• Published 2nd Feb 2012
  • 1,560 Views, 30 Comments

Fluttershine - 20percentpegasister



Fluttershy, Rainbow, Pinkie, Rarity, and Applejack fight the battles of high shcool together.

  • ...
1
 30
 1,560

Chapter 4~The night is mine Part 1

A crisp breeze waltzed in through the open windows of the clubhouse and caused the curtains to flap gently. The scent of late fall tickled my nose. It was three in the afternoon on Friday, just an hour or so after I had been truly accepted into my new group of friends.

Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash lounged on the large rug in the center of the room. The three mares were engrossed in what seemed to be a very intense game of cards. Rarity was sitting behind me on a cushion, humming gently to herself while magically running her jewel-encrusted brush through my mane. I shivered as the fine bristles poked at the nerves on my neck.

"Has anypony ever told you what a lovely mane you have?" The unicorn asked as she pawed at my blush-pink tresses with her hoof. She continued without letting me respond.

"It's so relaxed and silky. Not too curly and not stick-straight, either; just perfect for styling!"

"Thank you, I don't really bother doing much with it, though."

"Oh! That reminds me, Fluttershy, would you mind stopping by the boutique over the weekend? I have some manestyles I want to practice and I can't really see the full effect they have without a model. I've tried to persuade Applejack and Rainbow to help me, but you know how they are. And Pinkie Pie, well....."

Rarity and I both turned out heads simultaneously to glance at the bubbly earth pony. Pinkie's mane was in her usual messy poof that reminded me of the candy floss I ate at a carnival once. I could never imagine her without it. Her mane was her trademark, just like her upbeat attitude and sugary coloring.

I had really been looking forward to a couple quiet days alone with my animals, but I was definitely not about to turn down a chance to help one of my friends.

"I would be happy to help you, Rarity. Should I come to Carousel tomorrow morning?"

The white mare gasped and clapped her hooves together in delight.

"That would be perfect! We could have breakfast together and even go to my favorite spa afterwards! We'll have the best time together, Fluttershy, just you and I!"

Rarity wrapped her forelegs around my neck and hugged me from behind. I giggled as she withdrew moments later. The unicorn resumed treating my mane with long, even strokes, and picked her song up right where she had left off.

The stillness of the afternoon was disrupted by cries of triumph coming from Applejack, followed by an annoyed groan and thump as Rainbow Dash fell backwards, letting her hand flutter to the floor.

Applejack chuckled at the defeated pegasus in front of her.

"Aw it's okay, Rainbow, it ain't gonna kill ya to lose just one measly game of cards, now, is it?"

"But I hate losing." Dash sighed. She was now laying on her back with her forelegs folded across her stomach, frowning at the rafters.

"Ooh, ooh! Can I lose too? Can I?" Pinkie Pie dropped her cards as well and mimicked Rainbow Dash's position on the rug.

"That's...not the point of the game, Pinkie. You have ta actually try an' win." Applejack glared at the earth pony, unsure of exactly how to respond to her strange behavior. Then again, with Pinkie Pie, nothing could really be considered strange.

"Well, DUUUUH!" The pink mare rolled her eyes.

"I just didn't want Dashie here to feel lonely!" Pinkie smiled and reached over to pat the mop of multicolored mane beside her.

"Yeah, thanks." Rainbow Dash rolled over onto her stomach and settled her chin on her hooves.

"Anypony know someplace we can go hang out? I'm gettin kinda bored being cooped up in here." The pegasus looked longingly at the wide, spacious skies and fluffy clouds that were showing through the open window.

Pinkie Pie popped up suddenly, grinning from ear to ear.

"I know a great place we could go!"

Rainbow's rosy eyes lit up and she bolted up from her spot on the rug, hovering just over the earth pony's head.

"You do? Where is it? Do we know anypony there?"

Dash's eyes were already gigantic ovals from her excitement, but they seemed to widen even more as she gasped and placed both her front hooves on Pinkie's shoulders.

"You're not gonna take us to see the Wonderbolts, are you? Well, I kind of hope you are, but how would you get tickets? Their entire Equestrian tour is sold out already! But just imagine it, everypony in the stands watching with anticipation. All would be silent. And then, out of nowhere, WOOOOSH!"

Rainbow Dash flew a loop around the clubhouse at daredevil speed.

"The Wonderbolts would come flying in! And with Spitfire as their fearless leader, they would perform stunts that ordinary pegasi can only dream of pulling off! They might even do their legendary Starcross routine! I've never seen it, but I heard it's amazing!

The excited pegasus preformed a string of aerial loops flawlessly before descending back onto the shaggy rug, her face beaming as her imagination flew free.

Applejack tapped Rainbow's muzzle playfully.

"But did Pinkie actually say that she had Wonderbolts tickets?"

The happiness and wonder on the cyan mare's face was quickly wiped away and replaced by a crestfallen expression.

"No, not really." Rainbow mumbled.

Pinkie Pie giggled and began bouncing in circles.

"Well I think you'll all have lots of fun there, I know I always do!"

I felt Rarity's brush pause in mid-stroke, then pull its way out of my mane, guided by the telekinesis radiating from her horn.

