• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 2,983 Views, 240 Comments

Scootaloo's Guardian - Dirty Bit



Scootaloo always wanted at least somepony to keep her company in her life. Then this happens...

  • ...
13
 240
 2,983

Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Friendship with Astaroth

At Scootaloo's home, the Cutie Mark Crusaders banded together and readied themselves for the hardest task ever presented to them: Making Astaroth one of the most friendliest monsters Equestria has ever seen. Scootaloo was more than confident in getting the dark golem to be likeable with the time she had spent with him, even if it has been only a day.

Applebloom gave a nod and focused her attention on her fellow crusaders with a determind glance "Alright, crusaders! Let's all agree on our first idea on how t' make Astaroth a better friend! Since food's outta th' question, Ah vote we should play a game he likes! Well, if he even DOES like games...What say th' the rest o' ya?"

Scootaloo gave a quick glance to Astaroth reading his book, then turned back to her friends "It's not a bad idea when you look at it. The big guy does seem like the athletic type with those muscles of his! But, I don't even know if kickball's a good idea...I'll bet he could launch the first ball he touches into outer space if he wanted to!" She put a hoof on her chin and thought of other games the dark golem would enjoy.

Sweetie Belle was almost stumped until she gasped in joy "I know! What if we made him laugh??" This caught her friends' attention as she continued "Think about it! Sometimes even the most meanest monsters need a little laughter to better themselves! If we could just find some way to put a smile on Astaroth's face, we'll be sure to get on his good side!" She looked down "But what should we do..." Pinkie Pie came to mind, until Sweetie Belle remembered the promise she made to Scootaloo about revealing her home.

Applebloom tilted her head at this, but then gave the unicorn filly's idea some thought "Hey, yeah...Maybe yer ont' somethin', Sweetie Belle. But what do we have that could make 'im laugh? Cuz' lemme tell y'all somethin': Ah DON'T wanna tickle somepony like him, especially with all them nails stickin' outta his body! Should we tell 'im some jokes?"

Scootaloo turned to Astaroth "I don't really know what he finds funny, but it's a long shot if we could get on his good side! We'll go with this idea first and fall back to other suggestions if it doesn't work out. And hey! If we're lucky, we could possibly get a cutie mark from this! Are we all in??"

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle shared determined smiles and nods as they raised their hooves in the air and proclaimed in unison:

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADER COMEDIANS! YAY!"

This sudden outburst snapped Astaroth out of his reading as he turned to see the three fillies smiling innocently at him. He sneered and gave a growl as he went back to reading 'Those maggots better keep their distance if they know what's good for them...' Sadly, his thoughts were not confirmed as they advanced towards the dark golem with their same smiles. Scootaloo cleared her throat as she got Astaroth's attention again, and the crusaders got ready for their quickly-planned comedy routine.

Scootaloo, upon gaining the dark golem's attention, was the first to speak as the other crusaders stood behind "Hey, Astaroth! With how cranky you are ever since we first met you, it hit me! You just need to get your funny bone working after all those years you've spent sleeping underground! So with me are Applebloom and Sweetie Belle to help you find your sense of humor!" She grinned as the dark golem scowled at her without saying a word 'I hope this works!' The orange filly trotted over to her friends and prepared her first joke "Okay! What do ad posters and pegasi have in common??" She was met with Astaroth glaring at her for a few seconds, until she delivered the punchline "They're both fliers!" Scootaloo heard giggling, but it came from Applebloom and Sweetie Belle. The two fillies obviously thought the joke was funny to their tastes, but Astaroth only grumbled and narrowed his eyes.

Noticing Scootaloo's position after her fit of laughter, Applebloom stepped forward and turned to her friend "Not bad fer a first try, Scoots! Lemme take a whack at it!" She then focused on Astaroth, who was both unamused and annoyed "Okay, big guy! Ah hope you're ready fer this next joke, cuz it's sure t' have ya rollin' on th' floor laughin' like a hyena!" She took a deep breath and smiled "Why do cows use cowbells?" Astaroth glares at Applebloom in silence, whereas the yellow filly smiled widely "Cuz' they can't use their horns!" Her friends were found giggling at her joke, but the dark golem gave a growl, showing that Applebloom's attempt at comedy went up in smoke as well.

