• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 3,675 Views, 223 Comments

Violets are Blue - hell00001



Lilo and Carbon are back for another adventure of romance and desperation as an enemy who has long since thought to be put away returns.

  • ...
21
 223
 3,675

Chapter 13: A Place by My Side

Violets are Blue Chapter 13

The smell of fresh rainfall filled the cool morning air of Canterlot, sweet and refreshing with a slight hint of underlying melancholy. Just enough to wet the ground, tiny puddles formed all over the city overnight. The birds did not chirp, nor did the bustling sounds of the city’s marketplace reverberate through the city streets in an effort to fill the uncomfortable void that had taken over the city. Ponies remained in their homes instead, doing their best to avoid the rainfall that was sure to be present throughout the day.

In Canterlot’s south cemetery, the massive willow tree at the crest of the hill stood taller than ever. Its long, dangling branches swayed majestically in the gentle breezes that passed over the many gravestones littered throughout the grounds, providing a special centerpiece to all of the ponies who had come to mourn that day. Although hailing from Ib’xian folklore, ponies from both the Ibex Empire and Equestria believed that wherever a willow tree grew, a ghost would be present as well. In a cemetery with a willow tree, its presence was only more substantial for ponies to make their visit to see their lost loved ones, if only for a chance to see them once more.

Carbon sat on the hill leading up to the lumbering tree, its shadow casting over both him and the four grave stones that lay in front of the pegasus. The three to the left still remained the same, marking the resting spot of Carbon’s parents and sister, but the one to the far right was fresh. Free from weather damage and moss, the freshly carved stone lay decorated in flowers, vines, and a little heart present at the peak of the headstone. More importantly, however, was the writing engraved that read, “Here lies Lilo, beautiful wife. You’ll always be by my side.”

Staring at the stone, Carbon’s eyes traced over the markings and words for perhaps the hundredth time that morning. All of the ponies who had come to see Lilo earlier had long since left; Chrysalis having royal duties and Naroke having to return to her shop. Sky Runner stayed the longest after the other two left, but eventually she, too, departed when she felt the need to return to her sister. With a hug and a kiss on the cheek, she trotted down the hill and pushed her way past the gates.

Now left alone in the cemetery, nothing stopped Carbon from getting the time to say whatever it is that he wanted to say to his fiance. With his cheeks still wet and his wings drooping at his side, he cleared his throat and padded his hoof on the ground.

“I, um,” Carbon started quietly, “I told you that you would always have a place at my side and… and the side of my family.” He paused, but when no answer came he sigh. “I already miss you, Lilo. We had so many plans for when we would grow old together. Do you remember that? How some nights we would just sit in front of the fire for hours on end, describing all of the ideas we had for when we would become a pair of old fogies.

“R-remember how we planned to one day visit Voltenice?” Carbon’s eyes searched the gravestone, but they fell when he again didn’t get a response. “We… we wanted to visit the annual carnival that takes place all of the time. Wear the masks, watch the fireworks, dine on the delicious south Equestrian food. Then we would visit the Doge’s Palace and take a look at all of the great architecture through the city. Would would meet the ponies there, take gondolas.”

A slight breeze kicked up, rustling Carbon’s main and the fresh flowers that lay at the base of Lilo’s gravestone.

“We also wanted to take a trip cross country, just you and me on hoof from one corner of Equestria to another. Do you remember that? We wanted to stop in all of the major cities along the way. Stalliongrad, Hoofington, Manehatten, Fillydelphia.” He shuffled his hooves and looked at the ground. “There were so many ponies we would meet, all sorts of different lifestyles spread out through the whole country. We would get a big taste of the melting pot that this country is known for.”

Several drops of rain fell onto Carbon’s head and he sniffled. His heart felt heavy and his nose warm.

“But now that you’re gone…” Carbon said. “All that we planned for, all that we longed for, the two of us. A changeling and a pegasus, in love and against the rest of the world, ready to show that these two worlds could coexist.” He reached out with a hoof and touched the headstone. “It isn’t fair, Lilo.”

Silenced soon followed as Carbon slumped against the headstone, laying his atop the peak and sobbing to himself. The rain gradually picked up around him, falling more in earnest as time moved on. Carbon’s feathers became as soaked as the grass around him, and his mane fell around and molded to his face.

