• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 970 Views, 15 Comments

The Second Revival of a Heart: Ponyville Days - TheMessenger



Ash's continued (mis)adventures in Equestria. Watch as he fails miserably to integrate into Ponyville culture, again and again. No firebreathing demon lords this time, just Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
3
 15
 970

Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

Why Does it Always Rain on Me?

It was, of course, a matter of opinion but for Twilight, there were few things better than curling up with a good book, a warm blanket, and a delicious cup of hot chocolate during a rainstorm. Granted, it was still rather early so Spike wasn't up yet to make any cocoa. A pity perhaps but Twilight decided against waking her assistant and was willing to settle with just the book and the blanket, at least for the time being, and spent reminder of the early hour reading and listening to the hypnotic pitter-patter of raindrops against her home. Soon, the Unicorn found herself lost in mystic world of the preclassical era.

"This...isn't natural."

Twilight looked up from her book. "Pardon?"

Ash withdrew his hand from the window and closed it. He waved his hand around to rid of the loose droplets that clung to his skin before drying it properly on his trousers.

"The rain," he said, shifting his eyes back to the window. "It's not natural. There's magic in the air."

"Well, of course there's magic. The Pegasus control the weather," the Unicorn explained, flipping to the next page. "Pegasus magic," she added as Ash continued to stare blankly.

"Oh."

A few more pages were turned. "Hmm, I don't think this author did her research," Twilight said, mostly to herself. "Could you grab me Study on Star Swirl: Volume XI? It's on the shelf next to you."

The Mage bent down and began to scan the titles written on the book spines. "Let's see," he muttered as he searched. "S-t-u-d-y...s-t-u-wait, is that an 'S' or..."

A flash of light filled the library, followed shortly by several thuds. Twilight opened her eyes and bit back a groan. A number of tomes now littered the floor, along with a grey Unicorn stallion who was nursing the back of his head. "Is this it?" he asked weakly, grabbing the largest book within range and offering it.

"I really need to stop asking you for help during this hour," Twilight sighed and accepted The Daring Do Complication: Book 1-12 from the Human-turned-pony. "How did this even get on that shelf?" she wondered out loud. "This doesn't belong in here." With a shrug, she set the book back neatly and helped Ash out from beneath the miniature sea of books.

"Thanks," Ash said, rubbing the back of his head. "Here, uh, let me help clean up."

Twilight shook her head. "No, no, let me handle this. Every book has its proper spot and if one book is out of place who knows whether or not any of these belong here?" She shuffled through the first few titles before gasping and dropping them. "And if these books are out of place, who knows if any of them are on the right shelf? I'll have to add re-shelving to today's schedule."

"Is that really necessary?"

The purple Unicorn answered by sweeping every book in the library onto the ground with a single spell.

"What's going on?" Spike rubbed his eyes and yawned as he descended down the stairs. "And I was having this amazing dream about..." The baby dragon yawned again and stretched toward the ceiling. "Well, I can't remember now but it was an awesome dream."

"Wait, Spike, watch out f-"

Twilight's warning came too late as the dragon's foot landed on one of the many books laying around. Both Unicorns winced as Spike slipped and tumbled down.

"This is one way to start a morning," he groaned as he picked himself up. He rubbed his eyes at the sight of the mess before him and blinked. "Twilight," Spike said, folding his arms across his chest, "you know Re-shelving Day isn't for another month, right?"

"Of course I know that, but somepony, or somedragon, thought it was a good idea to mix Daring Do with historical studies." Twilight shook her head. "Never mind that now. Spike, I need you to make some us breakfast and help Ash get ready for school. You two will have to start without me but if I start now I might have the entire classics section all done before Ash has to head off."

"Wait, hold on," Ash interjected as Spike raised his claw in a weary salute and headed into the kitchen. "I-"

"You're right, Ash. Spike!"

"Hmm?"

"Just some cereal please, maybe some toast. I don't want you messing with the stove when you're so tired."

"Hmm."

"No, wait, I-"

"You know, while Spike's preparing breakfast, you should make sure your saddlebags are all packed," the Unicorn suggested as books began to line up in the air and march single file in front of the librarian. "You know, double checking for homework and extra pencils and supplies."

"Hey, I'm-" Ash ducked as The Art of the To-Do List flew dangerously past his head. "Hold on, you really expect me to go out in this weather?"

