• Published 17th Jul 2013
  • 415 Views, 5 Comments

Midnight Guardian: Equestrian Operator - Broniesrponies2



Midnight Guardian, Luna's royal guard and protector has a mysterious past, covered up by Celestia. As Luna tries to find out what her guard has been through, can she understand the terror that might have beset her home? Or the soldier who stoppe

  • ...
 5
 415

Back to Basics

Luna sat in her chambers, a stack of boxes sitting in the cupboard. The night had begun and she had looked through the top papers from the first box. They were Midnight's test scores. He showed a high resistance to PTSD and other, similar disorders/conditions. He also displayed high intelligence and innovation. General Lightning had given an order, demanding recordings of Midnight's training, including weapons proficiency, magical potential and reactions in various circumstances. It appeared that Midnight had a fan.

Luna used her magic to lift a crystal from the first box and looked at the notations etched into the side.

Midnight Guardian

Day 1 of training

Sergeant K. Gummy

She cast Celestia's spell, letting herself slide into the memory.

I viewed the field, watching the twenty tired ponies assembling into ranks. A few didn't show it though. It was strange, normal guard training had the recruits getting up at 0600 while we had them up at 0300, but some of them didn't even look tired. There was that navy blue Midnight Guardian in the front rank, the pony that General Lightning had personally instructed me to watch. He stood there, staring at a point just over my shoulder, maintaining the 1000 metre stare of a professional operator. Most ponies looked like this by the end of training, provided that they didn't wash out, but some started off this way, and they seldom failed.

I began the hazing officially, taking in a huge breath, ready to bawl at the ranks of recruits.

"Sir, permission to speak, sir?" shouted Midnight.

I let the breath out. This was completely new. He had been out of training for a year and into the rather relaxed ranks of the Canterlot Palace Guard, but he spoke with perfect diction. The proper syntax of the request had been observed. I decided to let his speak.

"Permission granted recruit, but make it quick!" I shouted, keeping anger out of my voice as I did so.

"Sir, I don't believe that you will make me, or any of the recruits leave through any speech. All of us know and remember the correct syntax for communications during training. As such, any speech making would be burning through the day to no profit. I propose that we skip it and head directly to drills, sir!" Midnight shouted. It was a well placed argument and I agreed. My speech almost never made anyone quit, even though that was what it was designed to do.

"Very well then recruit. You are now the platoon leader. Training here is done differently, and I will be the one training you. You will be the one to lead your platoon through the drills. I say do it and you have to organise the people to my satisfaction to get the job done. For starters, and your quick interruption, your platoon can run ten laps around the base. I expect squad division and a list of squad leaders ready by dinner tonight. Come to my office after calisthenics to receive the data on your platoon," I shouted at them. Several of the ponies began to turn to begin running. Midnight stood there, eyes still fixed on that point over my shoulder.

"Did I say move?" he shouted, halting those who had begun to trot. Only then did he turn.

"When I am given an order, you do not carry it out until I instruct you to! That means that instead of the disorganized rabble that would be running, we can have a nicely ordered column. That means form up, rows of two. Keep formation through all ten laps. Do you understand?" Midnight yelled.

"Yes Platoon Leader!" replied the other recruits. I sat back, impressed. This colt showed real leadership capability. I watched them as they began to run to the gateway of the base, moving at a brisk canter that would allow them to run the full ten laps without undue discomfort. As they ran, I heard a brisk "One, two, one, two" coming from Midnight at the front of the column. I felt like this platoon's chances I the games this year were going to be good. Conjuring a letter to General Lightning, detailing the events of the past ten minutes, I sent it to him with a quick teleportation spell. I got a reply almost immediately. It had only one word written on it.

Impressive

Luna pulled herself out of the barely started memory to find a map of the base that the training had taken part on. She found it in the second box with details about the training regimen, duty rosters and other utility information. She pulled it out and took a look at it. The base was big. Really big. It had a circumference of five kilometres. She thought back to the memory and shook herself before lying back on her bed.

This was going to be harder than she thought. To see what Midnight had been through, without being able to change anything would be difficult. But what would be more difficult would be watching how much pain he would have to go through. She looked back at the map.

No, I will go through with it. For him!

Author's Note:

The writers block was back for a rematch at the beginning of this chapter. Fortunately, I am amazing and managed to punch blockage in the face and kick it to the moon. The rest of the chapter took one hour to write. Something I need to clarify now. During the memories, if the originator of said memory knew something before I mention it, they will be used to it and will know what they are talking about. The games mentioned by the sergeant will be elaborated on in the future. If you get lost, don't worry. Luna gets lost when these things crop up as well. That will be normal. Let me know if you lose the general thrust of events though. That isn't normal.

The thing is that this is a far more serious and mysterious fic than Luna's Boredom Cure. It will have confusing moments and plot twists. But in the long run, it will be a pleasure entertaining you and happy reading.

Comments ( 5 )

Props to you, dude. I love these dark fics, and I can see HUGE potential in this. This is moving much slower than your other story, and I gotta say I think I like it better because of that. One question though, have you thought about ringing part of this into Luna's Boredom Cure? Like maybe vinyl would blunder in on Luna, and activate one of the crystals or something?

2914785
The pacing has to be slower so that I can put 3-4 chapter sessions in the space between 1-2-3 chapters of Luna's Boredom Cure. To keep you knowledgeable of where this story is in relation to Luna's Boredom Cure, my plan is to say which chapter Luna's searching begins in and then mention that whatever chapter is the final chapter of that session with Luna. Its more complicated than that really but this comment is about to get really long.
I don't see Vinyl activating a crystal, but I could see Vinyl walking in on Luna while she is using a crystal. God, I make it sound like pony drugs XD.
Anyway, I might do that. It is a good idea. My only problem is Vinyl keeping secrets. She drinks a lot (in this Equestria anyway) and not many people keep secrets when drunk unless they aren't asked direct questions. Octavia is exactly the kind of pony who asks those kinds of questions. Luna is going to be a bit more respectful to Midnight in Luna's Boredom Cure and will find reasons to give him nights off so that she can look into his past more. And I just thought of how to keep Vinyl's mouth shut. Find out in 2 maybe three chapters.
Most importantly, I'm glad that you're enjoying it.

Am I the only one who misses this fic? Will you be updating this soon? Or after you finish one of the others?

3014503
After an update to A Lost Soul, then one to LBC, this is getting an update. I'm sorry everyone, this story has not been forgotten. I just haven't had much time for writing.

Login or register to comment