• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 4,905 Views, 357 Comments

My Dear Shy - Life in Equestria - Keeper-of-Harmony



Rick Gartners begins a new and vivid life in a mythical world he knows not much of.

  • ...
18
 357
 4,905

Chapter Three

I walked restlessly through the village of Ponyville out toward the direction where the lake was located. The residents of the town were lively and noisily; the mares and stallions were playing happily with their foals, whether they'd be sons or daughters.

There were ponies behind market stands where they were selling quality fruits or vegetables to any welcoming customers. How much it reminded me of the times the city on Earth was once like this. Everybody was happy; they had cars, jobs, families, and a life ahead of them. But when corruption became far too great, everything that was once perfect went downhill. However, I no longer had the sympathy for whatever happened to it. My life here, in Equestria; in Ponyville, where I had a few friends and a loving daughter, was all that mattered to me.

After the tedious journey, I finally arrived at the lake where I would spend the majority of the day doing. Fishing. Fishing was my second hobby before writing. I abducted the habit of fishing when my foster father would always take me fishing with a couple of his jerks for friends. I remembered the first few times trying to fish. I'll be honest, it was the most boring, uninteresting, exhausting experience I ever had during my adolescent years that it made me wish I was dead. Throughout the couple years of fishing, though, I've grown more fond of the peace and tranquility fishing had and I found it very relaxing.

Anyway, I finally reached my usual spot underneath a tall and aged willow tree sitting close to the border of the lake's clear, crystalline waters. The willow swayed smoothly by the gentle breezes, and the bark was pretty rigid and rough throughout the years of aging. The sun was settled at the sky's center, and there was nobody else around but me and the collection of warm breezes calmly passing by.

I gazed into the water, looking at the sparkling flecks of the fiery sun dancing along the lake's surface while I made way to the cool shade beneath the willow's canopy. Sitting down, I rummaged through the saddlebag (which Fluttershy kindly let me borrowed) full of dead twigs, a couple of flints, a bottle of refreshing water, and lastly my handcrafted wooden spear. Trying to catch fish with a spear was really such a chore. Every attempt had to count, otherwise, I'd have to come home without dinner.

Fluttershy wouldn't let me go unrewarded, of course. When the couple previous times where I had fished and returned home without a single catch, she'd whip up a tasty salad sundae (Angel's favorite), with a cherry on top. I'd imagine dessert and salad wouldn't go great together but that wasn't until I had my first dish, and in my opinion, it wasn't all that bad as it turned out to be. Can't compare it to normal desserts. But still, it tasted good.

After I've taken everything out of the saddlebag, I gathered the twigs and had them standing like a miniature teepee with the flint placed aside. Before I did anything else, a large splashing sound caught my astute attention. I glanced at the ripples of the lake and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

"Huh, must've been a fish jumping out of the water," I said, shrugging, then I went back focusing on getting the rest of the dead twigs out of the bag.

There was the splash again, yet it sounded very close that time.

I looked back to the lake... and this time I saw something swimming towards the shore. Curious, I stood up with the spear held in hand and cautiously approached what I assumed to be a fish coming closer and closer to me. Guess first catch is a giveaway I grinned.

There it stopped right almost at the edge of the shore where the water was a foot deep. Since the waters in Equestria were clean and so clear, I leaned in closer to see what the fish looked like. It was... a clown fish, and I don't mean the tropical marine one, by clownfish literally the creature bore a makeup of a clown. It was surprisingly large, too. I lowered my spear and squatted down to get an even closer view.

After looking at it, the fish caught me off guard when it jumped high and squirted a good chunk of water right at my face. I fell backward and became utterly bemused beyond comprehension.

Echoing out of the blue, I heard someone chortling uncontrollably. The sound of his hysterical laughter wasn't any news to me as I knew who the trickster was.

The clownfish disappeared in a magical puff of smoke and there, I saw a very tall, slender creature with appendages of varied animal parts floating above the lake who was bursting into tears of laughter.