After what seemed like half an hour, Carbon finally took himself from the gravestone and shakily rose to his hooves. The flowers he brought for her no longer held their beautiful splendor, now soaked and listless.

“I’m leaving Canterlot, Lilo,” Carbon said. “I need to get away and… well, have some time to clear my head. After everything that has happened in this city, I can no longer bear to look at it anymore. What used to be a city of imagination and beauty has turned into something dark, twisted, and angry.” He cringed as Lilo’s headstone seemed to take on a few years of weathering all at once. “I don’t know where I’ll go or if… I’ll ever return, but there is one thing that I want you to remember: I will love you forever, Lilo. I will never forget you or what you gave to me. You are the beauty that I still see in my eyes, and for what it’s worth, I think we married each other from that moment inside of the sandwich shop.”

Taking one last long look at Lilo’s headstone, Carbon turned and walked down the hill towards the gates of the cemetery. The rainfall intensified even more, water drops raining heavily all around the city and filling the noiseless void that had taken hold. Just as Carbon closed the gates behind him, the first leaves of autumn broke free of their branches and floated to the ground.

Author's Note:

First off, I would like to give a huge thank you to Redracer for his fantastic editing skills, and then another thank you to Happycamper for his prereading and allowing for me to use his OCs Sky Runner and Shadow. If you'd like to see more of these two, go check out his story Canterlot Burglar!

Secondly, I just want to say that writing these last two chapters were hard for me. A few of you know that I have a bit of a habit of killing characters off in fics, but I don't think I've ever had as much difficulty doing it as I did with Lilo. And there is a reason that I did it, however, for future fics revolving around this universe.

Lastly, I would like to thank all of you for reading Violets are Blue. All of your support for me and my writing really helps me out and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I love all of you.

I'M SO SORRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Comments ( 97 )

You monster...I can't stop crying. I know it's a story but....Why? WHY LILO!? She was so innocent...she didn't deserve it.....none of it....

......I'm just....I'll just go....and cry in the shower.

*sigh* Well, that did not end well. I am a sad panda now.

welp, time for zombies! Better get my foil hat ready. Zombies don't like foil.

3627612>>3627806>>3629659>>3630254>>3631016

I thought that this was appropriate.

24.media.tumblr.com/4cbf2e34e033d53aceb4841357c3b739/tumblr_mvcz97f9J91qea57bo1_250.png

So sad! I had such high hopes for Carbon and Lilo, and like any good story, I invested my emotions into them, and unfortunately, it ended in pain. I'm going to say this, and I know you'll know what I mean, when I say that I absolutely loved your story, and yet I utterly despise it at the same time. It did catch me completely by surprise, because while I saw the "sad" tag, there was no indication of tragedy.

I think what bothers me about her death is that it wasn't quick and painless. Instead, it was brutal, and excruciating. What a tragedy. I really liked Lilo, too. :fluttercry:

3635059

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thank you very much.

I know I'll get some backlash about not using a tragedy tag, but to me the tragedy tag is the classic "character succumbs to their weaknesses and loses it all" type of bit. Like, you know, some of the old Shakespearean plays. Granted, a character death is a tragedy depending on who the character is, but the story itself isn't a tragedy. :twilightsmile:

My favorite stories to read is sad and romance... And you found away to put both of them into one... It's a good story, I did enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for 'Roses are Red' and 'Violets are Blue'. They will be in my Top 5.

This was an excellent story, easily in my top 10. Good thing that my OC's special talent is Dark magic. With my personal endings I give stories like this, I can resurrect her (non-zombie). I'm thinking of going along the lines of stopping him to ask him how much he would be willing to pay to have her back (after his answer I would do my thing and do a full resurrection and healing only to reveal that to them that I like happy endings better). Then I would go and devour Zumas's body.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Lilo, we love you.
:fluttercry::fluttershyouch::fluttershbad:

3635165 - It was more the shock than anything. I know not all stories can be happy ones, but come on, Lilo was the sweetest pony/changeling ever. She needed a break! :raritycry:

Also, if you could do something in either a sequel, or short story, to utterly destroy Zumas in every way possible, and make it slow and painful, preferably at the hooves of an enraged Carbon, well, you know, that would be great. :eeyup:

3644160

Oh don't you worry. Zumas' demise is something worse than death can bring him.

