow, as he raised another hoof in the air. His horn started to glow again.

"Now it's going to rain FIRE!!"

Shadow then shot a huge blast of magic into the sky bursting through the smoke. Shortly after fireballs started falling around the castle, creating a hellish feel to the once peaceful place.

"Hahaha, I can't wait to see the look on your face Celestia!"

He slowly hovered closer to the castle with fireballs falling all around him. After a short time of flying he saw her. He saw Celestia in the middle of the courtyard surrounded by guards. Shadow moved quickly, flying towards the castles courtyard and hitting the ground with a crash. The crash was strong enough to shake the ground and cause a couple guards to lose their footing and fall.

Shadow was now about 15 yards away from Princess Celestia herself! His eyes met hers and he could feel his blood boiling.

"Do You Know who I am?!" yelled Shadow.

Princess Celestia was about to reply when a guard yelled,

"She doesn't need to answer you knave!"

Shadow looked at the guards, they were starting to charge towards him.

"A foolish mistake you've made interrupting me."

Shadow's horn glowed and a wall of fire consumed a few of the guards, burning them instantly and melting their armor into molten puddles of metal on the ground. The remaining guards backed off in a defensive position.

"And now so that you other useless guards don't get in the way..."

Shadow's horn began to glow again as the remainder of the guards surrounding Celestia began to choke and cough as smoke bellowed out of their mouths. They fell one by one gasping for air.

"What have you done to them!?" questioned Celestia.

"I burned out their lungs, but you should be more concerned with what I'm going to do to you….princess."

Shadow's horn glowed brighter than ever and his eyes were now producing a red illumination.

"Don't move princess or you might get burnt."

"Wait what are yo-"

Celestia's sentence was cut off as a barrier of flame surrounded her, inches from her flesh. She was helpless, she couldn't move or the fire would burn her to the bone. Celestia was shocked, she couldn't believe how fast everything had just happened. But she managed to pull herself together enough to say,

"I know who you are… you are that pony Luna rescued from the forest. I know I've seen you around the castle, yet you never said a word to me. Even when I tried to say hello to you, I always figured you wanted to be left alone…. Why are you causing all this damage to my castle and all of Equestria may I ask?"

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME CELESTIA!" Shadow erupted with Rage. "You should know exactly why I'm doing this!"

"Well I'm sorry young one, but I don't! Could you please fill me in to why you're doing this? Perhaps we can work this out."

"Never!" Shouted Shadow, "I can never forget what you've done! Do you Even Remember?! You're the one who-"

Shadow stopped as he sensed a magical presence building behind him. He turned to see the flash of a teleportation spell, and there standing nearby, was Twilight and her friends.

"Well look at this, all of my best friends are here."

Shadows eyes shifted to Twilight,

"And Twilight remember....I promised you a night you would never forget…well I don't think you will ever forget the night you see your beloved princess fall by my hoof."

"Shadow stop! The princess did nothing wrong, she's innocent! You can't do this!" yelled Twilight.

"She's innocent you say? Okay, apparently I'm the only one here who knows about what happened 1000 years ago!" He looked at Celestia with an evil glare.

"Let me tell all of you what I've come to learn, 1000 years ago my parents, head of the Flame family were alive and well. They were two unicorns of unrivaled power. I know for a fact that Celestia didn't like them, being a royal family of canterlot they often argued with the princess. My parents specialized in defensive and offensive magic making them noble warriors….until one day Celestia decided that their magic could be a threat to her throne and she deemed them threats and killed them in cold blood!"

Twilight and the others mouths were all open, shocked, not knowing what to make of what Shadow just explained. Celestia herself was even shocked….Flame family…… she thought to herself……

"Shadow Flame……I can't believe this whole time you've been living under my nose….and I didn't even have enough common sense to know…." Celestia paused with an incredibly sad look on her face.

"Shadow... do you really know what happened a thousand years ago? I've never told the story to anypony, but I think you need to know."

"I already know, you murderer!" shouted Shadow. "I just explained it!"

He put his hoof down and channeled a flow of magic into it. The magic sparked and focused into the shape of long sword, but instead of metal the sword was made of a hissing blue flame. Shadow started running towards Celestia with the blade raised.

"This was so easy Celestia, you should've seen it coming!"

Shadow jumped with the blade pointing directly at Celestia's heart. A loud crack was heard and Shadow unfocused his attack to see a white bolt of lightning arcing directly towards him. He quickly summoned his wings to try and interrupt his jump towards Celestia and dodge the bolt of lightning, but it was too late. The bolt ripped clean through his left leg, leaving a softball-sized hole that started bleeding profusely.

"AAARRGGHHHH!" cried Shadow in pain as he grabbed his leg, "Who the hell did this…!?"

He looked to the far right to see an all-black armored alicorn, Her horn was arcing with electricity.

"Arghh! Who are you, you monster of an alicorn!" Shadow screamed through the pain. He propped himself up with his other leg, blood was starting to pool around him. The mare looked at him and said,

"Well everypony here knows me by the name Nightmare Moon…except you, you know me better as Princess Luna... my dear.

Shadow eyes widened, "No! You aren't my princess Luna! She is kind and loving, you are some sort of monster!"

"Yes, I am a monster the monster inside Luna. I was waiting for the perfect time to attack...these last few years were grueling...me having to pretend i was that good for nothing Luna! The princess thought she destroyed me with the elements of harmony, but she was wrong! There is only one thing that can truly destroy me and save Luna, and that source was eliminated 1000 years ago!"

"What are you talk-Argh!" Shadows leg was in great pain the most pain he had ever felt, "What are you talking about 1000 years ago?"

"You are such a gullible little pony Shadow, you know that? Hahaha I do suppose I could tell you the pieces of the story you are missing before you die." Laughed Nightmare Moon

"Missing pieces? What don't I already know?" asked Shadow as he was forming a tourniquet for his leg.

Nightmare Moon laughed, "You don't know what really happened, nopony does except for me and Princess Celestia little pony, Now listen to what me and my…."Sister" are going to say because you are going to have a whole new perspective on this situation!"

"I'm listening," said Shadow, controlling the rage in his voice

"Enlighten me with your story…."