• Published 29th Jul 2013
  • 3,001 Views, 22 Comments

Dark Magic - newHelm



Spike decides to try and end the war, but first he must protect the Elements of Harmony form King Sombra and the duke of the drakos.

  • ...
6
 22
 3,001

To Find Out

Spike was furious. Meditation didn't work, he had nothing to punch, and for a second he thought about jumping out of the window. Except Rarity had seen him. If he left now, it would upset her. Claws flew this way and that as he ranted off to his silent friend. "How could she do this to me! She knows the work we do isn't pretty! How could she give me a mission the same time Twilight and everypony was going to be there! It's bad enough Rarity and Rainbow had to see in Ponyville, now the rest get a peek at this bloody war! Uhh!" He spun and pointed a claw at Macintosh, who just kept on reading his book. "And don't you tell me she didn't know! Even as a princess, Twilight has to tell her precious mentor every little detail! Rahh!" Spike grabbed his head spines squeezed his elbows on his temples.

Finally, Macintosh set his book down and took off his small pair of reading glasses. He cleared his throat loudly. He looked up at the upset drakos, a small smile and an eyebrow raised.

A claw pointed into his face. "You shush up.... you! Your sister is out there too! What would she think of your new profession?!"

Macintosh lowered his head and looked away. Moments later, his head lifted a little and nodded towards his companion. Eyebrows wiggled at him.

Spike flung his claws into the air. "You're hopeless." He flopped down onto his seat and laid back. Soon a smile crept onto his face. "She was beautiful, and I did have a good moment with her. I thought she would be upset after the whole Bloody fiasco. I figured that maybe after this whole war business was over, we could start from where we all left off." He paused as he inspected his claws. "But that whole plan revolves around them not knowing what kinda blood I have on my claws. It would take awhile, but we could've gotten back to who we were."

Macintosh went back to reading, glasses in place and focus set. He lightly shook his head. "Nope."

Glaring, Spike snarled out. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Macintosh's eyes never left the pages. "You're changed, no goin back, but still who you were. Just older and new experience. You'd have ta forget all our dead buds to get back like that." He lifted his eyes to the drakos. Words rarely left his lips, unless they were important. "Can you forget Sunrise? And even if'n ya could, would you?" His eyes went back to his book. "Ta forget the past is ta repeat it. If we forget this war, it woulda been for nothin and have to do it all again."

Spike rubbed his eyes in aggravation. "I hate it when you're right, especially when I'm wrong." Raising, stretching, he walked to the door.

The voice behind him stopped him. "Tomorrow."

A growl escaped his lips. "Chatty today, aren't we?"

"Eeyep."

Spike smiled, back still to his friend. "Goin out for a smoke. "Night."

His reply was simple. "Welcome."

Rarity couldn't sleep, seeing Spike and her friends unknowingly giving her a hard time had shaken her up. So she decided to be in the place this whole mess started. She laid down on the metal grating where she had when she talked to Spike. Something was bothering him and he wouldn't talk about it. Further more, she could not talk to any of her friends because they didn't know Spike was on the train. It would not do to reveal such knowledge without his consent and he seemed adamant in his reply. So much in thought was she, that she failed to notice her new companion.

Big Macintosh sat next to Rarity, book on hoof, and cleared his throat loudly.

Jumping, she turned to the red pony. "Oh, excuse me. Sorry dear, you startled me. Is there anything I could do for you?"

He turned his head to face her, an eyebrow raised as he looked over his glasses.

She looked at him apologetic, a hoof to her chin. "I'm sorry dear, I am not as apt as Applejack nor Spike at reading your facial expressions. Those are a nice pair of small, wire rimmed glasses though. Are you nearsighted?"

He smiled as he shook his head. A tap of his book explained it though.

"Ah, reading glasses. I have to wear them too, to read and sow. It can be quite a bother at times but I do feel a bit more sophisticated wearing them though."

He shook his head happily as he set his book down. He placed one hoof on her shoulder and tapped his other on her head.

It took a moment of a confused look on her face, but understand. "Ah, you're curious as to what's bothering me. Well it is just some trivial little thing. No need to worry."

"Spike?"

"The pompous, brooding jerk." Her hooves flew to her mouth, she had not ment to say that. "Oh dear, sorry, that just came from nowhere! Please don't tell him I said that!"

He waved a hoof her way to calm her.

"Sorry again about that. It's just, what is stopping him from wanting to come back to us? I fear he despises himself now, and sees we do not want him."

"Do you?"

"Yes, we all want him back!"

"Nope, do you?"

Shock covered her face as she turned to the red pony. "Gah, what?"

He smiled into his book. "Eeyep."

Narrow eyes glared at him for awhile. "Leave out that last bit when you tell him please. I don't want to complicate his life right now. I'm also a bit embarrassed that it took so long to fully comprehend just what I felt for him. He is a dear, and I do not want to hurt him. What should I do Big Macintosh? You know him better than most now, what do I do?"

