• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 1,074 Views, 15 Comments

Shadow Flame (The Path of Burning Darkness) - Dranlu



A pony named Shadow Flame tells a story of his uprising against princess celestia

  • ...
2
 15
 1,074

Chapter 1: An Ember to the Inferno

Shadow Flame

(A Path of Burning Darkness)

Chapter 1: An Ember to The Inferno

Hello, my name is Shadow Flame. I'm here to tell you about the horror of a place called Equestria. Most ponies think it's a land of friendship and harmony, but I can tell you it's actually a place of sorrow and deception. Because of my "traitorous" ways I've been punished, tossed aside, and forgotten. But, before I tell you the story of my uprising against Princess Celestia, you must know the story of my past....

I hardly knew my parents. All I can remember of them is that they both loved me very much. I was so young at the time that I can't even picture their faces. The last memory I have of my parents was of my father slowly crawling towards me with his horn glowing. Then a bright light followed by a trip through a bright wormlike tunnel of sorts. This all seemed insignificant until I knew the truth.

I never had any friends growing up and I began to feel like everypony completely ignored me. I didn't know why either...I didn't say anything to anyone and I kept to myself, was it my mane color? My eyes? I had no clue why everypony acted like I didn’t exist. I had to steal what food I could to survive, I didn’t have a choice. It turns out Canterlot didn't take kindly to street dwellers. I was often scolded or even beat for what I was doing. I didn’t know any better it was the only thing I could do to live. My life seemed like it was worthless and that nopony cared about me, that is until that one night. I was walking by the everfree forest searching for food when suddenly a wild mantacore tore out of the woods and attacked me. I would've died…if not for Princess Luna. She manipulated a lightning bolt to crash near me, the flash and the sound scared the creature off. I didn't know what to say, as nopony had ever committed such an act of kindness for me. So I just stood there shaking. Princess Luna saw the condition I was in and gasped. She was nice enough to take me home to the castle, and I lived there with her and "Princess" Celestia.

I took a liking to Luna. I never had to steal food again because she gave me a permanent home in the castle. Since I now lived in the castle I began to study magic and the history of Equestria. I had read many books on magic, and being a unicorn, I had a natural ability for it. The castle library had so many books.


After my reading on a vast amount of magic spells was complete, I found a book titled "The Dark Days of Equestria." I thought the book had an interesting title so I decided to read it. But what I was about to read forever changed me, and fueled the burning hatred and darkness in my soul.

From this book I learned of my past that had been missing from my memory... Who I am... And where I came from. The book told me of a royal family of unicorns that were unrivaled in the power of magic, especially in the art of combat magic and all magic pertaining to fire. Celestia herself began to fear that their magic could be used to overpower her for the throne. So she killed them in cold blood. There was a huge battle between them, but Celestia somehow managed to overpower them and slaughter the two heads of the family. She was about to finish the job off by killing their young son, but before she could, with the last bit of magic the two unicorns had left they opened a portal through time and flung their son into the future. They hoped he could stand a chance there and perhaps even get revenge for their meaningless murders. His name was Shadow Flame and little is known about what happened to him. The only thing that is known for sure is that he is bound to show up somewhere, alone, scared, and looking for answers.

I didn't want to believe it at first, but as I read on and on all the pieces began to fit. My mane color, why no pony would talk to me, my love of magic, and of course, the hatred building inside of me. One detail in the book sealed the deal, each member of the royal Flame family had a small fireball carved into the bottom of their horn. I have this mark on my horn. It can only be seen if I move my hair a certain way, which is good. I can conceal who I am if need be.

While reading on I felt my anger burning inside. That combined with all of my magical teachings awoke something in me that day. My horn started to glow with a red haze, and suddenly my room burst into flames.

Luckily for me, Princess Luna burst through the door and casted a water spell to put the fire out. When she asked what happened, I simply told her that I accidentally knocked over my lamp. She warned me to be more careful, and then continued her rule over the night.

It all made perfect sense, The mark of the Flame family on my horn, how I don't remember any of my youth, my talent for magic, the sudden burst of magical flames, and of course the new found hate boiling up inside of me.... I now know who I am... I AM SHADOW FLAME! When I drew this conclusion in my mind, I studied the family more and more. Princess Luna would see me reading about them and think nothing of it. She would just smile as she went on her way. So gullible.

I could feel my anger increasing the more I read, and then I felt a slight magical presence on my side. When I turned to check out what was happening, I saw my cutie mark. It had finally appeared! It was a fireball of vengeance. I knew then what I must do, gain the trust of all the ponies connected to princess Celestia. Then plot, plan, and scheme my revenge until I could get close enough to her. Then burn her and all of her minions alive and avenge the horrible murder of my parents.