• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 970 Views, 15 Comments

The Second Revival of a Heart: Ponyville Days - TheMessenger



Ash's continued (mis)adventures in Equestria. Watch as he fails miserably to integrate into Ponyville culture, again and again. No firebreathing demon lords this time, just Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
3
 15
 970

Happy Nightmare Night!

Happy Nightmare Night!

"Ta da! Check it out, isn't it awesome?"

Ash looked up from his book, one of Spike's comic books though both he and Ash preferred the term 'graphic novel'; it made Ash feel a little smarter and a little better about himself.

The grey Unicorn blinked. "What are you wearing?"

Spike beamed as he posed. "It's my costume for Nightmare Night!" he declared. "I'm gonna be a dragon this year!"

"You're a dragon every year," Twilight said, shaking her head as she entered the library atrium. "And for every night for that matter. Why don't you try for some originality this time? I know, why don't we plan a costume together, like we used to?"

The dragon in the cartoonish dragon suit stuck his tongue out. "The last time we did that I was a book and you were a librarian-historian-pony."

"It wasn't that bad."

"I couldn't move! You had to carried me everywhere!"

"Oh like that's so different from now. You were a baby. I had to carry you regardless. Come on, Spike, please?" Twilight Sparkle begged.

Spike crossed his arms and sighed. "What did you have in mind?"

"Well I was rereading my collection of classics and-"

"That's not promising."

"Hush, you didn't even hear the idea."

"I heard classics," Spike pointed out. "That's all I need to know."

"Oh come on!" protested the purple Unicorn. "I mean, sure there was a lot of racist subtext and a surprising amount of misogyny during the romantic era and most of Charley H. Writtens's plots were resolved with the most contrived coincidences imaginable..."

"Hey, Ash." Spike now turned his attention to the lone stallion in the room. "What are you gonna be for Nightmare Night?"

"Nightmare what now?"

Twilight paused her review on classic literature and gasped. "That's right! This will be your first Nightmare Night ever, won't it?"

"Again, Nightmare what now?"

The library door was flung open, knocking a few books off the nearby shelf. Pinkie Pie stood at the entrance, crouched low and gasping for air.

"I felt it," the pony cried. "Shaky hooves, itchy nose, uncontrollable urges to use the filly room hand in hand with constipation, all signs of a poor deprived child within a three mile radius!" Pinkie leaped into the library. "Where is he or she? Where is this poor poor foal that has neither seen nor felt the glorious rays of the the lunar face or known the divine touch of sugar upon her or his tongue. Where is this pitiful colt or filly that does not know the unending joys of donning the coat of another and becoming her or his mask, becoming his or her soul? Oh where, where is this poor lost lamb that does not the ecstasy that can only be revealed through the trials of fear?"

"Pinkie Pie..."

"You!" Pinkie sprung onto Twilight, grabbing her by the shoulders. "Is it you,Twilight, who does not know the wonders, the undescrible happiness that comes every year on that wonder filled evening?"

"You mean indescribable. Undescrible isn't a word."

"Oh, the words of a deprived child!" wailed Pinkie. "They wound my very soul!"

"I'm not deprived!" Twilight yelled. "Get off!"

"No? You sure?"

"Yes!"

"Then it was your spirit I heard cry out!"

Spike yelped and tried to run but Pinkie tackled the dragon before he could escape. "Poor, poor Spikey," Pinkie moaned. "Oh, to be raised by Twilight in such an environment devoid of love, it's no wonder you is deprived."

"Devoid of-it's 'are deprived'!" Twilight screamed. "And he isn't deprived of anything besides air! Let him go!"

"How can you tell?" Pinkie asked. "I mean he's all purple. Does he turn blue or-"

Spike released a torrent of flames, forcing Pinkie to let go and take cover behind the table. Twilight hesitated for a moment, torn between checking on her biggest helper and friend or the pink maniac that broke into their home who also happened to be a close friend.

"Are you alright?" Twilight asked, helping Spike sit up as Ash went to make sure Pinkie Pie was okay.

