• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 8,948 Views, 659 Comments

The Royal Ponyville Orchestra - Distaff Pope



Octavia has finally been promoted to first chair, unfortunately for her, that chair is in the new (and as of yet unformed) Royal Ponyville Orchestra. Can Octavia lead the new orchestra to greatness? Probably not.

  • ...
21
 659
 8,948

Day 23: The Diary of a Mad Mare

Well, I would like to start by recanting any comments I made implying that I was the last sane mare in Equestria. As previous journal entries have shown, that is clearly not true. After taking some time to read through previous entries, I was tempted to burn my journal so that I would never have to confront just how mad I had become. My hoof was only stayed when I read through Vinyl’s lovely entry and I decided it would be for the best if I kept the journal as a reminder of just how easily I can fall into madness, and more importantly, how a friend can help me back to sanity.

And since there is a very good chance that Vinyl will read through my journal again, I would like to say “thank you” one more time. You have been a wonderful friend to me, and it is absolute folly for you to think that you are somehow to blame for my previous mental decline. If not for you, I would presumably still be hiding in my hotel room ranting and raving in this very journal. Instead, I now have the opportunity to write a lovely update about my recent and rather remarkable recovery.

After Vinyl rendered me unconscious last night, I spent an unknown amount of time balanced on the border between slumber and wakefulness, reliving the events of the past few days from an outsiders perspective, and watching with a growing since of horror as I saw my increasingly deranged actions negatively impact my friends. Just reading through Vinyl’s journal entry today was heartrending enough, seeing it all in that again through the eyes of a saner mare made my Nightmare Night dreams seem positively timid in comparison. At least then, I was the victim as opposed to the one harming her friends.

Still, I’m here, I’m recovering, and the medicine helps give me enough psychic distance to realize when my thoughts are leading me back towards madness. To paraphrase Doctor Ink Blot, the medication won’t fix all my problems, but it will help me better identify them, and hopefully not act upon them.

Back to the day’s events proper though, when I fully awoke and opened my eyes, I found myself in the lovely white room which is to be my home for the remainder of my stay at the Baltimare Psychiatric Hospital, set to expire tomorrow morning unless it becomes apparent that I need a longer period of treatment. So far, I’ve done nothing too alarming and have contented myself with reading, writing, and speaking with my friends whenever they visit. Also, after some cajoling… No, I am going too far off topic, I need to relate the day’s events properly.

The day properly began with me looking around my room and putting together just what was happening. I was in a white room with padded ceilings and I was strapped to my bed. No great mystery to deduce what happened, I thought. I also noted that I was the only pony in the room, so I would have at least a little time before facing Vinyl and trying to explain my actions. Why in Equestria did I ever think that Homage could come between us? Yes, she had some things in common with Vinyl and they had worked together previously, but to believe that Homage is some sort of diabolical mastermind plotting my downfall is… well, it’s lunacy.

Still, the idea of facing Vinyl and begging for her forgiveness after I had acted so poorly made my pulse quicken, and if not for the medication, I probably would have fallen back into madness in short order. Instead, I took a breath, collected myself, and decided that while I had done quite a few things I regretted, obsessing over them would not drastically improve my situation. Hooray for psychic distance. It keeps a mare sane.

Now that my mind was in order, it was time to focus my energies on getting these bindings undone. “Hello,” I said in the faint hope somepony could hear me, “I am awake and perfectly calm. Would it be possible to remove these restraints?”

My call was ineffective and there were several minutes of waiting before an orderly came in to check on me. He was a red stallion with the image of a strait jacket emblazoned on his flank. A rather unfortunate cutie mark, if I may critique, but beyond that he was perfectly ordinary.

“Ah, hello sir, would it be too much trouble for me to ask you to remove these restraints? I promise I won’t do anything disruptive and I have no intentions of escaping,” I said, giving him my best smile.

He looked me over, “You won’t try to escape will you?”

I shook my head, “Of course not, I realize I am here for a very good reason, and I have to ask, what exactly did you do to make me so coherent.?”

A clipboard floated up next to him and he spouted a nigh incomprehensible stream of medical jargon that I am sad to say I couldn’t quite comprehend. However, I could understand that I had probably taken more drugs in the last twenty-four hours than I had in the last twenty years of my life. “Was I that bad?” I asked when he finished.

