• Published 1st Jul 2013
  • 970 Views, 15 Comments

The Second Revival of a Heart: Ponyville Days - TheMessenger



Ash's continued (mis)adventures in Equestria. Watch as he fails miserably to integrate into Ponyville culture, again and again. No firebreathing demon lords this time, just Cutie Mark Crusaders.

  • ...
3
 15
 970

Ya Gotta Hardly Party

Ya Gotta Hardly Party

"Streamers?"

"Check!"

"Balloons?"

"Um, check."

"Gator-free punch?"

"No gators today. Check!"

"Cupcakes with extra frosting?"

The baby dragon removed his sugar-coated claw from his mouth and made a quick mark on the long roll of parchment in front of him. "Chekth," Spike said with a mouth full of pastry. He leaned on the tips of his toes as he reached over the festive table and poured himself a cup of fruit punch, downing it all in a single swig.

A pink mare with a mane like cotton candy pounced next to the young dragon. A group of blue and yellow balloons adorn the side of her flank like those floating around and about the library. Spike offered her some punch.

"Are you sure this a good idea, Pinkie?" he asked as the pony ignored the cup and drank directly out of the bowl.

Pinkie Pie laughed and wrapped a leg around Spike's shoulders. "Oh Spike, when is a party not a good idea?"

"Well, I-"

"Exactly! A Congrats on Turning Back Into a Pony from a Hairless Ape Monster party is just what Twilight needs!"

"But-"

Spike shut his mouth and gulped as the pink Earth pony's eyes narrowed dangerously. "I have waited days for this specific party. I have spent days planning for this. I have sacrificed more than you'll ever imagine. I sat still yesterday for an entire ten minutes. Ten. Minutes. I will not be denied. Capiche?"

Pinkie's cheerful demeanor returned as Spike frantically nodded. "Then let's get this party STARTED..." She turned to a nearby clock on the wall. "...in a couple of hours, once all the guests all arrive."

"Plus Twilight's still kinda out of it," a cyan Pegasus added. Like Pinkie Pie, her flank was marked with an unique symbol, her's being a cloud and lightning bolt outlined by blue, yellow, and red. Rainbow Dash's signature rainbow colored mane flipped to the side as she poked the sleeping purple Unicorn. A small cone party hat sat over her horn. Her gentle snore filled the library, rustling the pages of the open book that served as her pillow.

Pinkie bounced to Twilight's other side. "Huh, guess there's not much point of a 'Congrats on Turning Back Into a Pony from a Hairless Ape Monster' party without a Twilight to congratulate," she said, giving the purple Unicorn a prod. "Sheesh, she wasn't like this when we were here this morning."

Spike shrugged. "I dunno. She just crashed in the middle of breakfast. Like, pow!" He threw his arms in the air in emphasis. "Out cold. She didn't even didn't finish eating," he added with a pout. He kicked at a stray balloon.

"Aw, what's with the long face, sugarcube?" asked the blond orange mare with a distinct Southern drawl. She wiped a few crumbs off her lips as she approached the group. Behind her was a white Unicorn, whose violet mane with all its intricate curls and evident dedication stood in stark contrast to the literal blond ponytail sticking out of the brim Stetson sitting on the orange pony's head.

With her head up high, Rarity levitated a small towel in front of her with her magic. "Well, the dishes are finally finished," she sniffed in disdain.

"Don' know why yer so worked up," Applejack said, rolling her eyes and shifting her hat. "Woulda been a waste of good food." She released a loud belch, winning a laugh from both Pinkie and Rainbow Dash and a glare from Rarity.

"Pardon," she said apologetically. "Ah'll apologize tah Twilight when she wakes up but there's no point tah wastin' food."

"That was for Twilight..." Spike mumbled.

"An' she don' know what she's missin'. Spike, those were the best...Ah mean..." Applejack grew silent as the dragon fell back onto his rear, dejected. The alabaster mare's glare intensified.

"Aw shucks, sorry Spike," she said, rubbing the back of her head in embarrassment. "Ah should've known they were special."

Spike's frown faded slightly. His arms uncrossed and dropped to his sides. "It's alright, I guess. I'm glad somepony could enjoy them at least. Were...were they good?" he asked nervously.

The farm mare chuckled. "Didn' yah hear me tha firs' time? Heck, why don' yah ask Rares here?"

Rarity's blush was transparent as all eyes turned to her. She cleared her throat and began to twist the rag in the air.

