• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 1,075 Views, 15 Comments

Shadow Flame (The Path of Burning Darkness) - Dranlu



A pony named Shadow Flame tells a story of his uprising against princess celestia

  • ...
2
 15
 1,075

Chapter 4: A Spark of Life

Shadow Flame

(A path of Burning Darkness)

Chapter 4: A Spark of Life

It was early in the morning and Twilight suddenly awoke out of a dead sleep. "Wow that was a pretty big storm last night. I sure hope everypony is ok, I better go check around" She got out of bed, brushed her hair, and headed for the door. She then remembered Spike was sound asleep. She wrote him a quick note, letting him know that she would be gone for a short time to check on her friends. She tucked the note into his bed, and then went for the door. Just as she opened it she was met by Rainbow Dash and Applejack.

"Oh! Hey girls, I was just coming to check on you guys about the storm last night. Is everypony ok?"

"As of now yes," said Rainbow, "Fluttershy is at home tending to the animals. She said they all reacted to the storm strangely. And rarity refused to come outside until the town started to dry up, you know her."

"Wow," said Twilight, "You pegasi sure outdid yourself with this storm."

"Wait what?," said Rainbow, "We didn't do this. That's why I came to ask you if you did this with one of your spells. We weren't scheduled to make it rain, let alone storm last night."

"Yeah," said Applejack, "This storm did a number on the farm. It knocked a couple trees over and almost blew over the barn!"

"Oh I'm sorry to hear that, but no. I didn't have anything to do with this storm. I don't know any weather conjuring spells ….Well I wonder if Pinkie's Pinkie sense knew the storm was coming." The three looked at each other. "Wait where is she?"

"Uh oh," said Applejack, "She said somthin about traveling to Canterlot to get some enchanted ingredients for a special cake.I hope the train made it through the storm ok. Last time there was a storm this strong part of the bridge broke off."

"Yeah the train usually only makes one trip from Canterlot everyday and it's usually in the morning, it probably left about 30 minuets ago." said Rainbow

"We better go find out.. Gather up, I can use a group teleportation spell."

The three grouped up and held hooves. Twilight began charging the spell. "Ok," she thought to herself, "halfway between here and there is the bridge over a big river. I'll teleport just in front of that." A purple flash was emitted from her horn, and poof! They were in front of the bridge.

"Oh no," yelled Twilight, "There's a big piece of it missing right in the middle!"

"Quick," yelled Applejack, "Get some sticks Rainbow! We have to try and fix this before the train gets here!"

Twilight had to think quickly, "I'll use my magic to fashion some rope out of the grass and-"

The noise of a trains engine was slowly heard coming up the hill.

"Oh no," screamed Twilight, "Hurry girls!"

It was too late. All that was in place of the missing part of the bridge were two sticks with a thin layer of rope holding them together. The train came barreling toward it
"I can't watch," said Twilight as she began to cry while hugging Rainbow and Applejack.

They could do nothing now except watch the train containing their friend fall to it's destruction. The train hit the missing part of the bridge, and started barreling toward the river. Just before the train hit the water, Twilight's heart skipped a beat. She felt dead inside thinking of how scared Pinkie must be. A giant splash was made the instant the train hit the water, and it went under quickly. Twilight and her friends were all in full blown tears now.

"Why! It should have been me, said Twilight as she collapsed on the ground, "Why did this have to happen? Pinkie was always so happy, and full of energy. Now she's gone. She's gon-"
Twilight was cut off by the loud sound of steam being created, an almost whistling explosion. She looked down, and would never forget what she saw. She saw a giant full-fledged phoenix made of pure fire rise out of the water and fly clear into the air. It landed on the other side of the track and then began to slowly fade away. The Train was surrounded by the fire of the flame phoenix and as it faded away the train was gently placed on the track. The door opened, and water flooded out. Then the pink mare came rolling out coughing slightly.

"I'm alive, she yelled, "yay! I'm alive!" She looked around, and then caught a glimpse of her friends.
"Oh my gosh guys, did you see that! That was the most amazingist amazing thing ever! We were about to drown, and boom! We were covered in shiny fire, and flew into the air!"

Still sobbing slightly, Twilight asked, "Pinkie I don't even know how to explain what happened. How are you alive, what just happened?"

"Oh! That was Sha.. Oh my gosh I didn't even check to see if he's ok!"