“Nah, I’ve seen quite a few worse than you, I mean, there’ve been some real crazy mares and stallions come through these doors. Still, don’t mean your situation isn’t serious. Least you ain’t thrashing about right now.”

I found myself biting my tongue to avoid correcting his atrocious Equestrian. If he was going to let me out of my restraints, I could live with a few double negatives and absolutely abominable contractions. “So will you let me out then?”

“Sure, ya seem harmless enough and as long as you don’t leave your room before the doctor talks with ya I don’t see a problem.” His horn flashed, undoing my bindings, and I relished the ability to move and stretch my legs. “Now remember, ya gotta stay in your room til the doctor’s arrive, then maybe you can move about the ward if they say so. I’ll go and let ‘em know you’re up.”

I nodded my head at him as I got back on my hooves, “I see no issue with that, is there anything I can do while I wait?”

“The girl who had you committed brought a few books and stuff by this morning, we put them on the desk.” As he spoke, my eyes scanned the pile of books and I found my journal sitting at the top.”

“This will be fine, thank you,” I said, stepping over towards the desk. The orderly gave a curt nod and walked out of the room as I picked up my journal and flipped through it, driven by a morbid desire to see exactly how far I had fallen. The results were a combination of enlightening and horrifying, mostly horrifying though.

I believe I have written at length about my reaction to reading through my journal earlier, but I have to reiterate how surreal it was to read my own words, recognizing that I had indeed written them on the page, yet not knowing what in Equestria I was thinking when I penned them. Very quickly, I found myself engrossed reading through my journal entries and trying to decipher just why my mind had shattered so spectacularly. I didn’t notice when the doctor walked into the room until he tapped me on the shoulder.

“Yes?” I said, shooting up on my hooves as I suddenly became aware of his presence. He was a white unicorn with a black blot of something on his flank obscuring his cutie mark. Or it was his cutie mark.

“Good morning to you too Miss Melody, I take it you are feeling better today.” He said before taking a seat next to my desk.

“I am feeling saner, although I wouldn’t say I am feeling better now that I am aware enough to realize how much my erratic behavior must have worried my friends.”

He frowned and shook his head. “It’s recriminations like that that lead to your erratic behavior in the first place. Your friends clearly care for you a great deal and Miss Scratch has come in to check on you every couple of hours. She’ll be by to talk with you soon.”

“Wonderful,” I said, before my focus turned towards the journal and I thought of how wonderful it would be to burn the wretched thing and try to put my madness behind me, “If you will excuse me, I will get back to my reading.”

“In a minute,” he said, “First I would like to ask you a few questions and go over the results of the tests we ran last night.”

“Of course,” I said, pushing the journal away from me, “How silly of me to forget.” So now it was time for the big list of all my imperfections and failings. I baited my breath in anticipation.

“First, I would like to ask a few questions, Miss Scratch answered most of them for us last night, but I would like to confirm a few things with you. Is it true that you are related to one Pinkamina Diane Pie?”

“Distantly, why do you ask?”

“Well, it’s just that the Pie family is rather notorious in psychological circles and have more than quadruple the amount of mental illness in their family than average. Actually, thanks to studying them, we’ve found a series of alleles that can accurately predict the likelihood of mental illness in an individual. Most psychologist’s inaccurately refer to it as the Pie gene, although of course it is a series of genes and…”

I stared at him. “Please speak as if you are addressing a pony who was denied the benefit of higher education.”

“Really?” He asked, looking down at his file, “Sorry, with your career history supplied by Miss Scratch and the letter we received from Princess Luna asking us to take good care of you I suppose I just assumed you went to the Academy as well.”

“You mean the Academy for Gifted Unicorns?” I asked.

“Of course,” he said, “I don’t know of any other schools for…” He trailed off as understanding slowly dawned and he shuffled his papers uncomfortably.

“Anyways, we ran a full MScan on you, and aside from the presence of the Pie gene and what appears to be a case of carpal tunnel in your right hoof, you are a perfectly healthy mare.”

“What?” I asked, my mind scrambling to make sense of his last line.

“The carpal tunnel in your right hoof… I spoke with your roommate about it and she mentioned something about you having ‘hoof-hands’ so I am your other doctors informed you of the condition.”