A shrug was his only reply as he turned a page.

She lowered her head and teared up a little. "You are right, this is my decision, I should make it. Thank you, I'm feeling tired, sleep will help." Standing, she leaned on the reading pony a moment. "Thank you for listening to this young mare's rant."

When she was out of earshot, the red pony stood and stretched. "Welcome." He picked his book up and smiled through the spine.

He went to bed, but not before smiling knowingly at his snoring companion. With a swift kick, Spike was up, weapon drawn.

Spike rubbed his eyes when he recognized his attacker. "I was having a lovely dream too, Rarity decided that I was not cute but awesomely rugged. Boring out there?"

With a smile on, he laid down. "Nope." Then he was asleep.

The train pulled into the Crystal Empire station. Rarity was last of her friends to board the platform. She searched almost frantically for a sign of Spike, while of course keeping her ladylike composure. She saw no sign of her friend.

They stopped as the were confronted by a saluting young unicorn colt in guardpony armor. He was yellow with a black mane sticking out of his helmet. "Welcome princess Twilight, and to you as well ma'ams. The Elements of Harmony welders are to be under the protection of me and my squad. I am lieutenant Bumble Bee and we are a special forces squad. We are here for your safety so any and all activity must be passed by me or my superiors. At all times, one or all of you must have at least one guard with you. May I show you to the castle ma'ams?"

Before anypony could protest to these new rules, Rainbow Dash jumped onto Twilight's head. "Did you say Bumble! You work with Sunrise! Tell me where he is, is he doing good?!" She settled down and got off of Twilight's head. Rubbing the back of her head, she tried to act cool. "Eh heh, well you know. Sup, how's it going?"

A sad look came over the yellow colt, and Rarity's heart sank. She exchanged knowing looks with Applejack, but before anypony could say anything to the oblivious rainbow maned mare, they heard a scream.

"What!!! No!!!" A purple and brown blur zipped past them towards the castle. Big Macintosh stood not too far from them and saluted Bumble, who saluted in response.

"Sir, what are your orders."

The red pony made a circular motion with his hoof before pointing at the castle. His sister went to approach him, but was meet with a quick look before he left to the other side of the train platform.

"Ahem, ma'ams." They all turned back to the yellow lieutenant. "Let's make way to the castle, the captains will meet us there as well as the rest of our squad." He checked his sword on his back and held a spear close with magic. "This way please."

He began to walk toward the castle, Twilight not far behind, rolling her eyes. One by one her friends followed until Rarity felt Fluttershy grab hold of her. "R-Rarity, I'm scared. Why does he need the weapons. Last time they didn't need spears. What's happening?"

She patted her friends head. "Don't worry dear. We have Spike and Big Macintosh to watch over us. Plus Shining Armor and all of us, nothing will happen to you." Although in the back of her head, her thought was 'I hope'.

He was furious and the pink princess in front him had no trouble seeing that. "Why in the Hell am I just now hearing that we are permanently stationed here?! And that we play babysitter between missions!"

Cadence looked sympathetically at Spike. "Listen Spike, I'm not thrilled about the situation either. With you on the front, this war ends sooner, although I am scared for you out there. You were brought here by Celestia to guard the Elements of Harmony as they hopefully defeat Sombra. He has become the biggest threat in this war, even the duke obeys his orders. He is also using dark magic to enhance his drakos troops, our own troops can't keep them back for long. We need you here to keep the empire safe. Could you imagine what would happen if King Sombra got a hold on its power and used it to help the drakos in the war?"

His shoulders slumped and he sighed. "Valid point, but Twilight can handle him, right? I still need to take out the duke."

"We believe the Elements will work on Sombra alone, we need you and your ponies to give them that chance. As for the duke, Celestia has informed me that spies noticed the duke stalking you. It is likely he has come here to fight you again."

The scales on Spike darkened. "Blackie! You mean to tell me I've had plenty of chances to end this war!"

Cadence hung her head sadly. "Perhaps, but we shall never know now. I just hope we can make the Crystal Empire the final battle of this war!" She looked up at Spike and understanding crossed her face. He was upset still, there was more to it than the war. "It's your friends, you don't wish to see them?"

His scales returned to normal as he exhaled. Sorrow filled his voice. "I made the mistake of letting Rarity and Rainbow Dash seeing the killer I am, and I know it scared them. I don't wish to show the rest of them my depravity."

A soft smile came across her lips. "What I was told was that they were grateful to a brave knight who saved their town and families."

"But I didn't. Rarity's father died, and I couldn't save him. A true knight and king would have been able to see that outcome and acted before the evil deed. I sat around and enjoyed my time until it was too late."

