• Published 21st May 2013
  • 1,818 Views, 75 Comments

Rainbow 8 - Koiyuki



Take the human versions of the cast. Add a healthy dose of boxing. What you get is Twilight's quest to prove her mettle, no matter what it takes to do it

  • ...
8
 75
 1,818

Fight Night in Las Pegasus: Round 10

Soon after they touched gloves, the millions watching on TV saw Hoshikawa's scorecard through 9, giving a 10-8 split for Applejack in the 1st round, 10-9, in the second, 9-10, in the 3rd, 10-10, in the 4th, 8-10 , in the 5th, 10-10, in the 6th, 10-9, in the 7th, 10-9, in the 8th, and 8-9, in the 9th. Both traded right hooks, and Hoshikawa saw them staggering to stay upright, "That look in their eyes right now?" she said, taking note of the piercing gaze each gave the other. "That's the look you get when you can taste the victory you've trained for months. That's the spark you get when the only thing you're running on is what these two are digging deep to find: fumes and fire. Mark my words, someone will be looking up at the lights before this is over"

Twilight's bruise as her target, Applejack fired off an overhead right. Twilight slipped left and shot a head-snapping straight back at her. Applejack stuffed her advance with a jab, then rocked her with a body upper. Twilight ate a hook, in order to uppercut her weaving opponent, both of them starting to feel their legs wobble. Not long after, Applejack started bobbing and weaving everything Twilight dished out, following an 8 shaped trail the faster she went. Recognizing the setup, Twilight let loose a line drive straight, trading with Applejack's thunderous hook, and sending each other stumbling back. They nodded, then circled the ring, waiting on who'd move first. Applejack stutter-stepped, Twilight charging in behind a double jab. Applejack swayed out of range. Twilight weaved the jab that flew at her into a body hook. Applejack popped her upright with an underhand blast. Twilight stumbled about trying to reestablish her footing. Seeing this drew out a wind up overhead from Applejack.

With aching forearms, Twilight blocked and diverted the force, serving up a 1-2 before stepping to Applejack's left. Applejack blocked the incoming body hook and shot off an upper. Slipping out of its path, Twilight threw a hook, then weaved into an underhand. Applejack's weaves ensured they only struck air. While each continued evading the other, Twilight thought, Looks like she's dismantling the Rainbow 8 methodology, as expected. A second after Twilight linked her weaves together, Applejack pecked away with precision jabs to the eyes and gut. Since I don't have Dash's blinding speed, I sense it's far easier for her to dissect and attack than it should be. If my hunch is correct, she'll soon try to shut it, then me down in quick order. A surprise power cross pierced Twilight's block. The punch now an inch away from the bridge of her nose, her instincts took over and let her slip out of danger. If I expect to leave this ring under my own power, I better figure out how she's gonna do it!

Hacking away with hooks, Applejack pushed her opponent around the ring. I can feel it comin', thought Applejack, as each one made contact. Twi can barely defend 'erself, by now, and with how shaky her legs look, I know she don't got the energy to get off the canvas again. The crowd knows it, I know it, shoot, I'm sure even Twi knows it from how loud they're chanting my name! With a deft parry of Twilight's upper, Applejack popped her with a stiff jab. All I need now is make one good shot find a home, so I can finish 'er off. Twilight started a right hook motion, Applejack blocking appropriately and eating a surprise straight. Applejack laughed it off and poured on the hooks and uppers, watching Twilight's head create the now familiar 8-shaped trail the more she avoided each potential finishing blow. Her trusty right hook loaded, Applejack barged in shoulder first, aiming to open Twilight up and make her pay for her stale tactics.

Immediately, Applejack felt like a speeding train crashed right into her ribs. Blocking an incoming jab, she failed to see what belted her on the chin. Her body now failing to cooperate, she watched as a loaded right hook sailed towards what Twilight knew as a fighter's off button. Her head swiveled violently; her mouthpiece flew onto the mat; her body, now as stiff as a freshly cut apple tree, fell face first, Gold Mike screaming "Down goes Applejack! Down goes Applejack! Down goes Applejack! The crowd is stunned silent!" The ref turned her over, seeing the glaze in those eyes, and calling off the fight, the medical staff immediately called into action. To Apple Bloom's horror, they replayed and commentated on the sequence that took her sister down, Hoshikawa saying, "It started off with a counter punch to the body, then after tricking her with the jab fake, popping her with that sick upper and finishing her with a full body hook."

"If I'm not mistaken, that's-"

"My Sunday punch? Yup, that was a perfectly done Akebono Special, and I'm glad to see it's still got that KO potential" Soon after the medical team cleared her, the ref called both fighters to the center of the ring for the official results from Mighty Heart.

"The winner by knockout: Twilight Sparkle!" She wept as her hand was raised, and she yelled, "I bucking did it!" hugging her trainers as hard as her sore muscles would allow. From the corner of her eye, she saw Hoshikawa approach with mic in hand.

"Twilight, that was an amazing way to kick off the night. What was the plan coming in?"

"Well, I knew she had one punch power in both hands, so I had to outlast her, and wait until the time was right to cash in. That was only possible thanks to my trainers, my sponsors, my sparring partners, my-" Applejack stepped in front of her and shot her a piercing stare. A moment later, she patted Twilight on the shoulder and said, "Thanks for a mighty fine match, Twi" With a quick hug and back pat, she flashed her a smile. "Maybe we can do that again sometime?" They bumped fists, and the crowd roared "Applejack!" as she left the ring. Twilight looked to Rainbow Dash, Dash shrugging as Hoshikawa said, "Congrats, again, on the hard fought win, kid" Undeterred, Twilight looked to her supporters, and yelled, "Did you see that, mom? Your little girl did it!" as she made her way to the dressing room

Author's Note:

As one must rise, another must fall. How will Applejack deal with 3 months of training leading to a loss? How will Twilight and the rest deal with what this brings? What waits for them beyond this bout? Tune in next time, and find out!