• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 2,983 Views, 240 Comments

Scootaloo's Guardian - Dirty Bit



Scootaloo always wanted at least somepony to keep her company in her life. Then this happens...

  • ...
13
 240
 2,983

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Step by Step

Scootaloo woke up from her slumber as daybreak rolled in. Giving a large yawn, she got up and stretched her limbs and tiredly trotted into the living room to check on Astaroth.

She figured he would rest himself, but to the orange filly's surprise, she found Astaroth in the same position as last night when he was reading the first Equestrian history book given to him 'Okay, that's just wierd...Since when does a guy like him NOT sleep at night? Maybe he's some kind of night-loving monster...' Scootaloo trotted over to Astaroth's side as he flipped another page so she could speak with him again. When she noticed the amount of pages being held in his left hand, it seemed he was done with over half the book ever since yesterday.

Astaroth was now on the part involving Princess Celestia having to banish Nightmare Moon into the very moon she had raised all her life, and for 1000 years to boot. This intrigued the dark golem, to think that somepony in this world held that kind of power. He only imagined what he could do with such power coursing through his veins. In fact, he began to daydream...

( Look after the 0:54 mark )

Scootaloo noticed the dark golem smiling to himself, and felt the need to snap him out of his daydream "Good morning, Astaroth!" He turned and saw Scootaloo with a friendly smile "Didn't expect somepony like you to just stay up all night. Do you like reading that much or something??"

Astaroth scowled and glared at the orange filly "No...I don't...Leave me alone, runt! I don't have time for you!" He goes back to reading his book. It was as if he wasn't going to be a better friend to the orange filly any time soon.

Scootaloo frowned at this and trotted closer to him "You know, I wasn't kidding when I said we're going to be stuck together for the time being. The least you could do is talk to me! Or maybe we could play a game to pass the time. I mean, it's nice to know I have somepony to be around other than my friends, but it's so BORING!"

The dark golem gritted his teeth and twitched an eye with how annoying Scootaloo sounded to him. He clenched a fist as he went to go shut the orange filly up, but then a new voice entered the room "Scoots! Are ya in here?? It's me an' Sweetie Belle again!" No doubt it was her fellow crusaders visiting again.

Scootaloo heard the voices and smiled a bit "Well, at least it's not all boring..." She noticed Applebloom and Sweetie Belle trot inside of the ruined house over to her and Astaroth and she approached them with glee "Hey, girls! What's up?? Anything new going on today??"

Applebloom scratched the back of her head with a hoof "Well, not really, no...It's jus' not th' same when we're hangin' out in town without ya, Scoots. How's it goin' with you an' Mr. Grumpy over there??" She gave Astaroth a slight glare, not too happy with his presence.

The orange filly looked back at the dark golem and gave a sheepish grin "Well...we're getting along fine! Just fine! Right, Astaroth??" She felt guilty lying to her friends like this, but she did not want them to risk their lives to try and make things better. Scootaloo was only acknowledged by the dark golem with a scoff as he flipped another page.

Applebloom shot Scootaloo a deadpan look, knowing that she couldn't possibly do well with Astaroth, especially with how he acted towards all three of the crusaders. Sweetie Belle tilted her head in confusion "You mean to tell us that you're actually doing well with him? Is he getting better at all??" She gave a hopeful smile and waited for an answer.

Scootaloo gave her friends another sheepish grin as she replied to the unicorn filly "He hasn't caused me serious pain...That's something good...right??" She gave an awkward chuckle, while she noticed how Applebloom wasn't convinced at all "Really, he hasn't! The only thing I dealt with while watching him was being flung to a wall and almost being choked to death! If anything, that's something, right??"

The yellow filly gave a sigh with how persistent her fellow crusader was being in terms of speaking good about Astaroth. What could Scootaloo possibly see in the dark golem that makes her want the two to be friends? She trotted over to Scootaloo's side and placed a hoof on her shoulder "Y'all are about as hard-headed as Rainbow Dash, an' that's sayin' something, Scoots. But if yer dead set on wantin' Astaroth to be a better...whatever-he-is...then it's only best that me an' Sweetie Belle should help ya! Us crusaders gotta stick together after all!"

Sweetie Belle looked at Astaroth and shook at his sight, remembering both times she was hoisted up by her head with the dark golem's remarkable strength 'Why does he have to be so mean?? And why can't I be that strong when I'm with my friends??' As much as she wanted to think about this, Sweetie Belle heard Applebloom's words and was compelled to agree with her on the matter with a determined nod. She couldn't bear to have Scootaloo handle Astaroth all on her own, and it was her job as a cutie mark crusader to be with her friends to the end.

