• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 2,983 Views, 240 Comments

Scootaloo's Guardian - Dirty Bit



Scootaloo always wanted at least somepony to keep her company in her life. Then this happens...

  • ...
13
 240
 2,983

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Sorting things out

Applebloom was more than confused to notice Scootaloo starting to cry after her small slew of questions she and Sweetie Belle asked her, and it only raised another "Scoots? Why are ya cryin'? Was it somethin' Ah said?" Her and Sweetie Belle looked upon the orange filly in confusion as she began to calm down.

Scootaloo never thougth she would see the day where she would have to come clean about her loneliness in front of her friends, but she was prepared for it as she spoke up, sniffling "I-It's nothing like that, but I can't keep it a secret to you two now. But before I tell you, I want you girls to Pinkie Promise that nopony should know about this! Nopony!"

The two fillies looked at Scootaloo in confusion, but could tell she was serious by her teary gaze and performed a Pinkie Pie Swear for her sake, gestures and all "Cross my heart and hope to fly! Stick a cupcake in my eye!" After their motions, they stood and stared at Scootaloo with expectant eyes on what she would say.

Astaroth had a mind to leave while they weren't looking, but he wondered if there could be some useful history behind the orange filly's story. He stood and listened as he crossed his arms and looked down at Scootaloo, who began her story with a deep breath "You know how you have your families and houses?" The two fillies nodded at this "Well...I..." She shuddered and clenched her teeth, then blurted out the truth "I have none of that! Nothing!! All those times I was hanging out with you guys every day, I've been all alone!"

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom gasped at this, and the unicorn filly spoke up "Is that why you were skipped on Family Appreciation Day? But you said that your mom was sick! Scootaloo, why didn't you tell us about this!? We're your friends!"

Scootaloo looked away "I know, I know...I never really knew my mom. It was hard living without one, and finding a place to live was even harder! I only kept my life a secret from you guys and everypony else because all I'll get from it is pity! You don't know how hard it is to be alone, with no one to look after or care for you at all." She began tearing up again "A-And now you know where I live, too..."

Applebloom looks around the damaged abode and turns back to her sad friend "Ya mean t' tell me this is where you live?? Scoots, I..." She felt betrayed that Scootaloo would keep a secret this big from her, but it was outweighed by how heartbroken she felt about her situation. The yellow filly could never be more right about Scootaloo getting pitied for her life, but she had a promise to keep.

Sweetie Belle felt worse after hearing this when she remembered insulting her home. She trotted up to the orange filly and nuzzled her with a sad expression on her face "I-I'm sorry about this, Scootaloo. But what'll you do now if this keeps up? Sure, we Pinkie Promised, but we don't want you living this! Anypony shouldn't be this way!"

Scootaloo wiped her tears as more formed in her eyes "I told you, I-I can stay with Astaroth!" She sniffled "H-He doesn't know anything about this place, he needs us, and he'll keep me company! It sucks sleeping by yourself, and it just...it just..." She begins to cry again, making her friends feel worse about her situation. They couldn't think of anything to say to cheer up her friend right now after hearing her sad story.

Astaroth was silent the whole time, and couldn't take his eyes off of Scootaloo as he unfolded his arms. He knelt down slowly and gently picked her up, making her face him as she continued crying. When he stood up with Scootaloo in her arms, he stared at her with his pupilless eyes, and then yelled at her with an angry expression "STOP CRYING, RUNT!" He certainly wasn't trying to comfort the orange filly, but he succeeded in stopping her crying. The crusaders stared at Astaroth with widened eyes at his gesture, and then he dropped Scootaloo again as he glared down at the filly "What the hell is so sad about being alone!? You're nothing but a hopeless wimp if this really bothers you! Show some backbone like you have earlier!!"

Applebloom was dumbfounded at how the dark golem acted, and glared up at him "Ah can't believe y'all could say such a thing! Being alone is horrible, and Scoots here is only a filly! Why doncha act more nice around th' pony that brought ya back, huh!? She needs somepony to be around!"

Sweetie Belle looked up at Astaroth and spoke as well "Were you alone in your life, Astaroth?? What was your life like before we met you??" While she did fear Astaroth, she was more than curious about his life before his ressurection.

Astaroth only turned to the unicorn filly, ignoring Applebloom's words, and growled "None of your business..." Sweetie Belle cringed at this. He turned back to Scootaloo "And you! You shouldn't even be sobbing about this matter! Get up and tell me about this world!" Scootaloo was staggering to get up since the drop added more pain to her small injuries. This angered the dark golem "Get up or I'll punt you through a wall..." he growled.

The orange filly grunted and struggled as she finally got her legs, then looked up at Astaroth with a tear-stained glare "You're such a jerk, you know that?" She wiped her tears "I mean, it's nice to know you stopped me from crying, but why do you have to be this way? Were you really alone in your life with no one to love you?"

