• Published 6th Oct 2013
  • 507 Views, 2 Comments

Strife - DegeTheMighty



Melody's grades have been getting worse, and her mother won't stop harrassing her about it.

  • ...
0
 2
 507

Daddy To The Rescue

The lamp light seemed unusually bright that night. It gave whatever little warmth it could to the otherwise cold Spring evening. The park bench she lied on was cold to the touch, but still she hid there, under the light of the lamp as Luna's moon rose from the horizon. She feels the day's heat start to seep away from the earth.

Oh, poor Melody. She had done it again. Her grades were slipping, and her teacher made sure her parents were well informed. A few tongue lashings here, and few punishments there, only served to drag her further down into her despair. If only they had patience. If only they could wait for her to catch up. All Melody needed was time, and that was what they refused to give her.

Then again, she had plenty of it in the past. She had the entire school year to prove herself academically. Her parents were, in fact, being patient with her. Countless months she had to get her grades up. If she had put her mind to it, she could have been top of the class. She was far smarter than she was letting on, both her and her teacher knew that. So why didn't she?

Was it because she was lazy? Perhaps she didn't want to deal with the responsibility? Or, maybe, she was scared of what her parents would do if they found out just how sharp of a little filly she really is. A great grade on an important test might be all it took before she found herself enrolled in some advanced curriculum. Then she would set away to some prestigious university in some random city in Equestria. She would be far, far from her home and her friends. And her family. Having to study some random course in a field she wasn't even interested in. She didn't anything to do with that, but she could have at least used the time to get her grades up to an acceptable level.

But she wasted it. No, she had to go and have fun with her friends. Go out and find who she really is, to earn her cutie mark. Something that is apparently frowned upon. Her time would be much better spent with flying lessons with her mother. Time better spent locked away in a library, studying until her eyes hurt as the days just passed her by. She didn't want to end up like her aunt.

Melody was a pegasus, the very embodiment of freedom. Her mother was too, and yet she was the one who forced her into her studies. Heck, her unicorn father seemed to be more encouraging of her social life than anyone else.

The filly sighed. Perhaps she was being too harsh. It wasn't like she was asked to get straight A's for the rest of her life. They just wanted her to succeed, in their own way. Her parents, her mother mainly, had overreacted. Then again, maybe she did too. Maybe she shouldn't have yelled at them like that.

Maybe she shouldn't have run out the door.

“Melody!” Came a voice from the beyond the trees. It was deep and hoarse, obviously strained. It was buried in concern, and even fear. Not the disappointment and spite like she had anticipated.

She raised her head from the cold wood of the bench, her ears perked to the sky. Had she the energy, and the ability, she would have taken to the skies in order to find the source of the shout.

But, of course, she couldn't fly. Her mother hammered her for it, claiming that she wasn't trying hard enough. Of course, it had to do with the fact that her wings were smaller than most. Her mother wouldn't understand. She never did.

“Melody!” The shout demanded once more. It was starting to get on her nerves, but now she could actually see the stallion it belonged to.

It was her father, galloping frantically to and fro, trying to find her.

Melody lowered her head back down. He wasn't the last pony she wanted to talk to, but he was close to the top. She watched him in apathy, waiting for him to finally catch sight of her.

The stallion's head haphazardly turned towards her, his eyes locking on to hers. Even from that distance, she could see the terrified look in his eyes. All tension in his body visibly disappeared, as he trotted up to her in a much more relaxed pace.

Melody looked away as her father's words hit her ears, “There you are! You had us worried sick, Melody!” Again, only concern and worry laced his words.

She didn't respond, even as he sat himself directly in front of her. She tensed slightly as she felt his hooves rest softly upon her back. She cautiously looked up at him, afraid of seeing the countenance of disappointment

His white coat reflected in the lamp light, but she could easily see the amount of stress he carried. His blue mane, part of which she adopted, fell haphazardly across the side of his face. Mother always said he needed a mane cut.

However, Melody was too focused on his face, and the gentle smile he carried without effort. “Why did you run off like that?” He asked, slowly brushing his hoof across the top of her head.