3644036

I have a few people who like to change up my sad endings a bit so that they're not so sad. I'm glad you loved Lilo so much that you think she warrants a happy ending!

Lucky for you, I'll be writing some CarbonxLilo romance short stories so you can wash all this away from your mind. Those two were so happy during the in between of these two stories. :twilightsmile:

3644550
Of course I loved Lilo! I don't think anypony can truthfully say otherwise. Plus I love changeling romances, or any story that puts a changeling in a more positive shade. A story I'm reading right now is Without a Hive. I think you might like it, that is if you haven't read it or are reading it.

Also, it's good to know that Zumas will suffer (but I still like my solution better :rainbowwild: ). Om nom nom crunch crunch, slurp, gulp, and repeat until he's gone.:trixieshiftleft:

:applecry:

WTF man? Oh, and what did you mean by 'Future fics revolving around this universe'?

3673789

I have other fics planned in the future that take place in the same universe as Roses are Red and Violets are Blue. I'm currently working on the outline for one and should start writing it by next week.

~~~(After reading the ending)~~~
You sick, cold hearted, cruel bastard... Of all the characters to kill... This was...
unexpected.

Killing her like that...
If there is a sequal to this in any way, shape or form. Get going...

Or we will burn you... we will burn... the heart... out of you...

Cookies for anyone that gets the reference

Other than that... I cried tears of depression and was sitting in the corner for a few days...

3721189

Hey, man, I cried, too, and I wrote this!

A "sorta" sequel is in the works at the moment called Carte Blanche: The Paradox of Hedonism. I say "sorta" sequel because it is not a direct sequel of Violets are Blue, but will feature characters from both Roses are Red and Violets are Blue after the events of Violets are Blue.

I hope that helps a little. :twilightsmile:

You unimaginable and brilliant bastard. I want to hug you and pour a bucket of millipedes over your head at the same time. You took my hope for a happy ending and threw it in front of the canterlot express. But I honestly can't think of a more fitting ending. You've done it again my friend. You've done it again.

3725581

Thank you very much! :twilightsmile:

You are one of my oldest followers here. That really means a lot to me.

According to the comments Lilo will die.
:ajbemused:
Well sh-

3755356

Hey, man, FimFiction comments have always been a huge spoiler trap! Tread carefully. :twilightsmile:

3756475 I don't believe you.

You unimaginable and brilliant bastard. I want to hug you and pour a bucket of millipedes over your head at the same time. You took my hope for a happy ending and threw it in front of the canterlot express. But I honestly can't think of a more fitting ending. You've done it again my friend. You've done it again.

As one commentor said. I find this evidence hard to written off.


I hate these kinds of stories. No offence.

3756696

I don't blame you. Stories like this one don't sit well with a lot of readers and there's nothing wrong with that. We each have our own preferences.

As a side note, I will mention the spoilers in the description.

3796462

It's a bit of a harsh reality. The changelings are remembered for what they have done, and their appearances are representative of something along the lines of demons or monsters. I was hoping to draw the parallel of ponies versus changelings with whites versus blacks, Chinese versus Japanese, Farsi versus Arabic, Bosnia and Slovenia, and so on. There's a lot of irrational and unconditional hate thrown around out there...

is there a sequel to this? where carbon sorta moves on and makes it his quest to unite ponies and changelings? or does he become a guard to stop crime and end terrorism in its most domestic of forms? is there more? we shall see, on the next update to be! :moustache:

oh and uhh, add the tragedy, dark and gore(optional) tags, gore can be put into the description seeing it was very light..:pinkiesick: *cough* *cough*. but yeah dark, cause you have crime, evil, corruption, and other bad things :pinkiecrazy:. tragedy cause of that unexpected, beautifully orchestrated ending that is both hated and loved by many :fluttershbad:.. oh and Slice of life tag would be appropriate to due to the realism of the fact that even the most innocent of ponies are susceptible to the worst in life, and getting married is part of that, and that it resembles mostly a 'normal' life :eeyup:. then there is the chapters' length, Make them longer preferably 7,000 to 10,000 words each. or put this together as one big one-shot. "trust me, it makes you look better as a writer ;).. so yeah there's my feedback. other than that great story! :twilightsmile:
:moustache:
ps. i didn't comment on the first story because the sequel was already out. :twilightsheepish:

3830631

Eh, tags...

I never thought that any of the themes of the story was necessarily dark, but that's an interesting perspective. True, crime, corruption, and evil conspiracies are present in the story, although I never found them to be the most prevalent aspect of the story.

