• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 10,409 Views, 615 Comments

The Legend of the Titans - Silent Bob



In the depths of the Everfree Forest, an artifact older than life itself activates, bringing forth five, resting heroes of old. Though they don't remember much, they still remember who they are. The question is, however, are they still needed?

  • ...
37
 615
 10,409

Prologue - The Long Goodbye

Trillions of Years Before the Events of Friendship is Magic

The Amazon Rain Forest

Earth

For the Titans, there was many things that could get them spurred into action. Sometimes it seemed like monsters and supervillains spawned out of mid air, and it was always during something important, too, like a late-night video game marathon, or reruns of Robot Chicken (that sometimes crudely parodied the Titans' various exploits, much to Beast Boy's delight). Sometimes, on a blue moon, the fight even came to them. But most of the time, an average day in their business started with a simple two words:

"OOOOOH CRAP!"

You thought it was going to be 'Titans, GO!' Didn't you? Hehe... sucker. That's still coming up.

Hovering above an ancient Mayan pyramid, long taken over by nature's vines and tangles, was a single, almost submarine-like craft. There was a sound of air being compressed, and soon enough, the five black hatches situated at the top part of it flung off of it, revealing their strange occupants.

"I told you this was a dumb, idea, Robin!" an African-American, half-human, half-machine spat. "But noooo, you always gotta go right into the killzone, don't ya?!"

"Ugh - shut it, Cyborg!" Robin, also known as the Boy Wonder, or 'green-tight-wearing fairy' on his bad days, hissed. "This isn't time for second guessing ourselves."

"Second guessing yourself, you mean!?" Cyborg groaned. "This is the fifth time I'm going to have to rebuild this baby, you know!"

"Is this really the time for arguing?" another stated, a pale, gothic looking girl hidden mostly beneath a blue cloak. "Shouldn't we uh... be 'abandoning ship'? But by all means, at this point, dying is alright, too..."

"Pffft, how are we going to die?!" the fourth spoke, a young, green, furry male of a sort, sporting a black and purple spandex. "Slade's like - down there, and we're way up here!"

Suddenly, there was a series of strange beeping sounds coming from the ground, causing the green elf to hop in his seat in fright. He looked over the edge of it, gulping, only to see a quartet of pint-sized laser cannons looking back at him.

"Or not," he gulped.

Raven shot him a blank look. "Yes, Slade and his vast arsenal of ranged weaponry could never get us up here," she snarked.

"Friends!" the fifth an orange skinned girl cried, her eyes two pools of green. "I believe now is the time we participating in the reprieving of criminal elements!"

"Say wah?!" Beast Boy gasped. "Starfire, stop speaking foreignese!"

"I think she means," Robin cried. "BAIL OUT! TITANS! GO!"

There ya go.

"EEEEEP!" Starfire shrieked.

TEOW-TEOW-TEOW-TEOW-TEOW-TEOW-TEOW!.!.!.!.!

As soon as they began to move, the four turrets opened fire on the craft, sending a flood of scattered red laser light at it. First, it became swissed cheese as their laser ammunition ripped through it. That was until-

FROOOOOOOOOOOOOM!.!.!

One finally struck the fuel source, ripping apart the craft in a fiery inferno.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Cyborg cried, falling all the way to the stony top of the pyramid without any sort of safety equipment. He landed with a tremendous THUD!, cracking the ancient stone and actually creating a crater. "Robin! I swear: if nothing comes of this, YOU'RE PAYING FOR A NEW ONE THIS TIME!"

"Ugh - Sorry, Cyborg!" Robin grunted, sailing down next to his side, grapple-hook in hand. "It was a bad call! But it'll be worth it, I promise you!"

"Oh you bet your skinny butt it will be worth it!" Cyborg snarked. "It'll be worth every last buck in your bat-wallet!"

"Uh, dudes!" Beast Boy cried, transforming out of falcon form next to them. He frantically pointed at the nearby cannons that were slowly pivoting towards them. "The big 'pew pew pew' shooty laser guns are still there!"

Raven shook her head in disbelief. "Beast Boy is acting as the voice of reason? By god: I guess Slade really is going to destroy the world this time..."

"We don't have time for this!" Robin shouted. "Slade just went into the pyramid, and we needed to be in there five minutes ago!"

Starfire glanced at him curiously. "But Robin, aren't we to acquire fierce vengeance against the foul mechanical monstrosities that have desecrated our beloved T-Ship?!"

