• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 821 Views, 21 Comments

Impossible - Neiha



I'm a levelheaded person. I'm not easily taken out of my element. Waking up in a forest I never remembered going into was one thing that took me aback, but what hit harder was learning where I actually was.

  • ...
8
 21
 821

Chapter 1: Waking Up

I awoke lazily, as I tend to do, stretched my arms wide and gave the the morning a hearty yawn. I plopped my head back down on the soft pillows of my bed again as I considered just lazing the day away. My mind was fuzzy as I tried to force myself to get up and get ready for work. What day was it anyway? I was able to persuade myself to take a dreaded look at my alarm clock and pray that I could sleep in just this once. I opened my eyes just wide enough to look at those familiar electrical digits that had ruined many of my mornings.

This wasn't my room.

In fact, this wasn't my house or any other I was familiar with.

This house was rustic and woodsy with a persistent but mild musky pine smell. I took in more of my surroundings to note that there were wooden and stone shelves and furniture all neatly arranged around the abode. Many of these looked to be in a stair-like arrangement although I realized the stone was accompanied by pats and pans with a wood fire burning within it. Hanging from the ceiling there were birdhouses of all shapes and sizes as well as a continuation of those stair appliances that were tied to small wooden poles overhead. The ceiling had a division between the front and the rear of the home so I couldn't see the side towards the door but my side had a large beam of solid wood that was surrounded by wooden paneling. As I gazed downward again I took note of the solitary rug on top of the odd green wooden floor. It's centerpiece was a simple flower that was surrounded by a frame of soft reds and pinks as it made its way o the fluffy flamingo-pink lining that made up it's border. It looked soft enough for me to snuggle up on and pass out without a second thought. I returned my gaze to eye level and saw there were three exits to the room on this level and what looked to be a proper staircase leading to a second level on my right hand side. The main doorway caught my attention when I saw some accents traced in the wood around it's border. There was a bright pink heart followed by trailing butterflies all around the entrance. As I circled my gaze around I noticed a very similar theme continue around. There was a set of windows in front and behind the couch that I was resting on. Further to my left was a portrait of yet more butterflies being trailed by rainbows in the midst of a flowery scene. It was quite a cute portrait but it helped push home the whole feminine vibe I was getting from this house. Even the sitting chair in the corner had a yellow heart-shaped cushion on it. On top of that it looked like this house was set up for pets......like a lot of pets. The birdhouses were one thing but there was at least four pet beds on the floor in this room alone and I had a feeling those miniature stairs were meant for miniature feet to traipse along them.

I was unnerved now to say the least but I was never terribly uncomfortable when I woke up in unfamiliar territory. What through me for a loop though was that this wasn't a run-down motel or unkempt bachelor pad after a night of partying. This was a well maintained home that seemed to prioritize the care of small creatures.

I pushed the thought from my mind as got out of bed and tried to find the host that had been so gracious as to let me stay the night. When I removed the comforters from my body and stood up from the couch I had noticed a familiar feeling across my body.

Sure I preferred to sleep in the nude but I didn't EVER do that in another person's home. I quickly snatched a smaller blanket from my resting place and rapped it around my waist for some slight attempt at modesty. Turned out it was in the nick of time too as I turned about to see the face of my host come in from the next room.

My discovery of Fluttershy in the forest suddenly hit me like a freight train and I nearly lost consciousness again. I staggered forward as my knees trembled and began to buckle as my head felt light and my eyes began to fade. As I began to see the floor come closer to my face, a pink a yellow blur sped straight under me to keep me from falling over. With this new found support I was able to stay awake and keep my face from a nice greeting with the wooden floor, but I still found myself on my knees and face to face with a fictitious magical flying pony.

"Are you okay?" Fluttershy said in the cutest and most caring way I could've ever imagined "You, um, shouldn't try to walk yet. You've been out for quite a while."

I sat there and looked her dead in the face with the worst case of slack-jaw I had ever experienced. Here was the very same Fluttershy that I had come to know from watching MLP:FiM. Put simply I was awestruck and as a result was rendered temporarily mute, immovable, and dumb.

"There, there. Let's get you back to bed." Fluttershy crooned softly as I felt her try to help me to my feet.