I struggled to recall the exact term the doctors had used to diagnose my extra-malleable forehooves, but the term escaped me. All I knew was that it was most definitely not called carpal tunnel, and more to the point, I couldn’t understand why the scan said it was only in my right forehoof. “I know that there is a bone defect in my forehooves causing them to be more malleable than average, so I don’t know why-”

“No, not ungula lentesca, that was also revealed in the scans but…” I couldn’t hear him as the pounding of my heart drowned him out. Was this why my right hoof had been so sore the past few days?

“You see,” the doctor continued, “The unique nature of your hooves combined with the accelerated nature of earth pony healing can lead to the bones in your forehooves grinding against each other as they try to mend themselves. The problem would be exacerbated if you have a history of activities that require extreme forehoof dexterity.”

“Would you say that writing in a journal or playing a cello are activities that I should avoid then?”

He laughed, “Absolutely, those are probably the two worst things an earth pony with ungula lentesca can do, I mean…” His eyes flicked down to my file and then back at my journal. “That would explain why you developed carpal tunnel at such a young age.”

“Yes it would,” I said, staring at him, “And while I am all for treating my condition, I have no plans to abandon either activity. Playing the cello and writing in my journal are two of my greatest pleasures in the world.”

“Well…” He trailed off, staring at his files, “I would recommend you make an appointment with a doctor who specializes in this sort of thing when you get back home. We really should get back to the details of your episode.”

I smiled at him, masking my frustration, “Of course, I apologize for derailing the conversation, the news just took me by surprise.” And he gave me more bad news, because that was the one thing I hadn’t had enough of lately. I swear, it seems like every day the world comes up with some fresh new way to torment me. Not to say that I actually believe Equestria is conspiring against me, as the last few days have demonstrated, such thinking leads to unpleasantness on my part.

“Like I said Miss Melody, the MScan revealed that you are indeed in possession of the Pie gene, which means that, unmedicated, you will trend towards extreme paranoia and mania. One minute you could feel positively on top of the world and the next minute believe that everypony you know is conspiring against you. Thankfully, modern medicine has come a long way in the past century and with proper treatment we should be able to prevent the most severe expressions of the Pie alleles.”

“Is that all?” I asked as I glanced back towards my journal, “Any other pronouncements of doom? Maybe you can tell me that I only have twenty-four hours left to live, or that this is all some mad man’s dream, or that-” I bit my tongue as I realized this might be what he was referring to when he mentioned ‘extreme paranoia and mania.’ “You’ll have to excuse me, this is rather a lot for me to take in.”

“It’s all right,” he said, nodding his head, “You are doing much better than you were when you came in here. I will tell Miss Scratch you are awake when she stops in next time. And don’t worry Miss Melody, all of your conditions are perfectly treatable.”

“Thank you,” I said as he walked out of the room and my attention turned back to the journal. “And, thank you Miss Pie for insuring a lifetime of mental illness. Also, I suppose talking to myself isn’t the type of behavior I should be promoting.” I laughed, “At least this time I’m not responding, or… oh dear.”

I shook my head and went back to reading through my journal, finally reading through Vinyl’s entry. Her style was lacking, large sections of the day passed without comment, the narrative jumped from place to place, and there was nary a single line of dialog to be found. Still, it was heartfelt and after reading it, my resolve to destroy the journal vanished. Just as I was putting the journal back on my desk, I heard the door to my room open, and a pair of forelegs wrapped around my neck.

“You’re awake! And looking okay! You like styled your mane and everything.” Vinyll tilted her head around and looked at me. “And no more crazy eyes. How are you feeling?”

“Much better, thanks to you,” I said, leaning my head back and resting it against Vinyl’s chest. “I apologize for my actions yesterday and wanted to thank you for still managing to tolerate me. I hope you don’t mind that I read through your journal entry.”

“Well, I mean, I wrote it in your journal AND I kind of read through a few of your journal entries as well, so… not much to apologize for. In fact, I kind of expected you to read it. Kind of why it sounds like I am speaking with you in it.”

“So, I suppose we need to talk then?”

“About what?” Vinyl asked after kissing my neck, “I mean, you have some issues, you’ve been under a lot of stress lately, you’re apparently predisposed to mental illness, and… I mean, yeah, there is no way I am going to be upset with you about this, just… the next time you start going through all this crazy stuff please don’t leave me in the dark.”