"Er, well, yes, I may have taken a few bites," she admitted. "I mean, throwing it all away would have been a crime. After all, Spike, you spent so much time on preparing it..."

Rarity flashed a smile toward the dragon who blushed furiously, trying his best to look cool. Rainbow and Applejack rolled their eyes.

"...and the aroma, oh don't get me started. I can't possibly imagine how lucky Twilight must have been to walk in the kitchen while they were still fresh." Rarity's lip quivered and her eyes grew watery. "I'm so, so sorry Spike but I couldn't resist. I couldn't stop myself. I was so weak." She sniffed. "Oh, I do hope you will forgive me for taking a few small bites."

"Small bites nothin'," Applejack whispered to Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. "Ah always thought ladies had bigger mouths than regular pony folk." Pinkie and Dash giggled.

Spike meanwhile rocked on his heels, clutching at his chest. "Of...of course I forgive you, Rarity," he breathed. "How could I not?"

Once again Applejack and Rainbow Dash's pupils rolled up toward the library's roof as Rarity cooed and gave Twilight's scaly assistant a hug, which Spike accepted zealously. "Ooh, my little Spikey-Wikey is so kind."

Rainbow Dash nudged Applejack and pretended to gag. The orange mare stifled a snort.

Pinkie on the other hoof had thoroughly ruined the moment between the two by joining in the hug. "What?" she wondered when both Rarity and Spike gave her unamused stares. "Three's company! And four is more!"

Twilight Sparkle barely stirred as Pinkie grabbed her sleeping body and sandwiched her like grape jam between Spike and Rarity.

"Pinkie...darling..."

"Can't breath!"

*****

"An' that's why we're not Cutie Mark Crusaders Jugglers."

"Hmm," Ash grunted.

"Rarity still won't let me near her scissors," Sweetie Belle complained. "Or her pencils. Or her toaster. Or her cat."

"Uh huh." He hadn't noticed the makeshift harness on his back or the stares he was receiving because of it. Or the little red wagon he pulled behind him.

Scootaloo rolled past on her scooter, her wings spread to slow down. The filly gave the grey stallion an annoyed glare. "Are you even paying attention?" she asked.

"That's nice."

Scootaloo turned to her friends who sat in the wagon that was normally attached to her scooter as a means of transport. They gave her a shrug, just as confused as she was.

Carefully, Apple Bloom climbed out of the moving wagon and onto the grey Unicorn's back. She waved her leg in front of his face. She received no response.

"Ah think he's sleepwalkin'."

"Get off my head," the stallion growled.

"Oops." Apple Bloom leaped down. "Sorry."

"Hmm." Ash blinked and looked around. "Where are we going again?"

"Sugarcube Corner," Sweetie Belle explained over the loud clanks as Scootaloo head-butted her handle bars. The young Unicorn pulled out a long sheet of paper. "If Rarity won't let me use her toaster I'll just have to get creative," she huffed.

"A toasting cutie mark?" Ash wondered.

"Ooh, that's much better that the juicing idea," Sweetie squealed. "After that is the Boutique to pick up some yarn. Then to Fluttershy's to try knitting..."

"Extreme knitting," chimed Scootaloo.

"...extreme knitting, followed by, um...stuff."

Ash yawned. "Stuff?"

"Stuff, things, to-dos..." Sweetie Belle listed as she scanned the sheet. "...activities, projects, endeavors, schemes, tasks, affairs, engagements, crusades, hoopla, undertaking, tasks, Note to Self: Scootaloo is relieved of all secretarial duties until further notice, quests, games, events, an ink blot, two stick ponies, business, missions-oof!"

Sweetie Belle tumbled back as Ash fumbled through an apology.

"S-sorry about that. I'm having a little trouble paying attention."

"Oh, it's no problem at all," the yellow Pegasus quickly assured. She seemed to sink into her long pink mane. "U-unless you have a problem. I'm sorry," she said, pawing at the ground timidly, her light aqua eyes toward the ground.

"What, no, you have nothing to apologize for," Ash exclaimed. "I mean, I should have been, well you know...I mean..." He rubbed the back of his head, his own eyes shifted to the side.

"Hiya Fluttershy!" The Cutie Mark Crusaders greeted in unison. They crowded around the Pegasus as close as they could without panicking the pony. If anything, their presence calmed Fluttershy, who lifted her head and smiled. "Oh, hello girls. Is school out already?"

"Yep!" Apple Bloom answered. "Hey, are yah still gonna help us with our lion tamer cutie mark? Yer still taking care of that baby manticore, right?"