At her gentle nudging I was brought back to this lovely delusion and was able to find words again.

"You're a pony." I chimed. I guess the dumb wasn't gone yet.

"Yes. My name is Fluttershy. Do you have a name?" she spoke softly.

"Yeah...yeah my name, it's Jayson...Jayson Rascas." I pushed the words slowly out of my mouth.

"Oh wow! That's an unusual name." Fluttershy said with surprise and wonder "Oh, but, um.... It's a nice name though." she assured

Funny, I could say the same to her. "Thanks," I said breathlessly.

She had nudged me gently back to the couch where I fell unceremoniously on the cushions. Standing up had become hard all of a sudden. I was to fixated on how I could possibly be seeing all this. My head kept getiing lighter while my vision got darker. I was sober (to my knowledge) and to my knowledge I didn't have a history of delusions.

At least not until recently.

The darkness was replaced with a memory.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in the forest again. Jester's laughing was high pitched shrill was sounding an echo in my head as Grim was using my hands to break the wings of an unlucky bird. He let it go to writhe on the ground, hopelessly trying to fly away from it's predator. I normally tuned out when these two went to work but this time was different. This time Grim let go and gave me back the reins as Jester cackled in delight.

Grim peeled a grin ear to ear as he said "I'll let you handle this one, don't let me down." to me.

I obeyed as I began to grin as well. I then knelt down and slowly grasped the bird again, it's soothing chirps turned to pleas for mercy. The cries pushed me forward as I gripped one leg delicately and slowly began to apply pressure. I pulled the strength in my tendons slowly together, winding my natural vice tighter as the pain built with just as much cruel delay. It snapped at the apex with a harsh twerp to accompany it. I widen my smile and did the same to the next leg. Next came the feathers. I pulled with the same tortured patience on each feather from each broken wing was torn from the body. Each squeal from my subject impelled me to continue. I did. I continued on and on until there was barely a shred of this bird left, yet still it cried for that final mercy. It cried and cried and I knew it wanted the pain to stop. I knew it and I would let it. At this thought, Grim had started laughing in a dreadful howl alongside Jester's ever present snickering. They laughed and laughed in a callous duet while I squeezed the life from this bird. When the meager resistance under my palms had stopped, I gazed upon my work and joined them. We laughed and laughed in a wicked harmony at my initiation to madness.

I laughed away humanity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was then suddenly screaming.

Poor Fluttershy was scared by my sudden outburst. She leaped backwards and hide behind her pink mane. However she followed this by inching closer, ever so slowly, and uttered the most impossibly cute apology.

"Oh.......oh........ oh my......I'm so so so so sorry! I didn't mean to scare you again. I'm sorry, please calm down." said Fluttershy.

Here I was screaming my head off in a cottage owned by a Pegasus while she was trying to calm me down because she thought SHE scared ME I don't think anything else in the world could have brought me back to (pseudo-)reality at that moment but, even while I was in hysterics, Fluttershy's cuteness and genuinely kind heart couldn't be defeated. I reeled myself back with some effort.

I was able to calm myself, albeit at a slow pace, and I returned to look at my concerned caretaker. This was indeed Fluttershy as I had known her but of course three dimensional and real. Now you may think that goes without saying but the realization of that at that time was astounding to me. Her head stood around four feet. Her dimensions looked so similar to that of the cartoon but it looked natural. All of her points of figure made it seem like she was just like any other fully intelligent quadruped equine. However there were very many semblances to human distinctions. I could see the soft curves of her face give way to all of her features. The display of her facial structure, the bone and muscle tissues working smoothly together underneath her fur, was both delicate and striking. Her smooth, fine fur could be seen clearly with a bright sheen that almost seemed to make her yellow coat shine independently of any lighting. Her mane was a warm pink that flowed without so much as a stray hair all the way down her neckline and hung nearly at her hooves. All of her features accented each other to reach the textbook definition of adorable. After a while I realized I was staring.

"No no, I'm sorry. You didn't scare me. It was my own fault." I tried to assure her.

"Are you sure?" asked Fluttershy, "This is the second time I seem to have scared you, I really feel awful about it too."