"Y-yeah, I think so," the baby dragon managed to gasp. "I-is Pinkie alright? I didn't mean to..."

"She's fine," Ash called from behind the table.

"I'm okay, I'm okay." Pinkie Pie peeked out and waved sheepishly. "Heh, sorry about that Spike. I guess I kinda lost it for a sec."

"Pinkie Sense?" Twilight wondered.

"Yep. It's been awhile since I felt that combo so I lost control. Bowel issues can do that to a mare, you know?" The Earth Pony began to hop in place. "Speaking of which, do you mind if I use the restroom?"

"Go right on ahead. Oh, and restroom means bathroom, right? You're not going to just, um, go right in my bedroom are you?"

Pinkie giggled. "Oh Twilight, you silly filly."

"Wait, is that a yes or a no?" But Pinkie Pie had already bounced off. Twilight groaned just Spike tugged at her leg.

"Um, Twilight," the dragon began nervously. "I don't mind living here with you. You know, for the record and everything. I mean, I don't feel deprived..."

"Thanks, Spike." The Unicorn wrapped her legs around her assistant and nuzzled him through his partially burnt costume.

"Okay, I've been long enough to know that this isn't a regular thing," Ash said, butting into the tender moment as he leaned against the table. "So why is Pinkie acting extra Pinkie Pie, why were we discussing costumes, and what is this Nightmare Night you keep speaking of?"

All Ash saw before he was thrown into the opposite wall and showered with encyclopedias was a pink blur.

"You! It was you I heard in agony!"

*****

"So, Luna, any plans this year?"

The Princess of the Night lifted her tired head. Princess Celestia sat next to her in the grass. She tore her magenta eyes away from the grotesque statue and bore them upon her sister. "Nightmare Night is in a couple of days," Celestia noted. "Any plans?"

"No."

"Luna...is something wrong? I thought your first Nightmare Night went well?"

"Oh, it did. I had quite an experience," Luna said, rubbing her eyes.

"Then what's the problem?"

"Sister, there are matters we must attend to. Though there has been no sign of the seal's weakening, we must remain vigilant." The blue Alicorn scowled. "Whatever it was we sense so long ago, I do not doubt it's evil."

"You are right," Celestia agreed with a sigh. "The thought of Discord running rampant is a frightening one but...perhaps we've been making a mountain out of a molehill."

"A mountain out of...Celestia, are you assuming we are acting out of paranoia?" Luna whipped her head and stared. "How can you say that? This is the safety of our kingdom, of our little ponies that is at stake!"

The Sun Princess nodded. "Again, you're right but it has been nearly a month since there has been any hint of activity."

"It could be a trick, to lower our guard. We cannot afford to underestimate this foe."

"Nor should we overestimate him," Celestia said. "Discord is not this patient. He has always been an opportunist. The moment the magic of his seal weakened is the moment he would have escaped. Discord would not have waited this long." She chuckled. "I bet if he could he'd be laughing at us for wasting so much of our lives by being on edge."

Princess Luna frowned. "But-"

"I'll still have guards posted of course. We both know they could use something to do. And at the first sign of trouble I will contact you, just try to stay close to Spike."

"The dragon whelp, correct?"

"Right. Look at it this way, should a problem arise you will be in the perfect position to rally the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony, though I have complete confidence that will not arise. And if it does, you'll get to say I told you so," Celestia added, smiling.

"I believe should that time come, even I will not want to." Luna sighed. "But I did make a promise. Yes, dear sister, we do have plans for this Nightmare Night."

"We?"

For the first time in a while, Luna smiled, albeit somewhat wearily.

"Aye, Ponyville and I."

*****

"Really?" Rainbow gaped in awe and pity. "You've never had a Nightmare Night before."

"I don't know why this is so surprising," Ash sighed, leaning forward to take a sip of tea. "I mean, all things considered..."

"Oh yeah, the whole other world thing." Rainbow Dash chuckled. "Geez, I keep forgetting."

The grey stallion folded his hooves over each other, his eyes on a particularly stubborn stain on the eatery's table. Everypony else grew quiet as Applejack swat at the back of Rainbow Dash's head with her head.