Melody continued to remain silent, before a hoof raised her head. She stared directly into the eyes of her father, eyes so protective and loving. “Talk to me, sweetheart.”

Her head sunk slightly, as he drew his hoof back. “Why did mom have to yell like that?” The filly asked him.

Her father sighed, his next words slow and methodical, “She's just stressed, honey. Your grades aren't the only things that's been on her mind.”

Melody refused to believe that, letting out a heavy sigh. “But it's all she talks about anymore! She worries more about them than she does me.”

“Of course not,” Her father reassured. “She's just worried is all. Heh, probably worried you'll end up like me.”

The filly looked at him, confused. “Huh?”

He chuckled. “My grades were awful, Melody. You should have heard some of the tongue lashings I got from your grandmother. My report card had a giant F stamped onto it. But, I got my act together. You know why?”

Melody sighed, already knowing the answer. “Because you met mom, and she straightened you up. That doesn't make me feel any better...” She grumbled.

“Actually no,” he stated, “believe it or not, her grades were just as bad.”

Melody looked at him, her eyes as wide as saucers. “What?”

He couldn't be serious. Her mother was the shining example of perfection. She held herself as regal as any princess, and was just as beautiful. To imagine her struggling with school was baffling, rather funny even. Of course, it made her mother nothing more than a hypocrite. Her father's words only serve to anger her more.

He continued. “Our grades got worse and worse as time went on. We were too focused on each other to even think about school. That changed though." He took a deep breath. "When Nightmare Moon came back, she almost killed your mother. After that sobering moment, we straightened up. And a good thing too, otherwise I don't think I would have made it into the Royal Guard.”

Melody scoffed. “So you're saying I need a near-death experience to help motivate me?”

“No, what I'm saying is that your mother is speaking from experience, and doesn't want you to flunk like we almost did,” He said.

A soft silence moved in, before the stallion spoke up.

“So it's a problem with motivation, huh?” He asked her.

The filly sighed, figuring now would be a good time to express her worries. “Yeah. I just don't really see the point. If I do bad, like I am now, I get yelled at. If I do good, then I'll have so much more work to do. Knowing mom she'd send me to advanced schools or something. That would mean more work and responsibility, not mention I wouldn't have any time with my friends.”

Her father sighed. “You think she would really do that?”

“Yes, she would! All she cares about is school! ...And flying, for that matter! She always wants to go flying, even when I don't. Why can't I learn on my own!? It's really getting on my nerves!” The filly shouted.

Her father looked at her in concern. The relationship between Melody and her mother was more strained than he thought. “There's a reason for that.”

“What? Because I need to learn from her? Because its tradition?”

“No, because your mother never got the chance.”

“What chance?” She asked him.

“Did you know she was adopted?” He asked, brushing his hoof across her mane.

Mother, adopted? She had been an orphan? She never mentioned anything like that. What was it like? What was it like never to know who you're real parents were? Or that they just couldn't take care of you? She couldn't imagine what something like that would be like, but she was certain it would hurt. “She was?”

Her father nodded solemnly. “Yeah. She was raised by Earth Ponies. She never had the chance for her mother to teach her how to fly. That's why she's been so insistent on you learning. She wanted you to have that experience she didn't. And she also wanted the chance to teach someone herself.”

Melody sighed, feeling somewhat responsible. “I'm sorry, I guess I overreacted. I just wish she was a little less harsh all of the time.”

“I know,” Her father said, “I'm sure she doesn't mean it. Heck, we're still learning as parents after all.”

He patted her on the head, as she wiped her eyes. “You ready to head home?”

The filly nodded, as she climbed onto the back of her father. She was still upset about the night's events, but at least she understood the reasons behind it. Maybe things have calmed down, and everything would be better in the morning.

The front door was still open slightly, as her father pushed it open. Melody dreaded the scolding she would inevitably get. The stallion led them into the living room, where she found the pink pegasus she had shouted at, and ran away from. She expected to see a look of absolute anger on her face.

Shock had overwhelmed her, as she noted the tear stains on her mother's face.

“Melody...?” She mumbled.