"You should've seen the look on your face," Discord chuckled, mimicking my surprised expression. "Priceless, hahaha."

Discord, as I figured it would have been. I should have expected that an actual clown fish was a bit fishy right at the start, but there were times I believed that I have seen everything, like a week ago when I saw wolves made out of timber at the edge of the Everfree Forest across the river. I did remember Fluttershy had told me that they were timberwolves; dastardly beasts that act similar to the normal ones from Earth, except more ferocious.

Losing my train of thought there for a moment, I reverted back to reality realizing my clothes were merely soaked by Discord's prank.

"Heh," I snorted as I rose up, straightening my wrinkled and slightly drenched t-shirt. "That was a pretty good one, Discord."

----------

Moments had gone by while Discord and I shared a few jokes here and there. He told me a time when he magically removed all of Celestia's hair and ate it on a cone-like as if it were cotton candy. Boy did I laugh so hard at hearing that. Of course, it was just a harmless prank, and Discord did say he gave her hair back to its original form. How I wished I was there to see it all, though.

When it was my turn telling a joke, I told him there was a time I met Apple Bloom and her two other friends, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, and when they asked of me where fillies came from, I explained to them that they came from their mother's behinds.

----------

Discord chilled on a floating lawn chair, taking a slight sip of a full glass of chocolate milk. "So, Rick," Discord began, swirling his glass' contents with his lion paw. "How has life been treating you lately?"

I was lying on the ground, my head against the willow tree, arms resting on my stomach and eyes sleepily half-lidded. "It's... okay so far," I sighed, shrugging. "I just want to get my own house and a well-payed job, but I can't do anything until I receive notice of Princess Celestia's message."

"Hmm," Discord hummed casually, readjusting his sunglasses. "Yes, that does sound troublesome, although it wouldn't surprise me if they much as decline the permit."

I turned my head at the draconequus, raising a quizzical brow. "Wouldn't surprise you?" I questioned. However, I just tossed the thought aside. "Ah, suppose you're right. Wouldn't surprise me either, given that they've never seen anything like me before."

"Perhaps they have, or perhaps they haven't," said Discord, spawning a trash bin with a snap of his talon whilst sipping the last of his chocolate milk.

"And what's that supposed to mean, are you saying that there's somebody other than me they've seen?"

Discord held the glass above him, his tongue sticking out to savor one last drop of his drink. He stared briefly into the glass, probably thinking if there was any more left. Then, he tossed the dishware in the trash bin and with another snap of his talon the bin disappeared.

The Spirit of Chaos sat up straight and bent his back forward, letting out a loud *crack* or *pop* that made me shudder. "Well," Discord grunted. "It appears that I must bid my farewells, Rick. But before I go I'd like to talk to you about one simple thing."

I too rose up and stretched while shooting a curious look at Discord. "And what would that be?" I asked.

"It's about that weapon you hold in your suitcase." Discord replied.

My brows narrowed. "You know you had no right to snoop in my belongings."

"Oh don't look at me like that, Rick," said Discord flatly, crossing his arms. "I only say this for Fluttershy's safety. Do you think it is necessary to hold on to something as dangerous as that?"

"I have it so I can protect me and my dear Shy. You don't have to worry."

"Me? Worry?" Discord pointed a claw on his chest in question. "I am the god of chaos. I needn't worry about small, ridiculous things. However, as I said before, I'm just saying that it probably isn't needed. If there is any trouble with Fluttershy at all, I will be there faster than a heartbeat." Discord took an x-ray monitor and held it over his chest, revealing his tiny, beating heart.

I stared down at the ground, with a palm covering my mouth. "I'll think about it," I said.

Discord perked a calm smirk. "Good. I must be off, for there is a chocolate fountain in Ponyville calling my name."

"Chocolate fountain? But I was at Ponyville's park not too long ago and I didn't see any chocolate fountain."

"Hm, hm, hm. Not until now," laughed Discord, wringing his claws. With a snap, he disappeared.