"But where exactly is this, ah, 'fun place' of yours, Pinkie?"

"I can't tell you, silly! That would ruin the surprise!"

Rainbow Dash stood up and trotted towards the door.

"Well, we better get going! Don't wanna be late, right, Pinks?" The speedy pegasus was in her usual hurry.

Pinkie Pie bounded across the room and blocked Rainbow's path.

"Not so fast! It's still too early to leave! Besides, we need to get ready!"

Dash shrunk back and glared at Pinkie.

The pink mare turned to address Rarity, who was busy packing her brush away in her saddlebags.

"Do you think you can help us, Rarity?
❀❀❀

After long hours of tedious work at Carousel Boutique, we were all finally ready. Rarity, as instructed by Pinkie Pie, broke every single one of her fashionista's rules as she brushed, powdered, accessorized, and readied all five of us. We stopped outside the boutique in the dim twilight, admiring our reflections in the large windows.

I stared at the translucent, butter-colored mare that seemed to be a ghost trapped in the glass. I smiled at her, and she copied my every move. Her pink mane, now straightened, seemed to flow like a river out from underneath the black beret perched atop her head. A skinny, neon green scarf had been wrapped around her neck, stylishly paired with a string of hot pink beads that overlapped it.

The feeling I experienced standing there was new to me. My reflection seemed like an entirely different pony; a pony who was sure of herself, a pony who had confidence, a pony who could let go and have fun without worrying about anything; the pony I had always wanted to be.

As I turned around, my mane fanned out and followed my movement. I galloped towards Rarity, who was forcing Rainbow Dash against a wall, levitating a compact and brush in front of her.

"No no no no no! It's fine, it didn't smear. It's perfectly fine!" Rainbow cried out desperately.

"Nonsense, Rainbow Dash! There's an enormous streak of blush running clear from your eye to the corner of your mouth! Oh, and all that dreadful fallout, ugh!" The unicorn clucked disapprovingly as she swirled the bristles of her large brush into the rosy pigments. Her hoof rubbed vigorously at the pegasus' left cheek, the numerous bangles around her foreleg jingling as she did. Using her magic, she then dusted a small amount of makeup in the same place. Rarity squinted and pouted her lips in concentration as she surveyed the rest of Dash's face.

"Well, I guess that will have to do for now."

Rainbow Dash grimaced and took to the sky before Rarity could do anything else to her face. The unicorn whirled around and flashed a grin when she saw me standing behind her.

"Fluttershy! Terribly sorry to keep you waiting! Was there something you wanted to ask me about?"

I returned her smile and shook my head.

"No, I just wanted to thank you for doing all this. I feel amazing; beautiful, even!" I spoke breathlessly as I wrapped my dear friend into a quick hug.

"Darling, you don't need me to be beautiful." Rarity pulled back to look me in the eyes. I felt a lump forming in my throat and tears threatening to spill. I sniffled quietly. No pony had ever called me beautiful before. Happiness stirred inside me and made my heart glow.

"Is that how we're s'posed ta feel? Cause I just feel kinda....frou-frou." Applejack, having overheard our conversation, walked up beside us. She adjusted the glittering cowpony hat sitting awkwardly on top of her braided pigtails.

Rarity rolled her eyes at the tomcolt mare.

"You're lucky I'm in the right mind to not attempt to stuff you into a corset." The unicorn smirked as she teased Applejack.

The orange earth pony put on her best sarcastic face and gasped.

"Lady Rarity, are you callin' me fat?"

"Not at all, dearest Applejack. I just wouldn't want to have to rush you to the Ponyville hospital because you had passed out from the excessive tension around your middle."

"Yea, that oughta get ya nice 'n sweaty." Applejack smacked Rarity's wither playfully.

After gently pushing the farm pony away, Rarity looked back at me and brushed a stray strand of my mane back behind my ear. Her face softened as she noticed my eyes glistening with wetness.

"Now, now, don't get all teary or you'll end up ruining my hard work!" Rarity's soothing voice brought me out my state of shock and almost unbearable joy.

I giggled and wiped away a few tears that had escaped. Rarity winked at me before strutting back inside the boutique to put away her makeup.
❀❀❀

"Shhhh! Everypony quiet!" Pinkie Pie instructed us. The friendly conversation floating in the air was immediately silenced. As the evening fell quiet, Pinkie lowered her head to the ground, as if she were listening to some underground melody the rest of us were deaf to. Rarity shifted her position, causing her bangles to chime. Pinkie Pie snapped her head up and scowled in the unicorn's direction before returning her ears to the ground. After listening intently for a minute, the pink earth pony's giggles broke the blanket of silence and she began shaking her rump and bobbing her head.

"Come on, girls, let’s go!" Pinkie Pie began galloping towards the town square. The rest of us all shared a flush in our cheeks, that was not the effect of Rarity's makeup, but simply exhibited our overpowering curiosity and wild excitement as we ran at a steady gait to catch up to our pink leader.