"Oh, well, I don't think..."

"We're heading to Sugarcube Corner. Wanna join us?" Sweetie Belle offered.

"Oh, I'd love to but..."

"Hey, Fluttershy, settle a bet: how do you call a chicken?"

"Um..."

"Sorry about this," Ash said, pulling the three fillies back. "Pretty popular around kids, aren't you?"

"Oh, no. I just love taking care of small creatures." Fluttershy's shy smile became a concerned frown. "Oh my. Oh, you look...um...I'm sorry...you look so tired."

Ash smiled weakly. "I feel tired," he said. He yawned. "You checked on Twilight yet?"

"Oh yes. I'm glad she's back to normal even if she seems so tired right now." Fluttershy's smile returned. "We knew we could count on you, Ash. Thank you."

"I-it was nothing, really."

"If it were nuthin' why'd yah keep snorin' in class," Apple Bloom asked as her two friends struggled to contain their laughter.

"It's nothing," Ash assured as Fluttershy's eyes widened. "Like I said, I'm a little fatigued from the ordeal but I'll be fine. Oh and..." Ash lowered his voice and beckoned the yellow mare closer. "If you could, I'd appreciate it if my involvement in the entire thing wasn't common knowledge. I think it'd be best if everyone believed Twilight figured out how to fix everything instead."

"If you say so..."

"Thanks. Oh, and please don't let Twilight know I fell asleep in class."

"Of course not," Fluttershy said with a quiet giggle.

Ash sighed, relieved. "Thanks. Would you like to join us for a pastry or something? I mean, that is if you're not busy or anything."

"I'd love to, I really do, but I'm so sorry. Pinkie Pie needs me to hand out all invitations." The Pegasus gasped. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I got so caught up talking I forgot I..." Fluttershy fumbled with the strap on her saddlebags before delivering four small envelops. "Um, Pinkie told me I could sing if I wanted but..."

"It's fine." Ash stared at the invitation. "I-it's not going to explode this time, will it?"

Both the Unicorn and the Pegasus jumped as confetti shot into the air with a loud bang.

"You're invited to Twilight's Congrats on Turning Back Into a Pony from a Hairless Ape Monster party," Scootaloo read as bits of the plain envelope mingled with the colored paper.

"Punch and cupcakes will be served as well as a very special piñata," continued Sweetie Belle, shaking her head as confetti rained into her hair. "BYOB: bring your own bat."

"Cheap tail extensions, for when your stallion...wait, what?" Apple Bloom pulled her head back from the paper and quickly reread it. "Ah think this got mixed with Pinkie's invites," she said, looking up. "How long are yah two gonna stay up there?"

Fluttershy's blush grew. "Um, Ash, do you mind letting go of me?"

"N-not at this height."

*****

"Sorry."

"No, it's my fault..."

The Cutie Mark Crusaders rolled their eyes as Ash and Fluttershy tripped over each other in their attempts to apologize.

"It's fine, really..."

"I didn't mean to..."

"Hey Fluttershy," Scootaloo finally interjected. "Those bags look real full. How many ponies do you still have to invite?"

"Oh no," Fluttershy gasped. "I'm so sorry but I really need to get going."

"Of course. Uh, sorry for taking your time."

"I had a wonderful time talking with you, i-if you don't mind me saying."

"Same here. Um...I suppose I-we'll be seeing you later?"

"Oh yes. I could never miss one of Pinkie's parties, especially for a friend." The mare shivered. "It's just a little hard for me to talk to all the other guests, I guess."

"Yeah, I-"

Apple Bloom planted her hoof on her face as both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo groaned toward the heavens. In his current state, Ash didn't take the hint. Fluttershy thankfully did however and politely excused herself with a soft coy good bye. Ash's eyes followed her for a moment before shaking his head.

"Must be more tired than I thought."

"Huh?" Sweetie prodded the older pony's side. "What's up?"

"Nothing, nothing," Ash said, shaking his head. "Just...for a second I thought I was talking to an old friend. Argh, I really do need some sleep."

"What 'bout some coffee?" Apple Bloom suggested. "Big Mac's always drinkin' that black stuff in tha morning. Never shares."

Ash shook his head. Caffeine would not help; he knew, he tried. "It'll just make my head hurt more." He turned to the three fillies. "Sorry girls. I don't think..." Ash quickly turned away. As long as he couldn't see those little quivering eyes and those shaking lips, he'd be fine. "I don't think I can play today."