The frown that crossed her face was so heart breaking you'd think that I burned her house down. What I did was automatic. I hurdled out of the bed, hugged her firmly around the neck and brought her close to my chest.

"Please don't frown. I swear you didn't scare me." I promised "With a face as cute as that, I don't think you could if you tried."

I thought she would be more surprised or at least protest the hug but instead she leaned in and nuzzled her soft mane into me to reciprocate. And when I soft, I mean THE softest thing I have ever touched in my life. It was ten times fluffier than the feeling I always imagined clouds would be like. Time and space just seemed to melt away.

"Um, hello?" Fluttershy cooed.

I snapped back to reality and removed my hands from her. I thought I saw a faint blush on her, hard to tell with all the fur. I'm pretty sure the blush I had going stomped her's though.

"Well it's good to know you're not scared of me." Fluttershy muttered softly.

"Sorry. I can get a bit enthusiastic at times." I explained

"That's ok, .....are you all like that?" Fluttershy asked

I tilted my head dumbly to the side and replied "All who like that?"

"Oh well, your species. I'm sorry but you're the first I've ever seen." stated Fluttershy.

This made me pause for a bit. It reminded me that I was gone, or at least lost. I didn't necessarily believe I was in a show for cartoon ponies but I knew I wasn't anywhere near my home. The landscape, the fauna, even the sky was different, and I knew after all the time struggling to survive that it was real. I was in a real place but it wasn't anywhere close to home. The thought of my family and friends being even further away than I dared imagine blew away any sense of mystical wonder I might have had at being here. I was alone, no matter how many ponies may exist alongside me. That thought brought with it a sad and hopeless feeling. I tried to shrug it off.

"No.......not all of us. I...I think I might be the only human here though." I replied.

"Hu-man? I've never heard of that animal before." Fluttershy pondered aloud "Not many animals speak Equestrian either."

I almost laughed at the "animal" remark. She's not wrong I suppose. "Well, humans aren't like most animals, and where I come from this language is called English."

" Oh! Where are you from?" She spurted out enthusiastically.

This took me back a bit. Wasn't Fluttershy supposed to be......shy? I thought for sure that she should be terrified of a viscous human running rampant through the forest. She was only supposed to get along well with animals so why does she seem so....oh. Great she thought I was the equivalent of a talking hairless gorilla with skinny arms. I Maybe next she'll teach me tricks and show me off to the town.

That would actually be a terrible idea.

"Listen Fluttershy, I don't know if telling you much about me is a good idea. I'm a little.....complicated and some answers I give could make things........complicated." I explained. She looked at me with ever more curiosity but stayed silent and crooked her head. "That said, I don't want to lie to you and you deserve some answers for your hospitality. I don't know what would have happened to me if I was still left in those woods." Although I could definitely guess "For now you can ask your questions but if I say I can't answer then I really can't answer." I was treading a fine line. I had no idea what my knowledge of this place could do even if it was simply stated. Last thing I needed to happen was for Fluttershy to break into an existential crisis. But before she asked anymore questions I had one question for her. "Before that starts though I have to ask. Does anyone else know about me being here?"

"Ah guess that's mah cue." Answered a familiar drawl from my left.

I sighed, looked over and saw the face of a familiar orange earth pony donning her ever present cowboy hat over her straw blonde mane. Part of me wondered how long she had been there. I groaned a bit at the implications of her presence.

Fluttershy saw my took note of my reaction and quickly uttered an assurance, "I just needed some help getting you out of the woods. After you fell.......I didn't want to drag you all the way here on my own, you were hurt."

"Great......if Applejack knows.........." I mumbled to myself, ignoring the pleasant yellow mare.

I learn't then that pony hearing was substantially better than I gave it credit for.

"Uh, 'scuse mah interruption but......how do y'all know my name?" Applejack asked me.

I froze. Another brilliant move on my part. Better try to plug the hole before the ship sinks. I shifted my mouth to autopilot as my brain scrambled for an explanation.

I began with, "I actually know quite a bit more than that." That didn't help. "I can't tell you how until I know it's safe, until then bear with me and I swear I'll tell you whatever you want to know."

Fluttershy seemed to understand and remained quiet, Applejack didn't quite like the message though.