Cyborg grinned at her. "This is why you should be the leader, Star! I like the way you think!"

"There are alternatives to fighting," Robin muttered. "Raven, shield us!"

"Right away, Obi-Wan," she grunted, and right as the cannons fired, a black forcefield leapt up around them. A multitude of lasers struck it, each creating a small red mark on it when it struck. They quickly moved out of their line of fire and behind two massive stone walls lining an ancient duo of doors.

"T-That... was awesome," Beast Boy said, nearly breaking into tears.

Starfire raised an eyebrow. "But this is not the first time Raven has provided us with her defensive-"

"NO, not that!" he said, looking as if he had entered nirvana. "It's that we're totally making Star Wars references now! STAR WARS REFERENCES! I- I love you guys."

"My god," Raven said, blinking in disbelief, before glancing at Starfire. "Starfire, is it normal to be tickled by this or extremely annoyed?"

"Tickled, my friend, for this is why we are such a joyous team!" she beamed. "We are like true Tamaranian Warriors, appreciating the small things in the heat of even the fiercest battle!"

Cyborg actually threw a smirk at that. "We aren't too bad at all, really? And you know what, even if we go in there and Slade throws everything he has at us, even in the worst case scenerio: he'll never truly beat us."

"Then let's finally take him to where he belongs," Robin grunted, throwing a fist into his palm. One could practically see the eagerness, the obsession in his eyes: even through the mask. "This is it, Titans. We're at the final home of the enemy." He then chuckled at the door. "And I suppose we'll just have to let ourselves in, won't we?"

"Booya," Cyborg smiled, transforming both of his arms into sonic cannons. However, after a second of thought, he winked at Robin. "Actually, care to do the honors, bird boy?"

"Don't mind if I do," he grinned, whipping out a small, circular device and sticking it to the door...


The interior of the temple was almost pitch-black. It was a lonely place: one filled with dust and horrible, ancient memories of sacrifice and despair. Yet still, there was still a hint of light: one coming from the center of the room. It came from no physical object, rather a swirling mass of energetic lights.

Standing before it was the massive room's lone occupant: a silhouette if looked at from the door...That was now... beeping?

Beep.... beep.... beep-beep-beep-beep...

"Hmph," the figure chuckled. "Always so punctual..."

BOOOOOOOOM!.!.!

With a flood of light, the door became nonexistent, blasted into a million stone pieces. Now, all that stood there were five Teen Titans, silhouettes themselves in front of a setting sun.

"Dude - what... is that?!" Beast Boy gasped, his eyes widening at the strange vortex of lights.

Robin grunted slightly. "Doesn't matter: all that matters is that Slade wants it." He then slowly began to walk forward, his teammates in tow. "Am I right, Slade?"

"Yeah, he's staring at that like it's late night HBO!" Cyborg laughed.

Raven shot him a suspicious look. "What do you watch on HBO?"

Cyborg quickly sweat-dropped. "Oh - um... uh... sports. Lots of... sports."

Raven shot him a blank look. "You're disgusting."

"Hahaha! Oh my god, Cy," Beast Boy giggled. "You've been holding out on me, haven't you?!" He then glanced at him curiously. "But bro... I gotta ask: are you um- fully functio-"

"Titans, concentrate!" Robin growled.

However at that, a cold, deep, though somewhat amused voice finally responded.

"Concentrate, Robin?" Slade chuckled. "But your... 'banter', is always the best part of these little meetings... it's something I'll never miss..."

"Ugh, why is he always so subtle?" Beast Boy muttered. "And seriously, hasn't anyone but me noticed that Slade sort of sounds like Hellboy? I'm onto you Ron Perlman..."

Slade chuckled yet again, still facing the lights. "In fact: I'm beggining to see why you keep the child around."

"Shame you won't be 'enjoying' his company anymore, Slade," Robin snapped. "You're lucky that the state will have it its own way, because if it were mine: you'd be rotting in a jail cell the rest of your life." Robin began to slowly walk towards him. "And do you know what would be in it? A single television. And the only show playing would be pictures of all of those who have suffered or still do because of you! Families, friends, children!"

At that, Slade remained silent... slowly turning around to reveal his masked face.

"Robin," he said, amused as ever. "What you're suggesting sounds somewhat like psychological torture." He narrowed his eyes. "You still haven't changed a bit, my old apprentice."

Robin's mask widened in rage. "Don't you DARE say something like that!"