"Hey, what's the big-" The Pegasus gulped suddenly as the gravity of her words hit her a few moments after Applejack did. "Aw man, sorry about that Ash. I didn't mean to, well, you know, remind you I guess."

"It's fine," Ash said, waving his hoof. "If it weren't for the morning reminders I'd forget too."

"You sure 'bout that sugar cube? If ya need somepony to talk to..."

"Applejack, if he says he's fine, he's fine," Rarity interjected. "It would be best not to pry. Pinkie Pie, is there something you'd like to say?"

Pinkie nodded but did not open her mouth, opting to instead continue bouncing in her seat anxiously.

"Would you like to speak," Twilight asked after a disquieting moment.

"Well, yeah, I'd love to speak and what I really wanted to ask was how they could live in Ash's world if they didn't have Nightmare Night because I can't even began to imagine or even want to imagine a world without Nightmare Night because Nightmare Night is one of the bestest holidays ever and any world that doesn't have an entire night devoted completely to eating candy and wearing silly clothes and acting silly must be really really sad but then I remembered your story and how your world actually is really really sad and so I thought you'd be really really sad if I said anything that would remind you of your old home so I decided not to say anything but if you insist, what I really wanted to ask was-"

"Pinkie?" Ash said.

"Yes?"

"I'm getting really really sad. Can we talk about something else? Like what exactly is this holiday? And not a history lesson, please," he quickly added much to Twilight's visible disappointment.

"Well-"

"It's a horrible holiday where ponies dress up in frightful costumes and go around scares poor little foals and bullying ponies out of their candy! As if the world wasn't frightening enough!"

Fluttershy ducked until the table as her wail drew the attention of the surrounding patrons.

"Yeah, Fluttershy had a pretty awful Nightmare Night when she was a filly," Rainbow Dash explained as she pulled up the shivering Pegasus. "Hey, don't give me that look. I had nothing to do with it, honest."

"The shadows were everywhere! I felt so violated!"

"You know what? Staying home with the door locked doesn't sound that bad."

"Aw, come on. Don't be like that." Pinkie Pie reached out across the table and grabbed Ash by the neck. "You never know unless you try. Just imagine, a mountain of delicious, oh so delightful candy right in front of you. Sweets of every kind. Chocolates, peanut butter cups, licorice vines, caramel apples, you name it. We will call it...Candy Mountain. What do you say, Charlie?"

"You're drooling."

"You'd be missin' out on one heck of a shindig," said Applejack as Ash called for a new cup. "Plenty of games and music and wearin' a costume's always good fun."

"Provide, of course, you find a proper costume."

"Now what are ya tryin' to imply, Rarity?"

"Why nothing," the fashionista quickly said. "I was just thinking about how your costume could have used a little less hay."

Applejack shrugged. "Don't see the problem. Made a quick snack."

"Ooh, now there's an idea. An entire costume made out of candy! I'll be a candy collecting candies! Rarity, can you-"

"No! I mean..." The Unicorn cleared her throat. "Remember your Gala design?"

"Oh yeah."

"Will you be just as busy this year as you were last Nightmare Night?" Twilight asked.

"I am afraid so," Rarity answered with a sigh. "And to have missed the opportunity to have prepared something for Princess Luna, oh woe. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your viewpoint, my name in Canterlot has spread far beyond my expectations and I have so many orders to complete before the big night."

"I never thought Canterlot ponies were the type to wear silly costumes," Rainbow said.

"Well, no, I suppose it's quite beneath them. There are, however, a number of masquerade parties and with it comes the need for a number of extravagant dresses. Speaking of which..." Rarity got up and waved over the server. "I apologize for cutting our little get-together short."

"We understand," Twilight assured. "We'll see you later."

"Can I help?" Spike asked eagerly, wiping away chocolate residue from his lips.

"Of course, Spikey. I could use the extra set of claws. That is, of course, if Twilight had no objections."

The librarian shook her head. "Spike's free," she said. "The only thing we had planned today was deciding on costumes. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to bounce a few ideas off you later when I pick him up."