The books floated to a halt. Slowly, Twilight turned to face the stallion and regarded him with rapidly narrowing eyes.

"You're not thinking about skipping class just because of a little rain, are you?"

"Little is not the term I'd use...but I suppose little can be subjective," Ash quickly added with a gulp and a weak laugh. "It's just, I mean..." He sighed. "I don't suppose you would have any rain gear, would you?"

*****

The schoolhouse was deserted. No fillies or colts huddled under the rafters, no ponies took shelter outside the doors as they waited for Ms. Cheerilee to usher them inside, no Ms. Cheerilee.

Perhaps he was late, Ash figured, and everypony was already in class. The idea was a rather foolish one really, considering the lack of light from inside and Twilight's near religious devotion toward punctuality, but as he stood in the downpour, shivering underneath a borrowed purple raincoat, Ash could think of no better reasons. He moved up to the door and prepared a few believable excuses to explain his tardiness.

"Oh, good morning Ash," came a familiar cheery voice from behind. "I wasn't expecting anypony here today."

"Morning, Ms. Cheerilee," Ash said, turning around. "Uh, am I late?"

"Late?" the teacher repeated in bewilderment. She shook her head as she set aside her umbrella. "There's no class for today."

"Excuse me?"

"There's class for today," Cheerilee said again. "Didn't you know?"

"No," Ash replied shortly, trying his best to hold back his irritation. Evidently he failed, as the mare gave him a small sad smile.

"I apologize. I should have told you about the leaks. There are so many holes in this old roof it might be dryer to have the class outside." The cerise mare chuckled. "Well, except for today," she said. "The local Pegasi must be making up for lost time. It's been pretty dry this year, though I'm certainly not complaining about those extra sunny days."

Ash made way as Cheerilee moved toward the entrance of the schoolhouse. "Is that right? I, uh, hadn't noticed."

"Really?"

"I just assumed Ponyville was naturally sunny." He reached out to rub his neck and shivered as his hoof brushed against the cold wet plastic. "So why are you out here in this weather, if you don't mind me asking."

"Oh, well..." Cheerilee grinned diffidently. "It's a little embarrassing to admit to one of my students but I forgot last week's quizzes on my desk over the weekend. I just hope they're still dry. Speaking of which, you're making great progress lately."

"Really?"

"Why, of course," said the teacher as she opened the door slowly. "I think you managed to spell three words completely right this time around. Oh, don't look so discouraged. You just keep mixing up the vowels, mistaking t's for f's, and-"

As the door swung open, a small flood rush forward, drenching the teacher and her student up to their hooves.

"That's...some leak."

"Hole must have gotten larger in the rain," Cheerilee groaned, shaking her head. "Oh, I knew I should've gotten somepony to take a look at that when I had the chance. Well, I suppose better late than never," she sighed. "Could you take a look at the roof when the rain stops?"

"Wait, why me?"

"Well, you did mentioned that you come from a family of carpenters."

"I did?" Ash's eyes grew wide. "O-oh right, I did. Yeah, that's right, y-yeah."

"I know this is sort of sudden," Cheerilee quickly said apologetically, "and I understand that you might already have plans for today, but our entire class would really appreciate it if you gave the roof a quick check."

"I'd love to help but..." Ash rubbed the back of his head as he chewed his bottom lip and shifted his eyes to the side. "I-it's been a while...since I last handled a hammer. Yeah, I'm a little rusty over the years." He let out a weak laugh. "Get it? Like rusty nails? Because, you know hammers and, uh...never mind."

"Oh, is that so?"

The Unicorn swallowed, straining to maintain his insincere smile under his teacher's scrutinizing eyes. His cheeks began to burn from the effort. When Cheerilee finally dropped her glare with a nonchalant shrug, Ash fought to keep his expression of relief internally.

"A shame," Cheerilee said. "And here I was hoping to pay for repairs with extra credit instead of bits."

"Um, sorry?"

"I'm kidding, Ash," Cheerilee giggled. "I wouldn't want to start some sort of precedent by handing out grades as bribes or payments." She frowned as she stuck her head into the classroom. "I'd invite you to come inside but..." The mare pointed to the little stream that flowed out from schoolhouse and onto their feet and laughed. "You should probably head indoors as soon as you can, though if you're not busy, I could use a favor."

