• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 4,905 Views, 357 Comments

My Dear Shy - Life in Equestria - Keeper-of-Harmony



Rick Gartners begins a new and vivid life in a mythical world he knows not much of.

  • ...
18
 357
 4,905

Chapter One

Morning arrived when I heard the early birds chiming from outside and inside Fluttershy's cottage. The rays of the sun eventually made direct contact with my face as I felt the burning sensation. I then grumbled and shifted away from the obnoxious glares. However, the back of my head was getting hot and sweaty as I felt a trail of sweat run down my temple. The irritating heat finally awoke me that I sat up stretching my arms far and wide.

Yawning, I rubbed the sand out of my eyes and slowly cracked them open. Everything was blurry at first, but after blinking a few times my vision became much clearer. I shifted my sight to the direction of opened shutters on my right where the rays were beaming out from. There, I had a clear and perfect view of the sun goddess' star peaking halfway out behind the mountainous horizon. It illuminated the landscapes of Equestria with a vivid brilliance like it is breathing life into it. The great yonder above slowly converted from a fiery orange glow to an oceanic blue as the sun climbed higher and higher in the sky.

Everything here wasn't much different compared to Earth, yet Equestria had the most beautiful verdant landscapes I ever did see; the towering trees of various kinds, as well as the blankets of grass waving in the breeze, looked so healthy and colorful- in fact, they looked greener than the grass back at home.

I groggily stood up and took a glance around the bedroom and Fluttershy's empty bed. Since I couldn't find her, I hunched she had already woken up before I did. So with a couple of stretches and a mild jog down the stairs to get the blood pumping, I stepped off from the final stair-step while scratching the back of my bed head, grimacing at how oily my hair feels. I stopped and peered down at a familiar white rabbit sitting inches before my very feet like he'd been expecting me.

"Mornin' there, Angel." I greeted him with a smirk.

The snowy-white bunny also perked up a small smile, waving in return before he scurried off to the cottage's front door.

I met Angel on the second day of my stay here in Fluttershy's cottage. He was quite a sentient; the most intelligent rabbit I had come across. Whenever Fluttershy would ask of him for something he would reply either by nodding or shaking his head, or by doing charades even. Heck, I wished animals were that understanding in my world.

However, he wasn't a nice guy when I came into the picture and acted rather... "rude" (if I had to put it kindly as possible). Supposedly it would have to do with him meeting someone new, at least that was what Fluttershy told me. It took me some painful attempts at getting on his good side. I had Fluttershy explain to Angel that I raised her and kept her safe when she was on Earth, and once he had understood it all, he and I became buds.

Calling it pretty ironic; when Fluttershy had her very own pet rabbit named Angel, who looked vaguely similar to the one here in Equestria, she and that pet of hers were the best of friends. And here I am getting along with the other Angel. But, I would slightly cringe at the painful reminder of Angel's death, the one from Earth, of course. I remembered the way Fluttershy cried, the sound of her wailing and the grimacing look on her face when she found out he died. My heart felt like it got torn completely in half when I heard her cry for the very first time. I had never witnessed such grief, and I would pray it won't have to happen again to our Angel here. Hopefully not for many years, anyway.

I snapped to reality after hearing the sounds of birds chirping, and continued my way into the living room where Fluttershy was presumably in. When I ducked and passed through the threshold, sure enough, I saw my daughter sitting down on her haunches, humming softly to herself while tending a gray mouse whose squeaking indicated like it was in pain. Fluttershy tore off an end of the gauze and wrapped it around the mouse's tiny left arm diligently.

"There you go, little fella," Fluttershy cooed motherly-like, putting the bandage roll back into an open medkit beside her and closed it. "Now, what have we learned?"

The mouse squeaked a few times.

"That's right," Fluttershy nodded. "Never think anypony will leave a piece of cheese lying around. Still," her eyebrows partially narrowed. "Shame on that pony!"

The rodent gently wobbled its bandaged arm and smiled. Grateful, the mouse went over and gave Fluttershy a long and tender hug before it scampered back into its newly found hole of a home in one of the cottage's walls.

That was one of the things I love about Fluttershy; whenever there were animals who wanted or needed help, she would be the perfect pony for the job. Illnesses? She could diagnose. Injuries? She could treat them. There wasn't anything Fluttershy couldn't do when it came to animals. She was, after all, the Element of Kindness; she was my dear Shy.

I took another step forward, and the creaking sound of the wooden floor caused Fluttershy's ears to prick as she straightened up. She turned her head left, looking at me with a sigh of relief.

"Good morning, Father. Did you sleep well?" she asked warmly, trotting towards me with the medkit carried in her left-wing.

I knelt on one knee and allowed her to trot in for a hug. Combing my fingers in her mane running down from her neck, the silky strands of her hair were undeniably silky, soothing as each of my fingers brushed through them without encountering any knots.

"And a good morning to you too," I replied, planting a small kiss on her forehead. Letting go, I stood back up to my feet. "That mouse another guest I should be introduced to?"

"Oh I haven't given her a name yet," Fluttershy replied, moving over to a cabinet planted on a wall left of the threshold I came in from. "She tried to take a cube of cheese from a mousetrap in another pony's house, and luckily her left arm was the only thing that got injured," she explained.

