• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 1,788 Views, 13 Comments

Symbiosis - Fedora



Doctor Whooves Edition 1: Derpy Hooves gets onto a carriage that turns out to be part of an alien sub plot. A mysterious stallion called "the Doctor" rescues her, but the perpetrators are still at large and on the rise.

  • ...
2
 13
 1,788

Electrifying

The TARDIS materialized inside one of the crystal caves, the same one Derpy had been held inside earlier. As the doors of the blue box flung open, a shaft of light poured onto the ponies held in the cell, which was reflected on the shiny crystal faces. Derpy flew out of the TARDIS, closing the door behind her and the Doctor.

“Who are you, that can appear out of thin air?” the older stallion asked, crawling at the Doctor’s hooves.

“Stand up, you don’t need to embarrass yourself,” the Doctor said, “I’m the Doctor, and I’m gonna put a stop to this.”

“Derpy, you’re alive!” Cheerilee exclaimed, embracing the pegasus in a hug.

“I brought help,” she said, pointing toward the Doctor.

“Derpy, you can either stay with them or come with me, but make up your mind fast, I’ve got work to do.”

“Oh, I’m coming with you,” Derpy said, “I’m the only one to get inside that place and come out alive.”

“Fantastic,” the Doctor said, “You lot.... don’t touch the TARDIS. Stay where you are, don’t make a sound. We’ll get you out of this, I promise.”

He withdrew a small device from the pocket of his leather jacket, and pressed a button with his hoof. The device’s tip began to glow bright blue, and he moved it around the perimeter of the glowing barrier, causing it to shimmer and fade.

****

Derpy and the Doctor ran down the hallway, and over the grated floor beneath them. After rounding the corner they were suddenly stopped by a pair of Synax. The Doctor grinned, lifting his hooves as about to surrender.

“Intruders, identify yourselves!”

“After you, I insist,” The Doctor said, taking a bow of mock formality.

“You must tell us your names!” crackled the second Synax, waving it’s transparent appendages angrily.

“You first. Go on, let’s hear them then.”

“We are the Synax! Now identify.”

“I’m the Doctor, this is Derpy. Derpy, Synax, Synax, Derpy.”

“We’ve met,” Derpy mumbled.

The two creatures became four as two more came, sensing distress and hearing the sound of raised voices. The other pair floated behind Derpy and the Doctor.

“Who are these, who wander about freely?!”

“The Doctor has arrived!!!” shouted one of the original two Synax excitedly.

“I’d love to stay and chat,” the Doctor said with a false smile, “But I’ve gotta run, important errands you know.”

“You will not proceed!” The four stated angrily, moving to block the Doctor’s path around the corner.

“Not with you lot in the way,” he said, taking out the device from earlier.

“Make one hostile move and I’ll triplicate your energy supply!”

Before he could activate it, the four Synax hastily moved out of the way, allowing the Doctor to pass. He grinned, pocketing the device.

“Cease this!!!!”

“No, I’m just gonna have a poke around now, see ya!”

He and Derpy tore off down the adjacent corridor, even as more of the Synax were drawn to the disturbance. An entire wave of the crackling jellyfish came floating down in the direction the two ponies were running, causing the Doctor to skid to a halt.

“Detour!” he shouted, taking Derpy with him through a side passage down a flight of stairs carved into the rock. Derpy recognized it as being part of the way to the laboratory from earlier.

“Doctor, you’re heading right for their science lab!” she cried to him.

“That’s just where I was trying to go!”

****

The two entered the lab casually, where they were met by a floating Synax that was much larger than the others. The head Synax! The others gathered behind him, guarding the exit warily while their leader confronted the leather-clad stallion.

“Who are you that evokes such fear in my underlings?” the head Synax said, with a deep buzzing voice.

“I’m the Doctor, and I-”

“He said he was going to triplicate our energy supply if-” started one of the Synax, before the Doctor withdrew his sonic screwdriver and leveled it like a weapon.

“I.... WAS... TALKING!” the Doctor raised his voice. The Synax fell quiet.

“Now then, I was going to politely ask you to show me the nature of your work here,” he said curtly. The big Synax paused, rubbing it’s bottom edge with a crackling tentacle almost like a pony would scratch at it’s chin. Derpy noticed that there were several large crystal stones on an operating table, so she kept one of them quietly and subtly.

“Follow me, Doctor!” commanded the big Synax. Derpy and the Doctor followed him through a passageway, followed in turn by the smaller mass of underlings.

The new chamber was spacious, lined with white metallic walls built over the crystal, and containing what looked like a vertical reactor of some sort, encased in glass and glowing with odd patterns of various colors. Derpy couldn’t even begin to understand what it was made of, but to her it looked like a power generator. Multiple floating Synax underlings worked at consoles adapted to them around the perimeter, while the leader hovered over what looked like a pony, held in a state of sleep. of a pony.

“I will show you what our purpose is, Doctor!”

“Derpy, look away now!” the Doctor shouted

As Derpy looked away, a brilliant light consumed the room, pulsating. It faded after several seconds, and when she looked back she could see that the pony was awake and animated, though it’s cutie mark had vanished and it’s eyes were blank white.