"Oh, that's fine," Sweetie Belle said.

"Yeah," added Scootaloo. "Who said anything about playing anyways."

"...I mean I don't think I'm up for any...crusading."

"WHAT?"

Oh my head. Please, for the love of God, stop bleeding.

"I'm sorry. But unless you three want to try being Cutie Mark Crusader Nap Takers-"

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADER NAP TAKERS! YAY!"

"Wait," Scootaloo considered as Ash fell to the ground, clutching his head and ears. "Haven't we tried that already?"

"Nah, that was Cutie Mark Crusader Pillow Testers."

"Hold on," interjected Sweetie Belle. "What about the party?"

"Oh yeah." Apple Bloom taped her chin. "Guess we've gotta postpone crusadin' fer today."

"Wonderful..." Ash muttered, finally on all fours. He began to walk away.

"Where are you going?" Scootaloo asked as she and her friends quickly caught up.

"Home...the library. To lie down. And sleep."

"But Ash," Sweetie Belle whined, "you can't miss a Pinkie Pie Party." She lowered her voice. "Who knows what she'll do." All three fillies shivered as their imaginations ran wild.

The library came into view. "I just need a short nap." It wasn't entirely a lie. Short is subjective after all. "Just a nap." The door was now in reach. Ash extended his hoof. "Where is the party anyways?"

"Um..." Scootaloo looked back to her invitation. "Says here the Golden Oak-"

"SURPRISE!"

An loud thunk rang through the library as Ash's horn found itself dug deep into the ceiling.

"Piñata's up!" Pinkie shouted triumphantly.

"Piñata," Spike repeated, holding the long list and quill. "Check. That's it for decorations," he declared, tossing the list to the side.

"Aw, we fergot tah bring any bats," Apple Bloom said, frowning as she looked up at the dangling Unicorn.

"That's okay," giggled Pinkie Pie. "We still got plenty of time before Twilight wakes up and the party really starts."

"Besides," said Rainbow Dash as she swooped over and dropped some clubs onto the Crusaders' unprotected heads. "I brought extras."

Pinkie rubbed her hooves together in anticipation as the cyan Pegasus was subjected to the wraith of two protective older sisters. "I'm sure he'll spew candy this time! Ash, are you ready?"

The Unicorn answered with a snore.

"Aw, he's asleep." Pinkie set her own club aside and sighed. "Guess we'll have to use the backup," she said dejectedly, gesturing to a small paper mâché figure Spike was working on.

"No need," Applejack grumbled, giving a tied up Rainbow Dash a kick. "Got yah piñata right 'ere."

"No! I'm too awesome to be stuffed with candy!"

*****

The royal gardens were, for the moment, off limits. Visitors were redirected by stern guards in golden armor to other attractions in Canterlot, including the wonderful palace gift shop, the Royal Guard recruitment headquarters, and a local donut eatery, never mind that it was far too early for donuts.

When questioned, these gold-plated enforcers of Equestrian law did what they were best at: keeping silent. Through vigorous training, these fine ponies had mastered the art of acting like a statue and eventually even the most curious pony lost interest and left with a few pictures of themselves making funny faces at the guards.

In all honest, not a single one could answer why exactly the princesses had barred all entry into the stone gardens and the center maze.

One could accuse Princess Celestia of being shadowy and underhanded for keeping a secret from even her most trusted guards. Of course, if one knew the reason the princess had, one would most likely, in panic, have started one of the largest riots in Equestrian history.

The princess sat before a certain statue, glaring at it with the intensity that could rival the glare of the sun. The stone depicted the most perplexing beast Celestia had the displeasure in knowing. It had the slivery slender body of a serpent that was covered in fur, once brown but now grey as rock. A pair of mismatched horns stuck out of its head and the rest of the face contorted in fear and in panic. Two legs, one like a pony and the other like that of an eagle, were outstretched, as if attempting to escape from something.

"Discord," Celestia muttered, her long horn glowing vibrantly. A faint glow surround the statue. "What are you planning?"

A flutter of feathery wings from behind her caught Celestia's attention and she let the spell falter. "Hello, sister," she greeted with a tired smile.

Princess Luna responded with a majestic smile of her own. She's been flossing Celestia observed, impressed. A thousand years in exile on the moon had not been kind on Luna's teeth and it had been a mix of miracles and the Princess of the Night's own tenacity that save her from the modern torture device known as braces.