“Then, thank you for being so understanding. I feel just awful about everythi-”

Vinyl cut me off by swatting at me, “Stop it. You were ill. You wouldn’t apologize for having the flu and vomiting, would you?”

“Of course I would,” I said, my back stiffening. “If I inconvenience somepony I care about, I feel the need to apologize. It’s just propriety.”

“Uh… wow, well, let’s stick a pin in that and revisit your crazy sense of propriety later, for now I am just glad you are feeling better. Have they been treating you all right?”

“Everything has been fine. Actually, things here are quite relaxing. Since I have woken up there have been absolutely zero improbable twists of fate, and for the first time in a week I don’t feel like the universe is plotting against me. Of course, that could be because of the medication. Anyways, I am perfectly fine spending a bit more time here.” As I spoke, I savored my marefriend’s particular aroma. She still had the faint smell of sweat from Anthropalooza about her as well as a particular indescribable smell that was uniquely hers.

“That’s great, because the doctor wants you to stay here another day for observation to make sure the medications are working, although that would mean that you would miss the rest of Anthro-Con. Not that you could actually attend it anyways.”

I smiled, “You know Vinyl, I believe I can live with that, although… could I make a small request?”

“Sure! Want me to bring you some Anthro-Con memorabilia? Also, Bon Bon won’t be popping the question ‘til the cruise because she wants all of Lyra’s friends to be there to celebrate. Also also, Lyra is kind of inconsolable about being kicked out of Anthro-Con for trying to rob one of the exhibits.”

“Right, for attempting to rob one of the exhibits in the Anthropology Museum? You touched on it in your journal.”

“Yeah, well, she didn’t try to rob them, she just wanted a closer examination of one of the exhibits and it’s not like the lifetime ban you received, she is just banned from the rest of this year’s Anthro-Con.” Vinyl sat down next to me and rested her head on my shoulder, “We can’t take you anywhere without crazy stuff happening can we?”

“That… Lyra breaking into a travelling museum is hardly my fault, and I don’t think it’s fair that I get a lifetime ban for getting up on stage while Lyra gets a slap on the hoof for attempted breaking and entering.”

“True, but I mean, she is a big name in the anthropology community, like… if they banned one of the most active members of the anthropology community, there would be a lot of upset ponies. Meanwhile, nopony really knows who you are.”

“I am a respected cellist who was hoofpicked by the princesses and… You meant at Anthro-Con didn’t you?”

Vinyl nodded. “Yeah, sorry, some bad word choice there. Anyways, you mentioned a favor?”

A part of me still wanted to fume at the fact that I received a harsher punishment for a lesser crime. Another, much larger, part of me was just glad that I would never have to deal with Anthro-Con again. “Yes, I would appreciate it if you could bring my cello, my back hasn’t troubled me in days and I would love to be able to get a bit of practice in.”

“Sure thing,” Vinyl said, getting up and heading towards the door, “I kind of wasn’t expecting you to be up this early, so I made plans for a brunch with Lyra and Bon Bon, but after that I will bring you your cello. Is there anything else you want?”

As she spoke I realized I had no idea what time it was, but more importantly I realized that I had completely forgotten about my obligation with Lyra. “The costume! I haven’t worn it yet and I promised Lyra I would.”

“I’m sure Lyra will understand, Tavi, don’t worry about it.”

“It’s not that, it’s that we made such a big deal about this thing and now nothing is going to come of it, it feels wrong,” I said, trying to pinpoint just why the idea of the costume not amounting to anything made me so uneasy. For some reason, the idea that there might be details in my life that didn’t lead to anything important was causing a minor anxiety attack.

Vinyl walked over to me as the hyperventilating started and hugged me until I was able to calm myself somewhat. “Tavi, it doesn’t matter. Sometimes there will be things that don’t go anywhere and maybe this thing with the costumes will play a big role later on, but I don’t see what the big deal is.”

“The details Vinyl, when I was reading through my journal earlier I was noticing all these little details that seemed innocuous enough on their own, but when taken in whole might lead somepony to believe that they were placed there for a reason. Now there is absolutely no payoff whatsoever.”

I quieted as Vinyl ran her hoof through my mane reassuringly, “It’s fine, listen, the doctor told you about the Pinkie gene, right?”