"I mind not one little bit," Rarity said. "If you need some inspiration, you're welcome to look at the few designs at the boutique." Before anypony could protest, the seamstress placed several golden coins more than what was required for her own order on the bill and returned the check to the waiting waitress. "Come along now, Spike. Ta ta, everypony."

Applejack watched the Unicorn and the dragon exit before stretching and getting up. "Yeah, Ah should pro'ly also get back to the farm. Granny's gonna try an' teach Apple Bloom how ta make pies today and we've still got lots ta get done before the big night. Guess Ah'll be seeing you gals later. Oh, an' Ash?"

"Hmm?"

"Ah'm givin' Fluttershy here a free pass but Ah'd better see ya having one heck of a Nightmare Night."

Ash rolled his eyes. "Yeah, sure."

"Hey, AJ, need a hoof?"

"You just want free pies, don'tcha Rainbow?"

Applejack and Rainbow Dash left, followed shortly after by Pinkie Pie who headed straight to Carousel Boutique with a quick sketch on a napkin. Then it was Twilight's turn to excuse herself with the goal of looking through a few historical references for costume ideas.

"You remember your way back to the library, right?"

"Is it still the giant oak tree in the middle of town? I think I'll manage."

Ash finished the rest of his tea. It was a perfect blend of honey and sunflower petals, strangely enough. As he set the cup down and considered asking for another refill, he looked up and realized who was left at the table with him.

"Uh..."

"Um..."

"So...you enjoying your drink?"

"Huh? Oh, y-yes. It's very, well, nice."

"That's...nice, I guess."

There was a moment of silence before Fluttershy spoke again. "Um actually...it could use a little sugar but the waiter there looks so busy and I didn't want to bother him."

Ash followed the Pegasus's gaze toward the suited stallion reading a newspaper while chewing on the end of a pen.

"I think he's working on a, what do you call them, sudoku puzzle?"

"Oh. No wonder he looks so focused."

At this point, another, more diligent server noticed the grey Unicorn's empty cup and rushed to her patron's side.

"Refill, sir?"

"Yes please and could you also grab some sugar?"

"Of course." The mare picked up the cup and went away.

"Thank you. You didn't have to trouble yourself."

"It's not a problem." Ash shrugged. "So...Nightmare Night?" He winced as Fluttershy whimpered.

"W-what about it?"

"I just want to know if it's as bad as you seem to say. I mean, I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into..."

"Well..." Fluttershy took a deep breath. "No, it's not. It's actually a lot of fun gathering candy and wearing costumes, even if the Nightmare Moon story is a little scary."

"I'm surprised Princess Luna let's this be a thing, considering her history."

"She was unhappy at first and the whole town was afraid but eventually we warmed up to her and she warmed up to the holiday," Fluttershy explained.

"Still, I'm amazing how easily she can accept this and take it in stride." Ash paused before continuing, "What about you?"

"Pardon?"

"Why do you act this way towards Nightmare Night? I mean, you say it's fun but...well...you know."

Fluttershy sighed. "Like Rainbow said, I had a bad experience. Some mean foals tricked me by telling me that I could find lots of good treats somewhere. It ended up being a haunted house and while I was crying they took all the candy I had gotten when I wasn't looking. I know it sounds silly but I was really young back then, years before I got my cutie mark and it changed how I see Nightmare Night. I was so scared and I see those masks those bullies wore so they couldn't get caught and then I see all the masks the foals are wearing in town and...a-and..."

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...I shouldn't have intruded like that."

"No no, it's fine. All my friends know this story and it's only fair you did too." Fluttershy smiled. "I'm so glad I have such understanding friends. Rainbow Dash does try every year to get me to go out but she never pushes too hard."

"You-" The Unicorn cleared his throat. "You know, I could-that is...I mean if...I doubt any of us would mind spending Nightmare Night with you at the cottage."

"Oh, no," gasped Fluttershy. "I could never ask that from any of you. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie love Nightmare Night. I couldn't bring myself to force anypony to waste their night with me."