I did also originally have the tragedy tag in place, but in the scheme of writing tragedy is more along the lines of a protagonist who has a major fall in the character and are nothing more than some sort of husk of what they once were. Take Hamlet, for example. Or Romeo and Juliet. Although I suppose Violets are Blue is kind of Romeo and Juliet-isque...

Slice of Life is interesting, though... I don't know. I could remove the sad tag in favor of the tragedy tag, which would also be able to take care of the dark tag for those who think this deserves a dark tag. In any case, I'll give this a review and see what I can do about the tags.

As for chapter length, you have no idea how much I would prefer for chapters to be that long. Maybe I'll take your advice and mash more chapters together, but it seems a bit weird if I'd have breaks in between each scene. I could make each scenes longer, though, which I think you're also suggesting, but then there comes a point when I'm writing just to write instead of to write a story. I had so many issues with length with this fic. I'm trying to fix that with my next one.

Maybe if I cut this fic down into three chapters, then go back and try to work on the transitions between the scenes... That might work. I'll give both Violets are Blue and Roses are Red a look this weekend to see what I can do.

Thanks for the feedback! :twilightsmile:

3830952
hey not a problem! I'm glad to help out wherever i can. :raritywink: and if you plan on taking breaks, let your watchers know, and get some R&R, and come back as a writer that's stronger than before! :rainbowdetermined2: and now i forgot what else i was going to say cause i got distracted.... oh well. ::pinkiesmile:

Why would you do that? WHY? that was a efing awesome! good fic. SMILES:pinkiehappy:

Thank you for making me get attached to character and then so graciously riping my heart out all in one night
P.S. I hate you and love you for this series and totally wish that I had read the tags to the second part after I finished the first.
(Cries himself to sleep in corner)

Why did you do it? WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!:raritycry:

3886526

Ah, yes, it should be fiance. All fixed.

And, uh... currently inexplicable reasons?

No mater how many times I plan out a different ending for this in my head. I still have to finish reading the chapter it see how it ends. Now as the curtain closes I play my trumpet. I saw that this story was complete and the sad tag so I put it off from reading. Now that I have there is that feeling in my chest that longs for a happy ending. so overall great writing and story. I hope for great stories in the future.

sad tag? I can kinda guess how this is gonna end, I enjoyed the first story, but don't think I'll want to read this :applecry:

3920956

No worries! I can understand why you'd like to avoid reading this story. Sad and tragedy tags have always been dangerous grounds to traverse. :twilightsmile:

WHAAAATT?!......

No.........

(Clicks on author's profile and frantically shuffles through all of his stories, looking for a story that continues the series)

NO...............

(A tear forms at the bottom of his eyes, realizing the dreadful truth)

LILO NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhOOOOhOO!!!!!!*cough* *wheeze* WWWHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????!!!!! *sniff* *sputter*

I am listening to when I'm gonna from enemin and this end, I can hardly not cry!!!

FUCK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!! .........okay sorry for but that really hurt me the worst of all that is that motherfucker and trash made pony of zumas is still alive. Damm my nature of curiosity, its just dont fait this shouldnt have ended like a love book they suck! Soooo here end the love.......*sigh* ............this is the first story of romance that end tragically.But i dont want it to ebd like this it could be much better that Carbon died that will be less painful.omg just
.........just............i should leave it here

It is nice to finally read a fic that tries to realistically portray the changelings immigrating into pony society. Even though it ends in tragedy, it was a good read. But there is still a story to be told here. Like what about the other changelings? Have any more found love with a pony? And what about the pony group that was racist against Changelings? Did they become violent and try to kill Changelings?

And there is one question that is just me. How would the racists react to a changeling and a pony having a child?

4000914

I figured that something like changelings wouldn't get accepted in society; it really only seemed natural by the trends seen in the show when it comes to portraying something that is largely different from the norm. Of course there was Zecora, but she wasn't a threat in the first place compared to the changelings. So I decided to slap on a sob story for the changeling race and show them trying to assimilate into pony culture, which obviously would have had some negative repercussions due to both their invasion and their "monster-isque" appearance.

I'm also planning on going into more detail about the racism against changelings, although that's planned to be further down the road in another story that I am currently writing.