I nodded.

“Well, ponies who have it are apparently way more likely to believe that the real life is determined by fictional narrative tropes, and while I don’t completely understand what that me, I think this is what they are talking about.”

“Probably,” I said after I managed to recollect myself. “Still, the fact that all this foreshadowing will lead to nothing doesn’t strike you as worrisome?”

Vinyl pulled her head back and frowned, “Tavi, I didn’t even think there was any foreshadowing to begin with. Things just happen, you know?”

“I suppose, anyways… thank you for helping me the past few weeks, I promise I will make it up to you somehow.”

She rolled her eyes and kissed me on the cheek, “We’ve been over this, you don’t need to make it up to me, it’s enough to know that you will be there to help me out when I have trouble. I mean, you were totally badass when you beat that metal bull up on Nightmare Night. You totally saved my life.”

There was a brief pause as Vinyl realized just what she said and I could see her mentally preparing for my breakdown. Thankfully, due to modern medicine, I managed to keep my composure and instead focus on the compliment. “It wasn’t that noteworthy, I just did what anypony would do. Also, please don’t use the word badass in the future, it is an insult to donkeys.”

“Tavi, you punched iron until it shattered, nopony else did that, and I don’t even think most ponies COULD do that,” she said, laughing. “Also, badass just means really cool, nopony but the most uptight snobs see it as an insul-”

I raised my eyebrow and Vinyl abruptly ended her sentence. “Never mind, it’s… you aren’t a snob-”

I interrupted her again, this time by planting a kiss on her lips. “Vinyl, I know I can be a bit tightly wound, my presence here is testament to that fact, and that most ponies don’t see that word as an insult anymore. I guess I am just a bit sensitive when it comes to any perceived racial discrimination.”

She smiled and returned the kiss, “It’s fine, anyways, I have to get to this brunch, will you be fine on your own?”

“Of course, have fun with Lyra and Bon Bon, and feel free to bring them to visit later.”

“Will do,” Vinyl said as she walked out of the door. After she left, I went back to flipping through my journal and reading through the development of our relationship. Have I mentioned just how much I love her? Even if she did accidentally shatter my ear drums that one time.

The next few hours were slow, boring, uneventful, and absolutely wonderful. Nothing crazy happened and I was free to do whatever I wanted. After I finished reading the journal, I flipped through some of the other books Vinyl brought me, all property of the Baltimare library. Very funny, I thought, recalling our earlier argument in the hotel lobby. They were almost entirely romance novels, but I quickly found myself being engrossed in the first book on the stack. I can’t tell Vinyl I enjoyed it of course, but the book was rather fun and fanciful. and helped make up for Vinyl’s absence.

A sharp knock on the door pulled me from my story and I quickly threw the book back on the desk for fear of Vinyl and Co catching me reading 50 Shades of Hay a perfectly respectable romance novel that has won whatever award you give such things.

“Come in!” I said after I made sure the book was at least somewhat obscured. The door opened and Vinyl, Lyra, and Bon Bon walked in with Vinyl carrying my cello on her back.

“Gotta say Tavi, I don’t know how you carry this thing without magic. I thought I would try it out and I feel like my back is about to break.”

“Well, you haven’t been carrying it with you for the past ten years, so it is to be expected,” I said as I moved to unstrap my cello from her back. She had clearly used her magic to strap the cello on to her back and it showed in the neat way the straps and buckles had been fastened. In contrast, my fastenings were usually quite sloppy, trading appearance for ease of access, and I found myself struggling to undo them.

“Hey Tavi, I love all the touching, but could you maybe stop feeling me up in front of Lyra and Bon Bon?”

Blood rushed to my face as I quickly withdrew my hooves, “I wasn’t go- I was just trying to undo the straps so I could pick up my cello.”

“Really?” She said as she used her magic to undo the straps of my cello case, “Then maybe I should carry this around more often.”

“Very funny,” I said, grabbing my cello case as Vinyl undid the last fastening, and as soon as I made sure my cello was safely on the ground I ran over and hugged Lyra and Bon Bon. “I am so sorry for my rash actions, can you please forgive me.”