“I am using this form, inhabiting it,” the leader said to the Doctor, trotting up and looking him in the eye despite his lack of pupils.

“You’ve taken that poor creature’s body,” the Doctor said, disgusted, “Why?”

“We need corporeal forms in order to build. In order to reproduce and repopulate. In order to conquer the planet itself!”

“And do what? Make everypony like that?!” Derpy spoke up, “I don’t think so!”

“The masters wish it, and they’ve told me all about you, Doctor. A time lord! The last of the time lords!”

“How’d you know that?” asked the Doctor, his cheeky grin turning sour and into a harsh scowl.

“We know many things, Doctor. Being dependent on electric energy to survive in a non-corporeal form may be harsh living conditions, but it does not inhibit our power to learn!

“Or feel emotions like fear and ambition!” the Doctor barked back, “By the way, can you feel pain too? Or what about empathy? How do you think that poor creature you’ve taken over feels? That stallion- he’s still alive inside that body, but you’ve enslaved him! You’re not only a parasite, you’re worse! You’re taking symbiosis to a new level, and using it to forcibly enslave ponies!”

“What else would we do?” the leader retorted.

“Come with me,” the Doctor said, “I can help you find a way. There are planets out there.... entire races that depend on symbiotic life forms to reproduce. You could survive in peace!”

“No Doctor, it cannot be! The masters command us to...”

“Your funeral.”

“....Doctor,” the half Synax-half pony asked, “You said you were going to ‘triplicate’ our energy source?”

“I did? Hmmm.... shoulda picked a better word. Oh well, hindsight's 20/20." he said.

“Guards, kill him!”

The Doctor cried out as the gathered Synax fell upon him, covering his legs, his side, and the back of his neck and zapping him with their electric energy. He collapsed into a heap.

Derpy backed away from the horrible scene, her mouth agape.

“You’re gonna kill him!” she protested.

“That’s the point!” the half Synax said gleefully, “and after the Doctor’s dead, nopony will be able to halt progress. Your entire species will be like me!”

The Doctor was again crackling with energy from the Synax attack, and reared his torso up into a sitting position. His eyes winced and his mouth hung open trying to choke words out.

"Derpy.... destroy...." he sputtered, "Smash the.... glass!"

Derpy did what he said, and spread her wings to fly into the air, lobbing the crystal stone with all of her might at the reactor’s glass and shattering it in one swift motion.

Broken glass clattered to the tiled ground, and the electric power crackled like bolts of lightning, unexposed and raw. It lashed out, striking at consoles and monitors, frying them in a cloud of acrid smoke. The light flickered, and at once each Synax creature cried out in agony. A horrible wail rose up throughout the room and throughout the entire facility as they died as one, powerless without the energy. The leader himself was the last to cling to life, falling over and drawing shallow, ragged breaths.

The Doctor stood up, his expression somber and his jacket smoking.

“Doc....tor....” the leader groaned, “My .... you killed.....”

“I offered you a way to survive in peace,” the Doctor said, “You refused. I’m sorry, but I can’t let you live by killing off other races. It’s not fair to them.”

“But what..... about..... us?”

“You're nothing but renegades, out to convert another species into your own image. The universe is better off without you," the Doctor said grimly. A burst of light from the sparking reactor danced across his shadowed face.

The half Synax drew it’s last breath, and the life force left it. The pony itself lay dead on the ground, amid shards of glass and smoking consoles. Derpy began to cry quietly, laying herself beside the dead pony.

“He had a name, a cutie mark.... Doctor, can you fix him?” she pleaded, nursing the pony's corpse.

“I’m sorry,” he said somberly examining the body, “It’s too late... why did that kill him? It shouldn't have killed him like that if he was still part pony....”

“I d....d...didn’t know that throwing the rock w...w...would.... destroy all of them,” Derpy muttered, “I thought they’d just be weakened, or something. Get them to stop attack you.”

“Derpy, listen to me,” the Doctor said, raising her chin with the edge of his hoof, “You didn't mean for it to work like that, and you know it. You were willing to extend a second chance to them. Besides,That's not the extent of the Synax race. What we saw were warlike renegades, working for someone else they called their masters. Think about it; if destroying the energy supply was that easy, and even while within a pony shell the Synax leader still perished.... what would have happened if they had achieved total conquest? Your entire species would be gone."

"Both the ponies and the Synax..."

"Right," the Doctor said, "Which makes me think that the Synax were merely a ploy... a puppet to be disposed of by something far more sinister."

“Doctor....” Derpy asked, sniffing, “Who are you?”

The Doctor took a step back, looking up and staring off. There was a shadow over his face, and for a brief moment Derpy could see the weight of guilt on his face. His previously happy demeanor- almost as bubbly as herself- was not to be seen. He turned to face her meaningfully.


“I had to make a choice like that. I chose to save the entire universe, but at a terrible cost."

“What happened?”

“There was a war,” he said, looking up and breaking eye contact, “there was a war spanning across space and time, and it threatened to consume all that existed. It had already done massive amounts of damage to non combatants. Some had their homeworlds destroyed. Some - like these Synax renegades for example- were subjugated by one side. Daleks, I'm guessing. And others were wiped out completely. Totally gone, forever.That’s a burden I carry around, one I have to live with for the rest of eternity.”

