• Member Since 22nd Oct, 2012
  • offline last seen Oct 18th, 2013

static_refugee


T
Source

Octavia takes Vinyl out for a relaxing night at the symphony, but tensions can flare between even the closest of friends. Determined to figure out why things went wrong, Vinyl steps outside to catch some air...

Chapters (1)
Comments ( 17 )

Still think this is a phenomenal debut, friend.

I'm about to read this, but before I do, I just have to say: John Cage reference FOR THE WIN.

As a classical musician, I can honestly relate to a lot of this. Octavia's words are too true, and the way Vinyl was able to stay in-character while also develop is nicely done. I also like the pony-fied Tchaikovsky and Beethoven. Clever. :ajsmug:

2509379 Glad to hear it. 'Twas burning the midnight oil in writing a good chunk of it.

2509690 Good to know that I wasn't completely throwing caution to the wind with the musical theme. I can only say that I pretend to be a musician a few days a week, so it wasn't that difficult to throw out some related material.

Saw the title, and was all "naw son, it can't be?"

:pinkiehappy: nice John Cage reference

I enjoyed the story itself, and the imagery was excellent. It actually read like you might imagine 4'33" would play out in person, with random sounds of life popping in here and there even before Vinyl stepped outside. I also found it amusing that Vinyl didn't really begin to understand until she removed her tinted sunglasses...

I did find some of Octavia's argument a little odd. If – as Octavia states – music is the integration of sound and silence, and 4'33" is considered to be music, then why is Vinyl's 'music' considered to be 'noise'? I'm not really into dubstep, so maybe I'm missing something here. Is her music a constant stream of sound? Then it would make sense (at least from Octavia's perspective – there's always room for debate as to what 'music' actually is).

There are a couple of mechanical things you might want to know about:

her violently colored glasses

Did you mean to use the word violently, or violet?

brief gust of whistled in her ear

Missing a word.

There are also several paragraphs that aren't indented, which is slightly jarring with no spaces between the paragraphs.

Did you have a particular song in mind when you described Vinyl's composition? Because I totally want to hear this now.

This is a well done fic. I enjoyed reading it, and I'm looking out for more from you in the future!

2512392 In fact, I did have a weird fusion of songs in mind. Have you heard any of yourenigma's stuff on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBJoB8PBhgQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUYeVWhsLIM were what was in my head while writing.

2510256 Gah, I thought that I got all the formatting issues out of the way already... I'll get on that, thanks!

But yeah, I tried to use Vinyl's glasses as 'blinders' for her musical tastes, and I'm glad someone caught that bit. The entire bit behind Octavia's bit was that she stuck her foot in her mouth, and didn't mean to call dubstep 'noise'. But we're all aware of the stigma it has as just wubs and dubs and nothing more.

Also, yes, the use of the word "violently" was intentional, and thanks for pointing out that missed word! Would never have seen it without.

2513350 No worries, the formatting wasn't bad. There were just 2-3 paragraphs that weren't indented.

Thanks for explaining Octavia. I knew that she was tip-toeing around Vinyl's sensitivity, but I didn't quite get that she was actually trying to cover up her gaff about Vinyl's music.

But we're all aware of the stigma it has as just wubs and dubs and nothing more.

Well, I am now. ;) My taste in music covers a pretty wide range, but dubstep hasn't really ever been on my radar until now.

Anyway, excellent story. You obviously put a lot of thought into this.

2513551 Thank you much! I'm just glad that it was enjoyed, honestly.

I also wouldn't say that dubstep is meaningless, Its just like any other genre in that it has to be done tastefully to fully realize its potential. As far as electric music goes, I'm more partial to house style tunes. There's some really good dubstep out there, but you have to search a bit for it.

I read this the other day from the original Word doc, and I was quite impressed. For a first try (or second, third, fourth, ect...) this is really good! I found myself rooting for Vinyl about halfway through.

If you think you're going to continue to write more, I would not be averse to giving you a watch.
Overall rating...
encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzU-MITcQFdOne7SZlLq94aarN_vQBxGBGSWm-PrwcJ1Fe5WD9Qw

2515411 Thanks for the kind words! Yes I do plan on putting more stories up, at least once I regain access to a functioning word processor, so feel free to swing by when that happens.

But yeah, I'm still figuring out the upload system on here. I suppose that's what I get for saving every draft side by side... Live and learn, eh?

2516509
Maybe Cyne's already mentioned this, but... Google Docs?

2516558 He has indeed mentioned it, and I've taken the advice to heart after this little trial by fire with my silly MS Word habits.

I remembered when they played that at school....

Awesome piece of work.

Login or register to comment