"Robin," Starfire whispered. "Do not let him anger you-"

"I've never made anyone suffer! That's your job!" Robin shouted.

Slade brought a hand to his chin.

"Yet here you are: hunting me to the ends of the Earth after I helped you save it," Slade said. "I have already suffered for my... 'crimes', you know. Or is the death penalty not good enough for you?"

Robin tightened his fist. "The only reason I've hunted you is because I know, deep down, people never change! Especially people like you!"

Slade stood silent for a second, as the rest of the Titans glanced at Robin with concern.

"Dude... every time," Beast Boy whispered to Raven.

Raven nodded. "He can't even think about Slade without letting his emotions take control. I supposed people really don't change..."

Finally, Slade let out an evil, dark laugh: something he rarely ever did. "My dear boy: you have never been more right. We will always be two sides of the coin. It's almost as if we need each other, isn't it?"

"Alright, that just sounds messed up," Cyborg interjected. "In a really, really, creepy HBO special kind of way."

Slade cocked his head slightly. "Amusing, Cyborg, though I don't suppose you could understand the relationship between a father and his son, could you?" He gazed over the Titans. "Could any of you? Raven - born of an interdimensional demon and sheltered by alien monks. Beast Boy, or should I say: Garfield Logan, who's father was lost to the wild. And back to you, Cyborg - AKA, Victor Stone - how long did it take for your father to bleed to death? Did he die as bravely as they say that day in S.T.A.R. Labs, or a coward? Oh, and how can we forget our favorite child of the stars? Koriand'r, I believe you're called in the government files. Tell me: how quickly do the Gondorians execute their prisoners? I'm... 'out of touch' with extraterrestrial affairs." He then glanced at Robin. "And finally: Dick Grayson, student of Bruce Wayne. The cold, calculating Batman. Did he ever give you the comfort that your own father did? Before his little... 'slip.'"

Cyborg narrowed his eyes. "That was low, Slade, even from you."

"My dad loved me, and so did the Doom Patrol! Mento treated me like a son - he did!" Beast Boy gulped, fighting back a few tears. "W-What the hell do you know, huh?!"

"You will suffer for even speaking of my parents!" Starfire hissed. "A second of their valor outclassed your entire life's worth!

Raven merely glared at him. "Speak what you want of my father, but don't bring down my friends."

"And you don't know anything about my own!" Robin hissed. "However, I'm becoming more like him every day. I'm ready to take you, this time! I don't know how you know who I really am, but it doesn't matter! Either way: we're taking you down!" His mask narrowed. "However, I'm still willing to give you one last chance to explain what you want with that... that thing behind you and surrender!"

"Ah, this?" Slade chuckled, bemused, before gesturing at it. "Amazing, isn't it? Just looking at it can tell you a number of things. It almost seems like it shouldn't belong here... but it should at the same time, doesn't it? Ah - the limitations of the mind. Sometimes, it just can't... 'grasp'... the reality of something. Instead, it simply creates to substitute. It's very clearly how your mind works, Robin. You enter this place substituting the fact that I am always one step ahead of you with the false theory that your visit was just random chance."

"So it's a trap," Cyborg yawned. "Big deal."

"A trap?" Slade chuckled. "Haven't I stated before how much your very existence means to me? An endless source of annoyance at times, but an endless source of amusement at others. I didn't draw you here for vengeance..."

"What the hell are you getting at, Slade?" Robin growled. "Quit beating around the bush with your stupid monologuing and just spit it out!"

"Patience, Robin," Slade said in a sing-song tone. "I am about to answer your earlier question, after all."

Robin furrowed his brow, folding his arms. "And that is..."

"While it's true I've been fascinated with this.. artifact," Slade stated. "It also seems to be fascinated with me."

"Are you saying that that thing is some sort of living rave?" Beast Boy blinked.

"In a way," Slade said. "A... 'rave' that has been going on since before this universe... and before even the one that came before it, as you could say."

"W-What?" Robin blinked. "How is that even possible!"

"I must admit, I said the same thing at first," Slade mused. "Yet I suppose that it's comforting to know that even I can still be humbled by things. Whoever, or whatever created this entity knew what they were doing. They knew that all universes would someday whither and die, eventually forming new ones, some possibly much different than our own: perhaps even uninhabitable to life as we know it. Yet they figured a way to work around this small issue..."

The Titans merely stood silently: motionless and dumbfounded.

