• Published 25th Sep 2011
  • 2,943 Views, 11 Comments

An Unsuccessful Date - sammyberry



Rainbow Dash and Applejack try and go on a date.

  • ...
3
 11
 2,943

The Sort-of Date

Applejack trotted back and forth between the apple trees. She was really worrying about Rainbow Dash. Their last outing hadn't gone the way she had wanted to at all! Of course, that was probably because of Twilight, but still.... Applejack couldn't stop reliving that magical moment. She had been thinking it was almost too good to be true, and unfortunately, she was right. Applejack groaned.

How could she do or say anything in front of Rainbow Dash now? She really didn't want to go to Twilight, considering she was the one who had destroyed the perfect occurrence in the first place. But what other pony could she approach? Applejack was pretty sure Rainbow Dash liked her back, especially with that little scene. But she wanted to be sure. Applejack didn't want to lure herself in on false pretenses.

Applejack continued her pacing, leaving deep trenches in her repeating journey. She was so involved with her thoughts that she almost fell into a hole. Big Mac grabbed her tail and yanked her back. He had come from nowhere, but had come at the right moment.

Applejack flung herself into Big Mac and started crying. "Oh, brother, I don't know what to do! I really love Rainbow Dash, but it's just so hard to confess! And every time we try and have a date or something somepony always ruins it! It's not fair!" Applejack sniffed and said quietly, "Maybe it's not meant to be,"

Big Mac had been taken off guard, so he didn't say anything for a few moments. He looked down at Applejack and said, "Now AJ, this just ain't like you. If yer this emotional about Dash than ya gotta say somethin'. Otherwise, ya might spill somethin' to the wrong pony and then BAM! Rumors'll be ignitin' faster'n a forest fire. Come on, AJ. Ya gotta tell her. At least give her a hint or somethin',"

Applejack sniffed again and sighed. "Maybe yer right, Big Mac. There's only one way to figure this out, and that's to tell Rainbow Dash herself! Thank ya big brother," Applejack galloped away, eager to go find Rainbow and confess.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Meanwhile...

"...can't believe you let yourself do that! On MY date!" Rainbow Dash was grumbling. She was over at Twilight's, which was still a cluttered mess. Twilight's ears fell down and she whispered, "I-I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash... I don't know why I acted that way. It was totally not like me. I'm usually very sophisticated," Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes at that comment but otherwise ignored it.

"You stayed up too darn late, Twilight! If you didn't have an idea you could've simply told me and I could've helped you out!" she gave an exasperated sigh. "Now she probably never wants to see me again. We were doing just fine until you interrupted us and made it awkward!" Rainbow Dash sat on the floor, her eyes brimming with tears. She blinked them away, feeling them fall down onto her hooves.

Twilight bit her lip and approached Rainbow Dash cautiously. “I’m sorry, Rainbow. Really, If I had known I’d act crazy I wouldn’t have gone. I would ask if there was anything I could help you with, but… I don’t think you really want my help anymore…” Rainbow Dash glared at Twilight.

Rainbow sighed and said, “Well, I forgive you, but Applejack probably doesn’t want anything to do with me anymore.

Twilight looked up. “Oh, I doubt that, Rainbow Dash! Through my haziness, I could tell that Applejack was really enjoying herself. I’m sure…” Rainbow Dash was glaring at her. “Um… did I say something wrong?”

“You could tell AJ was enjoying herself? And you still INTERRUPTED!?!?” Rainbow Dash leaped forward, trying to grab at Twilight. Twilight shrieked and ran out of the way. “Rainbow Dash! Calm down! I said I was sorry!”

Rainbow Dash looked at Twilight, eyes glowing with frustration. She sighed and fell onto the floor. “OW!!!” she yelped, bursting up into the air. She had fallen on a bookmark sticking out of a book on the ground. And it was sharp.