4002708 It is very doubtful for somebody to have been part of an invading force to be accepted, but it can happen. The time it takes will just vary from person to person. In world war 2, many Germans and Japanese immigrants were shunned due to their origin country fighting. But the differences had been majorly forgotten within the decade. And with the civil rights movement, African Americans were given true citizenship, with only the most stubborn people still being racist.
If Equestria is anything like Earth and America (which it's mainly based on) I feel that even though it will take time, changelings will be accepted into society.
Oh, and Even before races were accepted, people still intermarried and had children.
The main reason I am so adamant about this is because I want to see a changeling pony hybrid growing up surrounded by prejudice and learning to cope, and still live a good life.

4003442

You hit the nail on the head there.

Oh, hm... You know, the idea of a hybrid growing up in an oppressive society hadn't crossed my mind. However, I do believe that I have seen such a story written by Anonymous Pegasus, although I haven't read the story so I don't know all of the details. He was my inspiration for Carbon and Lilo in the first place.

4003740 I believe you are talking about his 'Afliction of the Heart' series, but I'm afraid you are mistaken. There is a Changeling hybrid, but there isn't any anti-changeling prejudice, as far as I can tell. Or at least none on the realistic scale that I see here.
And while the first of the series is one of the best fics I've ever read about a changeling and pony falling in love, I feel his later stories have suffered a bit in quality and message.

How do YOU think a half-ling would grow up in your Equestria?

4003916

Ah, well, that explains it. I haven't read anything past Affliction of the Heart: Volume 2, mostly because I agree that the series isn't nearly as good as his first fic. Aside from that one part where Warden saves Kuno, there's not much changeling prejudice.

As for a hybrid growing up in an oppressive society? Well, I can imagine that the parents would be desperate to keep him/her safe while still letting them experience growing up in pony society. They'd more than likely be home schooled until the hybrid can change forms sufficiently - if that is even possible. Being that this is a hybrid, it is possible that changing forms isn't even feasible. Anyways, I can imagine at school the hybrid would be subjected to changeling hate and what not, even if they aren't in their changeling form. They'd simply hear the hate and feel dejected by it. They'd be more and more distraught over their teenage years, although that all depends whether or not the changeling hate is due to the aftermath fear of the invasion or runs deeper than that. For the sake of story, we'll consider the latter. They could join changeling rights or equality groups, which can increase their chances to witness and take part in the stronger aspects of the changeling hate. It'd be a gritty fic, to say the least, albeit it can definitely have a happy ending.

Im glad I read the spoilers to be honest. I cant handle endings where the lovers dont get together, I just cant. I refuse to play FF7 for that very reason no matter how many times im told its the best game ever.

4004122

I haven't read anything past Affliction of the Heart: Volume 2

There are thousands of bronys and brangelings that disagree with you but I respect your opinion about that as long as you respect my opinion about your first story was better than this one.

4007671

Oh yeah, I understand. I mean, I respect Anonymous Pegasus because in order to gain all of the followers that he has he has had to have written some pretty great stuff. I may not agree with everyone necessarily that his later works are as good as his first, but that doesn't mean that they're wrong. Just a differing of opinions is all.

And yeah, I do respect that you don't like Violet's as Blue as much as Roses are Red. It may be the setting, it may be the story, it my be the ending, hell, it might even by the structure of my writing. Whatever it is, I'll take all the criticism I can get if it means that it'll help me write better in the future. :twilightsmile:

4008299 Roses are Red is one the best changeling fics I have read and I love Lilo but this one seems well more darker than I first but I guess that sounds funny really but I don't any other way of saying it I guess.

4008337

I understand. I've had people straight up tell me that they refuse to read the fic because they went through and looked at the spoilers. I don't mind, read what you will!

I do look back and wonder what would have happened if I ended this fic happily like Roses are Red. Who knows, maybe I could have gone off to write a whole series full of adventures that Carbon and Lilo take; it actually sounds pretty enticing at the moment. However, I've got these story ideas in my head that I want to play out and this story's ending, unfortunately, was part of those ideas.

I am writing this as a sort of way to make it up to everyone for killing her. She's perhaps one of my favorite characters that I have ever written and I couldn't just stop here at this story writing about her. :twilightsmile:

bravo, not many authors have the balls to pull off plot like that, especially involving the main character

Login or register to comment