"Wait there were more ponies in there with you?!," yelled Applejack.

"Quick let's go check," yelled rainbow. The four ran toward the train. The first in was Pinkie, then Twilight and Rainbow, followed by Applejack. There they found Shadow lying on the floor motionless. His horn was glowing faintly.

"Oh my gosh! I met him last night before I teleported back to Ponyville!" yelled Twilight
"He saved me Twilight! Without him I wouldn't be here right now," said pinkie in a kind voice.

"Quick, yelled Applejack, "we need to do something before we lose him! Check for a pulse Rainbow."

"Ok," she said putting her hoof on his neck, "It's faint, but there's one there."
Just then Shadow faintly coughed, water flew forward.

"His lungs are full of water," said Twilight, "…… I'll give him CPR."

Twilight began doing CPR maneuvers on him. He would spit water out and then cough, but wouldn't catch his breath.

"His pulse is fading!," yelled Rainbow.

"He's getting really cold," said AJ.

Twilight started to panic. She stood up and said, "Stand back girls. This is risky, but I have to do it."

She started to charge a stream of electricity into her horn, then she knelt over him and touched her horn to his, shocking him. Just as she did this, Shadow flung upright. He started coughing, this time catching his breath. The first thing he saw was Twilight's face inches from his own.

"Did we make it Pinkie?" he asked. Then he fell backwards and was out cold.

"We have to get him back to my house," said Twilight, "We owe him a lot, girls. He saved Pinkie's life, and now it's our turn to save his."


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Shadow was dreaming now. He was surrounded by darkness, growing colder and colder. Just as the cold was about to overtake him a small fire started next to him. It was burning an odd color, purple and pink.

"Huh," said Shadow shivering, "I-I've never seen a fire of this color before. It's burning calmly…. not raging and destructive."

It was the most beautiful fire he had ever seen. Just as he was about to get close to it he was awoken by a loud gasp. His eyes shot open to see pinkie pie inches from his face.

"He's awake girls, he's awake!"

The four surrounded him as he looked around. His vision was still a bit hazy.
"….Pinkie?" he said, "I did it. I told you we wouldn't have to worry."

"Well yeah silly. You saved me but you forgot about yourself, you almost died!"

"Yeah," said Shadow, "I only had time to shield you. I don't know how I'm alive right now exactly."

"You can thank Twilight for that silly!"

"Wait?! Twilight Sparkle! She saved me?" His eyes perked up and his vision cleared. He noticed her at the foot of the bed blushing slightly.

"Wow," he said, "Thank you Twilight. I owe you my life, who would've thought that I'd run into you the day before our 'study date.'

She blushed as the other three mares looked at her and began to grin.

"Well I think I best be going girls, I gotta tend to the farm," said AJ.

"And I should get back to sugarcube corner, I got a lot of baking to do!" added Pinkie.

"Yeah I best be off too," said Rainbow," I have to help clean up the mess this storm made."

The three left giggling and talking about Twilight's face when she saw Shadow say her name.

"That spell you used to save Pinkie, what was it? It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen." asked Twilight.

"I used a conjure spell to conjure the image of a phoenix. Then I used my magic to ignite a constant stream of flame around it, protecting us by turning the water to steam so the pressure wouldn't hurt us. Then I used all of my strength to shoot a flamethrower to rocket us out of there, but it took longer than I thought. The train was already full of water so I held my breath, shielded Pinkie, and then all went dark until I woke up to the image of you standing over me. Thank you for saving me Twilight. I'll be sure to teach you all of my magical secrets now, but please ……let me rest a bit."

"Of course," she said, "take your time and regain your strength. If you need me I'll be in the library."

"Alright, I'll keep that in mind," he said as he laid his head down and went into thought.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"You made a mistake in saving me girls, by saving me you've doomed Equestria….They believe anything I tell them! "Ionly had time to shield pinkie ha!". I had time to shield her, myself, the conductor, and the old colt, but I didn't choose to. Those other two ponies were useless and got to be my test subjects. I only wish I could've seared their flesh a little more before the current washed them away. Humph, next time I should focus on my own shield more instead of burning my targets. I wouldn't end up in such a mess like this. At least now I have faces to the names Rainbow dash, and Applejack. Today information was gathered, and tomorrow ties will be burnt. Get ready Equestria, the catalyst to the fire is being spread…."