Rainbow Dash peered down at the bookmark, then slowly flew down to read the book. Twilight looked at her questioningly. “And why are you interested in my agriculture book?” She asked. Rainbow looked up at her and said, “Well if it’s agriculture, maybe I can learn how to plant some things with Applejack and “bond” that way,”

Twilight nodded, slowly understanding. “I get it. But I’m just going to assume you don’t want my help,” she said. Dash turned back to the book. “No, thanks. I’m going to go ask Big Mac if he can help me practice. Do you mind if I take this book?” she asked.

Twilight nodded and said, “Yeah, maybe that’s how I can help you! Let you use my book!” Dash looked at her and smirked. “Sure, let’s go with that. Thanks Twilight!” with that she picked up the book and flapped her wings. She zoomed out of the library and left Twilight alone.

“So… will you help me?” Rainbow Dash said, annoyed. This was the fourth time she’d asked Big Mac and he STILL hadn’t answered her.

He looked at her with his half-closed eyes, like he was trying hard not to go to sleep. “Well, see the thing is, RD, I’m kinda busy with the orchard an’ all, I don’t know if I got any time fer ya. I mean, teachin’ ya how ta plant an’ grow things, it’d take a lotta time, time I just ain’t got. Why don’t ya ask AJ? I’m sure she’d love ta help ya,” with that he started to walk away, chewing on his sprig of wheat.

“No!” Rainbow cried, trying to push him back with all her might. Big Macintosh simply kept walking forward, as if Rainbow Dash wasn’t even there. “Look, RD, if ya really wanta learn, ya wouldn’t be so intent on makin’ me help ya practice. Ya’d jump at the best opportunity, and I ain’t it. I don’t see why you don’t go ta her in the first place,” he stopped and thought for a moment. “Actually, I just remembered somethin’. AJ was lookin’ fer ya earlier this mornin’. She had somethin’ ta tell ya, but she said she couldn’t find ya anywhere. Ya really should go ta her,” he walked around Rainbow Dash and continued on his walk to the orchard, smiling all the way.

Rainbow sat and stared at nothing in particular. Applejack had been looking for her? A smile slowly sneaked up and found its home on her lips. She tried to suppress her joyful excitement, but a rather loud yay filled the air. Suddenly she heard hoofprints behind her. Rainbow Dash turned and saw Applejack looking at her.

“Rainbow? What’re you doin’ here?” her face was expressionless, but Rainbow Dash could see the struggle Applejack was going through with her mouth. She almost slipped, and a small half-smile appeared for the briefest second on her lips. Her wonderful lips… Rainbow Dash shook her head and cleared her throat.

“UM, NO REASON, I JUST WANTED TO LEARN ABOUT FARMING,” she yelled. Applejack looked at her friend. “Um, are you ok, sugarcube?” she asked.

A shiver ran up Dash’s spine. Sure, Applejack called everypony “sugarcube”, but when she called her that, it sounded softer, and sweeter, and filled Dash’s ears with a wonderful sweet sounding music. Dash cleared her throat again and said, “Can you… um… teach me about farming?”

Applejack looked at her. “Since when have you been interested in farming?” Dash scraped her hoof along in the dirt. She shrugged and said, “I don’t know… but will you help me? I even have Twilight’s book on agriculture and farming with me!” She showed Applejack the book.

Applejack smiled and said, “Ok, sugarcube. I’ll help ya,” she turned around and started off towards the fields, and mouthed a yes! to herself.

Rainbow Dash did the same thing, and quickly followed her. They started off down the hill together, talking and laughing the whole way down.

Comments ( 6 )
#2 · Nov 20th, 2011 · · ·

MOAR! :applejackunsure: :duck:

:ajsmug::rainbowkiss: both: yes!

:eeyup: : Finally. Maybe they'll spill the beans. Ugh, I hope hey don't spill the GREEN beans, though... or the red beans, or the chili beans... now I'm all worried 'bout the crops. I hope they don't screw anything up.

GET ON WITH IT!

GET to the awesome appledash date scene! RBD wants that sweet apple pie!

comment said no comment. story is lacking depth or something. it has draw but not enough.

but do not give up or be discuraged keep going!

Login or register to comment