Ash shrugged and shivered as the cold wet canvas hugged his shoulders. "Do I get extra credit for it?"

"Nope. I already told you I can't do that."

"Tch, what is it then?"

"I need to try and waterproof the classroom as best as I can. In the meantime, could you see if Big Mac is busy?"

"Big Mac?" questioned Ash. "Uh, that's..."

"Big Macintosh. He's Apple Bloom's older brother, a big red stallion, quiet sort. I'm sure you've seen him on the apple farm, he's kind of hard to miss." Deftly dodging puddles, Cheerilee made it to her desk and ducked under it. She surfaced shortly after with half a dozen umbrellas and a large tarp. "He's a very good friend of mine and a decent handy pony." The first pink umbrella flew open, knocking over a few loose papers onto the wet floor. Cheerilee closed her eyes and fought the urge to curse. "Can you see if he'd be willing to help?"

Ash looked back outside. The rain had worsened to the point where the Unicorn's poncho would have provided as much protection as a handkerchief. The dogs and cats had grown into feral wolves and lions with chilling bites. Up from the dark foreboding clouds above came a low rumble. Every bone in Ash's body demanded that he immediately return to the library and take shelter, where a warm cup of hot chocolate was potentially waiting for him.

"Alright, I think I can at least handle that."

"Oh, you will?" Cheerilee smiled. "Thank you Ash. I know I'm asking a lot but-"

"Don't worry about it, I didn't have anything planned for a day like this to begin with. Could I, uh..." Ash gestured to one of the umbrellas laying about.

"Borrow an umbrella?"

The stallion nodded. "This coat just isn't working and a little on the small side."

"Purple looks good on you," laughed Cheerilee. "Go ahead. Just be sure I get it back."

"Thanks." Ash moved forward and carefully lifted the least colorful umbrella from the pile. It rose unsteadily in the air until it was about eye level. Ash tried his best to ignore the teeth marks and instead placed his attention onto a small switch at the end of the handle. "Hey, um, what does this-"

*****

"Whoa, what happened to your-"

"Not important," Ash hissed through clenched teeth. "What have you three been up to?" he asked in a far more amiable tone.

"Oh you know, crusadin'. Nothin' much," Apple Bloom answered. "Thought we'd try fixing the leak in the school roof but these two finished before Ah got there." The filly gave Scootaloo a dirty look. "Ah can't believe you lost the lucky hammer. What am Ah suppose to tell Big Mac?"

"Hey, it was Sweetie Belle's fault," the Pegasus retorted defensively.

"What?" Sweetie shrieked. "No it wasn't! You're the one that kept throwing stuff onto the roof."

"Well-"

"Can you just tell me where your brother is?" Ash begged, his teeth chattering. "I just want to get this over with and go home."

"Wait, aren't you going to stick around?" Sweetie Belle asked. She held up a pair of long flat sticks. "We were just about to go water skiing."

"Uh, no. I think I've had enough water for today."

"Heh, we've noticed," Scootaloo smirked. "You know your umbrella has a hole, right? Probably not the best way to keep dry."

"Yes, thank you." Brushing his sopping mane out of his eyes, Ash groaned. "Look, do you know where I can find Big...Macintosh, was it? Yes, Big Macintosh. Cheerilee needs his help."

"His pro'ly in the barn," Apple Bloom answered. "Here, Ah'll take you to him." The filly stuck her head back into the clubhouse. As he waited, Ash couldn't help but grow envious of the girls taking shelter in the safety of the Crusader's headquarters. At least branches of the surrounding trees provide some protection.

"Well, it's not snowing, so there's that I guess," Ash grumbled.

Apple Bloom soon reappeared, with bright yellow galoshes on her hooves and a red raincoat. Ignoring the ladder, she leaped down from the clubhouse and into a large puddle. Rainwater and mud flew into the air.

Sweetie Belle winced. "Ooh..."

"Oops. Um, sorry 'bout that Ash. Ah'm sure the rain will wash that right off. Here, c'mon!"

The clubhouse and the two waving fillies grew smaller as Ash let Apple Bloom drag him through puddle after puddle. He was beginning to see the value of rain boots, never mind how silly they looked on ponies.