The dark golem scoffed "I already told you, my life is none of your business! Now get to explaining! My patience is wearing thin..."

Scootaloo sighed, and did what she was told as her friends trotted to her side and comforted her "You're in Ponyville, in the world of Equestria. Princess Celestia rules this place, and she's a really nice pony, too! Right now you're standing in my house, which you kinda tore up, by the way..." She turned to the doorless entrance "It'll be hard, but we can try to help you while you're here..." She turned back to Astaroth, and widened her eyes at what she saw.

Astaroth had his hands on his hips while he was glaring down at Scootaloo with hate, and the orange filly remembered back to her dream in the dark desert. He had the same exact shape as the benevolent being she witnessed in her depressed stupor. Was Astaroth really the one she was searching for to rid her of loneliness? Surprisingly, her mood brightened when she got a good look at him and spoke in a better tone "Yeah! We can help you! And maybe all of Ponyville will like you, too!"

Sweetie Belle looked at Scootaloo as if she were insane, and tried to state her opinion on the matter "Scoots, while it's nice to know you'll help Astaroth, he'll stick out like a sore thumb once he steps through that door and walks into town! He needs to be cared for by us personally before he can interact with them! Not to mention, he's scary..." She shook at the sight of the dark golem looking down at the crusaders.

Applebloom continued glaring at him "That an' a big jerk! But Ah guess it doesn't really matter t' him...We just need t' teach him some manners if he's gonna be livin' here. That can't be too hard, right?"

Scootaloo rubbed her chin at the thought, and wondered if it were possible to make Astaroth a better person. If he really was the one for Scootaloo's troubles, she would oblige the thought no problem. It would be very hard, considering his first impression and all of the scars it left (Literally...). She looked up at Astaroth and smiled "I'm okay with it, since he's living with me and all."

Astaroth glared down at Scootaloo "You pretentious worm! What part of 'I refuse to live here' don't you understand!? Out of my way, I'm leaving this place!" He walks forward and shoves Scootaloo out of the way.

Scootaloo looked frightened as she galloped forward and tugged on his pants with her teeth, feebly pulling him back and being dragged by his strength "Wrrr! Ooo crr't gu oot rrr!! [Wait! You can't go out there!] She persisted even if his clothes were dirty at the touch of her mouth.

The dark golem stopped and noticed her latched onto his legs and swung it back, launching her away from him and making her tumble and bump into her friends like bowling pins. They were all dazed while Scootaloo was laying under her friends in a pile, and Scootaloo shook it off and noticed Astaroth reaching the entrance "Astaroth, no!!"

Astaroth placed one of his large hands on the doorway and took his first step out of the ruined house and noticed the change of atmosphere in the short distance. The sun got in his eyes as he covered his helmeted forehead with his other hand, and then observed the scenery in front of him. Everything was colorful and vibrant and there were more ponies in his sights. Each one was a different color, and some had wings while others had horns like the fillies he met earlier. They were busy either working or playing with smiles on their faces. Everypony was happy, able, and alive.

He hated this place already.

Remembering Scootaloo's words, he reluctantly crawled back inside of his new home while growling in disgust at the sight of the world he now resides in. If he had Kulutues or Soul Edge, he would gladly go outside and begin a killing spree, but for now he felt naked and lacked the proper knowledge of Equestria. Astaroth turned and walked back to the crusaders, who were busy recovering from the collision caused by him and narrowed his eyes down at them "I'm staying here..." His words were calm, yet still contained anger and hate.

The crusaders had their jaws dropped at his response, not expecting him to comply so easily. They began to smile at each other while thinking they were reaching out to him and then broke out in to a brief cheer.

Scootaloo trotted up to Astaroth with a grin "I'm so glad you're choosing to listen to us for a change! You won't regret this, Astaroth! Maybe if we teach you enough about friendship, everypony will adore you!"

Astaroth picked up Scootaloo with a firm grip and clenched his free hand into a fist "What would I want with friends!? I never agreed considering you miserable maggots as allies, let alone equals! This place is just alien to me and-"

The orange filly had a smug expression on her face "And you need us to know it better! While you can be all big, scary, and strong, you can't really do much around here if you don't have any guidance! Face it, Astaroth...you won't get far without our help, and that's what we're gonna do! You just got here, after all!" With all the time they spent, however short it was, Scootaloo was able to approach Astaroth better without much fear. She does know to keep her distance if he gets worse, but she hopes that she could possibly consider him to be the closest thing to family she has.