"Well, I really don't know what to expect from the holiday so I could..."

This time Fluttershy's warm smile was directed straight at him. "Thank you, Ash. That's really kind of you but it wouldn't be fair. Nightmare Night really is fun, just a little scary. Don't worry, I'll be fine by myself."

"If you say so." The server had returned and set a new cup on Ash's saucer and a small bowl of sugar cubes in front of Fluttershy. The two thanked the waitress and tended to their drinks. "Do you think you'll ever get over it? That experience with Nightmare Night, I mean."

Fluttershy took a moment to answer. "Yes," she said. "I believe I will one day. I don't know if I'll ever forget how scared I was that night but I think one Nightmare Night I'll be out with my friends, wearing a costume and eating candy and having fun like everypony else. I can't always be afraid."

"That's good," Ash said with a nod. He lifted his teacup.

"Um..."

"Yes?"

"Well...actually, never mind."

Ash waved his hoof dismissively. "Go ahead. If you have a questions, ask. Really, it's only fair."

"I don't want to offend, it's just...I understand you don't want to talk about...your past."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry," Fluttershy apologized quickly. "It's just I was listening to Pinkie and began to wonder if Humans also had holidays. You shouldn't answer if you're not comfortable, I understand."

The Unicorn closed his eyes. "Yes, we had holidays but what they were and how they were celebrated varied. There's Harvest Day and all the festivals and feasts that came with it. There were games, entertainers of all arts, so many kinds of food." The hazel eyes grew wistful. "There's Savior's Gift in the winter and all the streets and houses are decorated with colorful ice crystals and sculptors come near and far to the capital for the national competition. Sinners's Redemption, Reshelving Day, Children's Dance, Freedom Remembrance when we celebrate the fall of the Dark-"

Ash stiffened. He lifted the cup to his lips and drain it.

"W-was there anything like Nightmare Night?" Fluttershy asked, hoping to distract her friend from whatever thoughts and memories were running through his head.

The grey Unicorn tapped his chin. "No, not really. The closest thing would be Hallow's Eve but that's only because most of it was during the evening."

"No treats or costumes?"

Ash shook his head. "It was more of a solemn affair, a remembering of the dearly departed and for stopping cultists from summoning malevolent spirits and raising general havoc." He gave a small smile. "I think I prefer Nightmare Night," he said before going silent.

"Are you alright?" Fluttershy asked. "I didn't mind to remind you."

"It's fine," Ash said, looking up. "Every morning's a reminder and as much as I'd like to, I can't just forget what happened. The past made me what I am. But every morning also brings a new beginning."

The Pegasus tried to duck beneath her pink mane as she stifled her giggles. "I'm sorry...it's just...what you said..."

"Too cheesy?" The Unicorn smirked.

"Even for me."

Ash began to laugh as well. The two ignored the nearby stares as they shared a chuckle at Ash's sad attempt to sound profound.

*****

"Um..."

"Uh, so..."

The two ponies stood awkwardly in front of the restaurant, waiting for the other to say goodbye. Ash cleared his throat for the sixth time that minute. "So..."

Fluttershy beat him to it. "I had a great time, Ash," she said. "It's always nice talking to a good friend."

"Same here. I'm still surprised they actually asked us to leave."

"Well, there was a line," Fluttershy noted. "And we weren't eating or ordering anything. It wouldn't have been considerate of us to hog a table for eight for ourselves."

"I suppose. Would you like to continue our discussion elsewhere or..."

"Oh, I'm so sorry but I need to get back home soon. Angel gets cranky if I don't fluff his tail on schedule."

"No problem. If you have plans..."

"Please don't think I'm making excuses. I really did enjoy our talk, really."

"Hey, it's not a problem. I understand, really." The stallion rubbed the back if his neck. "So...well, uh..."

"Yes...um..."

"No loitering!" screamed the manager.

"Goodbye!" Fluttershy squeaked as she jumped in surprise and flew off before Ash could reply.