"Sorry pardner, but Ah'm havin' a tough time believin' that. How could yer answerin' my question hurt anythin'?" Applejack reasoned.

She had me by the balls. If I didn't do something to convince her then this could get ugly.

"Oh AJ, I'm sure he's got his reasons, let's hear him out ok?" Fluttershy said.

Fluttershy standing up for me was possibly one of the most surreal things I had ever experienced. What made it really hit it home though was that it worked.

Applejack responded with, "Ahright Fluttershy, but Ah still don' know 'bout this one. Ah mean, we don' even know what he is."

"If it makes you feel any better I'm a human." I replied. AJ gave me a non-committal shrug with her front shoulders. She wasn't entirely satisfied but she would let it be for now. With that matter settled, I decided to continue. "If you already know I'm here then I might as well explain all this to the others. It'll save time that way and I'll probably need to tell you all eventually."

"You wan' us to get the whole town together?" Applejack asked. The look on her face told me that this wouldn't be a feasible plan.

I thought for a moment before starting, "No. I should only need the six of you. With any luck the Elements of Harmony should send get me back." It was a decent enough plan I suppose but I forgot about one critical element in my setup.

"You know 'bout the Elements ah Harmony?" Applejack so kindly brought to my attention.

I just couldn't keep myself from fucking myself over could I?

"Oh......uh.....yeah." My eloquence was certainly something to behold. Applejack tried to raise more concern but Fluttershy simply gave her a gentle nudge and shook her head. I have no idea why that pony had such patience with me. "I hate to ask but I'm gonna need you're help, and hopefully afterwords I'll be out of your hair."

Applejack eyeballed me for a bit. "..........Ahright." she said as she turned to leave "Ah'll go get Twi, and Pinkie. Fluttershy you go get Dash and Rarity. We'll meet back here. I don' think it's a good idea to have 'im walkin' all up 'n down Ponyville."
She launched a challenging smirk in my direction. "Sound good ta you?"

"Wait......you just believe me now?" I blurted out, missing everything past her agreement.

She actually curled up a grin and said "Ah think you're a peck odd but I trust Fluttershy an' she believes ya. S'all I need to know."

On that note she trotted out leaving Fluttershy and myself alone. I thought over the fact that I was going to actually meet the mane six. I pushed away the promising prospect, I couldn't reveal too much remember. It did remind me that I was wearing a only blanket and a I couldn't remember my last bath. I couldn't very well meet them all in my current state. I quickly asked Fluttershy where I could wash up and where my clothes were. She told me there was a basin and a spigot out back that I could use with soap and shampoo being in the upstairs cupboard. My clothes were also out to dry on the line. As she made her way to leave I thought over all that she had done for me.

I felt a surge of self-loathing. Why? Why would this pony even think to help me? She didn't know me, where I was from, or even whether or not I could be a threat to others. I very well could be a threat, however she had no way to know that. I had done horrible things to keep myself alive, and maybe even worse things for no reason at all. Killing to survive had broken me. I wasn't worthy of anyone's efforts and I was a danger to those around me. I hung my head in shame and remorse. "I don't deserve any of this." I whispered to myself. I deserved punishment for my actions. Being as I was the only witness to my crimes, that left one option. I felt myself sink lower and lower into my thoughts, back to a time that I had lost all hope. It was the only other time I had even thought of suicide. "Perhaps I won't bother them anymore after all."

"STOP THAT!" screamed Fluttershy in a voice that I had never heard before. I looked up and saw her face filled with a mixture of fear, concern and pure unbridled anger. I had never seen her like this in any episode and I had never heard her yell at anything besides a dragon. Needless to say, it snapped my attention straight to her as she continued on. "I don't want to ever hear anyone say that!" Say what? I only whispe- oh, pony hearing. Gotcha. Fluttershy tried to explain, "You fell unconscious and I thought I hurt you. I felt so bad, I had to help. I was able to get you back here with AJ but you wouldn't wake up." She looked to be close to the edge of tears but still held on to that angry look in her eye. There was something else there too know that I think about it. It might have been regret. She slowed down a bit, "I saw the traps. I know you... I've seen your teeth." What? What do my teeth have to do with... oh. She must have been able to guess my diet, but that would mean she knew almost immediately what I'd had to do.