“Yeah, of course Tavi,” Lyra said, “I mean, I think we all went a bit crazy during Anthro-Con, or at least I did… and you of course, but what I’m trying to say is that it’s water under the bridge. Also, your big crazy outburst got the whole con upset with you so my little breaking and entering was almost completely forgotten about.” Before I could react, her forehooves were wrapped around my neck, cutting off my airflow, “Thanks for ensuring I can go back next year. We should totally play together once we get back to Ponyville.”

“That sounds lovely,” I said after I extracted myself from her surprisingly strong grip. “I… didn’t we already make plans for a concert?”

“Oh yeah,” Lyra said, nodding her head, “I just wanted to confirm it.”

“Are you feeling better?” Bon Bon asked, “You look okay.”

“Yeah,” Lyra said, jumping up and down happily, “You should have seen her yesterday, she looked all crazy with wild hairs and crazy eyes.”

“Thank you, Lyra,” I said, glaring at her, “Yes, Bon Bon, I am feeling much better today, probably thanks to-”

I was interrupted by a knocking on the door as a nurse walked in with two cups floating next to her. “Good afternoon, Octavia. I hate to interrupt, but it is time for you to take your medicine.” She levitated the first cup down and I saw that it was filled with a variety of multi-colored pills.

“So, how many of these am I supposed to take?” I asked, looking at them, there had to be at least ten pills in the cup.

“All of them. You need to take these every twelve hours, and it’s very important that you don’t forget them,” she said as she brought the second cup, filled with water, on my desk. “If you need a drink to wash them down.”

I started swallowing the pills one at a time, downing them before any of the coating could dissolve and leave an awful taste in my mouth. After the last pill was swallowed, I drank the entire cup of water in the span of a few seconds.

“Wow, that’s a lot of pills,” Vinyl said, “Like, I think I’ve been to raves with fewer pills there.” The nurse shot her a look of contempt and disdain while I managed to ignore her comment.

“Thank you for your time,” I said turning back to the nurse, “Could I please have some time to speak with my friends?”

“Certainly,” the nurse said, nodding her head, “I will be back later tonight.”

After she left, the conversation resumed. “Yeah, so…” Vinyl paused, rubbing the back of her head, “I didn’t know they had you on so many meds.”

I smiled at her, “Neither did I. But they are certainly working, so I don’t think I will complain too much. Still, it would be nice if I didn’t have to to consume the contents of an entire pharmacy every twelve hours.”

She laughed at that, and my conversation with my friends resumed in earnest. For the sake of my forehoof, I will abridge things and just say that we spoke of a myriad of inconsequential topics while I ate a meal that the orderly delivered. Like I said earlier, spending time in a mental institution has made for a lovely vacation so far, and a few hours later, visiting hours had concluded and my friends went off back to their hotel. If I had known being institutionalized was this relaxing, I would have checked myself in shortly after arriving in Ponyville.

With my friends headed back for the day, I took the opportunity to practice my cello for the first time in a week. Oh Philharmonica, how I’ve missed you. the few weeks I was unable to play you due to my broken back were absolutely hellish, and I promise I will never neglect you again… Also, is writing to an inanimate object considered insane? Probably, but Philharmonica is so much more than a cello, she is a symbol of all the best things that have happened to me in Ponyville and when I was playing her I felt as if my time in the accursed town wasn’t that terrible.

The rest of the day passed with me alternating between reading, eating, and practicing my cello. At several times, I looked up from my practicing to find a passing orderly listening to my music. Finally, Doctor Ink Blot came in and informed me that assuming the night passed without incident, he would have no problem releasing me into Vinyl’s custody tomorrow. Who knows, perhaps this vacation will be relaxing after all?

Why would I write that when I know I will be meeting my parents in less than forty-eight hours? I must be crazier than I thought.

Author's Note:

So there are two things I would like to touch upon. The first is that this was a really difficult chapter to write as I was actually dealing with my own anxiety issues the entire time this chapter was under construction. I am feeling a bit better right now, but am still terrified of the idea of going outside and some other minor things. I tried to keep my own issues from bleeding into Tavi's, but I don't think I was entirely successful in that regard and hopefully you still enjoy the read.

Second, if you like or favorite the story that is absolutely awesome. However, what I would really love is if you left a comment with your thoughts. Getting a comment with your thoughts and ideas absolutely makes my day and I love maintaining a dialog with my readers.