• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 8,281 Views, 300 Comments

Taboo Feelings - abdlpony



Sweetie Belle is a normal filly, at least she thinks so. But even among her fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders, she had always been different. Maybe it was some slight bouts of immature behavior or taking after her older sister.

  • ...
66
 300
 8,281

Twilight's Help

“This has got to be a joke... but she seemed so serious!” Sweetie Belle was not one for skimming through topics. She had read the marked section in the book over and over. None of it made sense. At least, that’s what she wanted to think, but a lot of it did. “I’m not like that... am I?”

She thought over what the book was implying and concluded that it was at least half correct, but the book did warn her that no two ponies were exactly alike and that part made sense. Everything else she read seemed to only get half of how she felt right. It seemed to address a more extreme way of thinking about what she was, and it made her wonder how accurate it was for Pinkie.

“Where do I even start with all of this? Who could I talk to?”

Pinkie already did all that she could, it seemed. Everypony else she knew was instantly ruled out; the sheer embarrassment that would come from telling somepony close to her was a huge deterrent. With a few steady breaths, her thoughts became more calm and calculating, even if only a bit.

Mom and dad are out; I’ve seen them do some pretty goofy things but this would take the cake and just scare them I bet...

She set the book down after glancing over the section of her obsession once more and sighed. “Would Rarity listen? Nope, it took a fight just to get her to join me in the Sisterhooves social...” Sweetie’s brain scanned over the ponies she knew well, and even some that she didn’t, as she desperately tried to think of one that could offer an unbiased opinion into her troubles.

Pinkie Pie would have to sit this one out until Sweetie could decide for herself. Is that why she kicked me out of her room, so I could decide on my own? Hmm...

“Twilight...” It was the perfect choice and for a gleaming second all felt well, until she realized that Twilight, was in fact, best friends with her older sister. She then reasoned that Pinkie was too and Twilight was essentially the town’s psychiatrist; it wasn’t her title but it might as well have been with all the ponies that she had indeed helped. Eventually she decided that Twilight was her best bet to sort her feelings out. Sweetie Belle hid the book under her pillow and dashed out of the boutique once more, silently thanking Celestia that her sister had not noticed.

Her short trip to the library however felt like an eternity because her thoughts would not just linger or stop. What if Rarity finds out and she tells Mom and Dad and they— She shook that thought aside and took a few more steps toward the library. What if they force me to stop? Sweetie took a couple more steps but stopped again. Should I just keep this a secret forever? Should I ever tell Mom? Or Dad… A few more steps were forced. Should I just force myself to stop and— Sweetie Belle stopped in her tracks when she realized that she almost ran into the door of the library. She grunted and forced herself to open the door, walk in, and shut it gently.

“Twilight?” Just calling out her name brought forth a fresh wave of nervousness. She was going to go through a full on conversation regarding herself and it was with a mare that had once enchanted a doll for her to fall in love with.

“I’m up here, Sweetie.”

Sweetie walked up the stairs and found Twilight buried in a pile of books. When Sweetie reached the second floor she froze; Twilight was obviously busy with some complex project, going back and forth between reading books and taking notes. It only made the filly more nervous that she was going to be breaking Twilight away from something important.

“Did ya need something?” Twilight asked while not taking her eyes off her book.

“Yeah...” Sweetie waited patiently for Twilight to turn up from her book, and she eventually did with a quizzical expression that Sweetie could swear had a hint of annoyance. “Um, you see Pinkie, gave me this book...”

“Okay?” Twilight pressed while not getting her meaning at all.

“...About Pony Psychology...”

“About... Oh, um, was it about the same subject that she...” The mare practically mumbled, not wanting to utter the phrase with other ponies around. Sweetie nodded and noticed the same problem, the library was full that day. “Right. Spike?”

“Hmm?”

“I have an issue to deal with, you’re in charge for a bit. We’ll just be in my room.”

“Kay.”

Sweetie Belle began a little game in her head she liked to call Hurry Up Or I’ll Scream. It had been at least twenty minutes since they had walked into Twilight’s room and the mare had not stopped checking notes and a few other books while glancing back at the filly a few times.

“Okay—“

“Finally!” She then sighed when she realized her mistake. “Sorry... Twilight.”

“Uh, it’s okay... Anyway, I’m not really a psychiatrist but I can keep this a secret if you like.”

“Yes please...”

“Even from Rarity?”

“Do you really think that—“

“Yes I do. Rarity loves you more than anything in this world and I don’t think that she has it in her nature to hate you over anything. Even if that thing is wanting to engage in foal related activities—“

“I can’t help it ok—“

“I know, I had to help Pinkie overcome that and even then it took a while. I meant nothing by it, Sweetie. As I was saying though, I don’t think Rarity would ever hate you based on this, but we would have to tell her gently.”

“...Do you promise that she won’t be angry or something?”

“Yes, I promise that. But for now we need to focus on you first. I take it you feel embarrassed about all of this?”

“I really don’t want to be though! Pinkie kind of helped, but only for a few minutes then I went back to just feeling wrong. Except with my doll though.”

“Your doll?”