The Unicorn sighed and began to wander through town. It took him a good few minutes to realize that the direction he took was not to the Golden Library. Before he correct himself, Ash felt something tug at his leg. He looked down and found a spotted Earth Pony looking up back at him. He'd be the smallest calico pony Ash had ever seen before if there had been others to compare him to.

"Please sir," the youngster pleaded. He bore an accent Ash was not entirely familiar with. "Could you help me? I could really use it, sir."

"What is it?" Ash asked. "Just as long as it stays legal."

The colt pulled the older stallion in front of a tall tree and pointed up at some cloth stuck on one of the branches.

"There was a huge guest of wind," he explained. "And 'fore I could react, it took my costume and threw into the tree. Please, mister, can you help me get it back?"

"Wouldn't this be a better job for a Pegasus?"

"Maybe, but you were the first adult I found," the colt said. "I did meet a few fillies earlier and asked them for help too but I don't know where they went. They said something about matches. One of them was a Pegasus too, I think. Do you think you can reach my costume with your magic?"

"I don't know," admitted Ash as he ran a few rather unreliable estimates in his head. "I can try though," he added as the child's face fell.

The boy's spotted face immediately lit up. "Oh, thank you sir, thank you. You have no idea how much that costume means to me. My mother made it herself."

Ash moved to the very foot of the tree and threw his magical grasp towards the trapped cloth. To his utter dismay and frustration, it fell a good length short, about the distance from the ground to his shoulder. He tried extended a little further but quickly ceased such efforts as a sharp migraine stabbed into his head.

"Tch."

"Are you alright, mister?"

"Yeah, just did something stupid." Ash rubbed his head as words unwanted words drifted into his head that did not belong to him.

"A Mage must know his limits before he can transcend. To push against such limits without preparation is dangerous, equivocal to playing with a tinderbox in a wood cabin."

Hindsight never helped anyone Ash growled internal. He glared at the tree. "Guess we'll just have to do this the old fashion way," he muttered.

"What's the old fashion way?"

"I'm going to throw you and try to knock it down-I'm kidding, I'm kidding," Ash said as even the brown spot over the colt's eye grew white. "I'm just going to climb the tree so I can reach it."

"Are you sure, mister? It's really high."

"I don't need to climb all the way, just enough to get into range. It shouldn't be much trouble." He placed his front hooves against the the truck of the tree. "Oh wait."

"What's wrong, Mr. Unicorn?"

"I just remembered something very important..." I. Don't. Have hands. "The first idea might be a little easier, actually, now that I think about it."

The colt held up a small rock. "Will this do instead?"

Ash lifted the rock with his magic. He let it float in the air for a time before nodding his head. "This will work perfectly. Thanks kid," he said. The colt beamed.

The stone rocketed toward the branches and struck with a satisfying snap as the wood splintered and broke. Ash's grin faded as he saw the branches and bundle of cloth fall towards him.

"Oh, sh-"

The colt flinched at the loud thud on impact and quickly rushed to the mess of cloth and a combination of tree and pony limbs. "Are you okay, sir." He gasped as the stallion lifted his head. "Oh dear."

A large bruise fell over Ash's left eye, painting that side of his face purple. On appearances alone, the blow must have been painful yet to the colt's awe and Ash's credit, the stallion was not blubbering or crying out or teaching the colt a new set of colorful vocabulary. He did flinch however as he applied pressure to the inflicted area.

"Great," he muttered as he pulled himself out of the heap. "Well, guess there's nothing else to do now but head back. Here, try not to lose it again."

The child caught the bundle and held it close to his chest. "Um, shouldn't you go see a doctor, mister?"

"It's not as painful as it looks," Ash assured. "Come morning, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, though looking like this for the rest of the day is going to be a pain." He sighed. "Hey kid, you know where the Golden Oak Library is?"

"It's the big hollowed tree in the middle of town, isn't it? How can anypony miss it?"

"How indeed," Ash grumbled. "Just answer the question."

The colt pointed in a direction. "Just a few blocks that way, sir."

"Which way?"

"That way."

"Are you pointing? I can't see through this eye."

"Oh, right." The child moved himself and pointed again. "There."

"Alright then." The Unicorn gave the colt a final nod. "Thanks kid."

