• Published 21st May 2013
  • 1,817 Views, 75 Comments

Rainbow 8 - Koiyuki



Take the human versions of the cast. Add a healthy dose of boxing. What you get is Twilight's quest to prove her mettle, no matter what it takes to do it

  • ...
8
 75
 1,817

Fight Night in Las Pegasus: Round 7

Granny Smith, clad in her best lime green flyaway dress, chuckled to herself as the crowd around seemed to grow even more blood thirsty. "Female folks is mighty different these days, ain't they?" she said to no one in particular. Braeburn, enthralled by his cousin's brutal precision, adjusted his ten gallon hat and asked, "Why say that?"

"In my day, folks like me were only expected to take care of the home and feed our family." The crowd roared as Applejack landed a solid liver blow. "Now they're runnin' gov'ts, runnin' businesses and runnin' their fists into each other without a second thought."

"And how do ya feel about all that?" He smiled the more he saw Applejack bob and weave, just the way he taught her to during their defensive drills.

"Like that's the way thing's shoulda been!" Granny Smith intently watched her granddaughter chop away with body hooks, the leather loudly clapping against her opponent's sides. "I mean, look at how well Applejack's done, and tell me she can't keep up with the men in the Apple clan!"

"She has done well, but outside of norms and such, I don't think her gender has a whole lot to do with it" Right in front of them, Applejack weaved her opponent's hook into a 1-2-body upper. "It hinges more on if they can find and develop where they're strongest. Lot more fun to be master of a trade, the way I see it"

"That don't explain why she's our only female to do what she's doin'" Braeburn cringed the moment they traded right hooks to the eye.

"Change ain't ever instant. Takes a lotta pushin' to change the world you were born into to the world we know now. Look at Twi, to see what I mean" He gestured to the fighter with a bruise forming below her left eye." I'm sure she went into this knowing the mountain she had to scale, and, throughout whatever she's been doin', found the stuff in 'er she needed to start that climb. Folks like her carve the path for folks like AJ to travel on."

"So what chance are you givin' 'er at reachin' the top?" Braeburn analyzed each flurry the two boxers pelted each other with, hearing their breaths grow louder with each passing second.

"Considerin' that even the strongest folks give their whole lives to make an inch of progress, I'd say about the same chance as findin' a needle in a haystack"

"Because she's facin' an Apple?"

"Because Applejack made someone with a granite chin taste the canvas. In a spar." Granny Smith let out an audible gasp as her granddaughter landed a hard straight to the gut.

"Oh goodness gracious! Always knew she was strong, but never that kinda strong! Has she always been that way?" Braeburn shook his head.

"Our kin didn't see that 'til we got deep into 'er trainin'. The first time that happened, I saw what you're seein' now: once she's locked in, she ain't stoppin' 'til either she does what she sets out to or someone makes 'er-and so far, nobody's been able to make 'er" The bell rang, the swelling under Twilight's left eye seemingly pulsing itself larger as she went to her corner

"And nobody will, based on what I've seen from 'er all these years"

***

"That round was simply fabulous!" Exclaimed Rarity, offering water and a spit bucket. "Keep pressuring her, and she'll fall in no time at all!" Fluttershy massaged her biceps up and down

"Remember to parry punches, too. The opening it makes could be just what you need to put the round away, if not put her away"

***

Dash immediately put ice on the bruise. "I hope that shiner will remind you how much more it'll hurt if you stand in front of her, how important is it for you to dodge more." Pinkie toweled her fighter off.

"A punch that hits air exposes them way more than the ones you block. I mean, after they miss, they're wide open to everything you've got in your arsenal! Remember that when you're working your way inside and working on exposing the holes in her plan."

Author's Note:

Few things are worse for a parent than watching their child take punch after punch trying to hold their in the squared circle. What do they do when the child they'd give everything to protect is beyond anything they can do to protect them? How do they react when it looks like their child is losing the strength to fight back against the forces working against them? Bring back next time and find out!