As our pack progressed deeper into the heart of Ponyville, our canter slowed to a bouncy trot. Our hooves struck the road, and a steady clopping echoed through the air. My eyes must have been the size of robin eggs, for there was so much to look at. All the familiar buildings and landmarks appeared entirely different under the glow of the moon. It was as if the night was a costume they wore to disguise their diurnal counterparts.

I was so enveloped in gazing at my surroundings that I didn't notice our group had come to a halt until I bumped into Applejack. I started to apologize, but she cut me off and jerked her head in Pinkie Pie's direction.

Pinkie had stopped in front of a small building. It looked to be a residential building of some kind, the same size and general shape as all the other Ponyville condominiums. What made it look rather odd, though, was the fact that pieces of black tarp were nailed across each and every window, providing no clue as to what lay inside.

Pinkie Pie tapped her hoof on a wooden plank leaning against the outside wall. The plank shifted and was pushed to the side, revealing the massive hole its purpose was to cover. A large, grey stallion came out through the opening, his expression impassive. I tried to avoid looking directly at him, but I could still feel his cold stare piercing through the private walls of my mind. The stallion skimmed his gaze over all of us before narrowing his eyes into two smoky-blue slivers and speaking.

"Who are you, mares?" The stallion's voice was low and rough, which made him sound like an old dog barking at strangers in his territory. Nopony dared answer him. I glanced around for Pinkie, frantic. She was hiding around the corner of the building, trying to stifle a laugh while not looking the least bit worried.

"Well, who are you? Show me your marks!" The stallion had come closer. The edge to his voice told me that his seemingly short patience was nearing it's end. I could feel my brow sweating and my heart pounding in my breast. I was afraid this stallion would fall into a rage any moment. I hoped, no, prayed to Celestia and all else that is holy for Pinkie Pie to come out of her hiding place and save us.

"Oh, Stroke, you take this whole thing way too seriously!" Pinkie trotted back around the corner, giggling uncontrollably. The stallion's expression softened and he turned around to face her.

"Mena, is that you?"

"I don't know, is it?" Pinkie Pie smirked as she lifted her puffy pink mane off of her neck. The grey stallion walked around to her side and appeared to be examining the spot where she had pulled her mane up. As he did, Pinkie made it her business to finally introduce us.

"Brush Stroke, these are my friends, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash. Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash, this is Brush Stroke. He works as a bouncer here, and is a very good friend of mine."

Brush Stroke had finished looking at Pinkie Pie's neck and let her mane return to its original spot.

"Hey. Sorry you guys had to see my mean side first, but duty calls."

"Terrifying, isn't he?" Another brief gale of laughter escaped the pink mare. Brush Stroke gave her a gentle shove.

"Why don't you ladies come inside, we need to give you your marks." Brush Stroke motioned towards the hole with his hoof. Rarity chewed on her lower lip. Applejack fiddled with her hat. We were all intimidated by the strange place Pinkie had taken us. Apprehension and a flickering spark of paranoia lined the edges of our thoughts and transformed our wild eagerness into reluctance and fear. All four of us lingered there, staring nervously into the deep hole.

"Come on, girls, what are you waiting for?" Pinkie Pie left Brush Stroke's side and trotted over to where we were standing, looking concerned.

"What's going on? Is there something wrong?" All traces of Pinkie's bubbly smile and playful attitude had disappeared, replaced by uneasiness. Her eyes bounced back and forth between us, trying desperately to coax a response out of somepony. Pinkie Pie stepped closer and lowered her voice to a whisper.

"You do trust me, don't you?" I still swear to this very day that I saw her mane deflate just the slightest bit.

Even though it had been merely hours before then, I had sensed a strong presence of reliability in my friends from the moment I had met them. I felt safe and loved, which was something I had rarely gotten the chance to experience as a filly.

I stepped forward and wrapped my forelegs around Pinkie's neck.

"Of course we do, Pinkie Pie. You're our friend, for Celestia's sake! Now, let’s go in there and have a good time."

She nodded at me, her smile returning, and galloped back towards the entrance. We began filing in, one by one, with Pinkie at the head of the line.

"What was that all about, Mena?" I heard Brush Stroke ask Pinkie Pie as discreetly as he could.

"Girl stuff, you wouldn't understand."

"Of course not."

The edges of the passage were rough and jagged, and scraped my back as I walked through. Normally, I would have turned around to check that I wasn't wounded, but I was too distracted by the contents of the small room we had just entered.

Comments ( 5 )

Well, I finally decided that you have all been waiting long enough. I've split (what used to be just) chapter 4 into at least two or three parts, just so it could fit in a little better with the rest. I have all of part two and most of part three done, so expect those coming soon!

D'awww, everything about this story is cute! :rainbowkiss:

Though I have to admit, due to the length between chapters, I have trouble remembering what happened previously and need to go back and check. I'm not trying to force you to go faster, but may I suggest putting short "Previously On" bits at the start of new chapters if they take a while to be released? That way, we can refresh our memory and not have to go back and check. :twilightsheepish:

889407 I was considering doing something like that since this is going to be a multiple part chapter, but I wasn't sure exactly what to put so that it would make sense. I'll think about it some more, thank you.

889425 No problem! :pinkiehappy:

Please, continue!

Login or register to comment