• Published 21st May 2013
  • 1,818 Views, 75 Comments

Rainbow 8 - Koiyuki



Take the human versions of the cast. Add a healthy dose of boxing. What you get is Twilight's quest to prove her mettle, no matter what it takes to do it

  • ...
8
 75
 1,818

Twilight's Workout Journal: Week 3

During my downtime, my trainers and I decided to have a movie night, Pinkie bringing her copy of Monty Python. We were having our laughs and discussing the Ponyville rumor mill, when Dash brought up how much each of us weigh, revealing that Applejack came in at 125 the last time they hit the gym, the exact same weight as me! I was flabbergasted she packed that kind of power into that kind of frame, and openly wondered how that was possible, prompting Dash to reply, “Dynamite Strength” Sensing my lack of understanding, she elaborated on the intensive muscle memory signature to that brand of strength training, the training, itself, said to increase power while maintaining the practitioner's weight level.

Later, she showed me that it starts with 1-3 repetitions, or reps, as she calls them, of a given weight lifting exercise set at the athlete’s absolute maximum lifting capacity-also called someone’s Max Weight, according to Dash. After 5 minutes of rest, they then perform a related exercise involving explosive movement, such of jumping or throwing a medicine ball around, with another 5 minute rest leading into a regiment built around the movements and physical needs their position demands; in my case, that means mine will hone how hard I throw the leather, as well as how much leather I can weather being thrown at me (hey, that rhymed, sort of!)

Pinkie illustrated these principles by first doing 3 Max Weight Deadlifts, then, during the break, taking the medicine ball to the open air basketball court behind the gym and chucking it right over her head, Dash taking flight as it flew far behind her. After she got her reps in, Dash smiled an unfocused smile and said, “Your turn. Remember to lift with your legs, or else you might throw your back out.” I still remember the first Max Weight Deadlift I did, primarily because of how it demanded energy from every fiber of my body.

I squatted down to take the proper form, and not a second after I started the lift did I feel every single muscle struggle to hoist up the bar and its weight plates; as I dug deeper within, I could hear Pinkie cheering me on and Dash barking out her motivations, which, in that instant, sounded about as loud as the heartbeat pulsing in-and possibly right against my chest with every centimeter it rose off the ground. When I finally completed the motion, I let out what was surely a primal shout of victory knowing that, even though Dash was sure to make it harder from there, I was ready for the challenge; what I wasn’t ready for, however, was the quite literal grab bag nature of my regiment.

After warm ups, she flipped a bit to determine whether the upper or lower body would be the focus of the day. From there, she pulled out 2 baggies from her messenger bag, one holding the initial paired exercises, the other, the rest of my day leading up to its bookend: drills and running. Before we began, she explained, “When you adjust to something, you get comfy, when you get comfy, you get lazy, when you get lazy, the way you grow gets slow, and this method does everything possible to counter how the body slows the grow”

Through this method, she revealed many fascinating machines to me, like the Cable Pulley we used to help develop my punching motion power and the highly advanced, “Plastic Pipe Handles on 2 Suspended Ropes,” a personal favorite of her’s that uses the body’s own weight against the user to force them to use whatever they have in them to complete their exercises and grow stronger. It was odd how Pinkie carried a bucket around during these sessions, but when she said it was “For when you finally workout ‘til you puke,” odd grew right into unnerving. When that moment came(quite suddenly, too, during a run), Dash held my hair back and said, “Congrats, Twi, you hit your first wall. Now it’s time to smash through both it and the others you’re bound to run into”

Progress for the Week: I concocted my own combo! 1-1b-2-5b-4, which, theoretically, can force a lot of different options. For example, if they duck the 2, they duck into the 5b, thus setting up for the 4, and ensuring the fight leans towards my favor. Theoretically, of course

Goal for Next Week: Increase my Max Weight, possibly by a couple pounds, or more. Gotta shrink Applejack's advantage by as much as possible, after all!

Song of the Moment: “Come and Get It” by Krewella
This one's a recent favorite for Dash, and I find myself more able to break through my own limitations and keep going every time it comes on. I remember when it came on as my legs felt like they were ready to give way, and this got me right back in the mood to run(although it was also the same run I had to use that bucket for)

Author's Note:

Next week, Twilight and Dash have a 100m showdown at the Ponyville track. It's the student going head to head with the master! Who will win? Tune in to find out!