The dark golem was baffled at Scootaloo's gall, how she was able to be brave around his presence. It was as if the little pony had some kind of death wish. He wanted to strangle the life out of her, as he stated when he first woke up, and the look on her face was driving him closer to doing so. Giving a firm growl he dropped Scootaloo once more, this time on top of Sweetie Belle and looked down at the three "Quite a nerve on you...If I weren't so blind of this world, I'd gladly kill you...slowly..." This time, he grinned a little as he noticed a hint of fear on Scootaloo's face.

Applebloom stepped up "So since y'all are stuck here a,' stuff...What're ya gonna do exactly?" She looks around "There ain't much t' do but hide n' seek! An' we got crusadin' t' do!"

Sweetie Belle turned to her friends "Wait, girls! What about Astaroth? We can't just leave him here! We promised that we would tell him more about Equestria, and somepony like him shouldn't be left in one place unsupervised!"

The yellow filly turned to the dark golem and gave a grimace, both at his attitude and all of the possibly horrid scenarios that could occur if he were alone. She sighs and looks at her friends "Guess yer right, Sweetie Belle. But what should we do now, since th' big lug wants t' learn?"

Scootaloo was thinking, and then grinned when she turns to Applebloom "Applebloom, I want you to go to the library and grab some books on Equestrian history! That should help Astaroth figure out how the world works!" She then turns to Sweetie Belle "Sweetie Belle, I want you to head to Sugarcube corner and grab him some food! He's probably hungry ever since he woke up!"

Sweetie Belle tilted her head "But what about you? You're not actually gonna stay here with him, are you? You're all beat up!"

Upon inspection of Scootaloo's being, her friend was right on her condition. The wounds weren't going to heal themselves, and she was going to be stuck with Astaroth and keeping an eye on him. She nods to this and turns to Sweetie Belle with a sheepish grin "Yeah, so food AND a first aid kit..." she chuckles awkwardly. The orange filly noticed the worry on Sweetie Belle's face, and set her at ease with a look of determination "Don't worry about me, okay? I've had worse, and somepony's gotta keep an eye on him! Besides, I brought him to life, so he's my responsibility in a way!"

Scootaloo was lucky that she or her friends didn't notice the threatening gaze on Astaroth's face after what he had heard. He could only be patient for so long, but they did promise him knowledge to work with if he were to roam the world on his own. He kept his cool, knowing that killing the children would be too easy and it wouldn't benefit him on his quest for knowledge. They were going to personally deliver it to him, after all.

Applebloom trotted up to Scootaloo and gave her a pat on the shoulder with a smile "Ya really are a brave filly fer doin' this, Scoots..." She went to leave, but then gave Astaroth a stern look "Be nice t' her, ya hear?"

Astaroth pointed to the door "Begone! I don't take orders from you! I want my knowledge, and you're the one tasked for this!"

The yellow filly shook her head and groaned as she trotted out. She was beginning to loathe Astaroth more than Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Sweetie Belle gave Scootaloo one last look of worry before following after Applebloom out the door.

That left the orange filly and the dark golem alone once more. There was nothing but silence between the two of them, and Astaroth turned and walked away from Scootaloo and sat down in the ruined living room with his legs folded. He folded his arms as he slowly shut his eyes, wanting to rest.

He didn't anticipate that Scootaloo was standing on his lap, looking at him with a tilted head and a confused expression "Are you meditating?" The dark golem opened his eyes, then narrowed them when he noticed Scootaloo. He grabbed her by the head and chucked her away lightly as he closed his eyes again, the orange filly bouncing on the floor on her haunches when she landed. She looked back and glared as she trotted back to him "You could've just asked me to leave, you know!"

Astaroth opened his eyes again and glared at the orange filly "I'm resting...Go away..." He spat with malice.

Scootaloo should be happy he wasn't causing any trouble, but she didn't want to be ignored while she was tasked with keeping an eye on him. She wanted to know more about Astaroth and see if it were possible to make him more friendly around her and the other crusaders. She trotted closer "I just wanna talk to you for a minute, since it's just us here. Plus, you don't even seem tired...just cranky. Maybe you could use some company while you're asleep?"

Astaroth's glare never wavered as he repeated himself with a raised tone "Outta my sight, runt! I've no patience for you right now!"

The orange filly glared "I have a name you know! It's Scootaloo! Why can't you just call me and my friends by our names for once? Would it kill you to try and have a better attitude around us while you're here?" She was plucked from the ground by her head as Astaroth brought her to his face.

His glare was the same as he beared his teeth in anger "Get..." He readied his arm, and then tossed poor Scootaloo in another room "...LOST!" The orange filly bounced, and then rolled into a wall, causing small cracks as she laid upside down.

She was getting used to being smacked around, and she gave a saddened sigh at her predicament 'This guy's worse than Gilda...Hopefully some food might cheer him up...'

End of Chapter 5