"Can you hear them, Titans? Echoing across the time before time? This is the ultimate life-boat... and my salvation." He raised a finger. "However, I can't enter it alone."

The Titans slowly began to back away, each holding unnerved expression. "Er - no thanks, Slade," Beast Boy gagged. "But you're the last person I want to spend a bajillion years trapped with inside some sort of cosmic escape pod thing."

"You don't understand," Slade sighed. "Though this artifact wants me..." He quickly turned around, whispered an unknown language to the lights, and then glanced back at the Titans. Robin could practically see his wicked grin behind the mask. "...It also wants you."

At that, the device began to emit an ear splitting whirring sound... its lights twirling faster and faster...

"All aboard," Slade said darkly.

"Oooh crap!" Beast Boy gasped, his eyes widened. "B-But I have so much to do in this universe, still! So many reruns to watch, so many girls to ask out on dates!"

"And get rejected by," Raven muttered.

"I say we give it a head start-" Cyborg grunted, aiming both of his cannons at the lights. "From our universe to the next!"

"Indeed!" Starfire shouted, her hands igniting into two green, glowing starbolts as her eyes began glowing a piercing green. "I am about to drop the large nail pounding device!"

"That would be ill-advisable," Slade said, almost in a bored tone. "Unless ripping a hole in the space-time continuum is what you kids are into today..."

"Who says I'm aiming for it?!" Starfire spat.

Robin narrowed his mask yet again. "Sorry, Slade, but we like it where we are! The only other 'universe' you're going to is a five by five cell!" Suddenly, he whipped out his bow-staff, extended it, and twirled it. "TITANS! GO!"

"BOOYA!"

"Yay..."

"OOOH YEAH, BABY! THE CLIMAX HAS ARRIVETHED!"

With that, the five, now including a green velociraptor, darted forward, the floor rumbling beneath them...

Slade merely stood stoically, calmly procuring a bo-staff from his metallic belt. "Well then - time for one last romp around the old neighborhood..." he said darkly. "Titans... 'come'."

With that, Slade cracked his neck, before charging towards the advancing quintet. Immediately, he was greeted by a wave of bird-a-rangs, dark energy projectiles, starbolts, and ion cannon blasts.

“RAUUUUUUGH!.!.!” he roared, manuevering his staff with skill unseen by the Titans before.

SHIIING! CLANG! TEOW! TEOW!

In the blink of an eye, he had blocked nearly everything thrown at him. The Titans had no time to prepare a second wave, either: Slade was already upon them. With one swift movement, he launched himself into the air –

CRRRRACK!

“EEEEP!”

- Struck Starfire with his staff, and landed behind them. Starfire reeled back, gripping her gut, but seemed unharmed for the most part. However, before the Titans could retaliate, Slade was already making his next move. He procured and dropped a series of smoke bombs, creating a cloud in which he disappeared into.

“I’ve got him!” Beast Boy growled.

“BEAST BOY! WAIT!” Robin cried. “IT’S A-“

It was too late, Beast Boy had already transformed into a lion and ripped into the smoke-cloud. A mere second later, a terrible shriek came from inside it, and the sound of an electrical discharge.

“AAAAGHHHHHHH!.!.!”

“Trap,” Robin mumbled.

The smoke cleared a moment later, revealing an unconscious Beast Boy, as well as a sparking ‘mine’ placed on the ground.

“Damnit!” Robin hissed. “Titans: no more mistakes!”

“Jesus! When did Slade get so badass?” Cyborg gasped.

At that, another deep laugh echoed from the shadows. “Oh Cyborg: I thought you and Robin would have figured it out by now. All those times when you thought you had the upper hand, the thrill of total victory in your grasp… I was holding back. Testing you, just like I’ve been testing Robin. Even back in the apprentice days, I had no intention of getting rid of any of you… you’re just a source of amusement for a very, very old man.”

“Ugh, another award winning pervy line from Slade," Raven groaned.

“And why now, Slade?” Robin grunted. “Why are you finally giving us your all now of all times?!”

“Because this…” he said. “Is our final time together for trillions of years. And I’m going to make it something to remember. RAUUUUUGH!.!.!”

Out of nowhere, Slade charged yet again, dual-wielding two laser repeater rifles.

Robin gasped in horror. “Raven! Give us a-“

“AGH!”

It was too late – she was blasted out of the air, before sailing into the ground: unconscious.