"Some rainstorm, ain't it? Doesn't look like it'll be clearing out any time soon," Apple Bloom chirped as she marched through a miniature lake. "Yah'd think Applejack would be happy what with all the rainwater and stuff but she keeps complainin' 'bout how she can't work in this weather. And just the other day she was botherin' Rainbow Dash 'bout the next rainfall, sayin' how badly the farm need water."

"Is that right?" Ash said, ducking beneath a low hanging branch.

"Yeah! Now she's just hangin' round the house, being mopey and doin' chores. Anyways, Applejack's in a mighty bad mood today so don't bother her, alright?"

"Bad mood huh? That makes two of us..."

"Huh?"

"Nothing, it was nothing. Besides, I'm looking for your brother today."

"Cheerilee's been askin' Big Mac a lot of favors recently, you know," Apple Bloom continued. "Usually just a little handy work or somethin' like that. Ah hope it doesn't have anythin' to do with...well, you know."

"Not exactly."

"Oh, then don't worry none. Probably doesn't have anythin' to do with the love potion anyhow."

"Hold on," Ash interjected. "Love potion?"

"Ah told you, don't worry none. It ain't important."

"It sure sounds important. What happened?"

"What happened to your eye?"

"That has...where did that...I...don't worry about it, it's not important."

"Are you sure? Sure looks important."

"Cute," Ash said, rolling his eyes. "You sure this is the right way to the barn? I can barely see two feet in front of me."

"Hey, 'course Ah do. Ah know this farm better than Ah do the back of my own-oof!" Apple Bloom stumbled back, shaking her head to clear out of the troupe of stars dancing in front of her. When she did, the filly let a grin of victory spread across her face.

"Told yah," she gloated as she knocked on the barn door. "Hey, Mac, you in here? Oh wait, Ah don't remember, have you met my brother before?"

"Once, I think."

"Eeyup," came the deep response from inside. The door slid open and the red stallion holding a straw reed in his mouth stuck his head out. He gave his sister a small smile before greeting Ash with a nod. Ash returned it.

"Ash here's been lookin' for you," Apple Bloom said. "Looks like Cheerilee needs some help. It's not my fault this time, honest!" she quickly added as Big Macintosh gave her a suspicious glance. "You've met Ash before, right?"

"Eeyup." It took all of the farmer's resolve to refrain from bursting into hysterics as his first encounter with the grey Unicorn replayed in his head.

"Miss Cheerilee needs the schoolhouse roof looked at," Ash explained. "The leak got worse."

"Wait, Ah thought Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle...Ah mean, heh." The filly grinned sheepishly as her brother returned his attention to her. "Oh, and, uh, while you're up there could you keep an eye out for the lucky hammer?"

"...eeyup," Big Mac agreed with a heavy sigh.

"And nails. We might have also lost a few nails up there."

"...how few?"

"Um, six."

"Nails?"

"Uh, nope. Boxes."

Big Mac groaned and opened the barn further. He motioned the two ponies inside and stalked off to the shelves where a collection of tools sat at attention. A collie lifted her head at the approach of the newcomers and rushed over to them, barking wildly at the stranger that stood next to the youngest Apple.

"Down, Winona," Apple Bloom commanded, giving the dog a pat on the head when she obeyed. "Good girl. Listen Big Mac, Ah'm awfully sorry 'bout losin' all those nails without your knowin', again, even thought it wasn't 'actly my fault. Anyways, Ah'm sure we've got plenty of nails left, right?"

"Nope."

"No?"

The stallion lifted the lid off an old rusty tool box and shook out its contents: two pieces of lint and some dust. "Nope."

"Well maybe we can go get some now."

The farmer shook his blond head. "Busy," he said, pointing to the giant pile of hay that sat unbundled.

"Oh, but Ash ain't! He could grab them for us!"

"Wait, what?"

Big Mac looked up from his work. "You'd do that?" he asked.

"'Course he will," Apple Bloom answered happily.

"Hey, don't speak for me! I-"

Ash cut himself off as Big Macintosh approached him. He'd like to think he was of decent stature for a pony but as Big Mac got closer, his neck craned further and further. If there was any pony that deserved the name of big, it was the red giant that stood before him. Like an amateur mountaineer underestimating a mountain's height by judging it at a distance, Ash had failed to truly appreciate the Apple brother's size until he had stood directly before him. Any objections he had prepared crumbled as he unwillingly reminded himself of how much hurt Apple Bloom had done to him and made a few quick size comparisons.