“The rest of eternity?” Derpy asked, leading the way out, “You plan on living that long?”

“I might, I might not. I have an awfully long lifespan. Maybe too long.”

“How old are you then?”

“I lost count. Last I checked I was about 900 years old, give or take a few centuries.”

“900? No pony can live that long!”

The Doctor stopped, turning to face Derpy. A sly grin had come back on his face again.

“Oh, I’m no pony.”

“What are you talking about?” she said, uncrossing her eyes and looking him over, “You’ve got a cutie mark, a mane, and-”

“It’s not a cutie mark. It doesn’t control my destiny.... I was born with it. Call it a personal symbol if you will. I look kind of like a pony I guess, I’ve got an equinoid body shape... but I've got two hearts. I’m a time lord.”

He raised his gaze again.

“I’m the last of the time lords.”

****

“Derpy! I heard all of the commotion, and I saw that all the cells had gone offline!” Cheerilee ranted, bounding about, “Thank you two, for whatever you did!”

She hugged the Doctor, and well as Derpy. Derpy had a huge grin on her face by now, seeing the multitudes of ponies clogging the hallways after having escaped from their cells. It was a terrific sight to see, and it even had the Doctor laughing.

“Derpy, I just realized,” he snorted, “They’re gonna want to know the way out!”

“What’s the way out?”

“That’s the thing; I have no idea!”

A crack of morning sun poked through the crystal walls, and Derpy flew up to see what it was. They were underground, this entire facility, and they seemed to be just north of a large city. She could almost fit through the crack.

Zooming over the crowd, Derpy located a door, a bulkhead of sorts to the outside at the top of a massive staircase congested with ponies trying to get out. It was locked, sealed tight from the inside by a keyhole.

“Doctor!” she cried out as the blue-coated time lord bounded in her direction through the sea of escapees.

“Derpy, hold on a second!”

He arrived minutes later, holding aloft in a hoof his sonic screwdriver.

“You’re gonna love this!”

He pointed the glowing blue tip at the lock, and at that very instant it clicked, opening the bulkhead and allowing fresh sunlight to pour into the facility.

The ponies were free.

****

“Well,” said the Doctor, “You did save my life, so I think that entitles you for a reward.”

The pair of ponies were standing in the same field as before, though it was now daytime. The birds were out chirping, pegasi zoomed through the sky, and Equestria was at peace.

“A reward?” Derpy asked, excited, “What kind?”

“Well, you did save not only me, but all of Equestria to boot.... how’s about you can travel with me for a bit? You know, in the TARDIS.”

“Oh but Doctor,” Derpy said, “I can’t possibly. I’ve got Carrot Top, and all of my friends here, and...”

“Funny thing about the TARDIS,” the Doctor said, “It can travel in time.”

Derpy’s eyes crossed for a moment, and her mouth sagged stupidly. She shook her head, snapping her gaze straight.

“WHAT?!”

“Time and Relative Dimensions in Space. TARDIS,” he rattled off, “You can travel to the horsehead nebulae and ride a solar wave and watch the Equestria Games of 1921 and still be back home before dinner.”

Derpy’s frown of disbelief turned into a grin.

“Count me in!” she said, galloping into the TARDIS.

“Fantastic! Where do you want to go first?”

Derpy leaned against one of the support columns of the interior, tapping a grey hoof against her chin. There were so many places to go and things to do, she could hardly make up her mind which to do first!

“I’ve always wanted to visit the future,” she decided, “I want to know if earth ponies and unicorns travel by flying carriages, and not the kind that try to kidnap you! Do they have robots in the future? Robots that do laundry? Robot bakers? OOOooh, I want to eat a muffin cooked by a robot baker, that would be so cool!”

“Robots and flying carriages, fantastic!” the Doctor beamed. He cranked the lever and bashed a panel with a hammer he kept on the multi-sided console. He then leaped over to the other side, pressing buttons and spinning an odd-looking dial.

Outside in the field, the TARDIS’ light began to flash bright blue, and the ship dematerialized completely, fading out from view.

“Here we go then, 30th century Canterlot!”

Comments ( 10 )

Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen a ninth Doctor crossover.

2377023 Ya i have never seen a 9th doctor crossover either. I have to say this was brilliant!:pinkiehappy:

Fantastic! Moar, or I end you.

2400148

Oh, there will be plenty more. :pinkiehappy:

2402324 This pleases Scootaloo. :scootangel:

I can't really comment on the crossover part for lack of knowledge of Dr. Who. That said, the story was still pretty nice.

2377023

From what I can see, this happens about around a decade back from canon time, where most of the stories circle around the tenth. So in a way, it makes sense and is a very novel concept!

9 th doctor is best doctor:moustache:

2862786

My personal favorite out of the three new series Doctors.

In the classic series I like Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee

If I had to describe this in one word.....Fantastic!
.....I think everybody saw that coming....
media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma7nw6m5WE1rqbtmi.gif

Login or register to comment