“Mmmmm, two Titans down, three to go,” Slade mused, screeching to a halt. “Hope you don’t mind that I used a little… advantage over your pet witch.”

“How about I level the field of battle, then?!” Starfire shouted, zipping towards Slade like a shooting star.

FLING! FLING FLING FLING FL-FL-FL-FLINNNNG!

Starbolt after thunderous starbolt roared towards Slade. He countered with an intricate series of ducks and rolls, returning fire with the Titan, but neither could match each other’s agility.

“Cyborg, this is your chance!” Robin said.

“To blast Slade to the next universe, too?” he grinned, levelling his cannons. “Sounds good to me!”

“No, nonono!” Robin grunted. “You have to figure out a way to shut off the artifact. If it activates, Slade gets a free pass to the next universe!”

“Yeah, and if it does, so do we!” Cyborg argued.

Robin shook his head. “We are not letting Slade get away! I’ll gladly take the ‘life-boat’ if it means he’s finally brought to justice!”

“Robin – listen to yourself!” Cyborg growled. “Wherever there’s a Slade, there will be Titans. Doesn’t matter what universe he’s in! I know he seriously pissed you off in the past – screwed us all over time after time, but you gotta let it go! Think of our city!”

Robin glared at him. “Just see what you can do to turn that thing off. This ends today!”

“Ugh – alright, man, but as soon as I’m sure it’s about to do it’s thing, we’re all getting out of here, even if I have to drag you!”

"The only thing you'll be dragging is Slade," Robin smirked. "Get to it!"

"Yes, sir!" Cyborg said, rolling his eyes with a mock salute, before clanking over to the artifact...

In the meantime, Starfire twirled and danced through the strangely high airspace of the room, dodging streams of red, hot laser as they flew at her. In the meantime, Slade continued to dodge starbolt after starbolt.

"Mmmm, impressive, Koriand'r," Slade chuckled.

Suddenly, his eyes widened. Starfire ripped directly towards him, firing starbolts along the way. Slade charged her himself, zig-zagging while firing burst shots.

"And here I was starting to think Robin wasn't good enough for you!" he shouted.

Starfire let loose a battle cry at that, two beams of light firing from her eyes. "Our relationship does not need your judgement!"

Slade's eyes widened as the beams struck him, sending him hurtling back, as well as shattering his grip on his two rifles. He swung his arms - madly trying to regain his balance, just when-

SWISSSSH-CRACK!.!.!

- Robin entered the foray, slamming the the end of his staff into Slade's back.

"AGH!"

This time, he stumbled forward, landing on his two palms.

"Guess your best isn't good enough, is it, Slade?" Robin said coldly.

Slade merely coughed, before rolling out of the way of another barrage of starbolts. He quickly lunged to his feet, spying one of his rifles lying just a bit away. Like an ape, he quickly crawled towards it-

SLIIIING - CHICK!

Before he could grip it, however, a bird-a-rang sailed into it, ripping the barrel in two.

"Did I ever tell you how much I hate guns?" Robin growled.

Slade merely chuckled yet again, leaping to his feet and glaring at Robin. "I think I picked that up."

"How about you pick THIS up!" Starfire shouted, now feet away from colliding into the metal assassin fists first.

Slade narrowed his eyes, twirling towards her. "I think it's time you stopped being so... clingy."

With one solid motion, he gripped another small ball from his utility belt, before chucking it at the airborne Tamaranian. It struck her with incredible force, releasing a swath of liquid that quickly ate through her pores.

"What the hell was that, Slade?!" Robin shouted. "I swear - if you hurt her-"

"Relax, Robin..." Slade said.

As Robin gasped, and Slade looked at her with bemusement, Starfire halted in in her attack, floating to the ground as her starbolts flickered off.

"R-Robin," Starfire said, shivering as tears forming in her eyes. "I-I feel... cold."

"Starfire, are you alright?!" Robin cried.

"C-Can't... fly," she whimpered.

"Oops," Slade said. "Did I clip your mate's wings, Robin?"

Robin's eye began to twitch. He twirled towards his arch-nemesis. "RaauuuuugHHHHH - SLADE!"

He roared towards Slade, who calmly extended his bo-staff yet again.

CLING-CLANG-CLACK-SHIIIIIING!.!.!

With a barrage of sparks, the two parried thrice, before becoming locked in one.

"Your loyalty is admirable, Robin," Slade said, an actual hint of respect in his voice. "But not to worry - I haven't done anything... permanent to the alien."