Cadence went to say more but was interrupted by the entrance of the Element bearers. Twilight stopped in her tracks as did the rest. Tears filled her eyes, it had been three long years since her assistant, no, family had left her. Now he stood before her, ashamed, upset, with tears of joy in his eyes.

His arms spread wide. "Well, will her majesty greet her old assistant or does he have to tackle her for a hug." She was soaring through air before he was done speaking. Her hooves were tightly around him, and she showed no sign of release.

He picked her up as she clung to him. He walked towards the rest of their friends. "Come on gals, let's meet the rest of the boys, then bed time. Sorry Twi, gotta let you down."

Bumble stood in front of six armored and armed ponies. He addressed the six mares in front of him. "Hello again your highness, ma'ams, captains. We will be your guard ma'ams. I am lieutenant Bumble Bee. I am in charge of all military activity under the captains. This here is our medic Hawkeye Pierce."

He pointed to a green unicorn pony with an orange mane poking out of his helmet. He wore simple camouflage drab with only a medical bag on him. "Hello ladies, welcome to war. Like the rugs? Much better than the ones in the desert, they were full of sand."

Bumble, Spike, and the rest of the guard ponies rolled their eyes at Hawkeye. "Sorry, he is a little weird. Next we have sergeant Cloudcutter, our scout."

Bumble pointed to a bright orange pegasus with a dark blue mane. He was silent as he inspected the mares. He spoke softly. "I see everything, don't leave our sights."

Bumble nodded. "Best pair of eyes in the guard. This is corporal Cliphoof."

The brown pony raised a hoof in a sloppy salute. "Third gen guard ladies. Will keep you safe to the end."

"This is corporal Burns."

A scarred, maneless pink pegasus raised his hoof to his throat. A large burn mark was present.

"Sorry, he's mute, but very reliable. A hero if I ever saw one. This is private Brass."

A dark blue pegasus with a dark green mane spoke up. "Don't care for reg. Got sent here to be out of the way. Happy for it cause these guys are right. Life before order."

"This is our newest recruit. Private Hammer."

A lime green pony scratched the back of his head. "I've only been with these guys for a few days so I'm not as qualified as the rest, but I follow orders and will do everything I can to help."

Rainbow Dash jumped I'm front of Bumble. Her muzzle was inches away from his. "Ok, now where is Sunrise? He was still with you guys in his last letter!"

With a heavy heart, Spike put a hand on her shoulder. "Rainbow Dash, we gotta talk, in private."

Rarity looked through the doorway at Spike as he talked to Rainbow Dash. She felt Twilight and the rest behind her. "What happened Rarity?"

"I don't know Twilight, but I hope that it is not what I think it is."

She noticed Spike take off a set of the dog tags from around his neck and hand them to Rainbow Dash. The blue mare raised her hooves to her mouth as her head turned and she collapsed. Realizing that she was right, Rarity turned and walked away.

Pinkie Pie jumped up and down behind their friends. "I wanna see, I wanna see. What's happening?"

Rarity got angry at her friend. She shouldn't have, Pinkie Pie did not know what was going on, but she was.

Luckily Applejack intervened. "Stop jumpin Pinkie, this ain't good news."

Fluttershy lightly touched Applejack and managed to squeak out. "What's going on? Why is Rainbow Dash so sad?"

Applejack raised her back legs and kicked the wall, leaving a hole. Anger was all her face showed as she sneered. "I need air."

Fluttershy backed fearfully into Twilight. "Sorry, don't be mad." Tears ran down her face.

Applejack stopped at the door and glanced back. "I'm not mad at you sugarcube. Just mad." Then she was gone.

Rarity put a hoof on her crying friend's shoulder, tears running down her own face. "Fluttershy, I need you to be brave for me ok."

The yellow pegasus nodded into her front legs.

"Good, thank you, Rainbow is really going to need you. What Spike gave her is used to identify soldiers, and if he has Sunrise's it can only mean..." She clenched her eyes shut. A hoof stroked her shoulder and she looked into Pinkie Pie's watering blue eyes. "It could only mean they have both lost a dear friend."

Rarity watched as all her friends cried with her. They cried until Spike entered the room and everypony went to comfort their friend. She stayed behind with the purple drakos though. "That could have been you. We all knew that you were in danger, but it just now strikes home. That could have been you and we would be left with two pieces of metal."

His eyes were red and puffy as he stared at her. "It should have been me, until he jumped in the way."

Rarity lowered her head. Shame filled her as she felt gratitude at the ponies death. "Please don't die. I... We can't lose you."

He turned to leave. A goofy smile was on his lips but it did not reach his eyes. "No promises, you know how reckless I can get. Always out for a thrill. Plus somebody has to get this war to end." With that he was gone.

Out the window, Rarity saw Big Macintosh and Applejack crying together. In the other room, her other friends cried together. For her, she curled into a ball and sobbed alone. Every tear was for her dear friend who had practically just told her, he had signed his own death warrant.