“Yeah, it’s an old doll from my momm— from Mom. It doesn’t make me feel guilty or anything.”

“So this makes you feel guilty?”

“Oh, yeah, I guess I forgot that it makes me feel guilty.”

Twilight nodded while thinking over her next words carefully. She did not wish to give the filly bad advice, but she also did not want to give it behind her parents back. “I can give you advice, but you have to promise me to speak with your sister about this also. Can you do that?”

“Uh, can I think about it and still get the advice?” She asked in a hopeful tone.

Twilight actually did consider this before shaking her head. “How about a compromise? Since my advice relies on you feeling more comfortable, you can wait before telling her, but you will tell her.”

Sweetie considered it for a moment and nodded her head in agreement.

“Good, now even though— Wait, what did Pinkie tell you?”

Sweetie sighed and shared her experience with the pink mare. Twilight’s expression changed from shock to understanding to anger and back to understanding.

“Oh, Pinkie... Well, even though she was mostly correct I feel that Pinkie may have overstepped her boundaries when it came to helping you. So for now I would like for you to take it slow when you do have free time and vent your feelings out.”

“You mean by playing by myself?”

“Well it doesn’t have to be by yourself, but if it helps then yes. And I’m sure Pinkie would be on board for any of these... activities I’ve listed for you. But I think she wants Rarity to at least know before you continue with her. Make sense?”

“I guess so. You think all of this stuff will help?” She skimmed the list and already a few of the things looked questionable.

“Absolutely, if you vent your feelings then you will be less likely to daydream and will start having fun with your friends again!” Twilight grinned, but just hearing that caused Sweetie Belle to sigh and look down.

“Twilight, I—“

“You’re afraid?” A silent nod was all she received. “Well... I probably shouldn’t say this, but Pinkie was too.”

“Really? Pinkie?!”

“Yeah, but not for long. Just try a few things on the list and experiment. There’s no need to go overboard, but just try a few things when you have some free time.”

Sweetie took another look at the letter as she realized that it unraveled to the point of actually hitting the wall on the other side of the room. “You call this a few?”

“I just wanted to be thorough, Sweetie. I’d recommend you borrow those blocks from Pinkie and play with your doll more, but you also need to ease yourself into the more... well I guess I would say just practice more of those activities until they feel natural.”

“And then I’ll stop daydreaming and starting having fun?”

“Well, what do you think?”

“I— hmmm, Twilight?”

“Yes?”

“Is it just Pinkie and me that are like this?” Twilight blinked a few times but did not respond.

“Twilight?”

“Sorry, Sweetie, but I can’t say. If you don’t feel comfortable playing with Pinkie though, then I’m sure you can at least talk to her about this, right?”

“Yeah, sure...” The filly ran through a million ponies in her mind to try and figure out which one in her town had approached the librarian about their issues. “Was this it?”

“Oh, for the most part. You can also take this book home, that might explain a few more things, but that’s it!”

“Thanks Twilight.” Sweetie Belle did not feel like she had accomplished anything, she still felt empty inside.

“Sweetie Belle, it’s going to be alright. This isn’t the end of the world and if you really want this to be a secret then that’s how it will stay. Except for maybe Rarity, but that’s all.”

“Okay,” was all Sweetie could say at that moment.

Twilight had done her research extensively and was quite passive when dealing with the filly. There was no anger or pity or hate, just understanding. Sweetie got the feeling that Twilight understood far more than she was letting on but it did help, even if she still was not thrilled about it all.


“Now what, Dolly?” The doll gave no response. Sweetie Belle nervously shut her door and made sure that she could not hear Rarity. Satisfied she was hidden enough, she began to role play, but her heart did not feel like she was into it and thus she gave up halfway in and sighed. “It’s more fun with Pinkie...”

She set Dolly aside and looked over the list to try and find something that she could enjoy on her own. One of the items gave her an idea.

Sweetie Belle soon found herself inside her sister’s room, eagerly waiting for Rarity to come upstairs after calling her name. She took one last glance at the list before rolling it back up with her magic and giving out a silent prayer that her plan would work.

Dress Up Play.

“Sweetie? What are you doing in my room?”

“Uh, I was wondering if you wanted to dress me up in some outfits.”

Rarity took a moment to mentally go over Sweetie’s words before she made sure that what she heard was correct. “Are you feeling alright?”

“Uh...” Sweetie Belle thought over her options before coming up with a new plan. She felt impatient for trying it, but she figured it was going to come out one way or the other. “I’ll be right back!”

“Okay...” Rarity said, unsure how she should be reacting.

Sweetie had returned while using her magic to levitate her new book in front of her sister’s presence and set it down. “Read this!”

Rarity curiosity glanced over the cover of the book before turning back to the filly. Sweetie Belle nodded slowly and urged her to read.

“A-alr-right, I’ll read this... Sweetie.”

“Just don’t be mad, please?”

Rarity caught a glance at her sister who looked sad. She nodded and gave a small smile while glancing through the first few pages. Sweetie Belle sighed in relief on the inside while she patiently waited for her sister to make any noise other than the turning of pages.