"Pipsqueak."

"Eh?"

"My names Pipsqueak, sir," Pipsqueak said, raising his hoof in salute. "Um, here." He held something up. Ash knelt down for a closer look. It was an eye patch.

"Thank you for saving my costume, sir," the colt said, leaving the patch in Ash's hooves and skipping away. "Maybe we'll see each other during Nightmare Night."

Ash held the eye patch up and regarded it with his good eye. With the dexterity of a crippled walrus, he managed to tie the patch on crookedly over the bruise, covering a majority of the purple swelling. A young pink filly wearing her trademark diamond encrusted diadem passed with a bag of freshly baked cookies from Sugar Cube Corner. At the sight of the stallion she stuck her nose up.

"Your pirate costume's horrible," she sniffed. "Nightmare Night isn't even for a couple of days, genius."

"Pirate costume? Hmm..."

*****

"Come on, Fluttershy," the dark Wonderbolt groaned. She stood behind the cottage's door and knocked again. "You can't stay in there all night."

"Yes I can!" came a squeak. "I did last year, I did the year before that, I did the year before that, and I'll do it this year too!"

"Well, at least give us some candy," said an extra fluffy Pinkie Pie. She adjusted the paper horn on her forehead. "Nightmare Night, what a fright! Give us som-"

"NO CANDY HERE! VISITORS NOT WELCOMED ON NIGHTMARE NIGHT-oh." The door opened just a peek. "S-sorry, I didn't mean to shout."

Rainbow Dash tried to find a strand of pink hair or a spot of yellow through the little passage between the door and the framework. "Are you'd sure you don't want to hang out this year? I promise not to prank you."

"And I promise not to steal all your candy like I did with Scootaloo."

"Well...EEP!" The door slammed shut. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow turned around.

"Hey, girls," the purple dragon said. "What's up?"

"Why are we all crowded around Fluttershy's house?" the purple Unicorn asked, munching on some sweets. "Is she giving out treats?"

"GO AWAY! NO CANDY HERE! VISITORS NOT WELCOMED ON NIGHTMARE NIGHT-oh." The door cracked open. "H-hello...Twilight?"

"Yep," said the purple dragon. The Unicorn in the suit grinned. "Can you guess who I am? Holy guacamole!"

"...Barney?"

"No Pinkie. I'm Spike. What are you suppose to be, a fluffy puffy Unicorn?"

"No, silly Spikey. I'm cotton candy!"

The little purple Unicorn scratched his 'head' with a claw. "Is she talking to me or..."

"Oh, hey Lyra! You've finally mastered walking, nice! Ooh, and are those hands?"

"What, no! I'm Twilight! I mean I'm-" 'Twilight' groaned.

"I told you this would get confusing."

Rainbow turned to the newcomer. "And what are you suppose to be, Ash?"

"A crippled walrus." He shrugged, lifting a bent flipper. "It just came to me and-"

The door swung open as Fluttershy fell forward.

"Is she dead?" Pinkie asked, hiding behind Twil...Spike...the purple dragon.

"Nah," Rainbow Dash announced, letting the yellow Pegasus's head fall back gently on the ground. "She just fainted. That probably wasn't the best costume to show Fluttershy, pal."

"Sorry."

"Well, wanna head back to the festival?" Pinkie Pie asked. "Maybe we can find some cotton candy and then we'd have cotton candy in cotton candy."

"We can't leave Fluttershy like this," asserted Twilight the magic dragon. "We-"

A scream echoed out from town. A Pegasus dressed in a toga flew by sweating. "The spiders are back!" she cried. "She brought them back!"

"Spiders?" Twilight turned toward Ponyville and gasped. Judging by the echo that followed she wasn't the only one surprised to see a massive hairy leg extend over the rooftops.

"Ash, what are you-"

"GO AWAY! NO CANDY HERE! VISITORS NOT WELCOMED ON NIGHTMARE NIGHT! NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SPIDERS!," the walrus screamed as tried to slam the cottage door. He was as successful as one might have expected from a crippled walrus.