The filly hopped off of her father's back, as she hesitantly cantered over to her. Concern overtook her, as she had never seen her mother cry like this before. She knew she shouldn't have abandoned her like she did, but now she deeply regretted it. She never wanted to make her mother cry.

Melody hopped onto the couch, as she threw her arms around the mare. Her mother returned the embrace, squeezing tightly to ensure she wouldn't let her go again.

"I'm sorry mom. I shouldn't have ran out like that." The filly said, sniffling.

"I am too, honey. I shouldn't have shouted a you like that," her mother said, kissing her on the forehead.

That was all Melody needed to hear, and her own guilt was overtaking her. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I was just so fed up with everything." She pulled away from the mare. "Dad told me about how you two were, in school."

Her mother managed to laugh, giving the stallion in question a threatening look. "Did he now?"

"He also mentioned how bad your grades were too," She laughed, hoping she wasn't crossing a line.

"Yeah, they were pretty bad. But know I just don't want you to fail, right?" Her mother asked.

Melody nodded. "Yeah, I just... I dunno, I don't want lose time with my friends."

Her mother nuzzled her. "Don't worry. You'll have all the time in world, I'll make sure of it."

Her father simply watched the scene, with a relieved smile on his face. The relationship between mother and daughter was pushed to the breaking point, but he hoped he gave Melody a new perspective on things. It would be some trying time sfor the little filly, with the work she will have to do, but at least she knew she had their support. Now and forever.

The three migrated upstairs, after realizing the time of the night. The pegasus mare tucked her daughter into bed for the first time in years. She moved to give her another kiss, before tiny hooves wrapped around her neck.

Melody had felt the full brunt of her guilt when she saw her mother cry, and never wanted to see it again. She had never regretted anything more. Her voice quivered, her words filled with more sincerity than any other. “Thanks for everything, mom,” she said, “I love you.”

The mare wrapped her filly in a hug. “I love you too, Melody. I always will.”

Shining Armor grinned as he watched his daughter drift off to sleep. Cadence strode back up to him, turning off the light. He could see how much better she felt, her heart mended by Melody's words.

“Are you okay?” He asked her.

Cadence grinned when she looked at him, the two of them heading for their own bed. “What did you say to her?”

“I just calmed her down. She knows that we're trying our best,” Shining said.

“Daddy to the rescue, eh?” She mocked. “Thanks Shiny. I couldn't ask for a better husband.”

“Maybe if you had a wish.” He joked.

“Oh please, you think I'd ask for that if I had a wish? I'd ask for a new bed.”

* * *

Shining's eyes opened in a jolt, as the rain's downpour pounded at his roof like hammers. He groaned, his vision still adjusting to the minute light in his room. His hangover was devastating, and rammed at his skull with the force of a hurricane.

He thought he'd be used to it by now.

Shining Armor knew the routine all too well at this point. Wake up to an empty bed, have a hangover that would kill a normal pony, and get ready to pour a new glass. Of course, he had already planned ahead, as a warm cup of whiskey sat upon his nightstand.

His attention was diverted to the photo behind it. Cadence and him, at a much younger age. He remembered that day, with crystal clarity. He remembered everyday with her with such detail.

Shining groaned, as he rolled over to the other side of the bed. He was getting sick of having dreams like this, but there wasn't any real way for him to stop it. Drinking himself to death obviously wasn't working.

But did he even want them to stop? They were his only real way to interact with the pegasus anymore, even if it was all in his subconscious. At the very least, Shining Armor still had her in some form.

His tired eyes focused on Ponyville through the view of the window, as he gazed at a world without his Cadence.

Comments ( 2 )

I completely forgot to write an Author's Note on this one.

Do not worry, as I WILL be writing more of this. I have more of this universe planned out since before My Dad's Worst Enemy, and there is much more to this.

In this universe, the Sparkle Family moved to Ponyville shortly after Twilight was born. The two of them grew up in the town, and soon after Cadence moved to town. In this universe, she never became an alicorn. There is a lot more to this, but we'll save that for future tales.

3308026 I thought I was in the clear but that last section caught me off guard. The feels canon has arrived and it will show no mercy :fluttershbad::fluttershyouch:

Login or register to comment