Robin hissed at this, twirled about, and -

CLAAAACK! SWOOSH-CLING-CLANG-CRACK!

Sent another barrage of staff hits Slade's way, ones he easily parried and dodged.

At that, Slade nodded to Starfire, who was now kneeling down on the floor, weeping profusely. "I just brought her joyful spirit... down to our level. It's funny, really: she could probably take down an entire mechanized division, but with a little knowledge - such as how her powers are fueled by positive emotion - and a bit of purified chemical depressant, and 'poof', she's just another sad excuse for a teenager. Tell me, Robin - how do you look at her now?"

Robin narrowed his eyes. "I'm not looking at her any different, just you. You have no idea what having feelings for anyone else is like, do you?" He shook his head in disbelief. "It's funny, really - in a small way, and I mean a REALLY small way, I actually pity you..."

He merely shrugged. "Hmmm, well what's that new saying? I have ninety nine problems, but a better half isn't one of them? We're all different, Robin... some of us just like being alone."

At that, Slade sent another series of staff hits towards the Boy Wonder.

CLANG-CLLLLLING!

They locked in parry yet again, their staffs grinding together, showering sparks over the stone floor.

"Is that why you wanted me so bad as your apprentice?!" Robin shouted. "Why you were so obsessed with me?!"

"Simple Robin," he sighed. "I was... obsessed with you because you're my polar opposite... and I wanted to see if one's balance of morals could be... shifted. Perhaps at one time I wished you to be the son I wished I had, but my main motivations were merely... pragmatic. I was wrong about both... yet I've since realized how beautiful it is."

"What the hell are you talking about?!"

Slade narrowed his eyes, before ramming his staff into the ground, flipping over Robin, and attacking from behind.

CLIIIIING-CLACK!

Robin managed to block at the last minute, but the powerful blow sent him reeling back.

"I do wrong, you do right," Slade chimed.

He charged forward, sending the butt-end of his staff into Robin's gut.

"OOF!"

Robin collapsed to his knees, gasping in pain.

"You are noble, and I am but a blight."

WOOOOOOSH-CRACK!

Slade's metal boot collided with the Boy Wonder's legs.

"AAAAGHHH!"

He collapsed onto his palms.

"We have and always will be the balance of the scale."

Slade was upon him in an instant, gripping him by the collar and hoisting him up to his wicked, masked face.

"From here until the last star pales."

"S-Shut up!" Robin spat. "I don't need you! I'll be happy when everybody like you is fucking DEAD!" He then gritted his teeth, glancing towards Cyborg. "Cyborg, did you get that thing-"

His mask widened. Cyborg was gone. In his place was an expanding ball of energy...

"Fortunate. The artifact has already claimed its first entry," Slade chirped.

"N-No," Robin squeaked.

"Hmmm?" Slade quirked his head. "I don't understand you, sometimes, boy. What would you do without someone like me to fight? Settle down with a wife and family? Move to Tamaran and live the rest of your life in solace?"

"..."

"Just what I thought," Slade chuckled. "Not to worry: I'm the same way. So are your friends, I believe - most of them, that is."

With that, he slowly sat Robin down, before actually taking a seat on the stony floor. Robin stood, still panting and gazing at him with disbelief.

"You might as well have a seat, Robin," Slade said, patting the ground next to him. "You can't outrun the artifact, now - and if you do, you'll never see Cyborg, and perhaps the rest of your friends, again."

...

"You know it's true... embrace it."

...

Finally, closed his eyes in defeat, and Robin, the Boy Wonder, dumbfounded and confused, slowly, but surely, accepted his offer: sitting down next to him as the ball of energy steadily grew outward.

...

"...Why?" he finally asked.

"Simple, Robin," Slade said. "Remember when I said I'm a very, very old man? Well - I'm bound to grow much older. Many years ago I gained immortality: be it a gift or a curse, I don't know yet. However, I have no intention of sitting and waiting until the universe snuffs itself out. I thought I'd do you the favor and allow you to come with me to the next. After all, good is slowly overtaking this world. Eventually, there may not be any villains left. And as I asked: what would you do, then?"

"..."

"Exactly. Without me around, there won't be anyone left to fight. Your point of existence, everything you lived for, will be gone." He took a deep breath. "A hero will always need a villain, Robin, and a villain will always need a hero. You know it, I know it, the artifact knows it, and perhaps even the universe knows it. That's why it's been calling us, Robin: it's a servant of the balance. It wants you and your friends. You are the toll for me to escape this sinking ship."