Fluttershy used her right wing to open the wooden cabinets, and inside of them were filled with assorted rows of medical supplies: pill bottles of various cures, cough drops, and other medicinal ointments. She stashed the medkit inside and closed the cabinet. She then lowered her head and stared at the ground, loathing. Part of me always found it uncharacteristic seeing her loathe. Then again, the situation did involve an injured rodent.

"The nerve of somepony!" Fluttershy scolded again out of the blue. "Why would they want to hurt such a delicate creature. All she wanted was some food...." she said sullenly.

I slightly flinched as I felt the pang rushing through my heart again. I hated seeing Fluttershy so sad and depressed. As a father, it was my duty to comfort her when she necessarily needed it, so I approached her and once again knelt to stroke the sullen mare's elegant mane with a gentle hand.

"I wouldn't know why, either," I said sympathetically. "But we can be thankful that she didn't end up... you know."

"I know..." Fluttershy sighed. She swiveled her head to look straight into my eyes as her perfectly-round, large orbs were reflecting with that of dread.

I moved my hand from the top of her head to her face's left cheek, rubbing away a single tear with a thumb. "Maybe they don't get it as you do. I'm sure whoever used that trap would have known they've made someone upset, they'd probably feel very, very sorry," I said. "But the good thing is that your new friend is still alive and feeling better after you patched her up. If you're sad, then I'm sad, and I'm sure we wouldn't want to ruin such a perfect morning feeling gloomy."

I saw Angel pop from atop the thickness of Fluttershy's mane, nodding.

"See," I pointed at Angel with my other free hand. "Even Angel agrees. So why not we put the thought aside for now and enjoy this beautiful time of the day?"

"O-okay..." Fluttershy murmured, pawing the floor with her hoof.

Given the sound of that depressing tone, I stood up, thinking about what I could do to cheer her up. "Hmm," I hummed thoughtfully, stroking my chin. Seconds later, an idea had sprung. "I'll tell you what," I started. "Why not we take a trip down to... Sugarcube Corner, is it? And we can have your friend Pinkie Pie make you your favorite dessert: a simple cupcake filled with whip cream in its center and vanilla icing slathered on top. What do you say?"

Exhilarated, Fluttershy's lips rose with a smile. "That would be delightful," she said, fluttering excitedly. "But," she briefly glanced around the squirrels, rabbits, ducks and other small creatures surrounding her. "It's almost feeding time, and I can't just leave my animal friends unfed for a while longer. That'd be unfair to them."

"I know you're obliged to care for your animal friends, but you can't always stay cooped up inside your little home most of the time almost every day."

What are you talking about? You pretty much did the same thing back on Earth. Talk about being a hypocrite. My brain pestered me.

'That's a whole different story.' I retorted. 'Fluttershy is just... well, shy! I have a different reason why I'm anti-social.'

Yeah, yeah. Being neglected and all that holla-boo-loo-wee. My brain mocked matter-of-factly. But your "daughter" wants to stay and feed the animals she considers as friends. Which seems to make her happy. Isn't that what you want for her?

'...'

At that point I had nothing else to say, although my conscience was right. If Fluttershy wanted to do what makes her happy, I should encourage.

"Actually," I shook my head. "Nevermind what I just said. You're right. It would be unfair to them. So how about this: I'll be going fishing, and later on, after fishing, I'll make a pit stop at Pinkie's place and bring the cupcakes along the way back."

Fluttershy perked her head up at me again, smiling brighter than before. "Thank you, Father," she said happily.

"You're welcome, my dear Shy," I replied with a heartwarming grin.

I headed over and sat down on the green, dwarf-sized couch in the living room, letting minutes pass by while I went through an imaginary checklist of today's plans inside my head. After I would have to change out of my pajamas and into my clothes I would have to visit Twilight's place so I could return a book I borrowed.

Next, I would have to stop at Rarity's if she could patch a hole in one of my blue jeans. I wouldn't be sure if she were able to but I figured since our clothes weren't any different, she should have no problem patching a simple hole.

After I would get all those chores done, I would be able to then take the rest of the day fishing at the lake.

Getting up, my left shoulder suddenly popped with a jolt of pain.

"Ah!" I winced, groaning loudly.

Fluttershy, who was about to head out to do her daily chores around the house, came galloping back in.

"Father, are you okay?!" she asked, panicking. "Do you need to go to the hospital?!"

I waved with my other hand as a sign of 'no need to', then rubbed the painful soreness on my shoulder.

"No, no," I groaned with gritted teeth. "Either the muscles are contracting or somehow the shoulder's joints dislocated. Nothing to get too worried about."

Fluttershy quickly fluttered over next to me, examining the lower front of my shoulder with her hooves. "I think your shoulder may have dislocated," she confirmed.

"Okay..." I excessively inhaled. "I'm going to need you to do something because I can't do it myself. I need you to grab hold of my hand..."

"U-um, okay..." Fluttershy stuttered. She did as I said and grabbed the base of my palm nervously.

"Alllriiiight," I exhaled and braced myself. "Pull as hard as you can, but don't do it until I count to three. One..."

"Um, Dad, I don't know if I-"

"Two..."

"Is it going to hur-"

"Three!"

She pulled my arm hard as she possibly could, and I screamed out to God at the top of my lungs. My agonizing scream was so loud if Luna were still banished on the moon she probably would have heard it.