"...nope," Big Mac said at last.

"Er, what?" Ash managed to squeak.

"What do yah mean, big brother?"

"Don't sit right, makin' some stranger go out in this weather for a favor."

"But Big Mac, Ash's a friend," Apple Bloom argued, "not some guy we pulled off the streets."

"All more reason why it'd be wrong to send him out in the rain to fix your mistakes." Big Mac shook his head. "Soon as the rain stops, you and me'll go into town to pick up some nails before checking up on that roof. Sorry 'bout any hassle," he added in apology to Ash.

"Oh...well, gee, thanks. Don't worry about," Ash laughed in relief.

"'Course, if yah'd be willin' to make the trip for us, Ah can promise you one of the pies Applejack and Granny are bakin' right now."

*****

"Hey Cap, cloud nine's dried out!"

"Again?" Rainbow Dash groaned. "Tell Thunderlane to get his act together! Flitter, get him a replacement and-"

"Um, Rainbow Dash?"

"What?" the Pegasus nearly screamed as she threw her hooves up in frustration. She was completely confident in her own weather manipulating skills (who else could clear the skies in ten seconds?) but it was times like now, when the occasion called not for a fast flyer but for an organized coordinator, that Rainbow questioned whether or not her predecessor had chosen the right pony for the position of captain. Keep it together girl, she told herself as she struggled to quell her rising temper.

The grey mare took a step back and gulped. "Oh, s-sorry Rainbow Dash."

"It's fine, just..." Rainbow sighed. "Look, I shouldn't have shouted. What's up?"

"Well..." The mare smiled nervously and rubbed the back of her blond head. "You know how we're suppose to have, like, a dozen backup rainclouds?"

"Yeah..."

"Well, I know they were rainclouds when I first got them, really, but now they're all full of snow! I have no idea what when wrong!"

Rainbow groaned. Really, it was her own fault for delegating this task to this certain mare in the first place but the bubbly Pegasus had been too eager to refuse.

"I could go back and see if they have any rainclouds left," the mare offered.

"Ha, no. Hey, Snowflake!"

"Yeah?"

"I'm gonna head back to Clouddale and see if I can grab any extra clouds," Rainbow called. "You think you can handle being substitute captain for half a minute?"

"Yeah!"

"What about me?" the grey mare asked earnestly. "Anything I can do to help?"

Rainbow looked around. Any pony that had been in earshot and had heard the offer desperately shook their heads.

"Let's see, uh, well...h-hey that cloud needs somepony to sit on!"

*****

"Are you sure you don't need a hammer?"

"Yes, Mr. Lugnut, I'm sure. Just nails."

"Hmph, your loss." The shopkeeper shrugged and ducked under the counter. He returned with a small box that had a picture of a nail, or perhaps of a very pointy screw, Ash couldn't tell. "Give my regards to Mac boy and be careful. Those nails are made of the finest metals."

"So they're dangerously stabby?" Ash presumed.

"Nah, they make great electric conductors. Doesn't look like there'll be lightning but you'd never know." Lugnut chuckled. "Now, about that hammer..."

Ash grabbed the bag on the counter and flipped the canvas hood over his eyes. "Thanks for the nails," he said as he opened the door.

Like a long lost friend the downpour outside welcomed Ash back with open arms. Even as he shivered Ash grinned. Big Macintosh's massive poncho had been the best thing that had happened to him today. The size ensured full coverage and protection and lack of sleeves negated any worries over tripping on the massive coat.

His little victory over the elements had placed him in a rather unsettlingly giddy mood. "Ha, is that all you've got?" he challenged the heavens, throwing a hoof in the air. "My armor is impenetrable! I. Am. Invincible!"

The sky crackled as if in answer.

*****

The library door swung open.

"Where were you?" Twilight demanded. "School was out hours ago and don't tell me you were with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. It's raining way too hard even for those three and..." The Unicorn sniffed. "Spike? Are you baking something? Something smells burnt."

"It's not me," Spike said, poking his head out from the kitchen. He held a large mixing bowl up. "I haven't even finished making batter yet."

"Huh, that's strange. Well, back on topic." Twilight turned back to Ash, regarding him as a disappointed mother would have. "First question: where did all those bandages come from?"