Sweetie Belle was worried that her idea of making Astaroth laugh, or at least smile, was not even close to working, and even more worried that it was her turn at doing so. She wasn't really the best when it came to making jokes, but upon remembering her determination of getting a possible comedy cutie mark, she trotted forward and passed Applebloom as she stepped back dejectedly. When she was close to Astaroth, the unicorn filly began to tremble at his sight 'Okay, Sweetie Belle, you can do this...Just try and make Astaroth laugh...It's that easy...' She cleared her throat and took a deep breath as she tried out her joke "S-So, a baby seal walks into a club..." she stopped herself and tried to remember how the rest went "Umm...uhhh..." Applebloom and Scootaloo feared for the worst and expected what would happen next, only to find Astaroth hesitating for a moment, and then giving a soft chuckle at her words.

Scootaloo was stupified to think that she and her friends would be successful in actually getting what seemed like a genuine laugh out of the dark golem. She turned to Sweetie Belle and hissed "Your joke is working, Sweetie Belle! Keep going!"

The unicorn filly never thought she would get this far, and she only stammered nervously as she spoke to her friends "But, I don't remember how the rest of the joke went! All I remember is the part with the baby seal walking into a club!" Astaroth was found laughing a little louder than before, gaining the crusaders' attention. The three beamed at their success and took the time to look at their flanks, only to find that there was no cutie mark to be found.

Another failed attempt at gaining a cutie mark was slightly depressing, but the three fillies were overjoyed to find Astaroth showing small signs of laughter. Perhaps there was hope in making the dark golem more likeable around others before actually showing him to Ponyville. Scootaloo trotted up to Astaroth with a grin on her face "I knew there was some good inside of you, Astaroth! Wanna hear another joke??" After finishing his laughter, he gave Scootaloo his signature glare, causing the orange filly's brightened mood to waver "...I guess that's a no..."

Scootaloo trotted back to her friends and gave a sigh "Okay, we got him to laugh at least...What's next?? Should we give singing a try??"

Applebloom rubbed her chin "Well, if we can get 'im t' laugh, we can surely get 'im t' sing with us! We jus' gotta find out what his favorite song is!" She looks over at Astaroth sitting down.

Sweetie Belle cringed as she looked at the dark golem with Applebloom "I don't think he's much of the singing type, girls...I mean, sure we got him to laugh, but can somepon-er, someone like Astaroth enjoy singing??" She stood up and looked back at her friends "Maybe we should try something else...how about we teach him some manners??"

Astaroth caught wind of the last set of words and rose up from his sitting position, leering at the three fillies "Did one of you worms issue a challenge??" The crusaders flinched and frantically shook their heads, making the dark golem slowly go back to sitting down and glare at the crusaders with both caution and hate. He picked up his book and went back to reading, but now has a second objective of keeping an eye on the fillies and what they are planning.

Scootaloo scratched the back of her head and turned to her friends "Yeah, we gotta choose our words more carefully around him. He tends to get pretty angry if you say the wrong thing..." She smiles sheepishly at them.

Applebloom points a hoof at the orange filly "But ya usually do that t' him no problem, Scoots! Is he really that used t' ya or somethin'?"

Scootaloo only looked away towards Astaroth, who kept a weary eye on her and her friends, and then heard Sweetie Belle speak "Maybe he is used to Scootaloo's company since he hasn't done TOO much to her, right?" Scootaloo turned to her unicorn friend as she continues "Why don't you talk with him while we figure something out on our own?? We could come up with an idea to make him better while you try and make him open up?"

Applebloom then chimed in "If th' big guy gets defensive, we'll be there fer ya! Jus' try not t' get on his bad side, okay, Scoots? We jus' got lucky with makin' 'im laugh!" She gave a smile that showed worry and confidence towards her orange friend.

Scootaloo returned Applebloom's smile with one of her own and nodded "Okay...Thanks for the vote of confidence, you two! I'll see what I can do to!"

With that, Scootaloo made her way towards the dark golem's side while Applebloom and Sweetie Belle widen their distance from the two and come up with more ideas. Astaroth watched the filly come closer and glared "What is it now?? Are you and your pathetic friends wishing to get rid of me with an unimpressive strategy??"

The orange filly was shocked to think he would say that, despite Applebloom's and Sweetie Belle's opinion of him, but she only shook her head "No way, dude! Sure, what you did to me and my friends yesterday was almost unforgiveable, but that doesn't mean we can't give you a second chance! We barely know much about you, you barely know much about Equestria, and we're here for you!" It sounded crazy coming from Scootaloo, but she meant every word of it on her part. She could only hope that her best friends could think the same way.

Astaroth raised an eyebrow at Scootaloo's words in slight confusion, only to quickly go back to his defensive glare "Since when do you even go so far as to help me, knowing that I'll possbly end you, runt? Are you touched in the head? Do you expect a favor out of this?" The dark golem had a history of being used as a slave by three different people, one out of choice for personal gain, and he wasn't ready to go back to that.