Robin blinked in disbelief, and the two sat in silence for a moment, as the bubble of light expanded.

...

"... What do you think the next universe will be like?" Robin whispered.

"Peaceful, I believe," Slade said softly. "From what I can ascertain from the artifact. Oh sure, there might be a few sources of evil in it... but not as much as in this one. Perhaps that's why the artifact wants me so much: to stabilize the balance."

"Then why does it need us?" Robin asked.

Slade shrugged. "I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm wrong... or perhaps I tip the balance too far. We'll likely never know."

...

Another few seconds passed, before he slowly glared at him. "When we get there..."

"Naturally, Robin," he chuckled, before sighing heavily.

...

"Naturally..."

And at that, the two of them, as well as the rest of the Titans, were enveloped by the blinding light of the artifact. When it finally dissipated: it was if nobody had ever been in the room at all.

...

....

...


Trillions of Years Later

Two Thousand and Twenty Years Before the Coming of Nightmare Moon

Beneath the Everfree Forest...

...

...

...

A sound much like the hissing of steam echoed through an ancient, long-forgotten cavern, if it was even in the memory of anypony at all before recently. Stalagmites dripped from the ceiling, and a ghostly wind joined the sound joined with that which came within. Then, suddenly, out of nowhere came a plethora of twirling lights.

...

"S-Sister," a small, blue alicorn peeped, glancing at them from a distance. "A-Art thou sure tis safe to dwell here?"

However, they were not alone.

"Be at ease, Luna," the elder chuckled. "Tis what I was speaking about the latest morrow... tis beautiful, tis it not?"

Luna squinted skeptical eyes at it, tapping her hoof.

"Hmph - tis unnatural, me thinks... Tia," she said slowly.

She rolled her eyes. "Thou would'st."

"And wherefore did it only come hither when we arrived?" Luna asked, still skeptical.

She gave her a blank look, letting forth a long sigh. "Can't thou just sit and enjoy this without thy woes? I pray of thou-"

At that, however, Luna's ear perked.

"- to do so..."

"Shhhhh, Celestia..." Luna hissed.

"Hmmm?" she grunted. "What tis it?"

"Shush! Hark now..." she said, bringing a hoof to her ear. "I hear voices..."

Celestia furrowed her brow. "Tis strange, I do as well. Perchance we have been discovered?"

Luna shook her head. "Neigh. It comes from yonder... from the lights..."

Celestia put on an excited smile. "Perhaps truly from yonder, hm? Let us draw closer!" She began to dart forward, though Luna quickly snatched her tail. "Ugh- release me, will thou?"

She shook her head again, gulping. "Neigh! I... see something..."

Celestia threw her an annoyed look. "Amusing... tis nothing-"

She turned her head towards it, her eyes widening.

"T-Tither?"

Then, immediately after, a strange, metallic mask began to slowly form from wisps of light in front of the artifact, then a neck... a torso... legs and a body.

"I told thou! Tis a curse! Yonder comes a demon!"

"Enough with thine cowishness!" Celestia groaned.

Then... the figure emitted a grim, dark laugh.

"Now... isn't this amusing?"

The two eeped in shock, backing away from it.

"T-Thou speak'st?!" Celestia gasped.

"Yes, and I have to say: you should really listen to your... sister, I suppose? It isn't good to go where you do not belong."

Without warning, the figure took a sudden step forward, laughing darkly yet again.

"EEEP! THOU ART MAD!" Celestia shrieked.

"LET US HIE, THEN!" Luna cried.

And as the sound of the dark chuckle followed them, the two royal sisters darted out of the cavern.

"Hmph," Slade chuckled, glancing his new body over. "Now this... is going to take a bit of getting used to."'

He then tapped his new, metal-clad hoof to his chin.

"Still... something's missing..."

He glanced at the artifact, a worried look in his eyes for once.

"Where are you, old friends?"

Author's Note:

Well holy Jesus, Batman, I hope that wasn't overly-dramatic enough. Not to worry: it'll lighten up. But yeah, a little background on this fic. I friggin' love the Teen Titans, in fact, it was probably the only obsession I had bigger than MLP. That's why I'm glad to be adding them as an addition to the Strangeverse. I hope I nailed the characters decently, so critics: show me no mercy. Let me know if there's any grammatical errors and such.