Scootaloo looked down and sighed in defeat, but then looked up with a smile "Thanks, girls...It really means a lot to know you have my back. Maybe we can do a better job this time!" The crusaders jumped up and gave a three-way high hoof, and then huddled as they began to formulate ideas to better approach Astaroth in secrecy.

Meanwhile, at Ponyville Train Station, some ponies were waiting for the train to board so they could either welcome visitors and tourist or catch the train for business purposes. They were satisfied to see the train come into view and reach the station as it came to a halt. The doors on the passenger carts opened, and some of the ponies on the station floor took a few steps back to give the departing passengers some travel space. What they didn't expect was one of the folks that came out of the cart.

While some of the passengers trotted out of their carts, they looked back with discomfort and slight fear as the cloaked man stepped out after them. They quickly scramble to the side as he casually walked past the other ponies with scythe in hand, taking in his surroundings with a hardened and stoic expression on his face.

'Trying to find the shards in secrecy has grown to be a real bother knowing that they can be found in certain crowds...' The man thought to himself as he made his way into town. Everypony around him stopped what they were doing as they gawked at his sight, and some began to whisper behind his back. As he strode town square, he stopped and remembered something of utmost importance as he looked around 'Where is it...' He carefully scanned each building in his sight, and then noticed a large tree in the distance 'There...' The cloaked man made his trek towards his next destination.

At Ponyville library, Twilight was enjoying lunch with Spike while reading a book as they took a small break from their duties. It pained the lavender bookworm knowing that anypony even felt like visiting the library nowadays, but at least it gave her some time to relax (Although most of the thanks goes to Spike for coaxing her into actually relaxing...). As they enjoyed their meal, Twilight felt it was best to start a conversation "Say, Spike...What are your thoughts on vampires??"

This caught the purple dragon's attention while he was enjoying a fine piece of turquoise "Huh? Wait, you mean those blood sucking ponies of legend? But I thought they don't exist. What's gotten you hooked on them, Twi?"

Twilight flipped a page "Well, with what that book on Soul Edge had to offer, it made me wonder if humans ever had myths similar to our own. Vampires intrigued me the most with how they were presented in folklore, and I only wonder if they existed during their times. I mean, this is a race that we barely have no knowledge about! I should probably grab the girls or anypony interested in learning about this book!" She beamed at the thought of uncovering lost mysteries and using them to better Equestria in its likeness.

Spike raised an eyebrow "While the book's good and all, Twilight, don't you think you're thinking about this 'human' stuff too much? I doubt learning about their culture would actually benefit Equestria, especially since it's doing well enough as it is. Also, why mix them in with vampires? Would we want to imagine something that hasn't been seen by ponykind as something scary? I don't think that's a good idea..."

The lavender bookworm sighed "You're probably right. Besides, knowing how busy everypony is now and then, I guess they wouldn't take the time to actually look at human history." She then moaned like an unhappy child "But why couldn't that book provide me with more on their history?? All it gave me were some certain details about them and the swords known as Soul Edge and Soul Calibur!"

Spike chuckled at this "Sheesh, you're really obsessed with them aren't you? There's no point in fussing about them, Twilight. I mean, knowing that they actually were around BEFORE Equestria, then shouldn't they have died out along with their history??"

Twilight looked down and considered this thought. She was surprised that Spike actually listened to what she had to say about how old humans were, but her assistant proved a good point in knowing that their race was beyond extinct. She then turned back to Spike "I guess you're right. Also, getting back to the topic on vampires, I suppose that they probably never had those in their time..." The two perked up when they heard the front door open and shut, and Twilight turned to her assistant "Spike, could you go see who's at the door, please??"

The purple dragon gave a thumbs up "I'm on it." He hopped up and began walking to the door, and began thinking to himself 'I can't believe how Twilight is with what she talks about. Vampires is one thing, but humans? PSSH! Gimme a break...' He reached the entrance while looking away 'Not to rag on her or anything, but how could their be such a thing...as...hu...mans...' As he looked to see who was at the door, his eyes grew wide as dinner plates when he noticed the visitor.

He beheld the sight of the cloaked man in awed silence, while he looked down at Spike with his own silence. The purple dragon's jaw dropped and he stammered quietly as he continued staring at him. After a minute of babble, the cloaked man broke the ice "This is Ponyville Library, correct?" he spoke in a calm and deep tone as Spike stopped stammering and slowly nodded "I'm looking for a certain book...Where is the librarian??"

Twilight did not recognize the voice of who was at the door, but when she heard her presence was needed, she closed her book and hopped off of her chair "Be there in a second!" She trotted over towards the entrance "Welcome to Ponyville library, how may I hel-" She stopped and gasped like Pinkie Pie meeting a new pony as she spotted the cloaked man and his scythe.

