• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 365 Views, 9 Comments

Three Little Diamonds - Rarityfanboy351



A story of a man stuck in a rut in his life. Thinking there was nothing better until he finds a small filly

  • ...
1
 9
 365

Parenthood

Chapter 2: Parenthood

I stared at the card then at the young pony who was now working her way into the backseat. Disbelief and shock caused me to temporarily be stunned.

“How can this be...? How can a cartoon character that only existed on a show be real?” I asked myself as the rain started to fall harder, smacking onto the windshield and roof.

I looked to her again and noticed that something was different about her besides size from the Rarity on the card. Then I saw it. Her flank was blank of her cutiemark.

“Wonder why she doesn’t have it yet?” I asked myself. “Well guess we should go home now” I said to her as she explored.

“We” I thought with a chuckle. I hadn’t said the word we in a long time. After a little bit we arrived onto my street. Only a few houses were still occupied while most of the others sat empty. Some even had for sale signs but I assumed they hadn’t been on the market in some time. My house, compared to some was small only being a single level house with 2 bedrooms. The vibrant white paint was now a dull grey and the blue shutters which had accented each window were either missing or broken. The porch wasn’t much better than the rest of the house. Some of the boards were cracked and missing and small attempts I had made to repair it had also rotted out. I pulled into the cracked driveway as the rain eased up into a light sprinkle.
“We’re home….” I stopped in the middle of the sentence.

I hadn’t named her yet. I knew what her name would be but forgot to give it to her. I gently picked her up out of the backseat and sat her in the passenger seat. “

Do you like the name Rarity?” I asked her softly. She nodded excitedly and smiled at me. “Well then Rarity. Let’s head inside” I said to her and gently picked her up.

Climbing out of the car I held her close to me to prevent her from getting wet. I fumbled with the keys for a second as the boards creaked under my feet.

“There you are” I said to myself finding the right key and then sliding it into the lock.

The door opened with a small creak revealing the inside of the house. The interior was a bit better than the outside. The living room still had a hint of green while the carpet on the floor was almost worn out by the door. A small couch and recliner sat around a cracked glass coffee table. An old television sat in the corner with a set of rabbit ears on top. No cable companies bothered to come out here anymore so I made due with basic channels. I quickly picked up the trash scattered around and tossed them into the can in the kitchen.

“Welcome home Rarity. I know it isn't much but it's a home” I told her as she explored around.

I saw her head down the hall and rushed past her to close the bedroom doors. I had taken up my parent’s room and turned my old room into a storage room. It had once been organized but now was total chaos and I didn’t want her getting lost in the mess. She looked up at me confused but then turned to explore the rest of the house. Rarity had made her way into the kitchen and I followed her.

“Are you hungry?” I asked her and she nodded.

I thought to myself realizing I had no idea what to feed her.

“Was she too young for solid food? What did she eat? I know from the show she ate daisy and grass sandwiches. Maybe she could eat…” I was cut off by the sound of a crash and then crunching.

It seems while I was thinking she’d opened the fridge and used a bit of magic to grab a bag of carrots I had. She happily munched away. I chuckled a little and picked up the bag and removed a few. After a few moments they were peeled, rinsed, and cut into small piece, which I then placed them into a small bowl and placed them on the floor. She quickly began to snack. Thoughts once again filled my head along with the unanswered questions. How long had she’d been there? Did she have any memory of her world and when would she be going back? I pushed the thoughts away and walked out to the living room. Sitting down in my usual spot in my recliner I turned on the TV. Much wasn’t on except infomercials and day time soap operas. I heard the sound of hooves and watched as Rarity walked out and sat on the couch. She looked to me then to the TV and became suddenly interested into it. I turned to the TV to see that I had stopped on a fashion show. The new winter designs were being introduced and Rarity seemed to enjoy the show so I left it on. We sat there for hours until Rarity yawned. As yawns were contagious I yawned after her then looked to the clock. 10:34 PM was the time.

“Well we’d better get off to bed.” I said to her turning off the TV.

My newest thought was where she would sleep. My old room was crammed full of stuff which I would have to clean out and I took up my parent’s room. I stood up and walked down the hall to the closet and opened the door. Inside were a couple of spare blankets and pillows. I pulled out a pillow and blanket then shut the door with my free hand. As I went to turn to the living room but noticed that Rarity had followed me. Her white coat standing out in the dark hallway.

“Well I guess you can join me in my room” I said to her and she nodded before she let out another yawn.

She reached the door a moment after me and I opened it revealing the room. There wasn’t much special about it. The walls were a burgundy color and the floor was a black carpet. In the center of the room sat a queen sized bed. On the wall with the double door closet sat a small dresser. My mom had decided years later to put in a small storage box with a cushion on top where she would sit to put her shoes on. I placed down the pillow and blanket on the cushion making a small makeshift bed.

“This will be temporary until I clear up the other room” I said to her as she jumped up and got under the blanket.

With another yawn I walked to my bed, pulled back the blankets, and climbed in. I turned off the light and got comfortable. I soon heard the small sound of her snoozing away and smiled before drifting off to sleep aswell.