Luna walked over to her older sister's side. "Hello, dear sister," she said, giving her a nuzzle. Both were larger than other ponies but it was quite obvious just who was the elder. Size was not the only difference between the two as while Luna was as dark as the night she guarded, Celestia was white. Both had long billowy manes but Luna's was dark with dots of white light, like the night sky, while Celestia's were waves of greens, pinks, and blues, like an aurora.

Luna's horn now glowed, covering the statue with her own magic. She frowned.

"I feel nothing, sister."

Celestia nodded solemnly. "Neither did I. And that bothers me. The seal had not weakened. There have been no hint of his influence." The white Alicorn began to pace. "So what was it that we sense before?"

She fell silent and stared at the statue, demanding answers with her glare. As expected, she received none.

"Celestia," the younger princess said, "I will continue the vigil. The sun must be set and the moon must take its place. Then, I implore you, get some sleep."

"I suppose..." Celestia agreed, spreading her wings to take flight. "Call me at once if anything changes. We cannot take him alone."

"I understand," said Luna with a nod. "I remember well."

Celestia gave her younger sister an affectionate nuzzle, then took to the air. Luna watched her fly off into the distance and shortly after, the sky grew orange as the sun fell to the horizon.

The starry sky was a magnificent beauty but in Luna's eyes, it paled in comparison to the sight of the evening sunset. A second, just a mere damnable second, an old jealousy seized the princess. She shook her head and growled.

We were meant to rule together.

The sun disappeared. Luna's horn shined as the moon now shined in the sky. Guards were relieved and replaced. The gold-plated stallions gave nods and traded quips with their darker brethren.

The Princess of the Night was on watch.

*****

Twilight's eyes reluctantly opened. The resounding echoes of a loud thud still rang in the Unicorn's ears.

She closed her eyes, fighting for sleep's warm embrace. But like a lover scorn and hurt, Twilight's slumber refused to return, having moved on. With groan, Twilight pushed the blankets back and sat up in her bed. According to the small clock sitting on her bed stand, it was around five.

The Unicorn pulled away the window curtains warily and looked outside. The sun was not out but it was too bright to be evening. Additionally, Twilight could see no ponies about. It must be early morning then, Twilight concluded.

Twilight stretched and got out of bed. No point in staying in bed if she could not sleep the Unicorn decided. She turned to the mirror and blinks. Is that...it was. A large purple cone party hat sits on Twilight's head. She removes the hat, setting it to the side, revealing her horn underneath.

Twilight scratches her head, trying to recall the events last night. Was cider involved? The Unicorn smacked her lips. No, there was no nasty aftertaste in her mouth. She really need to brush her teeth however.

Her frustration grew as Twilight realized that the entirety of yesterday was missing from her memories, not just of last night. She remembered talking to Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, talking to Ash, sending Ash to school like a foal, sitting down for breakfast...

Speaking of which...

Twilight's stomach growled, cutting into her thoughts. It's a little early for breakfast Twilight thought. Her belly rumbled in protest. But I suppose a snack won't hurt.

She looked over to the basket her assistant used as a bed. Twilight smiled as she watched Spike's body rise as he snored. A green party hat, much like the one she had been wearing, laid next to him. A long piece of ribbon was clenched in his claw.

Twilight considered waking the dragon up. He seemed to have answers. She thought better as Spike rolled in sleep and shoving a thumb into his mouth, mumbling something that sounded awfully like "Twilight". Her smile grew.

Quietly, the purple Unicorn descended down the stairs that connected the main library to her personal living space. She raised an eyebrow when she discovered a sleeping Pinkie Pie at the bottom the stairs, wearing another party hat and covered in confetti bits and candy wrappers before simply shrugging and continuing onward. This was not the strangest position Twilight had ever found the pink party pony and experience told her that any investigation of any depth simply led to the obvious: Pinkie Pie was Pinkie Pie.

Perhaps if Twilight hasn't been so tired she may have found it suspicious that she, Spike, and Pinkie all wore the same cone hats, differing only in color. Perhaps if Twilight wasn't so hungry, she would have noted all the streamers, the trays of baked goods gone cold, the punch bowl, the large banner saying "Congrats on Turning Back Into a Pony from a Hairless Ape Monster" with a crude rendition of the purple haired girl she had been. The fangs made a nice touch, she and Ash would later agree.

Perhaps if Twilight's attention had not been completely diverted to the white-haired young man laying on his back, rubbing his neck and rear, and muttering obscenities, she may have been able to connect the dots herself.

"Good morning Ash."

"Humph."