He noticed the lavender bookworm and gave a light scoff as he spoke "It's good to know you are here...I require your assista-" he was interrupted as Twilight instantly zipped over to him and examined him from different angles at a breakneck pace.

The lavender bookworm couldn't hold her excitement as she examined him "Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! A human! An actual human! And the same one Doodle talked to me about! This is simply amazing!! Oh, I cannot believe this!!" She stopped in front of the man's feet and looks up at him "Who are you? And can you please tell me about human history? Oh, what are they like? Are they compatible in culture to ponies? Do they study magic as well?"

She continued bombarding the man with questions until he finally raised his free hand and signalled her to stop. He took a few steps past Twilight and Spike and then turned around to face them "While your questions are fit to be answered in detail, I'm in a bit of a hurry..." he spoke in a more serious tone "I want a book...A book on a sword known as Soul Edge...Do you have it??"

Twilight stopped for a moment and then smiled ear to ear "Of course! Wait right here!" She quickly galloped to the bookcase where she reshelved the ominous book and quickly yanked it out with her magic. She figured maybe the man could be connected with the book in a deeper level than when she had read it. The lavender bookworm then trotted over and levitated the book to the man with a grin "Here you go! I know this is probably asking too much, but could you maybe stay for a while so I can interview you on your life? I really want to know more about humans and you're just the right one for me!" She then stopped herself and cursed her leniency of manners "Oh, I'm sorry! I haven't really introduced myself! My name is-"

She was interrupted by the cloaked man, who had the book open in his free hand "Twilight Sparkle...Element of Magic...Owner of this very library..." He spoke in a monotonous tone as he flipped through a page. This left Twilight baffled upon his knowledge. Was this one familiar with how she had saved Equestria twice from certain doom? She had many questions, but she snapped out of it so she could move on with proper formality "And you are??"

The man sighed, figuring that he would at least send her off with a name in order to keep her occupied while he carries out his task "Zasalamel..." He flips through another page and paused, then spoke again "Does anyone else know about this book??" He asked in the same serious tone.

Twilight looked up at Zasalamel, then turned to see Spike, who was staring at the his scythe with awe. She then turned back to him and shook her head "No. Why do you ask? Is the book that important??"

Zasalamel only slammed the book shut with his free hand and then held it out in a dropping motion "...Yes..."

In that moment after he spoke, Twilight and Spike screamed when they noticed the book that she had given Zasalamel had spontaneously combusted, being engulfed in crimson flames. As he held the flaming book, he dropped it on the floor as every page burned to a crisp along with the cover.

Spike quickly sprang into action and went to the kitchen to get a bucket of water. Once he came back, he poured every drop of water onto the burning book. The flames then died out as the book laid in a small ruined heap, and Twilight couldn't help but look up at Zasalamel with a bewildered expression "What have you done!?"

The cloaked man clenched his free hand after the book had burned away "A favor..." he turned to take his leave as he pressed the front door with his hand "That book you had just read was a mistake from my past. No one alive is to know about its existence...Not your friends, your fellow element bearers, and especially not your ruler...unless you actually want more unnecessary casualities..." He opened the door and gave his last words "Heed my words, Twilight Sparkle...do not let your princess catch wind of this, or you shall doom your whole world..." he then went out and shut the door.

Twilight then quickly opened the door with her magic and hopped outside, darting her head left and right to find Zasalamel. To her surprise, he was nowhere to be found after he had closed the door. She noticed some of the ponies walking outside looked slightly unnerved and then turned to Spike "Spike, I need you to check on the library while I go around and ask some questions!"

Spike then scratched his head "But shouldn't we let Princess Celestia know about this? I mean, that was an actual human that just came into the library and burned an important book!"

Twilight looked down, wanting to do something about this as well, but remembered how serious Zasalamel sounded with his warning. She sighed in defeat and looked at Spike "Sorry, Spike...but this is gonna be the first time we don't send a letter to Celestia...If what he was saying is true, we have to stay on the safe side! Now can I trust you to keep the library in check?"

The purple dragon was astonished to realize Twilight would decide on such a thing. It was out of character to have her not send something to Celestia, even if it wasn't a letter on what she had learned about friendship. Knowing how the situation was becoming, he then nodded with a mock salute "You got it, Twi!"

Twilight nodded back with a satisfied smile as she galloped into town and began her search for answers.

While the lavender bookworm, along with the rest of Ponyville, were occupied with their tasks, Zasalamel was skillful enough to stealthfully drift through town from roof to roof with experience from certain assassin tactics and finally reach the outskirts of Ponyville, setting his sights for the Everfree Forest. He narrowed his eyes at the sight 'My search continues...' The cloaked man gripped the scythe in his hands and dashed into the forest entrance, embracing the dangers he was about to face.

End of Chapter 9