I tried to ask her, "So then why try to..."

She cut me off, "Because you were hurt. You were alone, hurt, and you might have died." I was shocked. This wasn't like any other time I had seen Fluttershy. She wan't scared or shy or anything of the like. She was angry, not a mildly annoyed kind of angry either but I full blown 'never-do-that-again' kind of angry. I don't think this was about what I did...but what I said. She continued, "I wanted to help, you needed my help," She turned around, exit the hut and, as she closed the door, said, "Let me."

With that I was alone in a fictional cabin. My thoughts had been successfully diverted as I could only think about why Fluttershy would ever act that way. I'd never even thought she was capable of something like that. I failed miserably at any solid conclusion and eventually got myself moving again. I needed to get ready for the group to arrive. It was my only solid shot at getting all of this behind me and I would surely have a lot to answer for. I washed myself as I prepared for their arrival.

For the first time in a while I got a good look at myself. I got skinny. I was always thin but I had at least had enough of myself to cover my bones. I was gaunt and delicate looking. I was reminded of old holocaust photographs. I don't think I looked that bad but there was a similarity. My arms and legs were scant and my chest was narrow. I wasn't exactly a barrel-chested hulk before all this but this was extreme. My muscles were always thin and corded so that and my naturally slim physique scaled down to a point that I looked close to a human stick figure. I would need to fix that.

My shirt was in ruins despite it's cleaning. I couldn't even believe it stayed on my newly narrowed frame. I opted to forget the shirt and check my pants. The jeans were torn up to be sure but they still served the job of protecting a modicum of decency. I slipped on my underwear and jeans and returned to the cottage. All that was left was to wait.

Applejack came back first followed by Twlight and Pinkie. Man, I could hear Pinkie clearly even through the walls of the cabin. "-at's so important AJ? Is it a surprise? I LOVE surprises! Are there gonna be balloons and banners and-" Pinkie rambled.

Twilight interrupted her "Pinkie it's probably not going to be a party, I think. Actually, AJ you didn't tell us a lot. What is it we came here for?" Before AJ could respond I decided to take the lead.

"I think I can answer that." I called through the door. "I have to warn you though, I'm probably gonna startle you a bit."

"Oooo! Who is that? It's nopony I know and I know everypony well ALMOST everypony I don't know him I think it's a him-" Pinkie started.

I opened the door during Pinkie's rant to let them in. My oh my would you not believe the look on their faces. Pinkie let out a gasp so long that I thought she would collapse. Twilight was silent but she had a look of amazement in her eyes. I could see the questions forming behind her gaze. Before she could voice them however I held up a hand and said, "Hold on. I know this is probably got you thinking a whole bunch of things but I have to ask you guys to hold off the questions until the rest of you get here. It'll be easier if I only go over this all once. For now you can call me Jayson, pleased to meet you."

I could see Twilight didn't like the prospect of waiting, and neither did Pinkie for that matter, but they agreed. Soon enough Fluttershy returned with Rainbow Dash and Rarity in tow and a similar exchange was had. Rarity was much more composed but still seemed taken aback. Rainbow however was almost violent towards me. She looked at me as if I was poised to attack. I couldn't blame her but it didn't make me feel any better about what I had to say. I sat down on the couch and ushered them all to follow. I took a deep breath and began.

"My name is Jayson Rascas. I am a human and I am in a bit of a problem. I'm far away from home and I will probably need the Elements of Harmony to get me back. I understand that you've all probably got your own questions and concerns and that asking for your help in this is a huge request, so I am willing to answer any questions you may have." I said. Thank goodness I never had a problem talking to groups before. That said I was incredibly nervous. Here was THE mane six, sitting right in front of me.

To my surprise, Rainbow was the first to respond. Not only a fast flier but fast with words too I guess. She asked "What are you even doing here then?"

Of all the questions that I had thought they would ask, this one I missed. In fact, this one I had never even thought to ask myself. I sat down in front of a rainbow assortment of fantasy characters speaking to me but never once from the forest to this instance did I stop to think why.

Why am I here? How did I get here?

A faint memory came to me. A memory of my home.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait. Thanks again for reading!