• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 1,075 Views, 15 Comments

Shadow Flame (The Path of Burning Darkness) - Dranlu



A pony named Shadow Flame tells a story of his uprising against princess celestia

  • ...
2
 15
 1,075

Chapter 3: A Journey Away from Home

Shadow Flame

(A path of Burning Darkness)

Chapter 3: A Journey Away from Home



The sun began to rise in the morning. The rain from the night before began to slowly evaporate into the air, leaving the land with a fresh smell. Shadow had awoke to the sound of birds singing outside his window. He got up and thought to himself, "I should probably head over to Ponyville today to scope out the area, and gather precious information on the place. Maybe I can get more info on the elements of harmony too".

To do this Shadow would have to take a train to Ponyville. He had never been outside Canterlot before, so this would be a whole new experience to him. "I'd better tell Luna I'm heading to Ponyville," he thought to himself. So he proceeded to her chambers. After a short walk, he arrived there. He knocked on the door. It slowly creaked open revealing a dark chamber decorated by a mural of a moon and stars throughout the room. It seemed to glow, almost as if it was the actual moon and stars themselves.

"Excuse me my Princess," Shadow said as he bowed.

"Yes Shadow, what do you need of me in this hour?"

"Sorry for bothering you my princess, but I would like to share with you that I am going on a journey to Ponyville today."

"Why would you want to go to Ponyville Shadow?" asked Luna

"I feel I need to expand my horizons farther than Canterlot and....There's a mare involved milady."

"And who is the lucky mare may I ask?"

"Twilight Sparkle, she and I ar-"
Luna cut him off smiling more than he had ever seen before. "That's wonderful shadow she is my sisters pupil, and I know you two will be perfect for each other. Do you need anything for your journey?"

"Well if it's not much to ask, I could use some money for the train."

Luna nodded, and gave him a sack of bits.

"Thank you most wonderful of princesses," he said and then bowed again.

"Now go to her Shadow, and be sure to write to me about how it goes."

"Yes milady," he said as he turned and walked out of the room. The door quietly closing behind him. "She believed every word of it, my plans are coming together well," thought shadow.

As the door closed, Luna's smile remained as she began to giggle slightly.

"That silly little pony....," she said. Then she walked to her bed to start her day of sleep.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



The train station was unusually empty, but that was a good thing. The less ponies Shadow had to deal with the better.

"Hmm I hope nopony tries to make small talk or conversation with me. I don't feel the need to talk to any of these.... pawns,"

Shadows thought was almost interrupted by the sound of the train door clicking open. Shadow entered the train dropped two bits in the toll box and looked around. Only two other ponies were on the train besides the conductor, an old colt sound asleep with a newspaper over his head and some brightly colored pink mare in the middle row. Shadow began to make his way to the back of the train and sit. He walked by the mare.

"Hi!" she exclaimed energetically. She was almost loud enough to make Shadow jump he gave her a quick glare and then continued to his seat in the back. He sat down and began contemplating what he would do when he got to Ponyville. "I will walk around town a bit in search of some leads to learn more about the elements of harmony and... " He glanced up and saw the brightly colored mare making faces at him. "So annoying," he thought to himself and he went back into thought,
"Well I know the elements of harmony." He began to speak aloud quietly to himself.
"Let's see there's loyalty, generosity, kindness, honesty, magic, and...

"Laugher!" A loud squeaky voice said almost startling shadow.

"HI mister! My names Pinkie Pie and I'm the element of laughter!"

Shadows jaw dropped, "You're kidding me right?"

"Nope that my name mister, and laughter's my game! What's your name mister?"

"I'm"... he paused to think to himself. "I should get as much information out of her as I can, I cant believe I ran into the element of laughter here! "Shadow, my name is shadow. Pinkie it's... nice to meet you."

"So where are you headed Shadow?"

"I'm headed to ponyville how about you?"

"Me too!" she exclaimed, "I live there, and so do all of my friends."

"Really?" said shadow, "Tell me more about Ponyville, and of your friends."

"ok!" said Pinkie as the train started to take off.



During the ride Pinkie basically told the entire history, and story of Ponyville to Shadow. He was almost asleep from constantly hearing her voice go on and on. Then he perked up when she started talking about her friends.

"Well I'm friends with everyone in Ponyville. But my Bestest of best friends are Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight Sparkle."

"You know Twilight!" Shadow said loudly.

"Yeah she's the smartest unicorn in all of Pony-" her words were cut short by the noise of the trains alarm sounding.

"Oh no!" screamed Pinkie as she took cover. Shadow jumped to his feet and looked around, nothing seemed wrong…but the alarm was sounding so something bad must've been happening. He ran to the conductors door.

He opened the door and yelled, "What's wrong?!"

The trains conductor turned to him with a look of horror in his eyes and said, "The bridge ahead of us is damaged. The storm last night knocked part of the track off! and our brakes aren't working! There's nothing we can do!"

Shadow thought quickly. He knelt down, and began concentrating.

"We're done for," cried Pinkie, "we're all going to die!!!"

"No!" shouted shadow with his eyes and horn glowing a faint red, "I can-"

" It's too late! We're going down," screamed Pinkie. Just as Pinkie screamed, the train met the broken part of the bridge and started the long fall to the bottom.

"I.... I love all my friends, and wished I could see them one last time!" Pinkie cried, and started sobbing as the train was about to hit the river. Now she started a countdown.

" 3…2…1." counted pinkie. Shadows horn was sparking and crackling with magic now.

A loud explosion was heard, and the train was engulfed in flames as it hit the water...