The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30

Edit: There's a brony top 10 video of his favorite fanfics on youtube, and number 1 was Device Heretic's "Eternal". He refers to it as possibly one of the greatest stories ever made.

Opinions on Eternal aside, has there ever be a fanfic that you consider worthy of this category, something that satisfied almost every bit of criteria for a perfect reading experience?

906859 Well, Eternal is my number one pick too.:twilightsmile:

Also, I'd choose PatchworkPoltergeist's Somewhere Only We Know and Cold in Gardez's Naked Singularity.

Well, both my fics, Ptolemy (despite the myriad of errors of a starting writer) and All About Rarity (despite being clop), are said to be one of the best fics in the site by some of my commentators. I regard it to be one of the best compliments I received.

For myself, I bow to the following:

The Glass Blower by Cold in Gardez
Simple and short, but it has everything a fic needs: dynamic larger-than-life characters, beautiful prose, conflict, climax and an implicit philosophical theme.

Romance Reports by SleeplessBrony
One of the best clop and coming-of-age fics. Easy and very simple light reading. Although I recommend you read it only up to the chapter called "Bonus: Private Party" because I personally think that the alternate endings are bad due to the lack of build-up.

120 Days of Blueblood by Bronystories and Cheerilee's Garden by Unahim
Gore. These two are great because it accomplishes what it is supposed to accomplish, i.e. nausea. Very detailed and very descriptive.

I can't say. I have way too many fics in my fav's list (go check it out if you dare).

I am partial to others, though. One that springs to mind is Echo, there are a bunch of clops, etc.

So, I can't have a top 10. Not now, not ever.

906859 Sunset and For Want of a Dawn by Ciroton were the first stories I ever read off this site, and they're some of the best adventure stories I've ever read.

If I was to point out my favourite fanfic on this site, it'd have to be AestheticB' The Immortal Game.

I enjoyed a lot of other fanfics but this one really caught my attention and I regret nothing.

906859 Any FOE fic, Past Sins and most related fics, My Little GLaDOS, the Golden Armor, Sanctuary of lights, Featherfall, the Wendigo, it's easier just to look at my list of favorites.

Griffins the Grffins, it's the only reason why I'm interest in the chess game of the gods.

Pink eyes was the first fallout equestria I ever read and it still one of best I've ever read alongside the original.

Pony POV season 2: pearl is for me the best fic of the serie of the Pony POV something about Fluttershy being a villain but still in character make me absolutely love this story.

906859 906865 I have a Top 10 list of my favourite stories on my user page. :twilightsmile:

Showmare Trixie
Group Admin

I really can't say, it wouldn't sit well with me to compare stories of different genres, styles and such for the sake of a linear rating system.

'Loss', I think it's on that list on the same video. Oh my God, that story brought me the closest I've ever been to crying at something fictual, and I wasn't even a full-on brony then D:

Background Pony. It got me on FIMfiction. It's sweet and sad, and I read the comic before I read he story. I'm still in the middle of it, it's really good.

Well, here are the top favourited stories based on the site statistics:

Stories

Story

Author

Favourites

My Little Dashie

ROBCakeran53

Anthropology

JasonTheHuman

My Roommate is a Vampire

Dennis the Menace

Background Pony

shortskirtsandexplosions

Past Sins

Pen Stroke

Sunny Skies All Day Long

PhantomFox

Vinyl and Octavia: University Days

DawnFade

The Unexpected Love Life of Dusk Shine

meme-asaurus

My Little Mommies

3Power

Hands

Andrew Joshua Talon

It's, uh, probably not a good sign that I hate every one of those, save for one.

If three out of four people like potatoes, potatoes are still popular in the group.

907586 Don't worry, I dislike most of the stories on the list, too. (Can't say about some because I haven't read them) It only shows your taste isn't mainstream - and that certainly isn't a bad thing.

The Steadfast Sky is probably one of THE BEST stories I have ever read.

Kinda tough to do more than that, though... I'll have to think on this one.

I've got two, one completed, one in progress.

While it started off as comedy, The Life And Times of A Winning Pony has covered a lot of serious issues, and produced more than a few (manly) tears. It's still going, and I'm probably going to miss it when it finishes.

Of completed, Night Guards was a harrowing ride in the closing chapters. It wasn't easy to read about the climactic fight between Celestia and Luna, and the ending was a wonderful relief.

906859 Anything by me is awesome

Past Sins. Definitely Past Sins.

Okay, it's not on Fimfic, but... NO ONE has mentioned Jetfire's "It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Front Door?"

Seriously... has to be up there with any of the rest.

Kegisak's The Colour You Bleed was one of the first fics I read, and it remains one of my all-time favorites. It was an original take on a Blueblood redemption story and featured more fantastic world-building than most stories I've read since.

Relaxing Dragon's First Week of Winter was the first horror fic I read. With healthy splashes of equal parts H.P. Lovecraft and John Carpenter, it's easily my favorite among the genre.

A Cup of Joe by The Descendant and FrozenPegasus' incredible All Sisters Go to Heaven both tugged at the ol' heartguts. While one is more tragic than the other, I can relate to the characters in both stories through personal experience and the authors' attention to detail when building them.

I'll second "A cup of Joe", and everything else i've read from TheDescendent so far.

I'm rather fond of my own little story - and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of science fiction / dark comedy.

The End

Comment posted by Flutterpony deleted Sep 3rd, 2014
Luminary
Group Contributor

You bumped a thread that's been dead for a year and a half to advertise and link to your explicit foalcon story. :unsuresweetie:
There are no words.

And yeah, I'm sure it is the best in its niche. But it's the only one in the 'serious child sex and marriage advocacy' niche. :rainbowderp:

I'm... just going to delete that.

And seriously. Stop bumping ancient threads from the grave. It's profoundly irritating. And half the people you're responding to in them probably aren't even around anymore. Certainly they won't remember the conversation.

3598952 Aw. Ok.
I found all the threads in the Legend of important Threads to which the guide for new users links.

I was mistaken to think it's a good idea to revive them, apparently, but I've never understood why reviving threads is a bad thing as long as the topics are still relevant. I have no qualms stopping when told to by a mod.

And for what it's worth, I don't consider FA about child rights advocacy.

Luminary
Group Contributor

That thread is, itself, a year and a half old. :twilightoops:
Suppose we shall have to make a new one.

It means I'll have to track down ocalhoun's horse thread from the mists of time. :raritydespair:

In any case, it's less than preferable for the reason I stated. A lot of the people in old threads aren't going to be around. And anyone you reply to probably isn't going to remember the topic. You can always create a new one, to actually get people that are here now.

But still though, don't link to NSFW stuff please. And don't use TWG to advertise your stuff. There's a group for that. :yay:

3598971 Horse thread?
I guess, if it's important, I'll find out.

I can offer counter-reasons for your reasons, but I wouldn't want to risk being in violation of rule 5, and I really don't care either way, anyway. Cheers to you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30