Scootaloo recoiled upon hearing Astaroth, and took his words into consideration. While she was happy to bring him back to life, she was welcomed with the dark golem wanting to kill her, and with how he was acting, it was as if her attempts at making friends with him were futile to begin with. It was logical to cast him away or be rid of him forever, but the orange filly did not want to give up her chance of growing up alone, even if Astaroth's behavior is beyond unacceptable to others. The orange filly wanted to do whatever she can to make Astaroth more friendly around her and her friends, and she'll make the effort if it was the last thing she does. She looks up at the dark golem with a determined glare and smiled "No. I don't expect any favors from you other than accepting my friendship! You're big, scary, and mean, but that's not gonna stop me from reaching you! I don't care if you'll act this way until one of us goes away, but I want to make us the best of friends!"

Astaroth stared at the orange filly, and then it turned into a glare shortly after. The two locked eyes in a small staring contest for a minute, only to have the dark golem begin to chuckle again. This broke Scootaloo's concentration to think he would laugh like this out of nowhere when there was no joke being told at the moment. The dark golem then spoke "You really are touched in the head...But like I said the other day, you have guts...Maybe I've much to learn from you yet from waking up to this world, runt."

The orange filly never thought she would get this much praise from Astaroth, and took the moment to quickly steel herself and stand proud with her chest puffed out "Maybe you do..." She spoke in an arrogant tone, though her inner feeling betrayed no joy of her accomplishment. It was as if she alone were meant to make Astaroth open up and be a better friend. She then looked up at him and smiled "So...now that we've established that little detail, how far are you on that book, Astaroth?"

The dark golem only scoffed and went back to reading "Don't push your luck! Get outta my sight, we're done here..." Scootaloo only looked up at Astaroth and sighed.

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were by the house's entrance as they were brainstorming ideas. They were unaware of Scootaloo's small breakthrough as they were lost in thought. As Sweetie Belle went to go suggest another idea, she noticed a pony outside in town galloping around frantically and stopping for other ponies. The unicorn filly got a good look as she squinted her eyes "Hey...is that Twilight out there??"

Applebloom snapped out of her thinking as she looked with her friend. The yellow filly watched Twilight converse with a colt "Is it really? Why's she runnin' 'round all frantic like? Is she lookin' fer somethin'?" She turned to Sweetie Belle with a questioning glance.

Sweetie Belle watched as Twilight tossed her head up and groaned, though she couldn't hear it from far away, then gallop towards another part of town "Maybe somepony forgot to return a book?? Or is she trying to look for another friendship problem?? We all know Twilight usually gets like this when something big happens in her eyes..."

The yellow filly cringed at the memory of Twilight making a friendship problem to solve for herself "Why th' hay does that pony have t' be so touchy with all th' little things? She's smarter than mah sister fer Pete's sake! Ah wonder if we should go out an' stop 'er before things get outta hoof..."

Sweetie Belle shook her head "No way! I don't wanna get involved with whatever Twilight's dealing with right now! What if it really DOES involve finding a friendship problem??"

Applebloom shivered "Good point...Let's jus' get back t' thinkin' o' somethin'..." She then noticed Scootaloo trotting back to her friends with a triumphant smile "Howdy, Scoots! Any luck with Astaroth??"

Scootaloo nodded with a smile "Not a whole lot, but it's something! Something's good, right?? But we gotta think of another good idea for him!" She then heard her stomach growl, and then grinned sheepishly "Right after some lunch..."

Applebloom went to speak until hers and Sweetie Belle's stomachs followed suit in growling, eliciting laughter from all three of the crusaders. The yellow filly spoke "Well, me an' Sweetie Belle can go get some food an' come back here with some fer you! We'll hafta stay clear o' Twilight, but we can manage jus' fine! Y'all jus' wait right here an' keep th' big lug entertained and we'll be right back!" She turned to Sweetie Belle who nodded with a smile and followed the yellow filly out the door.

Scootaloo waved to her friends as they went to grab food, and then rubbed her chin as she thought about why Twilight was acting the way she was 'I REALLY hope it isn't a friendship letter...Can't believe she made me fall in love with that crappy doll...' She trotted back towards the living room and sat at a spot a small distance away from Astaroth as she waited patiently for her meal.

Meanwhile, Astaroth was reading his history book until he noticed what seemed to be a topic of utmost importance.

'The Elements of Harmony? Hmm...'

End of Chapter 10